Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    I'm not sure that the apps that people in China and India are using is very relevant to the subject of failed right-wing Free Speech™ platforms in the States. You could have at least linked this one, which lists Twitter as 4th behind Facebook and Instagram.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...d-by-audience/

And even that's closing in on 3 years old. Things have invariably shifted since then.
    Technically, since #1, #2, #3 and #8 belong to the same company, they are a distant second.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Snorkles View Post
    Twitter makes its money from ads, which is probably the biggest influence in terms of what they moderate. Way above what the users want.

I don't see how new ownership is going to change that unless it becomes a paid service.
    He needs to do something. The interest payment from all the new loans + existing debt alone would on the order of 1B per year. That's one-fifth of their 2021 revenue of 5.24B (net revenue of minus 0.221B.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    He needs to do something. The interest payment from all the new loans + existing debt alone would on the order of 1B per year. That's one-fifth of their 2021 revenue of 5.24B (net revenue of minus 0.221B.)
    If his tweets are any indication he is doing something all right burning twitter to the ground with his trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    First mover advantages and network effects prevents that for the same reason that competitors have failed in the space in general.
    please, that's not the barrier you make it to be or Geocities would still exist beyond a punchline

people will move if a better product comes along
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

Quote Originally Posted by D3thray View Post
    Except that Elon doesn’t have his ‘wealth’ from from banking. He has it because the mob frothing at the mouth over the twitter deal bought cars from his company and don’t like what he’s done with the money.
    Strange way to spell 'rich parents and enough disposable money to invest in potential failures that luckily happened to go big'

Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    please, that's not the barrier you make it to be or Geocities would still exist beyond a punchline

people will move if a better product comes along
    not necessarily.

there are lots of great video games that just never got noticed by the crowd.

also similar is how Blizz keeps trying to add solo elements to WoW without realizing that people who like solo play have a zillion options to choose from and don't need to pay $15 per month and level from 1-60 to enjoy them.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Attackrabbit View Post
    Strange way to spell 'rich parents and enough disposable money to invest in potential failures that luckily happened to go big'
    Being born on third base is an accomplishment he earned.../s
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    not necessarily.

there are lots of great video games that just never got noticed by the crowd.

also similar is how Blizz keeps trying to add solo elements to WoW without realizing that people who like solo play have a zillion options to choose from and don't need to pay $15 per month and level from 1-60 to enjoy them.
    At last you branch out with your shit takes.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Luckily it hasn't changed, then.

I like how you keep having to add silly qualifiers like "to some", as if some people having bullshit opinions is somehow a contravention of fact.

Today in right wing nonsense arguments; "antifascists are the real fascists." Really letting the mask slip there (to say nothing of claiming stopping police brutality is somehow a violent agenda).

Yeah, no.

Free speech is designed to counter legal and political suppression of reasonable criticism and dissent. It is not an excuse for permitting the platforming of right wing extremists who are engaged in the malicious propagation of false information and hate speech - something which can very well end up being fatal to a tolerant and democratic society.

Again, you've not actually demonstrated why America's lax interpretation of free speech should be the standard of moderation on social media when all that has done has turned Twitter and Facebook into breeding grounds for fascism, anti-vax propaganda, and climate change denial.
    I mean I don’t take ‘bullshit opinions’ as contravention of facts, that’s why I disagree with a lot of yours. You’re the ‘to some’ part of that qualifier there.

I’m honestly just baffled how the party of tolerance that I voted for fairly regularly just over a decade ago has devolved into literal fascist beliefs (forcible suppression of opposition, regimentation of society, etc) while claiming to fight fascism. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascism

I understand the paradox of tolerance, believe me, there is a fine knifes edge to walk to path of tolerance. Mainly because you have to discard broad generalities and treat with each issue individually. Tolerance is not the easy path, but it is the right path (pun ironically true more and more, still baffled).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Attackrabbit View Post
    There’s an amount of luck involved sure as with any success. But the guy is literally combating climate change with his company and you all hate him for it. Honestly I view him buying a money pit like twitter to make it more of a free speech platform as giving back to society. Nobody else was doing anything about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean I don’t take ‘bullshit opinions’ as contravention of facts, that’s why I disagree with a lot of yours. You’re the ‘to some’ part of that qualifier there.
    That's nice. It does not mean the definition of hate speech has somehow changed or is subjective.

