Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Doraemon, Pikachu

Astroboy?

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Mickey Mouse has fallen out of the public eye for quite some time now.
    ....it's less for Mickey's cartoons and more for the symbol he represents

If you ask anyone who's Disney's best cartoon you'll get one of the princesses or Donald or even Goofy. Disney almost purposefully doesn't use Mickey a lot just because they don't want the symbol associated with crap

However you show anyone that symbol...they are Mickey or Disney right away

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    ....it's less for Mickey's cartoons and more for the symbol he represents

If you ask anyone who's Disney's best cartoon you'll get one of the princesses or Donald or even Goofy. Disney almost purposefully doesn't use Mickey a lot just because they don't want the symbol associated with crap

However you show anyone that symbol...they are Mickey or Disney right away
    So if we apply this back to the anime comparison, are we still talking about most relevant and recognized anime, or merely a symbol of its legacy?

Cuz people are saying Goku, but something like Astroboy or Doraemon might be more relevant. Maybe even Hello Kitty if it were ever an anime.

Though I will say, Pikachu is quite up there too.

Or Naruto.

Maybe even Hello Kitty if it were ever an anime.
    Actually you might have something with Hello Kitty though she herself doesn't appear in a LOT of anime her face is associated with Sanrio who absolutely DOES make shows. I'd actually make an argument that Hello Kitty is ABSOLUTELY the most recognizable anime character period hell looked it up she's been in 2 as well as a TON of collaborations

And lets face it there is LITERALLY Official Hello Kitty EVERYTHING

Quote Originally Posted by KainneAbsolute View Post
    Doraemon, Pikachu

Astroboy?
    I would say it changed over time.
    Astroboy > Doraemon > Goku > Pikachu

So if we apply this back to the anime comparison, are we still talking about most relevant and recognized anime, or merely a symbol of its legacy?

Cuz people are saying Goku, but something like Astroboy or Doraemon might be more relevant. Maybe even Hello Kitty if it were ever an anime.

Though I will say, Pikachu is quite up there too.
    It'll definitely vary based upon region and generation. However, if we just go off of "If you showed someone this anime character, would they recognized it?", Pikachu would probably be the most recognized even if they don't associate him with representing anime as a genre. I'm from the generation that was VHS bootlegging the original Macross series from Japan back in the 80's before it even dubbed in the US, and I'd still say Pikachu is likely the more recognizable character even if others characters have a more robust historical impact on anime in general. Most people in the US probably don't even know who Doraemon is.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

My first thought was Goku, but I have to agree that older folk with no Internet or TV knowledge wouldn't recognize him as much as they would Pikachu.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    There is none. Anime is too broad of a genre (more accurately: supergenre) for one character to be synonymous with all of it.
    Right, unlike Mickey Mouse, which perfectly represents all western animation to date...

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    I would say it changed over time.
    Astroboy > Doraemon > Goku > Pikachu
    That's a more apt way to put it. Current winner globally has to be Pikachu, but that wasn't always the case.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

I feel like Japan does themes more then characters. In that case I would say gaint robot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Speed Racer was the first anime I ever heard of.
    /s

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zypherz View Post
    Man, reading this makes me realize how different a world I'm living in than so many people out there. To me, not knowing who Goku is feels akin to not knowing who Obi-Wan Kenobi or Gandalf is, it's hard to get my head around honestly. Even if it's a vague idea that Obi wan = Jedi sword person, Gandalf = Wizard and Goku = Punchy anime/cartoon person.

I totally get it being a common thing, but damn, it messes with me.
    You would trade the 80s n 90s to...know about anime? Dude...

I'd assume that a lot more older people are aware of Pikachu and have no clue who Goku is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Goku or Pikachu I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    What? That’s not what I meant at all lol. Some anime does slap though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Testiculos View Post
    Pikachu. Pokemon is the biggest media franchise ever. Everyone knows it. They may not know what an anime is, but they will know pikachu as a cartoon on the level of bugs bunny renown.
    This x1000. Full stop.

No other anime has transcended Western Pop Culture over the last 25 years more than Pokemon. Demon Slayer, Naruto and My Hero Academia don't come close.

The only Anime more iconically known prior to Pokemon were Akira, Gundam Wing, Dragonball Z and Sailor Moon. Maybe also Tenchi Muyo and Inyuyasha as well as the first Fullmetal Alchemist anime.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

Definetly Pikachu.

Even my mother knows this yellow rodent and she has never touched a video game or anime in her life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
    Who's the Mickey Mouse of anime? A character who is synonymous with anime, and known even by people who don't watch anime?

Maybe Goku?
    Pikachu, Goku, or Astro Boy.

But if we talk at the core, like Mickey is, it would be Astro Boy all the way.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2022-04-29 at 04:57 PM.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    The 80s and 90s were chock full of anime my dude.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post

Right, unlike Mickey Mouse, which perfectly represents all western animation to date...
    I wouldn't say Mickey Mouse is synonymous with all Western Animation either...but he would cover a broad chunk of it. Far more than Goku or Pikachu would cover Anime.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Goku definitely has a lot of history and inspiration from the animes that followed DBZ.

But for this generation I'd say it's actually Luffy from One Piece simply because the anime is old as well and is ranked #1 in Japan, so I feel like he is more inspirational at this stage than Goku. Personal opinion, of course.