Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    What was the wisdom of the old git this time?
    Pope Francis spoke of "an anger facilitated" perhaps, by "NATO's barking at Russia's door" that has led the Kremlin to "react badly and unleash the conflict".

Quote Originally Posted by Barzotti View Post
    Pope Francis spoke of "an anger facilitated" perhaps, by "NATO's barking at Russia's door" that has led the Kremlin to "react badly and unleash the conflict".
    He is not that wrong. When you have a paranoid neighbor, what do you do ? (The issue here is that neighbor have nukes).

Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    He is not that wrong. When you have a paranoid neighbor, what do you do ? (The issue here is that neighbor have nukes).
    But NATO wasn't "barking at Russia's door". That's a horseshit argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Barzotti View Post
    But NATO wasn't "barking at Russia's door". That's a horseshit argument.
    And yet, most of their bases tend to be on the east of the countries they are in. Again, do not forget the paranoid neighbor.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    That russian invasion is result of "Nato barking at russian door". Holy fuck grandpa.
    Another victim of russian propaganda.

10+ Year Old Account
    That russian invasion is result of "Nato barking at russian door". Holy fuck grandpa.
    Hallucinatory octogenarian says stupid shit.
    Consider the source.

Holy fuck grandpa.
    I see what you did there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    And yet, most of their bases tend to be on the east of the countries they are in. Again, do not forget the paranoid neighbor.
    When your allies are to the west, why would you need bases there? Also, the bases in western Europe were placed there during the Cold War. I know you know better than this. As for paranoid neighbour, yeah, that's true and means it won't matter one jot where the bases are.

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    When your allies are to the west, why would you need bases there? Also, the bases in western Europe were placed there during the Cold War. I know you know better than this. As for paranoid neighbour, yeah, that's true and means it won't matter one jot where the bases are.
    Well, to a paranoid, it means something when every missile is pointed toward you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deus Mortis View Post
    In what I hope is an ongoing saga in me posting stuff being on fire in Russia here is part 2 for today.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineWarV...w_russia_fire/
    Large Warehouse its on fire Moscow, Russia
    https://i.ibb.co/3MHW7bb/FRy2r-RWUAk19-AR.jpg
    It gets better.

Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    What was in the warehouse?
    Moscow Times: Fire Hits Russian Publisher Embroiled in Ukraine Textbook Controversy
    Fire has ripped through a warehouse storing Russian schoolbooks, days after reports that publishers would remove mentions of Ukraine from the nation’s textbooks.

Firefighters were called to a warehouse owned by the Prosveshchenie publishing house in Bogorodsky, east of Moscow, at 3 a.m. on Tuesday.

The blaze was extinguished just over four hours later, a spokesperson for the Russian Emergency Situations Ministry told the state-run TASS news agency.

They said that textbooks and other printing materials had been stored in the warehouse.

The fire follows reports that Prosveshchenie, one of Russia’s largest and oldest educational publishers, had ordered staff to remove "inappropriate" references to Ukraine and Kyiv from textbooks.

Staff members told independent Russian news outlet Mediazona that mentions of Ukraine had been removed from the company’s textbooks following Moscow’s invasion of the country’s on Feb 24.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Russia is doubling down on Lavrov's antisemitism. Israel demanded an apology and Russia is saying Israel is making anti-historical comments which explains why it is supporting a neo-nazi regime in Ukraine.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-...ost_type=share
    Yes russia, keep picking on the country with the most aggressive alphabet agency known to man.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, to a paranoid, it means something when every missile is pointed toward you.
    It means that its time for you(*) to take the meds or you'll(*) probably get sedated and dressed in a straight-jacket.

(*)russia

10+ Year Old Account
    NATO hasn't stationed any nukes in the countries Russia is complaining about being in NATO.

The furthest east the US has any of them is in Germany and Italy, as well as in Turkey.
    Last edited by zealo; 2022-05-03 at 12:09 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Hoooolyyyyy crap. Pope also met with Orban, where he was told that "everything gonna end on May 9th" to which he replied "I hope it will happen", not realizing it may very well mean sudden escalation. Francis fucked up big time today.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Hoooolyyyyy crap. Pope also met with Orban, where he was told that "everything gonna end on May 9th" to which he replied "I hope it will happen", not realizing it may very well mean sudden escalation. Francis fucked up big time today.
    Old fuckwit probably thinks we can stop ruski warcrimes by praying.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Old fuckwit probably thinks we can stop ruski warcrimes by praying.
    I heard he is really afraid of antagonizing Moscow Church, for some reason. Because apparently he really wants to keep good relationships with a guy who endorses and encourages invasion and it's atrocities.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Forum goers thinking Ukraine needs to concede further territory to Russia isn't the way the wind is blowing in regards to the permanence of sanctions by the west on Russia.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...premium-europe
    True, but if Ukraine agrees to a cease-fire (or even peace) without some of their currently recognized territory that may change.

