Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    maybe they sneak his soul into the sepulcher to use zovaals spent vessel to give him new life - castle nathria was merely a setback

or it's part of their 5D super chess and they use the silithus sword like a syringe to create a super-denathrius-titan-soul which will be titan+++ omega enhanced level +1

Transmedia Narrative is also something Bellular has brought up repeatedly. WoW definitely has a problem with requiring it at the moment. It is fine for Blizzard to make cliffhangers that carry over between patches and expansions. But they need to have the payoff and continuation come along in the next one. If they want to make it later in the next expansion, they need to leave us some breadcrumbs to follow and remind us of the story arc so far. This is one of those problems that Ion already admitted they goofed up on. When he was interviewed by Millenium, he said:

"If you ever need to read a book outside of the game to understand a major quest or plot in the game that is World of Warcraft, then that would mean that we would have caused significant narrative disruption."
    For example, Legion released on August 30th, 2016. On the Horde side, we followed Sylvanas through Stormheim eventually climaxing with her fighting Genn and the Soul Cage being destroyed. And that was it. We never knew why she was doing what she was doing, although the obvious assumption was she was trying to get more Val'kyr to raise more Forsaken. Genn even helps us along with this assumption when he says he says "You took my son's future. And now I've taken yours." after Eyir escapes.

But now, 6 years later, the gap has been filled.... by a book. It is fine to flesh out things that cannot necessarily be shown in game. Think of it like the novelization of a movie. I'll use the movie Aliens as en example. The novelization can add Ripley's thought process about why Newt is so important to her. It can also show the Xenomorph Queen's rage at Ripley for flaming her eggs. The movie cannot do that.

To map that onto a WoW example, we should have been told about Anduin's proposal to reunite citizens living in Stormwind with Forsaken family members who were "living" in Lordaeron and the resulting massacre that happened there. But the lead up to it, the thought process, and discussions each side had leading up to the event are fine to be relegated to Before the Storm. Or things like the actual opening of the portal that ushered in the Legion's reentry to Azeroth. It adds some additional flavor, spice, whatever you want to call it, but every player who goes through every expansion should consistently know what is going on at all times.

Hopefully Dragonflight will fix this problem. Obviously they are keeping Denathrius in reserve for now. And we know the Nethrazim will make a comeback especially since the only ones who are possibly perma-dead right now are Mal'ganis, Kin'tessa, and Varimathras. The leader, Tichondrius, is still around. So is Detheroc, Balnazar, Anetheron, etc. Not to mention there's the payoff for Lothraxian.
    Last edited by Eosia; 2022-04-26 at 01:47 PM.

I wouldnt be surprised to see the primus and sire to be the true bad guys of SL and with us just leaving them access to the ZM they'll both return fully empowered to go back to cosmicland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Except it would only be "textbook" confirmation bias if I fully believed that a third spec was actually coming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by garicasha View Post
    So Big Daddy Denathrius gets his soul sucked into her at the end of the Castle Nathria raid encounter (great fight with great voice acting BTW), then I remember the Dreadlords or someone steals the sword as … part of the second venthyr quest line?

But where’s the sword now?

I loved that plot line, I’m mad it seems to have been dropped.
    It was dropped. I was expecting to see him as another boss in the Sepulcher, but alas, that is not the case. Much like the "Neptulon's rescue" storyline was dropped, so was Sire Denathrius' reappearance.

Maybe, just maybe, we might briefly see him again in future expansions as a one-off thing, like perhaps a beaten-up boss of a dungeon a-la Kael'Thas in Magister's Terrace, but chances are slim to none.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Maybe, just maybe, we might briefly see him again in future expansions as a one-off thing, like perhaps a beaten-up boss of a dungeon a-la Kael'Thas in Magister's Terrace, but chances are slim to none.
    I don't think they intended him to be beyond Castlevania... er I mean Castle Nathria. I think Blizzard saw how much we liked the character and had to do a quick job in preserving him for later use. Think of him more as Kil'jaeden in the Sunwell from Burning Crusade.

Quote Originally Posted by garicasha View Post
    So Big Daddy Denathrius gets his soul sucked into her at the end of the Castle Nathria raid encounter (great fight with great voice acting BTW), then I remember the Dreadlords or someone steals the sword as … part of the second venthyr quest line?

