Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Combat add-ons gone in Dragonflight?

Is my dream becoming truth, no more combat addons in Dragonfight? Would be so nice because the difficulty in the raids and dungeons would be designed without the addons.
    I never used addons and so for me dungeon runs in Dragonflight would be much better and hey maybe even M+0 possible for me tanking.

Asmongold Confronts Blizzard on youtube , Asmongold interview with Ion at 15:35

their goal seems to be to reduce their necessity, not to prevent them from working. which seems like a good compromise, especially if those who dislike it have the option to turn it off

The more addons they can make redundant the better to be absolutely honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Herald66 View Post
    Is my dream becoming truth, no more combat addons in Dragonfight? Would be so nice because the difficulty in the raids and dungeons would be designed without the addons.
    I never used addons and so for me dungeon runs in Dragonflight would be much better and hey maybe even M+0 possible for me tanking.

Nothing is really changing, just that some stuff will be built into the game.

Ion is not happy with the combat addons, the developers should not work anymore with all the combat addons in mind for develop new dungeons and raids. Best way is
    without the combat addons.

Ion is not happy with the combat addons, the developers should not work anymore with all the combat addons in mind for develop new dungeons and raids. Best way is
    But they have to, or any addon user will see little to no challenge at all.

I suggest you go read what he said again, because he very much talks about these things.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they introduced ways of telegraphing certain abilities better in game, the need for them could be diminished.
    Obvious stuff like the boss saying a specific phrase followed by a specific action. Or the boss flashing before an ability is cast.

Imho what plays the use of addons in hand is bosses having scripted abilities on a fixed timer. That's an open door for addon makers, and quite logical. Track time and pop up a notification on time-stamps. This doesn't have to change, but they could make that sequence more obvious by just looking at the boss/fight. An add running over to a specific place, the boss starting a certain animation.

One thing I really wish for is adding outlines to stuff on the ground and cone attacks. I really dislike the "am I in the fire or out the fire if I stand here? Can't really tell". Margrave Stradama is a good example of that. The tentacle slam visual on the floor is actually smaller than it's hitbox. If you where to stand just next to the graphic on the floor you'd get clapped even tho visually your character isn't in the targeted area.
    Ryzen 7 5800X - RX 6900 XT
    Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO - Crucial Ballistix DDR4 32GB 3600Mhz - Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
    Corsair 4000D Airflow - 1x ASUS 27" VG27AQ - 2x iiyama 24”

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    But they have to, or any addon user will see little to no challenge at all.

I suggest you go read what he said again, because he very much talks about these things.
    Because it is so challenging to follow what the addon tells you every step of the way.

Blizzard should get rid of combat addons, they have poisoned encounter design for years.

You clearly listened to the interview, so you *should* know the answer.

Ion didn’t say they were removing them at all. On the contrary, he said it was a difficult problem without a clear answer.

Combat addons aren’t being broken or removed.

Combat addons need to be abolished imho, needing a 3rd party mod to play a game is not the way forward, I'm kinda of hoping Blizz start disabling these adds and adjusting their fights to be fought without the addons needed, maybe telegraph combat like FFXIV has and make it so people can visually see whats going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Wewlad View Post
    Because it is so challenging to follow what the addon tells you every step of the way.

Blizzard should get rid of combat addons, they have poisoned encounter design for years.
    Sure, if they could just do that without causing tons of collateral damage. It's not a simple problem and there are no simple solutions to it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wowrefugee View Post
    You clearly listened to the interview, so you *should* know the answer.

Ion didn’t say they were removing them at all. On the contrary, he said it was a difficult problem without a clear answer.

Combat addons aren’t being broken or removed.
    Mostly because it would break lots of other stuff that's perfectly benign. Typical situation of people asking for simple solutions without thinking through the consequences.

I understood where Ian was coming from when he described why they aren’t so easy to disable, but at the same time I truly think they shouldn’t care about those road blocks at all.

