There goes a fullback. Now a LS needs to be picked and the draft can be over.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Left footed punter with a weird technique that makes returning his kicks really hard.

Also he has a low ball drive that can cover some really solid distance.
    Probably works for the Bills then, they won't punt once they get past the 40 anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Checking out the USFL for the first time, it's interesting because Mike Pereira is both the TV official and the actual head of officiating so he is live updating during the replay of the actual official decision.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    There goes a fullback. Now a LS needs to be picked and the draft can be over.
    Is Long Snapper even a category?

I wish I had put money on Atlanta's first-round pick being a WR.

I find it weird that Carson Strong is probably going to end up not being drafted. Teams must really not like his knee or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Is Long Snapper even a category?
    Yes, they just don't get drafted very often.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find it weird that Carson Strong is probably going to end up not being drafted. Teams must really not like his knee or something.
    Maybe his parents got divorced, I hear the Seahawks only want players from "two parent homes".
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    The Patriots defacto GM, Matt Groh, made some comments on the end of Draft day press conferences that said "If you want a fast team, get fast players" and "If you want a tough team, get tough players". Now, at first I took those just for the typical Draft day nonsense pumping up the players you brought in, but, then I started wonderign that the Patriots felt this way about their Free Agents too they brought in (he specifically didn't just say drafted) and then I had an even more advanced thought that this might have also been applied to the players they DIDN'T resign or let go in other ways. Not fast enough, not tough enough.

So now I'm thinking about this offseason through that lens and it paints some of their moves in a very different light and I'm going through every move they made and going "are they fast enough and tough enough" and it's honestly mind blowing.

I mean, or you could have just had a bad draft. I don't know why you think Belicheck is some 5D chess master when his last few drafts have been meh at best.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seahawks were pulling that 5D chess game in previous drafts. Didn't work out well. They picked pretty logically this time. Even the RB, if you are gonna pick one in the mid 2nd it better be the best in the draft and non a scheme fit like they've done before. Time will tell, but looks good. Glad they didn't go QB.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    The Patriots defacto GM, Matt Groh, made some comments on the end of Draft day press conferences that said "If you want a fast team, get fast players" and "If you want a tough team, get tough players". Now, at first I took those just for the typical Draft day nonsense pumping up the players you brought in, but, then I started wonderign that the Patriots felt this way about their Free Agents too they brought in (he specifically didn't just say drafted) and then I had an even more advanced thought that this might have also been applied to the players they DIDN'T resign or let go in other ways. Not fast enough, not tough enough.

So now I'm thinking about this offseason through that lens and it paints some of their moves in a very different light and I'm going through every move they made and going "are they fast enough and tough enough" and it's honestly mind blowing.
    Sounds like you're hitting the copium pretty hard.
    /s

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post

Wasn't this basically the Raider's argument when they blew every draft pick under Mayock and Gruden?
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

The draft is usually a crap shoot. Never know how well a team did until a few years down the road, and it more has to do with the coaching the players get than anything else for most of them.

Broncos get to play in London this year. They have always done pretty bad in early east coast games, can't wait to see what happens when you combine that with playing the Jags.

Hopkins suspended 6 games. I wonder how long the Cards knew about this, would make some of their moves make more sense.
    Last edited by Grube; 2022-05-02 at 08:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hopkins suspended 6 games. I wonder how long the Cards knew about this, would make some of their moves make more sense.
    They must have known before the draft if that's what you mean. This is nto something that dropped today, cause they test, give the results of a positive, then test the sample again to confirm.

You can argue they would have done what they did anyway though. Their recievers outside of Hopkins were lacking, so the trade for Brown made some sense.

Mathieu to the Saints for 3 years with 18mil guaranteed. I like this deal quite a lot. I'm only reporting the guaranteed portion of the deal as I don't care much about money that could be earned or likely never earned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Wasn't this basically the Raider's argument when they blew every draft pick under Mayock and Gruden?
    Every first round*

They went for "character guys."

Then Gruden went away day 2 and 3 and Mayock picked guys like Crosby and Renfrow.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    An "independent review" basically the NFL investigating itself, could not substantiate claims that the Browns tanked games.

Happy to have Mathieu as well, wanted to get at least one LSU guy and there was never a chance of getting Stingley.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I mean, or you could have just had a bad draft. I don't know why you think Belicheck is some 5D chess master when his last few drafts have been meh at best.
    What percentage of years have the Patriots been Super Bowl favorites or winners since Bill took over? He empirically must be good at being a GM, and the idea that he is bad at it is patently absurd. The goal of roster construction isn't to have the most talented team, it's to have the team most likely to win. Despite popular belief, those are not always the same thing.

Besides that, the draft is a total crap shoot and you of all people should know it. Pretty sure a lot of the Bills fans around here were clamoring for them to draft any QB but Allen a few years back. How lucky did the Bills get because Josh Allen somehow magically developed beyond someone with glaring accuracy issues? That isn't something that normally happens, and its not because the Bills front office had the ability to project that happening. The Bills are relevant because they got lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by cordrann View Post
    What percentage of years have the Patriots been Super Bowl favorites or winners since Bill took over? He empirically must be good at being a GM, and the idea that he is bad at it is patently absurd. The goal of roster construction isn't to have the most talented team, it's to have the team most likely to win. Despite popular belief, those are not always the same thing.

Besides that, the draft is a total crap shoot and you of all people should know it. Pretty sure a lot of the Bills fans around here were clamoring for them to draft any QB but Allen a few years back. How lucky did the Bills get because Josh Allen somehow magically developed beyond someone with glaring accuracy issues? That isn't something that normally happens, and its not because the Bills front office had the ability to project that happening. The Bills are relevant because they got lucky.
    He had literally the greatest QB* of all time on his roster. Who drug average teams (and bad drafts) to the Super Bowl single-handedly. It's not a coincidence that the year Brady was surrounded by actual quality around him, they went 18-0 and we all know but-for a miracle pulled straight out of Eli's ass they would have been 19-0. I feel like on the offensive skill position side of the ball, the only draft pick they ever hit on in the past 20 years was Gronkowski. Which, btw, propelled him to his later Super Bowls.

Also, I absolutely agree with the Bills getting lucky. Allen is the exception that proves the rule. But they've drafted really well outside of Allen on top of that luck. We have 5th and 6th and 7th rounders starting on our #1 defense in the league last year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cordrann View Post

TIL a 1st round QB developing into a star is just luck, but a 6th round QB developing into the all-time leader in everything is being a good GM.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    TIL a 1st round QB developing into a star is just luck, but a 6th round QB developing into the all-time leader in everything is being a good GM.
    I mean I think we know even with the implied sarcasm but both situations are luck. There are tons of misses of 1st round QBs and many more misses in the later rounds with QBs. The difference is that usually 1st/2nd round QBs get more reps to prove they are a bad pick where many later round QBs don't even get many reps and are just labelled bad picks and tossed aside. Picking a QB in the first round and having them make it to a second contract is an aberration of late. I totally get why Denver sent out many picks to get Wilson, get the sure thing instead of the draft lottery.

If you DO get lucky, with players like Allen, Herbert, Mahomes you get to take advantage of it with their low contracts to load up your rosters before you have to give that 2nd contract so you get to go for it with deeper rosters. (Well not so much with Herbert, cause the Chargers charger things up too).

Supposedly the 2 finalists for buying the Broncos are Walmart and an investment group headed by the guy who owns the New Jersey Devils and is involved in the 76ers somehow and a bunch of other sports teams.

I'd actually prefer Walmart. At least he might try to be competitive so Kroenke doesn't make fun of him at family gatherings.