Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    For myself... the first thing that pops into my head when I think Anime is "Akira". But maybe that's just because I'm an older anime fan so I won't speak for anyone but myself.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
    Who's the Mickey Mouse of anime? A character who is synonymous with anime, and known even by people who don't watch anime?

Maybe Goku?
    Not Goku.

Mickey Mouse is recognizable to anyone who hasn't even seen the Disney movies or shorts featuring him. Only a relative few would recognize Goku who haven't seen Dragonball Z would even have a clue who he is.

Pikachu is recognizable to a great many people who have never seen Pokemon. That would be the closest to Mickey Mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post

Boomers would be more likely to recognize Pikachu than Mario, so Pikachu wins out. And among younger kids, again Pikachu is more recognizable than Mario. Mario is more recognizable by gamers who grew up during the 80s and the 90s, but everyone - even people who aren't gamers - know Pikachu. Parents buy stuffed Pikachu dolls for their kids and office workers have stuffed Pikachus on their desks, not stuffed Mario dolls.
    Boomers know Mario more. According to: https://www.gamingbible.co.uk/news/g...itler-20210518 Everyone knows Mario more. And it isn't about who is more popular its who is the Mickey Mouse of Anime. How much Mickey Mouse shit is bought outside Disney World/Land compared to more popular Disney characters like Elsa? And how often does Mickey get his own series, games, and shit? Probably not that often. Pikachu on the other hand is thrown into everything they can. Pikachu isn't the Mickey Mouse of Anime cause he's still currently the most popular pokemon and Pikachu is really only the mascot for Pokemon unlike Mickey whose company has a ton of different universes which is why Hello Kitty is the Anime Mickey. Sanrio's most famous character is Hello Kitty but they have several different series/ips with the most popular atm probably being Aggretsuko.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Pikachu

/10char
    This.

/endthread

It SHOULD be Astro Boy, but hardly anyone knows him, only older or hardcore anime fans. Meanwhile, Pikachu's ears are becoming like the Superman symbol, the holy cross, and the McDonalds arcs. Ok, maybe not but close, it's like universally known to general audiences and pop culture. He's even already been in a highly successful live-action Hollywood movie.

Goku's a close second, but not as popular to Pikachu, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    That people don't know an iconic character that's been in active production for like 30+ years is silly. DBZ isn't even niche it's became so prevalent.

I'm calling absolute bullshit on *idk* who Goku is lol.
    I had to Google if Goku was the adult one, or the kid with the monkey tail.

It has to be Pikachu. Anybody recognizes Pikachu

Obviously Kirito

It's Pikachu, hands down.

DBZ and Pokemon basically introduced anime to the majority of western viewers but while the DBZ hype died down, Pokemon not only remained strong but fucking grew into an enormous phenomenon.

Ash Ketchum and Pikachu, but people didn't really know that Pokemon was an "anime". Same problem with Goku and Dragonball.

Perhaps the most famous consciously "anime" characters in the West would be Kirito from SAO, or Saber from Fate.

In Japan, the most famous anime characters are Char Aznable from Gundam, and Luffy from One Piece. Those characters are hardly known in the West outside of the hardcore anime fandom.

- - - Updated - - -

Dragonball was only really popular if you grew up in the 80s and the 90s. It is practically unheard of among younger generations.

- - - Updated - - -

Boomers would be more likely to recognize Pikachu than Mario, so Pikachu wins out. And among younger kids, again Pikachu is more recognizable than Mario. Mario is more recognizable by gamers who grew up during the 80s and the 90s, but everyone - even people who aren't gamers - know Pikachu. Parents buy stuffed Pikachu dolls for their kids and office workers have stuffed Pikachus on their desks, not stuffed Mario dolls.

- - - Updated - - -

Hardly known in the West. Only people who are hardcore into the history of anime know who Doraemon is.

- - - Updated - - -

More known of in the West but hardly a household name.

- - - Updated - - -

Massive in Japan but not as well known in the West. The height of Gundam's popularity in the West was when Wing and SEED aired on Toonami, but that's still relatively niche.

- - - Updated - - -

Massive in Japan, not so in the West. Do people who aren't into anime know who Luffy is? No, they don't.

- - - Updated - - -

Millenials know who Naruto is. Boomers and Gen Z don't.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello Kitty was popular in the West during the 2000s. Seems to have fallen off of the map today.
    There is no single outstanding anime character like mickey mouse which is why i listed several. Each of has potential to be the mickey mouse of anime regardless of status in the west.
    DRAGONFLIGHT BETA CLUB

Dragonball was only really popular if you grew up in the 80s and the 90s. It is practically unheard of among younger generations.
    I grew up in the 80s and 90s and never once saw DBZ on my morning cartoons. I was in the whole He-Man, Thundercats, G.I. Joe, Captain Planet generation.

I learned about Goku literally when I started modding this forum in like 2010.

