10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    I doubt he does.

China has very little to gain and a whole lot to lose getting closer to Russia. I don't know who else is Russia hoping to align itself with.
    I know it won't happen, but I kinda want to see a return to the less antagonistic relations during the '60s until the early '90s between China and the US. That would be, in a way, the icing on the cake.

Russia could align itself with North Korea? Not sure what the use would be...

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Nah he is specifically trying to draw old Soviet lines. An alliance against Russia in his head means he at least regained a portion of the USSRs command for respect.
    Yeah, but what Soviet lines?

The whole of the Warsaw pact is in NATO. Hell, he couldn't even hope to restore the old Soviet territories either as the Baltics are in NATO too, and Ukraine is not going, willingly or otherwise, that bridge is burned to ash.

And I don't think Putin is, even in his current state, delusional enough to think that these Chinese have any interest in becoming his puppets.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    I know it won't happen, but I kinda want to see a return to the less antagonistic relations during the '60s until the early '90s between China and the US. That would be, in a way, the icing on the cake.

Russia could align itself with North Korea? Not sure what the use would be...
    It's not quite as far fetched as you'd think....Xi Jinping won't live forever, the Chinese are capable of course correction.

It would be quite easy for them to achieve detente, just go easy and light handed on the Taiwan thing and do a bit more carrot and less stick in the South China Sea and we can all keep happily buying everything Made in China.

It's possible. I think Ukraine was a lesson for China on what any attempts to take Taiwan might end up looking like, and I'm sure as shit that's not something Beijing is interested in repeating.

But we will see.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not quite as far fetched as you'd think....Xi Jinping won't live forever, the Chinese are capable of course correction.

It would be quite easy for them to achieve detente, just go easy and light handed on the Taiwan thing and do a bit more carrot and less stick in the South China Sea and we can all keep happily buying everything Made in China.

It's possible. I think Ukraine was a lesson for China on what any attempts to take Taiwan might end up looking like, and I'm sure as shit that's not something Beijing is interested in repeating.

But we will see.
    Oh, I know it's not as far fetched as it was even two months ago, but Xi doesn't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon. I do see that more Chinese businesses are reluctant to do business with Russia and I can't imagine they'd be this hesitant without direction from Beijing. In the end China is out for China and they benefit from a stable and peaceful world just as much as we do and that's not what's happening right now. Xi needs to be re-elected this year, which should be a formality, but this might just throw a spanner in the works. But, as you say, we'll see.

The Ural-Brent price difference.

They are selling at a discount of $35 a barrel. Sounds like they are desperate to offload it at near any price.

- - - Updated - - -

Gas supplies back on for Poland. Bluff called. Sounds like Russia needed Poland a lot more than Poland needs Russia.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Bluff called. Sounds like Russia needed Poland a lot more than Poland needs Russia.
    ROFL! A real power move there, Russia!
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gas supplies back on for Poland. Bluff called. Sounds like Russia needed Poland a lot more than Poland needs Russia.
    Well, you can't wage war without money now can you? /s

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I’d imagine because a number of GOP representatives, think tanks, PACs and general hangers-on have ties to Russian money and these across-the-board popular sanctions against Russia and broad support of Ukraine within the US is complicating them receiving that money.

Moreover, the democrats have had no chill when it comes to condemning Russia, which could be tremendously politically advantageous for the democrats. And the GOP can’t be having that either.

So, in essence: “try and make Russia into a complicated gray area where nothing can truly be known and wouldn’t you rather just have lower gas prices?”
    AnCap types in particular have been carrying water hard for Russia since the beginning...so it's not surprising to see Rand being Putin's little bitchboy.

And the gas appears to be off again to Poland and Bulgaria.

10+ Year Old Account
    And the gas appears to be off again to Poland and Bulgaria.
    Honestly this is just going to accelerate Europe weaning itself off Russian oil and gas. What does Russia think they are accomplishing here?
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    Honestly this is just going to accelerate Europe weaning itself off Russian oil and gas. What does Russia think they are accomplishing here?
    It's one of those "we don't need you" kinds of things where they're too proud to admit they are worse off without them. Putin will keep digging down believing he's about to find gold when he's just digging his grave.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

They've got nothing else left than bullying and threats. They just don't understand that this inane behavior will only cause the west to further distance themselves from ruskiland. How much would it cost to build a giant dome around that place, to seal it off from the rest of the world for good?
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2022-04-27 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Finlandia WOAT View Post
    What confuses/annoys me is he could just say "look I'm sad for the Ukrainians but we need to focus on America" or something. But he instead tries to give validation to Russia's irridentism?
    The Russia paying for his re-election might have something to do with it?

