Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    I
    Take a look at this: https://mobile.twitter.com/tylerblac...59134783770624

Elon Musk says "imo, Wellbutrin and Adderall is bad and should be taken off the market". Imo meaning "In My Opinion" and he is personally insulted by someone who claims to know more than him. Over an opinion.
    If you're going to quote someone...do it accurately.

The actual quote
    Wellbutrin is way worse than Adderall imo. It should be taken off the market.

Every time that drug has come up in conversation, someone at the table has a suicide or near suicide story.
    Also, he is not "personally insulted". He's told that his opinion is uninformed and off-base.

Hey Elon, I'm a suicidologist, psychiatrist, and and psychopharmacologist. I have expertise in every aspect of this tweet. You are absolutely off base here and your uninformed opinions here are against the evidence.

Demonstrate the ability to learn.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is exactly what I'm talking about. I'm not even engaged in directly debating against you, yet you feel the need to both make assumptions on my stance, personally insult me, then insist your opinion reigns superior over mine.
    Lol, you have a very generous definition of "insult".
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is exactly what I'm talking about. I'm not even engaged in directly debating against you, yet you feel the need to both make assumptions on my stance, personally insult me, then insist your opinion reigns superior over mine.
    I'm criticising your claims and position.

And here was no "insult" in there. Not believing you and demonstrating that your claims are nonsense is not an "insult". It's criticism.

If you don't want to face criticism, making public statements isn't something you should be doing. Since doing so invites criticism.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

And here was no "insult" in there. Not believing you and demonstrating that your claims are nonsense is not an "insult". It's criticism.

If you don't want to face criticism, making public statements isn't something you should be doing. Since doing so invites criticism.
    What don't you believe?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I find it hard to take people seriously when it comes to criticism of Elon Musk when they "err on the side of Musk because I like and trust him."
    of course you find it hard to take seriously people with opinions that differ from yours, you've made that loud and clear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have I? Where?

I'm super open to opinions that differ from my own, its how you grow as a person. I'm just not particularly open to bullshit, though.
    I too like to pat myself on the back for being open-minded after calling everyone else's opinions bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

Which is a perfect mirror of his example with Musk. Musk made a public statement and got criticized for it by someone with more knowledge of the subject. There was no personal insult...he was just told he was wrong.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Twitter biggest problem is Facebook/Google. They have same business model - online advertising. However, both Facebook and Google, especially Facebook, have much wider user base which are desirable to advertisers. Facebook has 4 different platforms, each with larger user base than Twitter. On top of that, it has integrated e-commerce and payment system - Facebook Pay, Facebook/Instagram Checkout, Facebook Marketplace, business messaging on WhatsApp and Messenger, Workplace, Portal, etc. Then there is gaming. Occulus is now 60% of the VR headsets used on Steam.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Then there is gaming. Occulus is now 60% of the VR headsets used on Steam.
    Worth noting that their gaming/VR efforts haven't exactly paid off yet. They're very much billions invested in it (beyond buying Oculus) without much to show for it. Yeah they may have a bigger presence than more expensive headsets like Vive or Index on Steam, but having the majority of a niche market is still pretty niche.

10+ Year Old Account
    What don't you believe?
    You want a list? Okay. I'm cutting the direct link to these so they don't ping you additionally, but they're all your earlier posts in this thread, with some emphases added where I couldn't trim down completely due to context;

Starting to feel the biggest disconnect from today's progressives has to do with their utter lack of understanding that stating an opinion is not an attempt at dissuading or making a convincing case for your beliefs, it is by definition the exact opposite.
    Stating an opinion is an opening argument. If you don't want to invite that argument, the potential criticism of your opinion, your rights start and stop with keeping that opinion to yourself. Making it public is a communication, impacting on others, and those others can and will respond as they see fit.

These "Today's progressives" will attack you and undermine whatever conversation you may be attempting to have with personal insults and claiming you are spreading misinformation.
    1> Criticism and contradiction is not "personal insults".
    2> Were you spreading misinformation? If your "opinion" is based on claims that are demonstrably false, it is misinformation. So they're just . . . accurate. You deserved to be called out, by making false claims.

It was an anecdotal opinion, like saying "guns are bad", which can be interpreted as a stupid and willfully ignorant statement as well from a different group of people.
    I don't believe this to be a valid argument. A public statement like "guns are bad" can and will invite criticism, as well. Welcome to how open discussion works.

I'm not even engaged in directly debating against you, yet you feel the need to both make assumptions on my stance, personally insult me, then insist your opinion reigns superior over mine.
    1> I have to make assumptions, because I don't have your entire bio and inner monologue in front of me for reference. So I draw assumptions based on the context of what you actually said. The assumptions were minimal.
    2> I never "insulted you".
    3> My argument (not "opinion") is objectively verifiable. It's not subjective to my personal preferences, other than pretty basic ideas like "spreading falsehoods is bad".

So there you go. A pretty complete list of the things I take issue with in your posts in this thread today.

