Poll: Do you like the Drac'thyr Evoker?

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Janitor View Post
    I mean the meh is kind of implicit here. Not liking them doesn't mean you hate them.
    Doesn't mean i hate them doesn't mean i dislike them, doesn't mean i like them, doesn't mean i love them.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    I've worked in the videogame industry, and I've worked for a few major studios. It's unheard of for lone artists to completely dictate the direction of major features on the level of race and classes in MMOs without input and approval from multiple sources. It simply doesn't happen, especially one something as massive as WoW.

It's absolutely ridiculous to believe that the artist who designed the Dracthyr had any influence beyond their personal creativity heavily dictated by their managers. Again, at any point if their higher ups felt that the artist was betraying the direction they wanted to take the new WoW race, they would have been told to restart the design process, or at a more extreme level (if they simply can't reach the goal put forth by the team) be removed from the concept entirely and replaced with another artist.

That artist works for Blizzard, not the other way around.

Also FYI, Lead Artists work in teams, and work under Art Directors.
    I don’t think a single person here said or even hinted at the thought that this person was ‘dictating’ a single thing. Even so that isn’t what I said at all so I have no idea why you’re arguing under this goal post. I literally said it isn’t a wild idea to suggest they heavily influenced the direction the art took. Sure higher ups may have approved the art, but I never said that they didn’t. If you even look at blizzards job description for the position it plainly states that their duties include directing the art team on the direction of character design.

Also I just want to point this out really quick

I've worked in the videogame industry, and I've worked for a few major studios.
    That’s really cool and all, but if you didn’t specifically work for blizzard then this doesn’t mean much of anything. Working in my field, going from business to business it’s staggering to see the differences in how different companies operate.

It's absolutely ridiculous to believe that the artist who designed the Dracthyr had any influence beyond their personal creativity
    Yeah, that’s exactly what I’m saying though. Their personal creativity could have heavily influenced the final product. Like, I don’t know if you realize this but you sort of just agreed with me lol.

I feel like Blizzard missed an opportunity to introduce more flavor to the world. I mean, more customization and flavor is never a bad thing, and I think with this new class they could've rather easily given the player the option to be a Bronze, Red, Blue, Green or Black dragon fully.

What I mean by that is that, rather than have the class being some generic Captain Planet drawing from all four, you could choose to theme your spell casts around one of the Dragonflights (e.g. choosing red and you'd get fire-themed visual effects, and bronze might be golden with some sand-y particle effects)

I think that'd give the class some very desirable flavor, because I feel it takes away from their identity that they don't really have a flight theme and just use spells from all schools

Imagine waiting years for dragon race and class and then you end up with androgynous furry fantasy in the form of spider lizard. What went wrong, who fucked up so hard, why would chief artist allow this unwarcrafty shit to even pass concept stage. Is this what dimension shift is all about and I ended up in the shittiest version where Blizzard creates literal UwU.

Initially I was happy to see them introduced to the game. I have always been a fan of the old Breath of Fire JRPG series from the 90's. The idea of playing a dragon in human form with the ability to transform for certain combat bonuses and abilities has always been interesting to me. However. After looking at these models as they are now, I am not so impressed. As many have stated they are very frail looking. If they just made their humanoid forms with a few more options into the game that would have been great. Allow players to stay in those forms as long as they like even while in combat, but allow them to transform into legit dragons for a certain duration. If not in combat then it could be Indefinite, or while in combat maybe just a certain time period to use and gain bonuses to abilities and damage, etc.

TLDR; Too Frail, Not a proper true Dragon form. Not enough options. Feels like they tried to make them too androgynous looking to maybe tick off that box, or what I don't know.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Au-burn View Post
    Imagine waiting years for dragon race and class and then you end up with androgynous furry fantasy in the form of spider lizard. What went wrong, who fucked up so hard, why would chief artist allow this unwarcrafty shit to even pass concept stage. Is this what dimension shift is all about and I ended up in the shittiest version where Blizzard creates literal UwU.
    Sadly I have to agree. You kinda hit the nail on the head. Initially I was very excited but then that excitement became tempered when I saw how the Dracthyr actually look.

So far? Not really.

Doesn't feel like the first hero caster class ever in the franchise. Almost 20 years... It feels like how to train *cough* play a dragon. They could just give that its own spec. I want fire heals, no recycle druid moves. I want sand moves for ranged DPS hourglasses and time. Sand moves you could reference Gaara in Naruto. It works and is popular. (Also we will be getting lots of sand movies next coming years..) I loved the idea of an Earth tank but it seems like they don't want to listen...

Some people are trying to silence people in this thread for asking for the things they want. Yet the concept we got failed to blow up the internet and interests of millions. Can we do something more fun please and possibly listen to the audience. Some people are trying to help. Not some weird bag of ticks that is mostly how to play a dragon.
    Last edited by Icelin; 2022-05-01 at 07:52 PM.

Herald of the Titans Nightshade711's Avatar
    1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Au-burn View Post
    Agreed.
    I wanted some form of reptilian race for a while, be it Naga, Sethrak, Drakonids, etc, and from what they've shown the Dracthyr are a disappointment.
    Here's to hoping that the other torso options that they 'haven't shown' are better.