But where’s the sword now?

I loved that plot line, I’m mad it seems to have been dropped.
    Where did Knaifu go? Where did Azshara go? Will Il'gynoth return as a First One?

The Denathrius plot was probably one of those that got cut halveway through when Blizzard realized they couldn't deliver a 9.3. I doubt anything from SLs will ever be mentioned again, considering how hilariously bad the writing was. Danuser just wanted his waifu saved from execution, the rest wasn't judged important enough to give it screentime.

Quote Originally Posted by Maleific View Post
    It will become the next DK artifact in Legion 2.
    This is written as a joke, but now I really like the idea. I could imagine something pretty fun coming out of wielding a sword with Denathrius inside of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisei View Post
    Where did Knaifu go? Where did Azshara go? Will Il'gynoth return as a First One?

The Denathrius plot was probably one of those that got cut halveway through when Blizzard realized they couldn't deliver a 9.3. I doubt anything from SLs will ever be mentioned again, considering how hilariously bad the writing was. Danuser just wanted his waifu saved from execution, the rest wasn't judged important enough to give it screentime.
    The Xal'atath entity possessed a body and disappeared through a void portal, presumably returning to the Void itself or to an unknown location. Azshara did likewise after we rescued her from Ny'alotha - although she is likely on Azeroth somewhere, possibly returning to her palace in Nazjatar to brood. Il'gynoth was completely unmade when Ny'alotha was destroyed by the power of Azerite - since that is where he had fled when he was defeated within the Nightmare back in Legion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Le Conceptuel View Post
    This is written as a joke, but now I really like the idea. I could imagine something pretty fun coming out of wielding a sword with Denathrius inside of it.
    That would be awesome, IMO. I'd be happy to have a DK Artifact type weapon that had a personality like Xal'atath and Aluneth did back in Legion, especially one as humorous and bloodthirsty as Remornia.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    The Xal'atath entity possessed a body and disappeared through a void portal, presumably returning to the Void itself or to an unknown location. Azshara did likewise after we rescued her from Ny'alotha - although she is likely on Azeroth somewhere, possibly returning to her palace in Nazjatar to brood. Il'gynoth was completely unmade when Ny'alotha was destroyed by the power of Azerite - since that is where he had fled when he was defeated within the Nightmare back in Legion.
    I know this all I was making a comparison to other plot threads that have yet to be picked up and might never again unless someone in Blizzard finally figures out what "The true seat of power" is or that Il'gynoth is the essence of the thousand truths of the void itself that has no real form and thus cannot be destroyed.

Safe to say that neither Denathrius nor Azshara have anything to do with Dragons so unless the expansion takes an unexpected turn (and expecting plot twists from Blizzard is something you just shouldn't) we will have to wait another 3 years for any answers to these questions.

As much as I like the idea of returning to Azeroth and doing things there, Blizzards constant cliffhangers are annoying. The Jailor literally talked about ANOTHER universe-ending threat, one that scares him. Maybe we should fucking look into that? Check the archives of Zereth Mortis to figure out what he means and then prepare?

But...ooooh dragons!!! Well, who cares about the universe anyway, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisei View Post
    I know this all I was making a comparison to other plot threads that have yet to be picked up and might never again unless someone in Blizzard finally figures out what "The true seat of power" is or that Il'gynoth is the essence of the thousand truths of the void itself that has no real form and thus cannot be destroyed.

Safe to say that neither Denathrius nor Azshara have anything to do with Dragons so unless the expansion takes an unexpected turn (and expecting plot twists from Blizzard is something you just shouldn't) we will have to wait another 3 years for any answers to these questions.

As much as I like the idea of returning to Azeroth and doing things there, Blizzards constant cliffhangers are annoying. The Jailor literally talked about ANOTHER universe-ending threat, one that scares him. Maybe we should fucking look into that? Check the archives of Zereth Mortis to figure out what he means and then prepare?

But...ooooh dragons!!! Well, who cares about the universe anyway, right?
    This more smacks of "I'd prefer something else" than any other kind of objective complaint - which is valid enough on its face, but still kind of subjective. WoW is full of world and universe-altering changes that never get resolved or don't get revisited until much later (when they become plot relevant). We actually defeated the Burning Legion and Sargeras in Legion, ending the Burning Crusade which was a universal and omnicidal threat to existence, only to immediately start fighting over magic rocks discovered in Silithus at Legion's close. We never addressed the end of Sargeras, the defeat of the Legion, or what that means for the universe as a whole - just pushed on into a new arc without so much as a "by your leave."