Hello Kitty was popular in the West during the 2000s. Seems to have fallen off of the map today.
    Hello Kitty not quite as "The premier Character" but as a symbol

If you were to ask what the biggest thing Sanrio makes right now its Aggresuko by a long shot hell what's the last thing you saw Mickey in? Fuck name like 3 of Mickey's personality traits or anything about Mickey's character and compare that to Donald or Goofy or even fucking Pluto who's literally just a fucking dog. Mickey Mouse is a symbol like Hello Kitty. The only time Mickey wasn't just a symbol was that early era of Disney between Steamboat Willy and Snow White. The same with Hello Kitty, she herself isn't a popular as a character I couldn't tell you a single fucking thing about her personality or character except she's adorable and literally on everything but GOD DAMN are people more than aware of her existence and what she looks like

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
    This. I find it really hard to believe that anyone under the age of 40 doesn't know who Goku is, given how popular DBZ was in the 90s and 2000s. Except MAYBE if they didn't have cable growing up.

You have to have been living under a rock for 30+ years to not have at least HEARD of Goku.
    Dragonball didn't have as wide of an appeal as Pokemon did, in that dragonball really skewed far more heavily towards a young male demographic. And where I grew up, Dragonball only really played in after school hours on Cartoon Network, and DBZ aired later at night on Toonami, primarily on weekdays. Meanwhile, Pokemon was one of the preemo saturday morning cartoon mainstays on WB; you didn't have to have cable to watch it, unlike Dragonball. If you were watching Saturday morning cartoons, you were probably watching Pokemon.

Furthermore, Goku isn't nearly as... ubiquitous... as Pikachu. Like, people might vaguely recognize Goku as some anime guy with big hair, to fall into the general cultural knowledge of other various anime guys with big hair, but that's probably about it. But Pikachu? Pikachu says its name, is hyper-cute, generally non-offensive to adults (outside of some fundamental Christians who had a problem with pokemon "evolution," but even then they would still know what Pokemon was so they could protest it) and was present in multiple forms of media people were, in one way or another, familiar with (films, TV, games, trading cards) that were much more mainstream than anything Goku was in.

Selection bias is strong. People who were really into Dragonball as kids probably had their friends who were really into dragonball and bought a bunch of the action figures and sought out every VHS copy of the movies so of course Dragonball was big in their minds. But that's not how most of the world saw it. DBZ wasn't, for lack of a better term, shoved down people's throats like Pokemon, and by extension Pikachu, was.

And remember to most people "Anime" is just "those cartoons from Japan." People have very little operational knowledge of what it is and even that it isn't just synonymous with kid's cartoons.

An anecdotal example, but... if I rang up my mom and dad right now cross-country and asked them who Goku was... they'd have no idea. And I watched Dragonball and DBZ in my dad's classroom afterschool while he graded paperwork. But if I asked if they knew who Pikachu was? They certainly would, likely accompanied by my mom trying to imitate Pikachu's little cry over the phone.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

5+ Year Old Account
    Not sure why mickey is the logo, most liked donald duck..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    Hello Kitty not quite as "The premier Character" but as a symbol

If you were to ask what the biggest thing Sanrio makes right now its Aggresuko by a long shot hell what's the last thing you saw Mickey in? Fuck name like 3 of Mickey's personality traits or anything about Mickey's character and compare that to Donald or Goofy or even fucking Pluto who's literally just a fucking dog. Mickey Mouse is a symbol like Hello Kitty. The only time Mickey wasn't just a symbol was that early era of Disney between Steamboat Willy and Snow White. The same with Hello Kitty, she herself isn't a popular as a character I couldn't tell you a single fucking thing about her personality or character except she's adorable and literally on everything but GOD DAMN are people more than aware of her existence and what she looks like
    This is a VERY legitimate point and I agree with it.
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I grew up in the 80s and 90s and never once saw DBZ on my morning cartoons. I was in the whole He-Man, Thundercats, G.I. Joe, Captain Planet generation.

What did you do before modding? Man a radio relay station in Antarctica?

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it really that surprising not knowing who Goku is?

As I previously said, I'm pretty sure it's a regional thing, whether Goku was ever part of your childhood, and not everyone is all that interested in clicking the various "Superman vs Goku" threads, or care enough to check who he even is when his name comes up in random-ass conversations. Might be severely allergic to Anime, like I am, although Dragon Ball is something my body really likes.
    Last edited by Santti; 2022-04-30 at 09:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Yea...I used to buy comicbooks religiously in the 80s and most of the 90s. But since I had zero interest in anime it just never grabbed my attention to the point of remembering any particular title except "Akira," and that only because I used to know someone by that name.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably Goku, Naruto, Luffy or Pikachu.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

I mean, I was into sports, and industrial warehouse raves, and lots of drugs when I was a teenager.....and then I went to college and I spent the 00s protesting the Bush Administration, going to the Peace Corps, and then going to law school.

My nerd side is only one small facet of who I am.

10+ Year Old Account
    That people don't know an iconic character that's been in active production for like 30+ years is silly. DBZ isn't even niche it's became so prevalent.

I'm calling absolute bullshit on *idk* who Goku is lol.
    I mean, I recognize the art style and if you showed me a character from DBZ I'd just guess that it's Goku, I'd have to be right eventually.
    /s

My seven-year old and my wife can recognize Pikachu, and probably zero other anime characters. I'm not that far ahead of them in that regard, though, really.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis