Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mungho View Post
    The lore is trash, anyway. Might as well do this. It'll be cool to play some of the new combos! Orc paladin, yeah!
    Pretty much this and It's not like they haven't twisted or ignored lore before to make shit work in-game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh, I think it should be all right. Lore should be meant to enhance & further the gameplay in a game like WoW, not the other way around. I never really felt like race/class restrictions did anything to further the lore as much as the lore devices they used to add in new race/class combos (e.g. Aponi Brightmane, Addie Fizzlebog, etc). I am curious how much they'll actively try to make the new combos fit in with the lore, given how they seem to be rolling out a few at a time.

Gotta wonder if any of them will pull a hamstring while trying to stretch far enough for Lightforged Warlocks or Mag'har Paladins to be viable in the lore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    So one of the new interviews announced that they plan to eventually roll out all races to all classes, but they'll be doing it gradually to make art assets and lore for the combos that don't make sense yet.

But the current plan is for all races to have access to Mages, Priests, and Rogues in 10.0

What do you think will be the lore impact from this broadening of options?
    Well. For Tauren, Priest, and Arcane/Fire mage fits their lore well with two of them being for An'she, and the last for the connection of the Mu'sha. Tauren rogue, the only thing fitting there, is the Outlaw..

As for Draenei, normal ones have Rengari, while Lightforged... Normally don't deal with cloak and dagger as we've seen.

Orc priest.. I guess, could be learnt over time as Mag'har finds their connection, and could bring them in.

My dream was to see more Paladin options but unlike the three classes mentioned, they are apparently more limited (can't be cursed, and if you are undead, it apparently means a life with sacrifice), and Night Elves have a longer transition phase.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Lupinemancer View Post
    How does that prevent them from being Paladins when they can be both Warriors and Priests?
    Theres lore reasons for them not being paladins... They Gilnean people cut themselves off from the world before paladins were a huge deal. So they never got the proper training in that situation. Theres also implication that taking on the class of paladin would "cure" the curse and they wouldn't really be Worgen anymore. Just a regular human paladin. // Im not sitting here saying that its not possible now, but they would need to make the story fit for it to work.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Woggmer View Post
    Actually, Worgen can use the Light since they can be priests...

Though it is interesting that the races with Paladins in them have some associated group or Holy Sects that are built in dedication and service to link them together. Humans and Dwarves (Dark Irons too) have the Order of the Silver Hand, along with the Argent Dawn (later the Argent Crusade) followed up with the more radical human zealots of the Scarlet Crusade.

Draenei have the Hand of Argus, Lightforge Draenei have the Army of the Light, Blood Elves have the Blood Knights, Tauren have the Sunwalkers, and Zandalari Trolls have the Prelates who served under the loa: Rezan.

All these races of paladins have established orders within them, we don't see them in Worgen or Orcs because they don't have these sorts of holy orders....yet. Hence why they can't do it yet due to a lore and storytelling issue...

You could just have the Worgen join the Order of the Silver Hand and "Boom.. done, now they're paladins" ...but then people will think that's just lazy and that the Worgen couldn't establish their own order like a Pack. Same to Orcs who could just form a Clan of Divine Holy Warriors.
    I would love to see this all happen. I just want them to make it make sense when it comes out.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, a lot of them should have already been unlocked since maybe Cata onwards.
    Lore is no reason to say a player cannot be a Tauren rogue; the player should be able to be the exception to the rule, especially since we've basically been the Champion who's saved Azeroth multiple times already up to the point of Cata (and several times since then, too).
    It makes sense that it would take time for animations and such, getting art assets in place, all that is well and good, but lore should never be the main reason because "lore" is nothing but made up fantasy pulled out of the brains of random people.
    It's not real world, it's all make believe, and make believing an Undead druid is perfectly fine to do, lore be damned about the rest.

I've never been a fan of restricting classes based on race. Night Elf Paladin let's gooooo!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Is "The Light" then just a manifestation of any kind of worship? Because that's what you're trying to say; as long as a race has something they worship, then they can tap into The Light. That doesn't make sense to me anymore.

The Light is just worship, regardless of what's being worshipped? I don't think so.
    You can worship something without knowing what it actually is.