So no, I doubt Denathrius or Azshara will be relevant to the events of Dragonflight, but it's not really necessary they be so, either. The death of Deathwing and the breaking of the Twilight's Hammer in Cata weren't relevant to MoP, either. Though the events of Shadowlands will still get oblique and indirect references, such as Turalyon being the new High King of the Alliance as a result of Anduin's travails with the Jailer, I doubt its primary story-line with the Jailer and a possible cosmos-ending threat will be relevant until later on. Besides, the Shadowlands has its own council of god-like beings who can look into matters in our stead while we deal with issues closer to home, and as adventurers, we sort of go where we're needed at any given moment and deal with the crisis du jour. When the universe starts ending, you can be sure we'll be there as part of the events of 1X.0.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

This more smacks of "I'd prefer something else" than any other kind of objective complaint - which is valid enough on its face, but still kind of subjective. WoW is full of world and universe-altering changes that never get resolved or don't get revisited until much later (when they become plot relevant). We actually defeated the Burning Legion and Sargeras in Legion, ending the Burning Crusade which was a universal and omnicidal threat to existence, only to immediately start fighting over magic rocks discovered in Silithus at Legion's close. We never addressed the end of Sargeras, the defeat of the Legion, or what that means for the universe as a whole - just pushed on into a new arc without so much as a "by your leave."
    Nah, I am fine with dragons. Looking forward to Evoker and such. Just feel the difference in tone is very jarring. Like a plot of universal importance is forcefully ground to a halt so we can explore a little island on our little planet and play with dragons and stone bois.
    Even without the Jailers warning there are things that seem more important right now. Okay, the humongous sword stabbed into our planet is apparently just a splinter at this point, fair enough. But maybe we should see someone about the fact that our planet's world soul apparently affords enough power to remake reality? That is worrying, right?

Besides that. Our characters have gained knowledge that should not just be glossed over. We now KNOW what happens after death. We might even have enough pull with the Arbiter to be send to a paradise of our choosing. Does death really have the same meaning for us with this knowledge? Do we even care if we die, or if others do? Will Kleia sometimes appear as our Spirit Healer and we have a mana bun with Revendreth tea before she resurrects us?

This expansion has created so many questions that just shoving it under the carpet and pretend like we are normal adventurers that will look at Dragon ruins as if they were something special after all the things we have seen might just be breaking my suspension of disbelief.

Quote Originally Posted by Austilias View Post
    Blizzard put it behind a glass box, to be broken in case it's ever needed again.
    Bingo. Right there next to the recently "in case of emergency: break glass" shattered box with the Wrathion plot hooks seeded from island expeditions and all the other ones they've planted lately.
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Usernameforforums View Post
    Gotta have them dreadlords return somehow, the team rocket of wow.
    I like this take a lot.
    So sad that we didn't somehow explode them in SotFO

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Bingo. Right there next to the recently "in case of emergency: break glass" shattered box with the Wrathion plot hooks seeded from island expeditions and all the other ones they've planted lately.
    Hey, nothing against those plot hooks.
    Beats getting random ass opponents out of thin air.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thank god they are saving cool characters for another day instead of just killing everyone like they did in TBC. I understand people who didn't read the text are like "where is X? Y?" but it's perfectly normal in most games with a story to have characters' fates be unknown to the protagonist - except WoW, where the default is to transform everyone in a loot piñata.

I mean, there's still people who think the Sword in Silithus is relevant. How can a player be this obtuse about such basic plot? Jesus.

10+ Year Old Account
    That would be awesome, IMO. I'd be happy to have a DK Artifact type weapon that had a personality like Xal'atath and Aluneth did back in Legion, especially one as humorous and bloodthirsty as Remornia.
    Remornia kinda reminds me of the "singing sword" you could find in Baldur's Gate 2 early on in the game (starting zone, if memory serves) who was quite humorous and bloodthirsty and its catchphrase was "Murder death kill! Murder death kill! Mwah-hah-hah!"
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...