I'm not telling Ukraine to do that, just that I don't think that the EU/NATO should block a cease-fire if Ukraine for some reason desires it, even though I have doubts about the feasibility of that outcome and I would prefer a different one.

- - - Updated - - -

I actually doubt that Russia would prefer to have the missiles pointed elsewhere - because Russia also want to be seen as a super-power and the missile-pointing project the image of Russia as a super-power.

While the extra eyes on Russia are letting us see more of these fires there's way too much coincidence in all of these specific places coming down with a case of combustion.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

You are aware that NATO is a defensive group right, the only way they would be under threat of NATO, is if they attacked a NATO member.

It's like a man getting upset at his partner which he abuses for joining a group that defends people when that get abused by their partners... does he have a right to be mad that now he can't abuse his partner without someone intervening to protect them?

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    You are aware that NATO is a defensive group right, the only way they would be under threat of NATO, is if they attacked a NATO member.
    To an extent that's true. NATO has been involved before in conflicts they weren't defending anything over.

That being said, NATO isn't the cause anyway. Anyone that thinks that is ignorant. Lavrov was spouting off in 2005 about how Ukraine was free to join NATO if it wanted. When other countries, the Baltic states for instance, joined up, Russia sorta just shrugged. (These countries directly border it). Finland is about to join and it's not moving to stop that from happening.

For all this talk of "NATO's eastward expansion made us do this" few are pointing out the most recent countries to join it were west of existing members.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by korijenkins View Post
    To an extent that's true. NATO has been involved before in conflicts they weren't defending anything over.

That being said, NATO isn't the cause anyway. Anyone that thinks that is ignorant. Lavrov was spouting off in 2005 about how Ukraine was free to join NATO if it wanted. When other countries, the Baltic states for instance, joined up, Russia sorta just shrugged. (These countries directly border it). Finland is about to join and it's not moving to stop that from happening.

For all this talk of "NATO's eastward expansion made us do this" few are pointing out the most recent countries to join it were west of existing members.
    Bolded: yet. But they're less likely to throw a huge hissy fit over that because Finland has 0 intention of coming their way and Finland isn't the 'cradle of the Rus'.

(Ukraine also has 0 intentions to go to Russia, but Russia manufactured a territorial dispute.)
    Last edited by Iphie; 2022-05-03 at 01:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    A tale of two US's.

1) U.S. says Russia's progress in Donbas has been "minimal at best"

The Pentagon assesses that Russia's progress in Ukraine's eastern Donbas region has been "minimal at best," with Russian forces continuing to suffer from "poor" command and control, low morale and recurring logistical problems, a senior U.S. defense official told reporters Monday.

The U.S. official described the Russians' operations in the Donbas as "very cautious, very tepid, very uneven," attributing some of the failures to "a risk and casualty aversion" that has persisted in both the air and on the ground.

"They'll move in [to an area], declare victory and then withdraw their troops, only to let the Ukrainians take it back," the official said.

The official also said that the Russian army's highest-ranking general, Valery Gerasimov, visited the Donbas for "several days" last week, but that the U.S. could not confirm Ukrainian reports that he had been injured.

In addition to problems in the Donbas, Russian forces have been pushed 25 miles east of Kharkiv — Ukraine's second-largest city — over the last 24-48 hours, the official said.

Kharkiv lies just 25 miles south of Russia's border and near the Donbas, but has remained firmly in Ukrainian control despite 68 days of heavy bombardment.
    The official called Ukraine's counteroffensive in Kharkiv "an incredible effort" that has denied Russian forces the ability to push south and link up with other units attempting to encircle Ukrainian troops in the Donbas.
    2) Look at (Vladimir) Putin, what he did going into Ukraine. I think it’s backfired on him. I think (Russia’s) going to have a lot of problems because of this. But he would not have done that if he didn’t think Biden was a pushover
    -- DeSantis, blaming Biden for Ukraine

Incidentally, DeSantis, considering that Russia is losing way more than they expected and can afford to...if Russia did invade because of Biden, didn't Biden just win? The damage to Russia's military, economy, infrastructure and standing have been decimated and no US troop fired a shot.