But at least they didn't go the traditional blizzard route and give them lizard titties.
    Chen isn't a Monk

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temporaldrift View Post
    I don’t think a single person here said or even hinted at the thought that this person was ‘dictating’ a single thing. Even so that isn’t what I said at all so I have no idea why you’re arguing under this goal post. I literally said it isn’t a wild idea to suggest they heavily influenced the direction the art took. Sure higher ups may have approved the art, but I never said that they didn’t. If you even look at blizzards job description for the position it plainly states that their duties include directing the art team on the direction of character design.
    Which report to the art director (or art directors) for final approval, and in turn, the art director has to get approval from senior designers.

The problem is that you're once again assuming that this person has some sort of influence that they don't have.

Also I just want to point this out really quick

That’s really cool and all, but if you didn’t specifically work for blizzard then this doesn’t mean much of anything. Working in my field, going from business to business it’s staggering to see the differences in how different companies operate.
    If you honestly believe that an entity as large as Blizzard isn't operating under the conventions of what modern gaming companies operate under, I don't know what to tell you. Again, there are simply certain things that don't happen in large studios, and having a major feature being controlled by a single person is one of them.

Yeah, that’s exactly what I’m saying though.
    No it isn't, because you're giving this artist influence that they don't have.

Their personal creativity could have heavily influenced the final product. Like, I don’t know if you realize this but you sort of just agreed with me lol.
    Their personal creativity which was sought after by the senior development staff, and agreed upon and supported by multiple parties in every step of creation. In short, this isn't a direction dictated by a lone artist, it is a direction dictated by Blizzard.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kixxenn View Post
    Some people are trying to silence people in this thread for asking for the things they want. Yet the concept we got failed to blow up the internet and interests of millions. Can we do something more fun please and possibly listen to the audience. Some people are trying to help. Not some weird bag of ticks that is mostly how to play a dragon.
    In all seriousness, if you're trying to enact some actual change in the design, complaining about it here won't solve anything. You're better off complaining on Twitter or the official forums.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2022-05-01 at 07:57 PM.

Which report to the art director (or art directors) for final approval, and in turn, the art director has to get approval from senior designers.

The problem is that you're once again assuming that this person has some sort of influence that they don't have.

If you honestly believe that an entity as large as Blizzard isn't operating under the conventions of what modern gaming companies operate under, I don't know what to tell you. Again, there are simply certain things that don't happen in large studios, and having a major feature being controlled by a single person is one of them.

No it isn't, because you're giving this artist influence that they don't have.

Their personal creativity which was sought after by the senior development staff, and agreed upon and supported by multiple parties in every step of creation. In short, this isn't a direction dictated by a lone artist, it is a direction dictated by Blizzard.
    Everything you just said I addressed in my last post and yet you still are using words like dictate. Also you keep saying “BUT ITS APPROVED BY HIGHER UPS”

Again, just like I said in my last post

I literally said it isn’t a wild idea to suggest they heavily influenced the direction the art took. Sure higher ups may have approved the art, but I never said that they didn’t
    You didn’t add anything to what I said, you keep going on this rant as if I’m arguing that this person created it by themselves when that’s not what I said. I said heavily influenced the direction. Are you even reading what I’m saying or are you in full rage mode so you’re just repeating yourself.

If you honestly believe that an entity as large as Blizzard isn't operating under the conventions of what modern gaming companies operate under, I don't know what to tell you.
    You don’t need to tell me anything because we both haven’t worked for blizzard. Only one of us is claiming to know how they operate.

Yep, 1 person cannot affect that much change at a company like Blizzard.....

https://www.dexerto.com/world-of-war...y-wow-1747186/

https://kaylriene.com/2022/01/25/syl...y-of-warcraft/

And I get it, you're not actually reading what people are writing, but rather assuming what you want them to say and replying to that. It is called a strawman argument and you are bordering on Cathy Newman "So what you're saying is...." territory.

Every post for the past few pages that deals with you says "its possible" "its not a wild suggestion" "it seems likely", where your responses are "IT IS", "you don't know", "of course it works like this". You keep saying that other people are making assumptions, but to quote a great movie:

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Given your past work on trying to provide ideas (that I liked) for a dragon class in WoW, I was content to humor your sudden switch to support of this offering of Blizzard's, however at this point you argue like a teenager who is full of certainty but woefully unprepared with information. I do not believe you've worked for any gaming companies, or likely even had a real job at this point (my assumption, given how often you post on everything, is that you are at most a late teenager who has no time constraints).

I get now why your name is basically a joke around these forums and people treat you like they do. You've earned it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temporaldrift View Post
    Everything you just said I addressed in my last post and yet you still are using words like dictate. Also you keep saying “BUT ITS APPROVED BY HIGHER UPS”

Again, just like I said in my last post

You didn’t add anything to what I said, you keep going on this rant as if I’m arguing that this person created it by themselves when that’s not what I said. I said heavily influenced the direction. Are you even reading what I’m saying or are you in full rage mode so you’re just repeating yourself.
    And I'll say it one more time; One person does not control, dictate, or influence how a major feature is going to look in a major videogame like WoW. So once again, the fact that this particular artist is trans is completely irrelevant to the direction Blizzard took the design for the Dracthyr race.