I’m honestly just baffled how the party of tolerance that I voted for fairly regularly just over a decade ago has devolved into literal fascist beliefs (forcible suppression of opposition, regimentation of society, etc) while claiming to fight fascism.
    You're honestly baffled by something that hasn't happened. Okay.

I understand the paradox of tolerance, believe me
    No, you don't, or else you wouldn't be calling efforts to maintain a tolerant and democratic society "fascist beliefs".

Mainly because you have to discard broad generalities and treat with each issue individually.
    See, this is the part where you and the rest of the right wing are telling on yourselves.

People aren't being banned from Twitter because of "generalities" (i.e. being conservative/right wing), they're being banned because of hateful or maliciously false opinions on specific issues. That you conflate those opinions with conservatism or the right wing as a whole is a lot more telling as to the ideological basis of conservatism/the right as it is constituted in 2022.

Tolerance is not the easy path, but it is the right path (pun ironically true more and more, still baffled).
    Not in situations where you're demanding tolerance of beliefs that are fundamentally destructive to a tolerant and democratic society. Which you'd know if you actually understood the paradox of tolerance and didn't wallow in blatantly false bullshit like claiming the right is somehow more interested in preserving a democratic society when it's their politicians currently engaged in voter suppression and passing hateful and bigoted legislation.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2022-05-01 at 05:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    I’m honestly just baffled how the party of tolerance that I voted for fairly regularly just over a decade ago has devolved into literal fascist beliefs (forcible suppression of opposition, regimentation of society, etc) while claiming to fight fascism. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascism
    The Democrats haven't pushed any "forcible suppression of opposition". That's just an intentional lie.

As for "regimentation of society"; Democrats have basically always been center-right-ish neoliberals, fundamentally. You get some mildly left-wing rhetoric from the back seats sometimes, more since AOC and Omar got elected and it's not just Bernie, but they've basically never been the core of the party. And yeah; neoliberalism likes a regimented, hierarchical structure to society. That's always been true for the Democrats, and way more true of Republicans.

And arguing that Democrats are fascist? Yeah, you're pushing dishonest slander.

But the guy is literally combating climate change with his company and you all hate him for it.
    I don't recall ever having said I hate Musk. Goes along with your crazy way of spelling things again I guess.

I understand the paradox of tolerance, believe me, there is a fine knifes edge to walk to path of tolerance. Mainly because you have to discard broad generalities and treat with each issue individually. Tolerance is not the easy path, but it is the right path (pun ironically true more and more, still baffled).

- - - Updated - - -

There’s an amount of luck involved sure as with any success. But the guy is literally combating climate change with his company and you all hate him for it. Honestly I view him buying a money pit like twitter to make it more of a free speech platform as giving back to society. Nobody else was doing anything about it.
    I used to be active on animal rights, environmentalism, reduction of the poverty gap, all very leftist ideas and traditionally always leaned democrat and still do.

Starting to feel the biggest disconnect from today's progressives has to do with their utter lack of understanding that stating an opinion is not an attempt at dissuading or making a convincing case for your beliefs, it is by definition the exact opposite. These "Today's progressives" will attack you and undermine whatever conversation you may be attempting to have with personal insults and claiming you are spreading misinformation.

Take a look at this: https://mobile.twitter.com/tylerblac...59134783770624

Elon Musk says "imo, Wellbutrin and Adderall is bad and should be taken off the market". Imo meaning "In My Opinion" and he is personally insulted by someone who claims to know more than him. Over an opinion.

Here on MMO-C we have so many tryhard debate kings who think because they know the words Strawman and Fallacy they are gods of the conversation.

