Quote Originally Posted by Yelmurc View Post
    At this rate Pyro will have more places to explore than Stanton, should be a blast exploring it all.
    Most likely since it's at least 3x bigger in size so will be a lot more spread around.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Things like refuelling and survival will need a lot more consideration. Also it's a lawless system, so yeah it's going to be interesting to say the least:

Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    I still remember when cig shills were telling me how [insert mundane thing here] is revolutionary tech.
    “Remember”? It has been going on since early development, just stick “tech” or “dynamic” to some common ass shit, and BAM! Clouds? You mean Cloud TECH?! Revolutionary shit right there, almost as much as the dynamic AI defecation system, especially when you take into consideration that we are talking about procedural fully “realised”(?) proc gen planets that will be filled with it, it’s realistic graphical turds, along with scalability and performance!

I highly doubt that you capable of following, but long story short, it’s a completely different ballgame from everything else ever made.

…. humm, it reminds me of The Cybermatrix 100 console kickstarter project.

So, if the server already can't handle Stanton, how will it handle a 3x as big Pyro?
    Or will we not see it until 'miracle tech' is invented.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    So, if the server already can't handle Stanton, how will it handle a 3x as big Pyro?
    Math isn't Mr. Anderson's strong suit, it seems. Measured by volume, Pyro will be almost 40x as big as Pyro.

edit: inb4 he says "I said AT LEAST 3 times the size..."

3.17 dropped today. Lots of decent features, also I’m seeing a signification fps boost. Was getting 50-60 average in the city and 120+ if I was out in space with nothing near me. Looks like the Gen12 optimizations are working. Hopefully we’ll see more improvements to performance throughout the year.

Patch Trailer for those interested.

3.17 dropped today. Lots of decent features, also I’m seeing a signification fps boost. Was getting 50-60 average in the city
    Welp, guess I'll give it a spin. Gave up after seeing FPS in the teens literally no matter what I did on my rig, which is absolutely no slouch.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Welp, guess I'll give it a spin. Gave up after seeing FPS in the teens literally no matter what I did on my rig, which is absolutely no slouch.
    If your graphics card isn’t the best maybe start in Area18, those clouds can hit fps hard. The rest of the landing zone now have them. Or turn off clouds until they are further optimized. Also you may get some jitters for a few minutes as shaders compile.

If you want to see your fps hit ` and type r_display 3
    Last edited by Yelmurc; 2022-04-30 at 12:41 AM.

If your graphics card isn’t the best maybe start in Area18, those clouds can hit fps hard. The rest of the landing zone now have them. Or turn off clouds until they are further optimized. Also you may get some jitters for a few minutes as sanders compile.

If you want to see your fps hit ` and type r_display 3
    3070 with an i5-10600k and 32GB of ram, running off a SSD. Thanks for the tip on showing FPS, I've just been eyeballing it but I gave up after spending a few hours trying every setup of settings I could, even dropping everything to the lowest options and down to 720p and still was a freakin slideshow lol.

And shaders still need to compile once you've loaded in? I thought that's what the super long initial loading time was for and all...though I can't say I've noticed any improvements during my longer "attempts" to get the game running at an acceptable framerate. I legit just hope I can actually get around and explore a little bit.

3070 with an i5-10600k and 32GB of ram, running off a SSD. Thanks for the tip on showing FPS, I've just been eyeballing it but I gave up after spending a few hours trying every setup of settings I could, even dropping everything to the lowest options and down to 720p and still was a freakin slideshow lol.

And shaders still need to compile once you've loaded in? I thought that's what the super long initial loading time was for and all...though I can't say I've noticed any improvements during my longer "attempts" to get the game running at an acceptable framerate. I legit just hope I can actually get around and explore a little bit.
    Yea shaders compile in the game. It’s something they are working on. A lot of the shaders they use are unique, they’ve also had most of them for years and they’ve started work converting them to a more modular system so they don’t need as many.

Your system seems fine, only thing is the CPU is an i5, Star Citizen is CPU bound atm. The whole Gen12 initiative is to move a lot of the work to the GPU so your system will probably benefit with the patch, try it out let us know.

Also, I don’t know why but the time it took me to get into the game seemed like it was significantly faster than before, it could be in my head though I didn’t time it.
    Last edited by Yelmurc; 2022-04-30 at 12:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by banmebaby View Post
    “Remember”? It has been going on since early development, just stick “tech” or “dynamic” to some common ass shit, and BAM! Clouds? You mean Cloud TECH?! Revolutionary shit right there, almost as much as the dynamic AI defecation system, especially when you take into consideration that we are talking about procedural fully “realised”(?) proc gen planets that will be filled with it, it’s realistic graphical turds, along with scalability and performance!