The Light doesn't care about anything but being worshipped. It will give its blessing to anyone who worships hard enough.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhrrngt View Post
    Uh Goblin DH crave for power? Void elf paladin, Disc priest ring a bell? Lightforge warlock, Illidan in Legion ? Was a warlock before becoming light forged?
    Since when have Goblins craved personal power? They crave money and influence

That's a game mechanic, they can't just lock Holy and Discipline...but kudos on the sad attempt to defend!

Okay what the hell are you talking about? Illidan was a Mage not a Warlock "facepalms" and he was never lightforged...he isn't even Draenei so you just, I think you're just totally confused when you can't tell races and classes apart

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    If you're gonna say BFA and SL didn't matter then you must also mention tbc and wrath.
    Why?

TBC and Wrath had bad parts. BfA and Shadowlands are so much worse than anything that came before. It’s over. The lore went from being a cheesy retconfest into a fucking joke.

Quote Originally Posted by choom View Post
    Wait, why are the Mag'har Orcs called Mag'har if they are from the alternate universe Draenor that never fell to the Legion in the first place?

Uncorrupted Orcs in the MU being called 'uncorrupted' makes sense given the whole race was basically corrupted save a few but the Alt. Draenor Orcs never suffered the same fate, they are just Orcs.
    I would assume Garrosh taught them about the distinction when he convinced them to not drink Mannoroth's blood and start the Iron Horde instead. But yes, prior to his arrival it probably didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    I would assume Garrosh taught them about the distinction when he convinced them to not drink Mannoroth's blood and start the Iron Horde instead. But yes, prior to his arrival it probably didn't exist.
    I think it's to make a distinction between themselves and the guys in Tanaan who went Fel Orc.
    Twas brillig

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eosia View Post
    The WoW Community complaining?!?!? No!!! Never!!!
    Sarcams aside, the backlash was huge, and people didn't like the restriction, they had to come up with something else to shut then.

And where have they stated that Drak'thyr can only be Evokers and Evokers can only be Drak'thyr in perpetuity? I'll give you the answer... NOWHERE.
    sure, just like they said they would open DH to other races, and hwere still are.

Mind, you i was talking about DH and not evoker.

I am perfectly fine with temporary restrictions like this.
    And the problem is, temporary cam be from here to another patch, or here to never

Because the precedent is already set before with the original DK starting races in which all races, sans Draenewi (but they were included as a lore aberration because it would have been unfair for Alliance to get one less race than Horde since High Elves were available as DKs while Draenei were not around during the Third War. They fixed that problem by writing a new starting experience for them with the timeline moved forward to where Bolvar is the Lich King rather than Arthas, thus removing the lore restriction of the Third War.
    Draenei already were in azeroth when the Lich king started doing the new Death knights

Let's not forget that Demon Hunters can only be Night Elves for Alliance and High Elves for Horde and that restriction is going on 6 years now this coming August. There was a lot of whining back then. Not so much now. Hell, I see people more excited over Tauren Rogues than mad about Evoker's single race restriction.
    There still whining now, and they refuse to add non-elf options for DH.

Alright let's see... Druids first since they're the big hurdle due to the number of art assets they need.

Alliance:

Draenei: Between the rangari, their friendship with the nelfs, and the lost ones learning druidism in Outland it'd be easy for the Draenei to develop a 'druid' order of their own dedicated to preserving or recreating the life from Argus since it's probably falling apart just like outland, that way they could fix up azuremyst and bloodmysts ecosystems with argus wildlife, and shapeshift into animals from that planet.

Dwarf: The wildhammer could easily broaden from Shamanism to druidism, with gryphon-based forms that could also reappear as animal mobs. (Eagle faced bears would be great). Could also work with Bronzebeards for a ram-bear form of some kind, snow leopard or lynx cat form, and Wildhammer could have a gryphon-boomkin.

Gnome: This one would take some work. Gnome environmentalists? Gnomes exploring deep underground and developing druidism when they were cut off from tech as their city exploded in radiation above them? Rediscovered in an underground expac after having to live alongside kobolds and connecting with a rat wild god and such? Or go with ant/bee wildgods and such? Those have a scientific feel.