No clue if he actually gets Russian money, but it tends to be a good guess more often then not.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    The Russia paying for his re-election might have something to do with it?

No clue if he actually gets Russian money, but it tends to be a good guess more often then not.
    Can't they investigate... in the name of national security for example.. who is compromised by russian interests? Since they are now a hostile nation pretty much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Thanks Biden!

U.S. intel helped Ukraine protect air defenses, shoot down Russian plane carrying hundreds of troops
    Many people have been asking why so many Russian senior officers have been getting killed. Well, if we extrapolate from this article, "Ukrainian forces have used specific coordinates shared by the U.S. to direct fire on Russian positions,” might have something to do with it.

Imagine what real-time intelligence they are getting that we dont know off.

I've been saying from the start, the Ukraine has been given intelligence info on everything in the Ukraine (And parts of Russia) that casts a shadow by the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

The price of oil and gas has tanked due to the Chinese lockdown, Russia showing they are willing to cut off gas has a high chance of increasing the price without them losing much. If that doesn't work it's good propaganda showing them fighting back, they don't send much to those two countries compared to the rest of the EU so it's win win either way.

It is interesting to note some of the countries that turned up at the gathering in Germany for talks on assistance to Ukraine - the NATO/EU countries were there (including Ukraine, Sweden and Finland) but also countries from Asia, Africa, Oceania and the Middle East. Reportedly it included Jordan, Israel, Morocco, Tunisia, Qatar, Kenya, Liberia, Japan, South Korea, New Zealand and Australia.
    It also prevents Russia from painting it as a NATO meeting.

Tbf at this point NATO should be extended to include countries around the world, including South Korea, Japan, Australia, NZ etc.

The UN is super and stuff, but an actual security guarantee through NATO is far more valuable. We've seen that Russia is nothing but a toothless bear, now is the time for countries to join in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    It also prevents Russia from painting it as a NATO meeting.

Tbf at this point NATO should be extended to include countries around the world, including South Korea, Japan, Australia, NZ etc.

The UN is super and stuff, but an actual security guarantee through NATO is far more valuable. We've seen that Russia is nothing but a toothless bear, now is the time for countries to join in.
    Might aswell, but they dont have alot of need for that in the present, all those countries are already in multiple mutural defence alliances with the us + india and several european countries and are quite entangled with eachother (ANZUS, QUAD ect ect).

So it would be mostly symbolic and abit moot, as those nations main focus is naturally going to be inside their own hemisphere; and the threats & issues they face there. Still if any of those are attacked, 100% nato will be pulled in/ back them up.

Yeah they finally got bullied into it.

The only question is whether Scholz can find a way to delay the actual delivery until it won't make a difference anymore, or he actually sticks to his promise here.
    I'm so frustrated with my government. They still don't seem to realize that this actually is the Great War of our times. Still the beginning, still at the stage where we might get away with throwing money at the problem, but even so we failed "never again" and have to fight now. It's still only one country but 1/4th of every Ukrainian is displaced already.

We let Ukrainians do the actual fighting and dieing and I'm frustrated that my government is reluctant to provide Ukraine with everything they need. If Ukraine fails German soldiers are one step further in line to fight and die. Fucking Scholz has to get that into his thick head.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is an interesting thread on a possible post-Ukraine by a supposed FSB informer. Spoiler alert, Kadyrov is getting himself ready to make all hell break loose

https://twitter.com/igorsushko/statu...61793716408320

Its like deja vu all over again. Russia's rebel proxies have accused Ukraine of firing over the border at them. This time its the Moldavian proxies. As if Ukraine would be starting anything while it is fighting off the Russians.

I'd like the Russkies try and spin this. "Yes, we have spent the last 10 weeks (of a 3 day operation) destroying the Ukrainian army, but now they have attacked our puppets so we must mobilise all of you and send thousands more to die."