I highly doubt that you capable of following, but long story short, it’s a completely different ballgame from everything else ever made.

…. humm, it reminds me of The Cybermatrix 100 console kickstarter project.
    My bad.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Man. I've been trying to like this game. I tried the last free-fly and enjoyed flying around enough to pick up a package. Mining is relaxing, so I've been trying to do that. But, man. This patch.

Between the mining turret HUD being about 1/4th the intended size, my cargo randomly becoming inert materials regardless of what I'm actually scooping, and the four 30k's I've had today that have wasted about six hours of my time...

My opinion on the game hasn't changed at all. What's here looks incredible. Super high fidelity ships, which are very cool. It's fun to fly. I really dig the mining mechanics. Space combat is fun.

When any of it works. I don't understand how development for this game is so backwards, lol.

I tried playing with a friend for the first time yesterday and it was embarrassing. I had to apologize for wasting his time because nothing worked.
    Last edited by Henako; 2022-05-01 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    They are working on server meshing as we speak. Not miracle tech... just something theyve been building over the past few years to be able to mesh multiple servers together so they can transfer players seamlessly and not require any loading screens on planets and areas. (Stanton runs on a single server and as we can see it has limitations)

Many games have server meshing, but i doubt any of them have built it in amazon lumberyard-engine. Also... they kinda have to build it themselves or do you think some other developer would sell theirs? :P even then if they buy someone elses server meshing tech it would require adaptation which isnt even guaranteed to work in a different engine or a game type.
    So its safer option to build it themselves for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

You should know that SC graphic settings arent indicative of what performance youd be getting... it sounds wonky but going Low graphics means your CPU does most of the work and if you go higher then GPU gets tasked with more.

Right now almost everyone within the hardcore community agree that using "High" setting is the best option overall. Especially if you dont have a monster CPU.

I have identical CPU to yours but 2060 and i can run the game at sub 30's at 1440p but when i drop down to 1080p it runs at around 40 fps.

Otherwise identical specs, assuming your memory is overclocked etc etc similar in speed yadda yadda.

I always start in New Babbage, it has the least amount of buildings around but does have weather and storms sometimes.

r_displayinfo 1 is good enough for general fps, 2 and 3 show more enhanced information if needed.

Dont know why else you would get fps in the teens when your gpu is better than mine. It would be worth asking around on spectrum about it. (Star Citizen forums)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    For the singleplayer game that was originally promised? Nope. The release date was pushed back every year for 5-6 years straight. "It's coming out next year!" - Christ Roberts in 2012 through 2017. Meanwhile, the development roadmap revealed that the game's development was rebooted several times, jumping from "we're polishing up the levels" to "actually half the levels aren't even whiteboxed". Then in 2019 CIG started going completely radio silent on SQ42's development. Chris promised us updates but years passed without a peep, which culminated in an uproar on the official forums so loud that media outlets and youtubers began picking up on it, forcing Chris to come out of his hole to try to dampen the bad press by giving us roadmap to a roadmap. Cue further uproar, which was then followed by a mass banwave of dissenters from the official forums. In Fall 2020, we finally got an hour long stream with Chris that showed off a dev working on a space station stealth level for the game, but Chris conspicuously dodged answering the questions that people actually wanted to know: "what is the true status of SQ42 development? Why does the game keep getting rebooted? Why aren't you talking to us?". Chris promised that he would do one SQ42 dev stream every quarter, but it's been over a year and a half since that stream and we never got another one. Development on Star Citizen has slowed to a snail's pace and hardcore fans are keeping their fingers crossed, hoping that most of the dev team is actually working on SQ42 in secret and that the game will be revealed in its full glory any day know and that the decade long wait will have been worth it.

