Poll: Do you like Turalyon as a character? Is he particularly good or interesting?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OwenBurton View Post
    Between him and Alleria, Turalyon was actually the more reasonable of the two characters.
    Comparing bad and worse, doesn't make either good.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    He was never cool; he was a hot headed bigot, now he a twat.
    ^I agree 100 percent.

Stood in the Fire Chromeshellking's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Difference between them was Khadgar had friends on both sides of the faction conflict and didn't want to see, or be involved, with his friends killing each other, so he peaced out. Turalyon is purely an Alliance character with no ties to the Horde, in fact a hostile past with them, and it showed.

Just because the two are friends and members of the Sons of Lothar doesn't mean you can paint the two with the same brush.
    I just feel Khadgar should lose the title then. Lothar didn't shy away from doing what he believed to be right but didn't play let's be neutral to everything because I dislike conflict.

Either way we will see where the new leadership will go. Though I still reserve all judgement until I see more info. Personally I am intrigued but not by story and more class design/direction, Like I miss some classes having some builds that expacs ago made gameplay great.
    Fate is one you forge with your own two hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Chromeshellking View Post
    I just feel Khadgar should lose the title then. Lothar didn't shy away from doing what he believed to be right but didn't play let's be neutral to everything because I dislike conflict.

Either way we will see where the new leadership will go. Though I still reserve all judgement until I see more info. Personally I am intrigued but not by story and more class design/direction, Like I miss some classes having some builds that expacs ago made gameplay great.
    Being neutral wasn't an option when Lothar was alive, since the other side were Legion-controlled berserkers out to extinguish all life on the planet.

Also nice job on the "Khadgar should be kicked out of the Sons of Lothar because he's neutral", very hot take. Weird that people didn't have a problem with it in TBC. But yeah, either warmonger for your faction or you don't deserve to be in it, amirite?
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Stood in the Fire Chromeshellking's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Being neutral wasn't an option when Lothar was alive, since the other side were Legion-controlled berserkers out to extinguish all life on the planet.

Also nice job on the "Khadgar should be kicked out of the Sons of Lothar because he's neutral", very hot take. Weird that people didn't have a problem with it in TBC. But yeah, either warmonger for your faction or you don't deserve to be in it, amirite?
    this was post that point in Bfa. And didn't say warmonger. Just not sit by when a civilian home is targetted and then take a non violent non combatant role while some genocide happy undead ranger waifu that got triggered into an act of war of being told something that honestly shouldn't have been a trigger.

How is just wanting him to sack up and do something other than hiding in his master's old home a hot take? And more over this is starting to venture off the topic at hand. I just merely used Khadgar as an example. Turalyon isn't gonna take a neutral stance and isn't gonna dither on letting innocent people die.
    Fate is one you forge with your own two hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    True and there's a case to be made that Turalyon's the dude who's integrity's been most compromised by the plot. Usually in WoW a character only has to inexplicably forgive one group, say, the Night Elves and the Horde or Genn and the Forsaken, but Turalyon's gone through this three times now. First with the orcs in BtDP so he can be Alleria's therapist, then with Illidan in Legion to show cool Illidan is and how the Lightforged are very tolerant despite being 25k year old veterans of a total war against Satan, and finally with the Forsaken in BTS to beef up Calia and set up world peace.
    But in Turalyon's case, it all makes sense tho, aside from Illidan's debacle. He doesn't hate orcs, because he was never a zealot. ToD established pretty much that this is his whole shtick, what distinguishes him from other paladins. Even after he realized that the orcs were not from Azeroth, he still showed mercy to Orgrim, who killed Turalyon's father figure. So I don't know why you think he had to turn into a genocidal maniac in BtDP. And why should he hate the Forsaken? His scene with Alonsus makes sense. At first, he is shocked, but then accepts his former master when he sees that he hasn't changed. It seems humane and logical to me. Again, Turalyon was never a fanatic. This is what has always set him apart from other paladins. I agree about the Lightforged tho. It is a huge missed opportunity that there is absolutely no "civil war" in their ranks.

Even though I'm a fan of the Horde, I don't want any character, regardless of the factions, to radically change just for the sake of us having a raid boss. I am sorry, but I don't want another TBC situation.

He's good if they actually explore his peculiar moral narcissism and tunnel vision as a character flaw. If they don't see any of that as pathos worth exploiting than he's just a shitty character.

It's still hard to put into words how appalling a disappointment the return of Turalyon and Alleria turned out to be.