Edit: Just another comment on the "making assumptions"; I assume you're a human being, and not a chatbot. I can't confirm it either way objectively, so I have to assume it. Is that unfair? Or is it just how everyone acts, all the time, because it's impossible to function otherwise? If I walk around a house, noting that each wall is painted white, then if I say "the house is painted white", I am assuming the walls I cannot currently see haven't changed since I saw them last. Assumptions are a basic requirement for function.
    Last edited by Endus; 2022-05-01 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Worth noting that their gaming/VR efforts haven't exactly paid off yet. They're very much billions invested in it (beyond buying Oculus) without much to show for it. Yeah they may have a bigger presence than more expensive headsets like Vive or Index on Steam, but having the majority of a niche market is still pretty niche.
    The advantage of a company like Facebook is that they can afford to gamble. The company was sitting on 62B in cash reserve in early 2021. The interest rate income from that cash reserve was just under $1.5B.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone else? No, just those with bullshit takes/opinions lol The very idea you think Elon Musk is someone to trust is where I call your opinion bullshit, yes.
    I really loathe that argument, that it's just a "difference of subjective opinion/preference".

If you like zucchini, look, you do you, but I hate the stuff. I'm not gonna try and argue it's "bad" and you shouldn't eat it; my preferences stop with me, though.

You're making a value statement that you expect others to take into account? Then you're not just talking about subjective preferences any more, and your argument is gonna be held to scrutiny.

If you don't like Marvel movies, fine. If you're telling people that Marvel movies are "bad" and they shouldn't like them, you're gonna get criticism.

If Musk had stopped at saying he was worried about taking Wellbutrin that he was prescribed because of what he'd heard somewhere, that'd be one thing (though that also invites people giving him information). But he was going way past that, and making broad statements about dangers the drug posed to everyone. Based on basically nothing.
    Last edited by Endus; 2022-05-01 at 06:30 PM.

just in case anyone was wondering what Musk's motivations for buying twitter are: unbanning the Babylon bee after they called a transgender government official "man of the year."

so just confirming what most people have been saying: free speech is when I get to harass and dehumanize people without any consequence.

Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    just in case anyone was wondering what Musk's motivations for buying twitter are: unbanning the Babylon bee after they called a transgender government official "man of the year."

so just confirming what most people have been saying: free speech is when I get to harass and dehumanize people without any consequence.
    Most of the "freeze peach" warriors really just want to be unmitigated assholes to everyone else without consequence, in my experience. This checks out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    I see he's still super salty his wife left him for Chelsea Manning.

Actual manchild.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Most of the "freeze peach" warriors really just want to be unmitigated assholes to everyone else without consequence, in my experience. This checks out.
    I suspect on top of a mass exodus of advertisers employees of twitter are going to be hitting the road as soon as they get their checks. Tech workers are in extremely high demand and working for Musk isn't exactly going to be the highlight of your resume once he is done.

MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell gets banned from Twitter, again

Mike Lindell, chief executive officer of MyPillow, talks to reporters before attending a rally outside the State Capitol, April 5, 2022, in downtown Denver. Lindell was banned from Twitter for a second time after attempting to use a new account to access the social media platform. Lindell set up a new account on Twitter on Sunday, May 1, 2022 under @MikeJLindell. But the account was quickly suspended. (AP Photo/David Zalubowski) MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell was banned from Twitter for a second time after attempting to use a new account to access the social media platform.

Lindell set up a new account Sunday on Twitter under @MikeJLindell. The account was quickly suspended.

Twitter said Monday that Lindell’s new account was permanently suspended for violating its rules on ban evasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell gets banned from Twitter, again

Mike Lindell, chief executive officer of MyPillow, talks to reporters before attending a rally outside the State Capitol, April 5, 2022, in downtown Denver. Lindell was banned from Twitter for a second time after attempting to use a new account to access the social media platform. Lindell set up a new account on Twitter on Sunday, May 1, 2022 under @MikeJLindell. But the account was quickly suspended. (AP Photo/David Zalubowski) MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell was banned from Twitter for a second time after attempting to use a new account to access the social media platform.

Lindell set up a new account Sunday on Twitter under @MikeJLindell. The account was quickly suspended.

Twitter said Monday that Lindell’s new account was permanently suspended for violating its rules on ban evasion.
    Why would he need to use a "failing" social media platform like Twitter when he has his own social media platform, Frank?!

7+ Year Old Account
    Did you guys listen to Neil deGrasse Tyson's take on this? I thought he made good points:

-----
    -----

Why would he need to use a "failing" social media platform like Twitter when he has his own social media platform, Frank?!
    Frank would be a great name for a right-wing free-speech social media platform. You can shout at the gender studies majors and say IM JUST BEING FRANK.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    Frank would be a great name for a right-wing free-speech social media platform. You can shout at the gender studies majors and say IM JUST BEING FRANK.
    Meh they already have that with "truth social" where you put out "truths".