As for Star Citizen the MMO, it the levels of scope creep are comical. Development of SC has stalled out. They can't add anymore meaningful content or gameplay loops to the servers without them breaking. In fact, the devs had to remove planets and systems from the live game to make the servers stable, and even then a lot of the game is still broken, like players randomly dying for no reason or 99% of the NPCs in the game being glitched out and broken. The servers are capped at 50 players. The entire game had been designed around the assumption that it would be an MMO with thousands of players and there would be big space battles with dozens of large ships manned by dozens of players each, but given the 50 player cap that can never be. For years, the devs have been touting that the magic solution to the problem is server meshing, and claimed to have had a working prototype up and running in Spring 2019, but we never heard anything about that prototype ever again, and at last year's Citizencon the devs finally admitted that they are unsure if they can ever get SC the MMO to have servers larger than 50 players. The last meaningful addition to SC was mining gameplay in 2018, and I guess maybe the addition of prison in 2020. Otherwise we're just getting inconsequential stuff like new armors and guns or small spacefighter #147 or land vehicles nobody uses.

The next big advancement for Star Citizen the MMO is being able to go to a 2nd star system, called Pyro, which was announced half a decade ago. Pyro is supposed to be a dangerous PvP system with no law enforcement and few facilities to repair and refuel at, dangerous weather conditions and long distances between planets, forcing players to interact with each other (ie, players with small ships needing to rely on players who have carriers to carry them around, or negotiating with a player who owns a Starfarer to refuel, etc). Being able to stake a property claim and build your own house is another feature that was advertised to come along with Pyro. However, because of the aforementioned server situation, Pyro cannot be added until it is resolved... if ever.
    He only said that like once.

You seem to be coming up with nice stories of how it went down... alas if any of that was true it no longer applies.
    Theyve been posting monthly updates on SQ42 (singleplayer story) for a few years now. (including videos occasionally)
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/c...ort-March-2022

Now that next point is a complete lie from you... you shouldve done some research before talking about server meshing, literally 6 months ago they posted this: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/c...-Streaming-Q-A
    And last year the big dynamic ingame event was used as a testing ground to improve server performance in preparation for server meshing.
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/c...312-Postmortem

It took less than 5 minutes for me to find these... with a few more minutes you could find alot more information on all these topics you tried talking about.
    Their youtube channel is also active every single week with new footage and information about the development, its not just hearsay on there... they also have CGI! whoa!
    Last edited by Otaka; 2022-05-02 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Otaka View Post
    They are working on server meshing as we speak. Not miracle tech... just something theyve been building over the past few years to be able to mesh multiple servers together so they can transfer players seamlessly and not require any loading screens on planets and areas.
    Mmhmm, sure sure. So when is this miracle tech going to be complete? 2024? 2025? I mean SC is approaching, what, year 10 now?

- - - Updated - - -

He only said that like once.

You seem to be coming up with nice stories of how it went down... alas if any of that was true it no longer applies.
    Theyve been posting monthly updates on SQ42 (singleplayer story) for a few years now. (including videos occasionally)
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/c...ort-March-2022

Now that next point is a complete lie from you... you shouldve done some research before talking about server meshing, literally 6 months ago they posted this: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/c...-Streaming-Q-A
    And last year the big dynamic ingame event was used as a testing ground to improve server performance in preparation for server meshing.
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/c...312-Postmortem

It took less than 5 minutes for me to find these... with a few more minutes you could find alot more information on all these topics you tried talking about.
    Their youtube channel is also active every single week with new footage and information about the development, its not just hearsay on there... they also have CGI! whoa!
    Who is the one that has the wall of CR quotes to post again so the 'facts' actually are being shown? I swear we need like a FAQ with some links to things like that because I'm glad you spend '5 minutes' finding some links but that isn't the reality with this game. I'm glad you have been roped in and believe the lies and missed deadlines of this game but really, when does it end? When is this thing going to be done? How much more money do you guys need to shell out for it to actually happen?

Welp, the update resets characters I guess? My old one is gone, goodbye Orison and your stupid clouds and hello New Babbage and acceptable FPS! Mostly, seems to be in the 40's (the r_display 3 in console isn't showing fps), but with pretty frequent hitching while it's seemingly still loading things. The game is both really good looking and kinda janky at the same time now that I can actually sorta see it, like, looks like they're using a lot of tricks to get visuals at low cost (i.e. baked in reflections vs. dynamic reflections for some lighting) and some odd visual clarity.

Tram to the spaceport is kinda cool. Spaceport runs like ass too, seems like any time you get around any amount of geometry and especially NPC's that the game starts chugging. NPC's are still a mixed bag, some doing their actual animation cycles and others just standing there t-posing while blinking. I'll say this, there are nice blinking animations.