I put him in conflicting because he's seemingly the first immortal human that's fought for 1,000+ years. Xera is dead, so is he back to aging normally again? Idk.. just the way they brought him back with the whole 1,000 years bullshit was dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanoro View Post
    @OwenBurton A great example of how the Alliance has always been written as wrong any time they fight back. Where exactly is the hand wringing about the orcs attempting to slaughter every living being in the Eastern Kingdoms? Nowhere. The only thing you'll find is Orgrim worrying about the orcs being slaves. Not one blessed word about the orcs' goal of wiping out everyone. Genocide is ok when the Horde does it.
    Well, I guess, people generally expect Alleria and Turalyon to be somewhat "better" than the likes of Blackhand and Orgrim. Not even the likes of Genn and Vereesa have thus far expressed a desire to slaughter all orcs and blood elves.

Quote Originally Posted by The Vindicator View Post
    He's fine but it's fairly obvious he's only in the waiting room to become another villain in the inevitable "light bad" expansion with Yrel
    The real "clever" and unusual twist would be to subvert exactly THOSE expectations - instead of making Turalyon a fanatical opponent, perhaps make him into something else, something equally complex, such as a lone battered hero fighting against overwhelming odds for survival or something - perhaps someone badly tempted by Yrel's allure, but someone who rejects her in the end. Turalyon still embraces Alleria despite her tremendous changes with the Void, and he eventually accepted Faol, so perhaps he is not as intolerant as some people assume he is.

Also, I think it is inevitable that Calia plays a major role in whatever future expansion featuring Turalyon, she is literally his rightful queen after all. Their relationship could shape the future of both Stormwind and Lordaeron.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...n-of-Lordaeron
    Last edited by OwenBurton; 2022-04-30 at 03:45 PM.
    "You see, there is balance in all things. Wisdom etched in our very fur: Black and white. Darkness and light. When the last emperor hid our land from the rest of the world, he also preserved...our ancient enemy, the mantid. So it is with your Alliance and your Horde. They are not strong despite one another; they are strong BECAUSE of one another. You mistake your greatest strength for weakness. Do you see this?"

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    He was a heck of a lot cooler when we didn't have any contact with him. Take away the mystery and... "oh, he's just a guy still, even after being alive for, some thousand(s) of years and fighting... he still lets his human emotions get the better of him." Yeah, they ruined something they had that was awesome.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by BaumanKing View Post
    But in Turalyon's case, it all makes sense tho, aside from Illidan's debacle. He doesn't hate orcs, because he was never a zealot. ToD established pretty much that this is his whole shtick, what distinguishes him from other paladins. Even after he realized that the orcs were not from Azeroth, he still showed mercy to Orgrim, who killed Turalyon's father figure. So I don't know why you think he had to turn into a genocidal maniac in BtDP. And why should he hate the Forsaken? His scene with Alonsus makes sense. At first, he is shocked, but then accepts his former master when he sees that he hasn't changed. It seems humane and logical to me. Again, Turalyon was never a fanatic. This is what has always set him apart from other paladins. I agree about the Lightforged tho. It is a huge missed opportunity that there is absolutely no "civil war" in their ranks.

Even though I'm a fan of the Horde, I don't want any character, regardless of the factions, to radically change just for the sake of us having a raid boss. I am sorry, but I don't want another TBC situation.
    His religious revelation isn't 'orcs aren't from Azeroth', it's 'orcs aren't from Azeroth and so their lives lack inherent value'. He doesn't spare Orgrim because of his deep humanity but to break their spirits and it's that conclusion that allows him to fully realize himself in the book. BtDP cuts that entire aspect, the culmination of his entire character arc in Tides of Darkness out, the only thing remotely interesting to the generic stereotype that he is and offloads it to his wife so he can perpetually orbit over her. Undeath and the Light have been in opposition meanwhile for the entirety of the game until BTS, fundamentally incompatible to each other because of the misalignment of souls, not to mention the fact that most all necromancy had a demonic origin up to that point and it'd be what Turalyon had seen. His forgiveness is immediate and dull, much like his 180 on the orcs, much like him dropping his issue with Illidan.

The idea of a civil war in the Lightforged is laughable. This shouldn't be a complex matter in the first place. They've fought demons for 25k years, their leader is an archangel representing warmth, goodness, solidarity, order etc. The one who killed her (after she was repaired) is a demon. Turalyon has been in this condition of total war for one thousand years, as has Alleria, and the void is the polar opposite of all these things. The entire situation around Illidan and Xe'ra discredits the race immediately with the void elves just being the coup de grace. They don't need a radical change, they need to be what their concept has screamed they were from day 1 and only delivered through the Lightbound before. The bland, hollow 'uwu, i'm fine with everything' sort of paladin and holy man the game has been continually infested with since the high point of the class in Vanilla has been nothing but narrative poison and to do it with the avatars of that cosmic power in the first place who are apparently totally chill with the forces of destruction they're existentially opposed to because 'some of them are nice it's okay ' is everything that's wrong with the game's message mongering.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

So it's funny how some people here accuse Alleria and Turalyon of being "boring" and "generic" when they are quite literally the most interesting and unique characters the Alliance has ever had.

