Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The thing is, while they have made clear statements about no borrowed power, they're being sneaky about things here.

They said dragon riding has an inital leveling process that will eventually progress over time, and no information on weather or not in the future for sure it -will- appear in Azeorth.

IN short, Dragon riding IS the new borrowed power, in disguise.

Its them saying:

"This isnt borrowed power."

Observant Player: But you have to level it up, progress it, and its seemingly only available in Dragon Isles.

*Blizzard Sweats*.

I mean...

Borrowed power by defintiion isnt just a boost system its any kind of system that is temporary, garrisons were borrowed power but they didnt require artifact power.

What people mean, blizzard, is any system any system in which you will not retain said system by the end of an expansion, if it has no value dont add it.

Frankly? I feel they'd be better just giving you flying from the get go and leaving it there, this entire idea sounds more like an attempt to make softcore flying while adding a "Stamina Bar" that drains over time, like, GW2's Gryphon has.

While this is hardly a new idea for any MMO, what is lazy here is blizzard blatantly trying to hide the obvious elephant in the room.

Dragon Riding *is* borrowed power, just that instead of leveling your mandatory reputation and/or weapon/heart of azeroth you're leveling up your dragon which will be required to reach certain points of the games progress so, naturally, you'll need to level and grind progress for it.

Now, if you like that kinda thing, power to you, but for me, this is a telling sign that they're being sneaky about that mechanic and they dont want you to realize what it really is.

Frankly, I would think it'd be smarter to just get rid of it entirley, give people flying at 68, and call it a day, you want to return to what made the game good, people liked convenience once they're done leveling, thats convenient

So return to the convenient way of doing things instead of making a, weird system that has little long term value beyond an asthetic form of demon hunter gliding.

Everything else sounds potent for something thats a step in the right direction, but this could easily be the one step back that ruins it imho.

"If there is something about World of Warcraft that captured your imagination years ago that you haven't felt was fulfilled in the last few years, Dragonflight's return to core high fantasy, exploration, and discovering the story as you go meeting characters along the way, is a great chance to get back in and check it out."

aka Please come back.

In Patch 9.2.5 something takes place in Tirisfal Glades, and may let us catch up with Calia Menethil, get an update on the Forsaken, and more.
    ugh, if it's anything at all to do with Calia becoming some sort of leader or guide for the Fosaken, then no thanks. Just get the Desolate Council going and leave the dumb light bulb out of the Forsaken, she's not a Forsaken in any single way. Forsaken don't need another "special one" leading them.

The team didn't carry forward most of the Shadowlands systems.
    blizzard need to rethink this, a lot of people wanted and enjoyed the return of the Mage Tower, so why are Blizzard abandoning entire pieces of content like this? bring back warfronts, islands, Torghast and expand on them. These systems just need work and separation from any power to succeed, and they'd really add to WoW's endgame.

Dragonflight's return to core high fantasy, exploration, and discovering the story as you go meeting characters along the way, is a great chance to get back in and check it out.
    lol, until the expansion after this when we go right back to space and face stuff like void lords, the secret evil the Jailer mentioned, 7th force, First ones and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    The thing is, while they have made clear statements about no borrowed power, they're being sneaky about things here.

They said dragon riding has an inital leveling process that will eventually progress over time, and no information on weather or not in the future for sure it -will- appear in Azeorth.

Its them saying:

Observant Player: But you have to level it up, progress it, and its seemingly only available in Dragon Isles.

*Blizzard Sweats*.

I mean...

Borrowed power by defintiion isnt just a boost system its any kind of system that is temporary, garrisons were borrowed power but they didnt require artifact power.

What people mean, blizzard, is any system any system in which you will not retain said system by the end of an expansion, if it has no value dont add it.

Frankly? I feel they'd be better just giving you flying from the get go and leaving it there, this entire idea sounds more like an attempt to make softcore flying while adding a "Stamina Bar" that drains over time, like, GW2's Gryphon has.

While this is hardly a new idea for any MMO, what is lazy here is blizzard blatantly trying to hide the obvious elephant in the room.

Dragon Riding *is* borrowed power, just that instead of leveling your mandatory reputation and/or weapon/heart of azeroth you're leveling up your dragon which will be required to reach certain points of the games progress so, naturally, you'll need to level and grind progress for it.

Now, if you like that kinda thing, power to you, but for me, this is a telling sign that they're being sneaky about that mechanic and they dont want you to realize what it really is.

Frankly, I would think it'd be smarter to just get rid of it entirley, give people flying at 68, and call it a day, you want to return to what made the game good, people liked convenience once they're done leveling, thats convenient

So return to the convenient way of doing things instead of making a, weird system that has little long term value beyond an asthetic form of demon hunter gliding.

Everything else sounds potent for something thats a step in the right direction, but this could easily be the one step back that ruins it imho.
    This sums up borrowed power to a tee. I'd rather them just give us regular flying from the start rather than this. I don't give 2 shits about leveling up a dragonriding system; I'd rather just use my regular mounts and fly normally.

Quote Originally Posted by Softbottom View Post
    I thought this was blizzard's April fools post. Surprised they even said half of this shit. Will see how this actually all plays out. I never played/bought shadowlands, and I haven't pre-purchased an expansion since WOTLK. I will wait again to see if this is worth it or not. FFXIV is just a far superior game at this point.
    FFXIV is a far superior game for casual players, or people who are gonna sub for a month, play the story, and quit. Or if you really enjoy the crafting and gathering... NOTHING can touch it.