Haven't read the new player guide yet so I rented a ship and now I'm trying to figure out how the heck to actually spawn it in one of the hangers. I don't know why they don't at least have some basic "here's how to get your first ship so you can actually start playing the game" help tips or something. Kinda annoyed, guess I'll figure it out later.

I'm trying to figure out how the heck to actually spawn it in one of the hangers.
    Go to the spaceport. Inside, there should be a room with several LCD screens. Walk up to one of the screens and hold F, and click on it. Scroll the list of ships you can spawn, and spawn that ship. The screen will then tell you which hanger your ship has spawn in. Then you walk over into one of the elevators, hold F while looking at the control panel, and select the hanger you want to go to.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Go to the spaceport. Inside, there should be a room with several LCD screens. Walk up to one of the screens and hold F, and click on it. Scroll the list of ships you can spawn, and spawn that ship. The screen will then tell you which hanger your ship has spawn in. Then you walk over into one of the elevators, hold F while looking at the control panel, and select the hanger you want to go to.
    I found the rental place and rented a ship, not sure where the screens you're talking about are but I guess I'll give the lobby another look. For some reason I thought the place to spawn vehicles would be in the hanger itself.

Edit: GOT MY SHIP! Now time to look up flight controls before I instantly crash.

Amusingly, it seems like they're still using all kinds of tricks to get you around. Elevator seems to instantly teleport you just horizontal from your destination and then slide you right to the doors. Kinda amusing.

Edit 2: In trying to figure out how to open my hanger doors, I seem to have left the cockpit while hovering...and now it's bounding around too high above my head to reach. I have no clue what I am doing and this is legitimately one of the most hostile new-user experiences I've ever seen in a game in my life.

I want to play more, but now I'm too frustrated. I get it, alpha blah blah blah but this new user experience is genuinely awful. Deeply frustrating and in now way remotely intuitive in any aspect.

Edit 3: Unfucked my ship, but...I can't leave? Apparently I'm only in a viewing spaceport or something on New Babbage so the contact doesn't pop up in mobiglass? I'm very confused, I thought I pulled the ship to fly...sigh, back to more elevators (holy fuck I'm beginning to hate them already) to see if I did something wrong.

Edit 4: FREEDOM! I guess you have to realize that you need to use the tiny little com system on your ship to request departure, which I guess makes sense? Now I'm slowly trying to fly far enough around/out of the planet to hyperjump to my first contract.

Edit 5: So...lots of cruising around. Cranked my ship up to max speed (1100kph/mph whatever it is) but man, hyperspeed drops you out 2K+ km away from your destination so I guess this is the only way to finally get there. Like 30+ minutes later, almost half my water (I guess I need to have a drink somewhere, somehow), and multiple semi-long period of being AFK while cruise control is on and I'll have completed my first delivery contract. Who knows how much fuel I've spent, I'll have to look into that.

OH LAWD MY DELIVERY IS LITERALLY ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE PLANET. Man, I don't think this game is for me or something. At least I finally got to see it running well....until as I'm tying this I blew my ship up because my whole screen went white and when I could see again my ship was about to crash into the ground with no chance to eject or pull up...whatever the fuck that was is I guess a sufficiently lame way to end a frustrating evening.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2022-05-02 at 06:11 AM.

They are working on server meshing as we speak. Not miracle tech... just something theyve been building over the past few years to be able to mesh multiple servers together so they can transfer players seamlessly and not require any loading screens on planets and areas. (Stanton runs on a single server and as we can see it has limitations)

Many games have server meshing, but i doubt any of them have built it in amazon lumberyard-engine. Also... they kinda have to build it themselves or do you think some other developer would sell theirs? :P even then if they buy someone elses server meshing tech it would require adaptation which isnt even guaranteed to work in a different engine or a game type.
    So its safer option to build it themselves for sure.
    Yeah...

I hope they manage it, most people here want SC to be all it claims it will be. We just have no faith in Chris Roberts to actually deliver on any of it.
    They have been working on server meshing since basically the start, the fact that this fundamentally required tech that is needed for the entire game as an MMO to be possible does not yet exist after almost 10 years is problematic.

If you hired a construction company to build you a house and after 10 years they are working on mosaic windows and walls but the foundation is still just a giant hole in the ground without any concrete you would be right to be worried.