It's really becoming the meaner, more ruthless political alignment. How did this happen??

10+ Year Old Account
    But the guy is literally combating climate change with his company and you all hate him for it.
    No, he isn't.

Tesla's production is more carbon-unfriendly than traditional internal combustion engine vehicles. You make that up over the lifespan of the vehicle, but most estimates put it at north of 10,000 miles before you reach parity and start being "better" than a gasoline-powered car. That's potentially "better", but not by the wide margin you'd think. And personal vehicle use isn't even the big contributor to emissions people make it out to be. Musk's selling cars, he's not "fighting climate change".

And then let's consider SpaceX. That shit's not carbon-neutral in the least.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post

Elon Musk says "imo, Wellbutrin and Adderall is bad and should be taken off the market". Imo meaning "In My Opinion" and he is personally insulted by someone who claims to know more than him. Over an opinion.
    Rofl. This:

Hey Elon, I'm a suicidologist, psychiatrist, and and psychopharmacologist. I have expertise in every aspect of this tweet. You are absolutely off base here and your uninformed opinions here are against the evidence.

Demonstrate the ability to learn.
    Is now considered "insulting", apparently.

It really doesn't matter if something is 'in his opinion'; if he as a public figure is going to use his platform to state opinions that are manifestly contrary to reality and potentially harmful, it is within people's rights to call him out on that.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to be active on animal rights, environmentalism, reduction of the poverty gap, all very leftist ideas and traditionally always leaned democrat and still do.

Starting to feel the biggest disconnect from today's progressives has to do with their utter lack of understanding that stating an opinion is not an attempt at dissuading or making a convincing case for your beliefs, it is by definition the exact opposite. These "Today's progressives" will attack you and undermine whatever conversation you may be attempting to have with personal insults and claiming you are spreading misinformation.

Because that "opinion" was willfully ignorant, uninformed, and could lead to significant levels of harm, particularly given the audience Musk has.

What you're pointing to there is a thing called "criticism". Musk was criticised, because he made a stupid, ignorant, harmful statement. And you've got a problem with that; you think Musk should be immune from criticism.

And that's fucking ridiculous.

That's what all this bitching boils down to; people who don't like being criticised, and want to find some way to suppress criticism.

Stating that something's an "opinion" does not make it immune to being criticised. And if you don't want to face critical responses to your public statements, you're free to fuck off and not make public statements.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Because that "opinion" was willfully ignorant, uninformed, and could lead to significant levels of harm, particularly given the audience Musk has.

What you're pointing to there is a thing called "criticism". Musk was criticised, because he made a stupid, ignorant, harmful statement. And you've got a problem with that; you think Musk should be immune from criticism.

That's what all this bitching boils down to; people who don't like being criticised, and want to find some way to suppress criticism.
    "The problem with today's progressives is that they won't let me get away with spouting blatant bullshit in public."

First world problems, am I right?

Stating that something's an "opinion" does not make it immune to being criticised. And if you don't want to face critical responses to your public statements, you're free to fuck off and not make public statements.
    It was an anecdotal opinion, like saying "guns are bad", which can be interpreted as a stupid and willfully ignorant statement as well from a different group of people.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was an anecdotal opinion, like saying "guns are bad", which can be interpreted as a stupid and willfully ignorant statement as well from a different group of people.
    And was criticised.

Which you, apparently, feel is terrible, for reasons you can't or won't explain.

Criticism is your boogeyman. Public criticism of publicly-held views.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay?

Key difference is that saying "guns are bad" doesn't contribute to an already problematic social stigma against treatment for mental health in the same way that spreading provably false information about pharmaceutical treatments for mental health does. It's almost as if there are contexts for these things that do in fact matter.

And was criticised.

Which you, apparently, feel is terrible, for reasons you can't or won't explain.

Criticism is your boogeyman. Public criticism of publicly-held views.
    This is exactly what I'm talking about. I'm not even engaged in directly debating against you, yet you feel the need to both make assumptions on my stance, personally insult me, then insist your opinion reigns superior over mine.