If anyone didn’t listen to it he basically said “if you were to turn off combat addons what you essentially have to do is not allow addons to track things like buffs and debuffs, well doing this you also just destroyed all custom ui addons”

I think that’s an extremely small price to pay in order for them to not worry about building the game around addons. Some games don’t even allow addons at all, wow will be just fine if they get nuked.

You clearly did not listen. He not once said they are breaking them. In fact he mentioned clearly they are NOT. Cause if they do it will break all other addons thar have nothing to do with combat. Simple stuff such as a players unit frames.

What he said was they want the base ui to be able to show and telegraph stuff better so it is not needed. They WILL never break combat addons.

It's just as Ion described. Either addons are capable of reading buffs and debuffs and we continue to have combat addons like DBM/Bigwigs and WA, or they remove the capability of addons to check buffs and debuffs, instantly bricking most combat addon functionality but also disabling the ability for things like WAs to highlight a proc that tells you it'd be advantageous to use specific spells.

They'd rather build in functionality that has become expected for raiding into the base UI than simply remove the functionality from addons altogether.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

would be great if they included some functions and gave accurate telegraphs for bosses vs combat addons
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    FFXIV doesnt seem to have an issue with not having them. Just add telegraphs to WoW and boom real simple problem fixed with a really simple solution.
    Because FFXIV doesn't have addons in general. Your simple solution fails to adress the issue because you failed to consider the context.

You haven't even understood what the problem is in the first place.
    Last edited by huth; 2022-04-30 at 07:11 PM.

He literally said there's no way to do this. They just have to work around it.

Also implied (correctly) that add-on support is a huge benefit of this game. For a lot of players, it is something that sets this game apart from other MMOs. They are like playing unmodded Skyrim.

15+ Year Old Account
    The way that I understand Ions comments, and many of the comments here, is that the team currently develops encounters expecting people to have DBM/BigWigs/etc, but they want to get away from doing this. They make encounters in a way that almost requires you to have one of the bossmods installed.

FFXIV does not have addons, so they do not develop the encounters expecting you to have them. Because of this, they have in-game telegraphs for all but some abilities/ultimate fights. They have raid markers that are flashy and visually explain what is going to happen (boss will be turning this way, stack here, spread from here, all with 3D in-world arrows that are placed in a physical xyz space). Everything that the bossmod would do (except timers), FFXIV has baked in to the game client and 3d world.

WoW devs may be moving towards that style, where the game itself is more description and informative, thus negating a large amount of the bossmods that are required for people that don't want to install them.

Quote Originally Posted by k0nker View Post
    The way that I understand Ions comments, and many of the comments here, is that the team currently develops encounters expecting people to have DBM/BigWigs/etc, but they want to get away from doing this. They make encounters in a way that almost requires you to have one of the bossmods installed.

FFXIV does not have addons, so they do not develop the encounters expecting you to have them. Because of this, they have in-game telegraphs for all but some abilities/ultimate fights. They have raid markers that are flashy and visually explain what is going to happen (boss will be turning this way, stack here, spread from here, all with 3D in-world arrows that are placed in a physical xyz space). Everything that the bossmod would do (except timers), FFXIV has baked in to the game client and 3d world.

WoW devs may be moving towards that style, where the game itself is more description and informative, thus negating a large amount of the bossmods that are required for people that don't want to install them.
    I took it as that aswell and if they can achieve it, it will be a great benefit to the game, imagine being a new player reaching endgame and then being told you're playing the game wrong because you don't have 3rd party software installed telling you what to do, it absolutely ruins the experience.

Addon's need to be abolished, if it takes time I can understand that as long as Ion and the team can pull it off, also unpopular opinion I love the new UI layouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrexia View Post
    I took it as that aswell and if they can achieve it, it will be a great benefit to the game, imagine being a new player reaching endgame and then being told you're playing the game wrong because you don't have 3rd party software installed telling you what to do, it absolutely ruins the experience.

Addon's need to be abolished, if it takes time I can understand that as long as Ion and the team can pull it off, also unpopular opinion I love the new UI layouts.
    Not anywhere near what you think. They want to minimise the need, but do not believe they can remove boss mods without damaging the game far worse. They certainly don't want to remove addons and UI customisation in general.