Who did the Alliance even have before their return? Varian? Who was as complex as a fanfic superhero? Half of the leaders were lectured by Varian. The other half were just non-existent (looking at Velen, Greymane, the Gnome leader). And some leaders in particular even fell under both categories (the Dwarf leaders were lectured by Varian and were also non-existent in the plot).

Wow! Amazing! They cannot compare.

By far, there have never been more interesting characters in the Alliance than Alleria and Turalyon. They are cunning, resourceful, but also ruthless. They don't "play nice" with their enemies, they get what they want and don't care about "looking nice", like all other Alliance leaders.

Like when the Ren'dorei under Magister Umbric sent Horde diplomats into the Void, to quickly and swiftly hinder the growing alliance between Horde and Zandalari. Or when the Ren'dorei under Umbric raised fallen Zandalari dinosaurs using the Void, to utterly and completely crush the morale of the Zandalari defenders. Or when a strike team led by Umbric slaughtered Gallywix's party-goers, to incite a revolution inside the oppressed Bilgewater Cartel. Or in the novel, when Turalyon kept the Horde captive in place, so that Alleria could surgically and methodically extrapolate information from their brain, using the powers of the Void.

This is what the Alliance needs. It needs people with balls. It needs people with a spine. It needs people who don't look at the Horde and go "omg saurfang ur so honorable, let me spare you and lets work together to save the horde xoxo", but rather "If the Horde gets in my way, I'll send their people into the Void". The Alliance will continue being a laughable joke if they don't start taking a more direct approach.

But people here act like Alleria and Turalyon are bad and boring characters... is it not ironic, then, how they are currently at the centre of all theories and speculations regarding the Alliance? Since SL started and Turalyon became Regent, everyone only cares about Alleria and Turalyon when talking about the Alliance. No one cares about the dwarves, or the gnomes, or the Night elves (lol, imagine still caring about this doomed and crushed species in 2022), people talk about Turalyon, people talk about the Naaru, people talk about Yrel, people talk about Alleria, people talk about the Void. People are now interested in these things.

I have always liked Alleria, but it's alright because I've been telling this forum for years that Alleria (and, to a lesser extent, Turalyon) would prove to be a very valuable asset to the Alliance and I am being proven right as we speak. This is hardly surprising to me, that now all Alliance talking revolves around these two characters and their two respective races.

To me, what is truly hilarious is the hypocrisy of this forum. People on this forum have been complaining about Anduin and Tyrande and their failures throughout all of BfA. Now the Alliance leadership is finally in the hands of two war veterans who know what the Alliance needs to thrive. So what do people here do? More complaining.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2022-05-02 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    Uther, Turalyon and Tirion where literally part of the first 5 Paladins in the world. I’m not really sure that qualifies has generic. Uther has some ingame lore but most of the character building of Turalyon was done in the books. Personally I really rooted for him when he came back but I’m not sure I really like the character he is in the games
    • Trained by Alonsus Faol, now a member of the horde, as well as all the people he would have grown up with, whom Turalyon immediately disregards upon returning to Azeroth.
    • Devoted husband of an elf with a void lord inside her, who has a preoccupation with the sunwell despite the violent conflagration of shadow magic that erupts when she gets near it.
    • Tortures a woman to death in front of her children in order to get information about Sylvanas.

Villain arc incoming.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    He was a heck of a lot cooler when we didn't have any contact with him. Take away the mystery and... "oh, he's just a guy still, even after being alive for, some thousand(s) of years and fighting... he still lets his human emotions get the better of him." Yeah, they ruined something they had that was awesome.
    I think making Turalyon more humanly relatable makes him more complex, not any less. The distant Turalyon would be someone under the influence of the naaru and Xe'ra, a fanatically loyal soldier in the Army of the Light.
    "You see, there is balance in all things. Wisdom etched in our very fur: Black and white. Darkness and light. When the last emperor hid our land from the rest of the world, he also preserved...our ancient enemy, the mantid. So it is with your Alliance and your Horde. They are not strong despite one another; they are strong BECAUSE of one another. You mistake your greatest strength for weakness. Do you see this?"