Human: Could learn from the Kul'tiran druids, and use those same models... but that's boring. Let's say the nelf refugees help them reconnect with the wildlife in Elwynn and surrounding areas. Maybe even tie into the Brotherhood of the Horse for their travel form.

Void Elf: Druids managing corrupted wildlife who can turn into Mindflayer-Bears. Enough said.

Lightforged: "Druids" who can turn into Weird Light "Cosmic Force" Wildlife?

Dark Iron: An order dedicated to restoring the wildlife of redridge from before Ragnaros exploded the mountains?

Mechagnome: Transformers, BEAST WARS

Horde:

Blood Elf: Botanists like that one guy from the Botanica, dedicated to regrowing the Ghostlands. Could play into a peace/treaty plot with the Amani even.

Goblin: Goblins who got stuck on islands near Kezan and had to connect with nature to survive? Or who just want to maintain the natural world so it doesn't become unlivable from their pollution? Slum goblins who got polluted on by the head honchos and decided to go eco-revolutionary? Maybe with animals from Kezan and the Lost Isles? A tropical feel would be nice.

Orc: Orcs who are devoted to Goldrinn? Who want to fix ThunderRidge after all this time? lots of easy options. But let's go for a creative one... Orcs that study the silithid now that the Qiraji and C'thun are dead from Sargeras's sword and get scorpion/scarab based forms.

Undead: Maybe they develop some kind of mushroom based druidism from the Fungarians/Sporelings? Or work with the 'bad' drust? Or just work something out with their alchemy and abomination crafting somehow. Maybe even Salvage the Maldraxxus stuff?

Nightborne: They're right next to Val'sharah, they'll get mana-based forms of the usual animals. easy.

Mag'har: A group who learned to control the botani infection and have Primal based forms

Vulpera: Desert animal based forms.

Bonus: Pandaren: August Celestials. (Yak Tank, Tiger cat, Crane Boomkin, Dragon flight mode)
    Twas brillig

Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    Alright let's see... Druids first since they're the big hurdle due to the number of art assets they need.

Alliance:

Draenei: Between the rangari, their friendship with the nelfs, and the lost ones learning druidism in Outland it'd be easy for the Draenei to develop a 'druid' order of their own dedicated to preserving or recreating the life from Argus since it's probably falling apart just like outland, that way they could fix up azuremyst and bloodmysts ecosystems with argus wildlife, and shapeshift into animals from that planet.

Dwarf: The wildhammer could easily broaden from Shamanism to druidism, with gryphon-based forms that could also reappear as animal mobs. (Eagle faced bears would be great). Could also work with Bronzebeards for a ram-bear form of some kind, snow leopard or lynx cat form, and Wildhammer could have a gryphon-boomkin.

Gnome: This one would take some work. Gnome environmentalists? Gnomes exploring deep underground and developing druidism when they were cut off from tech as their city exploded in radiation above them? Rediscovered in an underground expac after having to live alongside kobolds and connecting with a rat wild god and such? Or go with ant/bee wildgods and such? Those have a scientific feel.

Human: Could learn from the Kul'tiran druids, and use those same models... but that's boring. Let's say the nelf refugees help them reconnect with the wildlife in Elwynn and surrounding areas. Maybe even tie into the Brotherhood of the Horse for their travel form.

Void Elf: Druids managing corrupted wildlife who can turn into Mindflayer-Bears. Enough said.

Lightforged: "Druids" who can turn into Weird Light "Cosmic Force" Wildlife?

Dark Iron: An order dedicated to restoring the wildlife of redridge from before Ragnaros exploded the mountains?

Mechagnome: Transformers, BEAST WARS

Horde:

Blood Elf: Botanists like that one guy from the Botanica, dedicated to regrowing the Ghostlands. Could play into a peace/treaty plot with the Amani even.

Goblin: Goblins who got stuck on islands near Kezan and had to connect with nature to survive? Or who just want to maintain the natural world so it doesn't become unlivable from their pollution? Slum goblins who got polluted on by the head honchos and decided to go eco-revolutionary? Maybe with animals from Kezan and the Lost Isles? A tropical feel would be nice.

Orc: Orcs who are devoted to Goldrinn? Who want to fix ThunderRidge after all this time? lots of easy options. But let's go for a creative one... Orcs that study the silithid now that the Qiraji and C'thun are dead from Sargeras's sword and get scorpion/scarab based forms.

Undead: Maybe they develop some kind of mushroom based druidism from the Fungarians/Sporelings? Or work with the 'bad' drust? Or just work something out with their alchemy and abomination crafting somehow. Maybe even Salvage the Maldraxxus stuff?

Nightborne: They're right next to Val'sharah, they'll get mana-based forms of the usual animals. easy.

Mag'har: A group who learned to control the botani infection and have Primal based forms

Vulpera: Desert animal based forms.

Bonus: Pandaren: August Celestials. (Yak Tank, Tiger cat, Crane Boomkin, Dragon flight mode)
    Gnome could get a Rat Feral form and Guinea Pig Guardian form referencing those animals' connection to science experiments
    Humans could use a Lion as their Feral form
    Lightforged could have forms that look like Lightspawn
    Dark Iron could get some Core Hound/Firelands based forms
    Orcs could get forms reminiscent of the iconic Shaman unit from Warcraft III
    Undead could get a Spider travel form

Edit; Humans and Orcs could have blue and red highlights going down their backs in reference to how units in Warcraft III had their faction colors on them
    Last edited by Psykho; 2022-04-30 at 02:48 AM.

This stays and falls with good background stories and flavorful customizations through glyphs, armor and such.

Example:

The Blood Knights of the Blood Elves were a great implementation, as they had their unique ways to use the light. They weren't like human or Draenei paladins, nowadays they're a boring, dumped down version, like their whole race.

Same goes for Blood Elf druids. If they stay as Botanists, great. If they join the Cenarion Circle it would suck, because they lose their uniqueness.

If Blizzard can find unique ways to implement Orc paladins, or Night Elf paladins, who have their unique looks when it comes to the light, it can work. They did it quite well with the Zandalari prelates.

I could for example see shamans for humans. But they should definitely not feel like Orc shamans in human skin. Base them on the old Arathi and Alteraci human shamans, give them some scottish clan or celtic vibe, but still make sure they visually and culturally for humans and their current stage of evolution.

Immersion for me is important and i don't like insane homogenization.

I don't have a problem when all races can be stuff like rogues, mages, hunters, priest and warriors.

Lightforged Draenei being Warlocks is way too nonsensical for me. If there are ever Manari Eredar playable, they would need a extremely good and convincing background story.

In regards to Warlocks, they could use the approach we know from Classics. Warlocks are an option, but in the lore these individuals lay low, when they move among society they conceal themselves. They don't run around openly as warlocks, unless the people around them are accepting of it. Or in lore these individuals mostly exists outside major civilisation hubs. I know Blizzard already went the retarded way in this case though. One Metzen and his writing teams countless fails.

All in all I think certain class combos can be implemented well if done right, others should not be touched.

3+ Year Old Account
    Dumb decision. But the devs are so out of touch, it doesn't matter. I honestly don't even care anymore. If they do that with race/class combos though, I abandon wow for good. Like not even peeking around here and there to see what's going on with lore (quit playing wow mid bfa and haven't looked back but was planningon trying it out again next expansion). I'll just forget it exists completely.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoSe7eN View Post
    Dumb decision. But the devs are so out of touch, it doesn't matter. I honestly don't even care anymore. If they do that with race/class combos though, I abandon wow for good. Like not even peeking around here and there to see what's going on with lore (quit playing wow mid bfa and haven't looked back but was planningon trying it out again next expansion). I'll just forget it exists completely.
    Bye Felicia.

How are people against this? Nobody plays this game for its ridiculous lore so who cares? Besides with lore this bad literally any combo can make sense. More choice is a good thing.

Good. Most race/class restrictions are simply ridiculous at this point of the game. There is zero reason why things like Orc Paladins, Dwarf Druids or Worgen Shaman shouldn't be a thing.

NE Paladin's and that's all I care about.