That is why I call server meshing 'miracle tech'. Yes its a concept that exists in other games, but no one has done it with something as complex as what SC is trying to be, and that is not a praise as some posters here use it as. Others have not done it for good reasons, as the almost decade of development time on it without result shows.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

OH LAWD MY DELIVERY IS LITERALLY ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE PLANET.
    Press F2 to bring up your Mobiglass. Click on the star map. Click on the planet you want to go to, and then that should bring up a lot of destinations on the planet you can QT to. Your mission destination is almost always within 10-20 kilometers within a place you can QT to, so you can click the nearest destination and click "set destination" so you can QT to it. The only notable exception being the secret drug shack if you're a criminal which requires 15-20 minutes of flying to reach from the nearest waypoint.

- - - Updated - - -

Man, I don't think this game is for me or something.
    It's not just you. The game has become less enjoyable to play over the years. Back during 2015, when you just had a space station and a few moons, it was pretty fun. Gameplay was fast. You spent a few seconds flying straight up from a moon and then you were able to quantum travel, and QTing placed you within 10-20 KM of your destination. Nowadays, much of SC's gameplay revolves around planets... and you have to spend 2-3 minutes flying out of atmosphere to be able to queue, and that's with the small ships (the fastest ships in the game). If you have a larger ship like a Constellation, it takes longer. And if you have a ship like the Caterpillar... it can take 10 minutes just to reach a high enough altitude that you can QT. And they've added other things that have made gameplay take a lot longer, such as hunger management, or losing your inventory upon death, or medical gameplay, and reputation, and so on.

I strongly recommend using Port Olisar or GRIM Hex as your hub.

• They are space stations, not planetary cities. You don't have to waste time flying in and out of atmosphere.
    • Far more convenient than other space stations. You don't have to waste time fiddling with 2 minute long elevator rides to get to your ship.
    • Are in Crusader's orbit (the OG planet), which means you have the most stuff to do in a short distance, whereas every other location in Stanton has less things to do and is way more spread out.
    • You don't have to constantly refuel.
    • Gives you easy access into PvP and criminal activities, if you want to do so. If you want honorable 1v1 duels, you can hang out around Port Olisar and ask for duels. If you decide you want to become a criminal, then Grim HEX is a 30 second transit from PO.

It's fun to tour the other cities but they're not fun to live in long term with the current way the game is designed.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    It started pre-production in 2010. Full development a year later. We're beyond year 10 lol
    You're mixing the preparation/production of the kickstart campaign with actual development of the games with the increased current scope and scale.

The announcement of the project and Kickstart campaign launched in the end of 2012 and there was no official studio. With funding from the kickstart they managed to develop several protothypes while outsourcing work from other companies while they hired and were building their own offices.

The games scope in itself invreased considerably due to extra funding which allowed adition of ex-Crytek developers/new studios which only happened in 2014-15 and bringing all development inhouse.

2010-2012 - Kickstart campaign
    2013/14 - Create company / first studio / Hiring / Converting Engine to 64bit/ R&D - Prototyping / Outsourcing.

2014/15 - Opening Main Studios (UK & GER) bring development inhouse. Funding increase & Scope change from instanced small locations to full planets. Build tools to create game to the new scope while releasing/maintaining the persistent universe.

Haven't read the new player guide yet so I rented a ship and now I'm trying to figure out how the heck to actually spawn it in one of the hangers. I don't know why they don't at least have some basic "here's how to get your first ship so you can actually start playing the game" help tips or something. Kinda annoyed, guess I'll figure it out later.
    If you don't want to watch youtube turorials I Highly suggest you use the chat (F12 - Enter to chat) and ask for help. Community is usually welcoming and just asking for someone to show you the ropes will help you immensely.

It's useless to do a tutorial for a game in development since things can change considerably from patch to patch. From keybinds to game mechanics every patch changes something along the way.

For consideration, every new major patch brings extra instability and jankiness along with extra stress on the servers. The most stable and pleasant experiences are usually right before a new patch drops since the old one has 3 months of bug fixes along the quarter.

3.16 (new features new bugs plus extra instability)
    3.16.1 ( bug fixes, server crash fixes)
    3.16.2 (more bug fixes, server crash fixes, polish pass)
    3.16.3 (bug fixes, crash fixes, polish pass, good stability)

3.17 (new features new bugs plus extra instability) <- We are Here

3.17.1 (new bug fixes, server crashes fixes)
    3.17.2 (more bug fixes, server crash fixes, polish pass)
    3.17.3 (bug fixes, crash fixes, polish pass, stability)

3.18 (new features new bugs extra instability)
    And so on...
    Last edited by MrAnderson; 2022-05-02 at 02:49 PM.