If you don't understand that, I don't know know what else to tell you.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2022-05-01 at 09:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So far? Not really.

Doesn't feel like the first hero caster class ever in the franchise. Almost 20 years... It feels like how to train *cough* play a dragon. They could just give that its own spec. I want fire heals, no recycle druid moves. I want sand moves for ranged DPS hourglasses and time. Sand moves you could reference Gaara in Naruto. It works and is popular. (Also we will be getting lots of sand movies next coming years..) I loved the idea of an Earth tank but it seems like they don't want to listen...

Hopefully they show more abilities and their rotations. So far I’m not convinced of their synergy.

Said it before that a drakonid-like race like the one in HotS would’ve been convincing, they’d play the role of any aspect based off selected class. The only magic underrepresented by current classes is time magic. Red aspect somewhat workable with disc priest.

And I'll say it one more time; One person does not control, dictate, or influence how a major feature is going to look in a major videogame like WoW. So once again, the fact that this particular artist is trans is completely irrelevant to the direction Blizzard took the design for the Dracthyr race.

If you don't understand that, I don't know know what else to tell you.

- - - Updated - - -

You do know that there's a massive difference influence-wise between a Senior Creative Director, and an artist right?
    Lol I love how I’m straight up telling you “no one is saying they are dictating anything you are just repeating yourself because you’re clearly upset”

And you go straight into “ILL REPEAT MYSELF NOONE IS DICTATING THE…”

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post
    Given your past work on trying to provide ideas (that I liked) for a dragon class in WoW, I was content to humor your sudden switch to support of this offering of Blizzard's...

Considering that this offering is 90% of what I wanted, I'm perfectly content with what is being offered. Obviously others feel differently, and that's fine. At this point I no longer care about continuing this discussion, I'll just sit back and enjoy the steady stream of new information about the Dracthyr Evoker; The Dragon class I have desired for quite some time.

As I said earlier, I hope people who are not as content eventually get what they want, whatever and whenever that may be.

Quote Originally Posted by Zodiark View Post
    Sadly I have to agree. You kinda hit the nail on the head. Initially I was very excited but then that excitement became tempered when I saw how the Dracthyr actually look.
    I lost all joy. I love the class idea but I hate the race.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade711 View Post
    Agreed.
    I wanted some form of reptilian race for a while, be it Naga, Sethrak, Drakonids, etc, and from what they've shown the Dracthyr are a disappointment.
    Here's to hoping that the other torso options that they 'haven't shown' are better.

But at least they didn't go the traditional blizzard route and give them lizard titties.
    Tbh dragon tits would be a price I'm willing to pay for two largely different models with one being masculine and other feminine.

I'm cool with it.
    Spellcasters aren't supposed to be bulky anyways.

If other classes are introduced, then sure allow other bodytypes, but as of now the race and the class are the same thing.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamilk View Post
    I'm cool with it.
    Spellcasters aren't supposed to be bulky anyways..

10+ Year Old Account
    Current iteration, no.

Strike 1) Their build just looks weak, would like to see them have an option for a more intimidating build.

Strike 2) I need to see them have access to more classes, locking an entire race to one class is just tragic nonsense. This is the most crucial change I’d need to see to even think about playing them.

Strike 3) I could maybe get over their limp looking physique, if you could cover up their model with your transmog of choice, like any other player race in the game, but you can’t even do that.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tekaqua View Post
    Completely Asinine, I've seen so many posts whine and cry about things that were addressed before they even posted about it. They aren't even reading they are just little toddlers throwing tantrums that its not what "they want". They think oh i whined and cried and this got addressed but in reality it was already stated... They think their individual want is the same for everyone else. Well it's not. I'm happy with what i've seen and read and will continue to wait and see the information as it is presented.
    What the blazes are you talking about? This is not about whining and crying, it's a discussion. People speaking out has always been and always will be a great motivator for business. If you have an issue with people discussing what they don't like about what they've seen of the new race-class then you are free to simply vote "Yes" and move on. Oh wait, you too have shared your opinion on the matter. How asinine.

- - - Updated - - -

You are right, there are people who feel the need to "defend" the Drac'thyr Evoker for whatever reason. Vocal minorities can be rather powerful, I think we have certainly learned this as a society by now. That's why we should be open about our thoughts on the matter, because otherwise Blizzard won't realize the issue and assume the wide playerbase have no complaints. Which if that's the case, then fine. But I've seen a lot of evidence to the contrary thus far.
    Last edited by Sagenod; 2022-05-02 at 09:43 PM.

"I haaate EVERYTHIIINNNNNNNNNNG OMGGGG Blizzaaaardddd"

Surely that must be the ongoing trend now, as usual. But as soon as the expansion draws near, "Omggg, can't wait to roll my Dracthyr".