As far as a large open world, nope. Its got small boxed off zones. Total miss. Pvp? LOL... End game small group content? Yeahhhhhhh about that. Intresting raid encounters? Nahhhh. Intresting Raid design? Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hell nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh we gonna do 8 bosses, all of them in a seperate floating square or circle with no walls, and you get to it from a menu. As far as class design goes, they have somewhat intresting class design, but it is also so fucking limited that it limits what they can do in dungeon/raid encounters because the game is just straight up missing stuff like decursing, interupts, and cc... Stuff that has been mainstays of the genre.

FF14 is a decent game. But unless you really enjoy the grindy bullshit areas it seems to introduce constantly to try and remind people of ff11, then its a driveby game at best. Sadly, its also the only alternative tab target style game worth a shit anymore.
    []http://sig.lanjelin.com/img/tanro.png[/]

You seem to be interpreting the words borrowed power too broadly. When players are talking about borrowed power they are talking about throughput systems like conduits, corruption, essences, etc. So no, in the commonly understood sense dragon riding is not inherently "borrowed power". It only becomes so if it is mandatory to level it up in pursuit of character power, which it most probably is not. There will probably be treasures with cosmetic stuff and what not you might want to level it up for, but its not likely they will block certain dungeons you need for gear until you get to a certain level of dragon riding or anything similar to that.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWorkingTitle View Post
    Seriously. What a joke cop out by these developers. The Earth Warden, guardian of Azeroth, with tank shields made from his scales, didn't make sure his very own creations could tank like him?
    You know, this is such a silly complain.

Sure, we can discuss how it's a missed opportunity and all, but the idea that Neltharion would have chosen to focus on the other flights rather than his own during experimentation is sound.

Because he already controls the Black Dragonflight, he has those powers under his command, so his experimentation could be about covering those areas he already doesn't excel at.

Dislike that Drac'thyr won't have a tank spec all you want, but don't confound your own subjective appeal with "this doesn't make sense" pretend objectivity.

This sums up borrowed power to a tee. I'd rather them just give us regular flying from the start rather than this. I don't give 2 shits about leveling up a dragonriding system; I'd rather just use my regular mounts and fly normally.
    Especially since we all know it's going to be tedious when you have to go somewhere, but can't because you've got to go through the excessively-performative motions required to do so.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

7+ Year Old Account
    Shadowlands leveling sucks & they know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Playintrafic View Post
    FFXIV is a far superior game for casual players, or people who are gonna sub for a month, play the story, and quit. Or if you really enjoy the crafting and gathering... NOTHING can touch it.

As far as a large open world, nope. Its got small boxed off zones. Total miss. Pvp? LOL... End game small group content? Yeahhhhhhh about that. Intresting raid encounters? Nahhhh. Intresting Raid design? Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hell nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh we gonna do 8 bosses, all of them in a seperate floating square or circle with no walls, and you get to it from a menu. As far as class design goes, they have somewhat intresting class design, but it is also so fucking limited that it limits what they can do in dungeon/raid encounters because the game is just straight up missing stuff like decursing, interupts, and cc... Stuff that has been mainstays of the genre.

FF14 is a decent game. But unless you really enjoy the grindy bullshit areas it seems to introduce constantly to try and remind people of ff11, then its a driveby game at best. Sadly, its also the only alternative tab target style game worth a shit anymore.
    Opinions vs Opinions. You are entitled to yours and I am entitled to mine .

When the open world of wow has never felt alive I don't think it overly matters if the zones are disconnected. I actually enjoy FFXIV raiding more because I don't need to get 19 other players together to do it. I also like all of my jobs on one character and the glamour system trumps wow's transmog system.
    Last edited by Softbottom; 2022-04-27 at 08:30 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blayze View Post
    Especially since we all know it's going to be tedious when you have to go somewhere, but can't because you've got to go through the excessively-performative motions required to do so.
    That's not the case in Guild Wars 2, though with how much they want to slow the player down in WoW you might be onto something.

Quote Originally Posted by Playintrafic View Post
    FFXIV is a far superior game for casual players.

Wait until you find out who the majority of WoW players are.

Also, some points are just totally wrong. FF14 does have interrupts in dungeons. The new PVP overhaul + mode has been universally praised and liked.

Dragonriding > Current "Floating" not flying system.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    nice so i was correct all along.

dragongliding expansion incoming. with real flying locked behind half of year timegate.

also char power will be locked behind aspect covenants.

SL 2.0 incoming. they learned literaly nothing
    No, you’re wrong again. Literally everything you just said is wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles Worth View Post
    Dragonriding > Current "Floating" not flying system.
    Difference of opinions

Its them saying:

*Blizzard Sweats*.

I mean...

The difference would be in the Power part, not the Borrowed.

The power unlocked from your artefact, heart, covenant became part of your gameplay. They were things you lost in a new expansion and that often left holes in specs that were previously filled by the Borrowed power. Things you needed to 'make the class work'.

So long as there is no 'power' from dragonflight, that it has no effect on your gameplay outside of overworld movement, it won't run into that issue.
    Nothing wrong with having expansion features as such. 9 expansions in man, you can't endless pile stuff on every time. Some stuff gets left behind and that is ok if done correctly.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

>Tuskarr too powerful as an Allied Race

At least add Nagas or Gnolls, you bastards >

Its them saying:

*Blizzard Sweats*.

I mean...

C'mon man quit bein so cringy... Blizzard is not out to get us lmao

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post

Because he created them to be his warriors, he and his men already cover the earth abilities, so he needed warriors who would obey him that had abilities of the OTHER dragonflights.

there ya go.
    also earth is their defensives and stuff.
    That make no sense at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Malorne the White Stag View Post
    "Tuskarr would be too powerful as an Allied Race!" Guess Blizz isn't listening
    Blizz is listening. They simoly don't agree with yiu. Not giving you want you want does not = not listening