Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Blizz needs to bring back the cross-pollination hubs

Back in the 1990s, players of Starcraft, Warcraft and Diablo would all get dropped into a common meeting area in the battle.net lobby. This was genius design, as it created cross-pollination between the games. Starcraft players whom otherwise might not give Warcraft a second look would buy the game and give it a chance if only to play with friends who did. When Blizz segregated the games into their own ecosystems, the populations of all the titles were damaged.

Blizz needs to return to this successful model. Create a game hub for all Blizzard titles, this time a real city where players can walk about in the avatars of various games. They can show off their stuff to others who don't even play those games, which will lift all boats and generate new interest across the board. Sort of a walled garden idea. An Overwatch player can wear their epic skin standing next to a night elf priest in their top end tier set. They can chat and jump into games seamlessly.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Like some kind of VR chat thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Neverafter View Post
    Like some kind of VR chat thing?
    No, an actual city like in WoW where you run around and meet people in different avatars from other games.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well... I sorta have communities that can soft serve as such? I doubt they'll make a complete "realm" just for social interaction and chatting.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

5+ Year Old Account
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Well... I sorta have communities that can soft serve as such? I doubt they'll make a complete "realm" just for social interaction and chatting.
    They probably will as the Metaverse becomes a solid thing.

Microsoft will do it. I would be very surprised if the massive library of customizable fantasy avatars does not play into Microsoft's metaverse ambitions in the future. The 'Microsoft' Metaverse will be like VRchat but with all the characters from Warcraft/Starcraft/Overwatch/Halo/Elder Scrolls/Minecraft/Rare/Gears of War among others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilithvia View Post
    So. Sometime... In 5-15 years? As well, I doubt they would nest in with their property into other systems.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

yeah, ive been saying they need a 3d full immersion virtual lobby for 20 years. it looks like not only will blizz not do it, but at this point zuckerberg will do it with metaverse. :/

"Metaverse" AKA "A chat lobby".

5+ Year Old Account
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2 View Post
    "Metaverse" AKA "A chat lobby".
    more of AKA some sort of VR hub

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    So. Sometime... In 5-15 years? As well, I doubt they would nest in with their property into other systems.
    Once they are owned by microsoft, it's likely we'll see some sort of VR metaverse system where you can interact with everyone using avatars from HALO, Fallout, Starfield, Elder Scrolls, World of Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo, etc style avatars and order mcdonalds before hopping in game to play a match of Warcraft: Arclight Rumble or something

I mean I can definitely see where zuck is gonna go with that. He can cross-pollinate all zuck owned ventures with a main virtual "lobby" which would be more like an entire universe. its definitely gonna be huge. blizz could have done it a long time ago but they just dont understand social.

sounds pretty fucking cool - until it gets flooded with "WTS" spam

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I mean I can definitely see where zuck is gonna go with that. He can cross-pollinate all zuck owned ventures with a main virtual "lobby" which would be more like an entire universe. its definitely gonna be huge. blizz could have done it a long time ago but they just dont understand social.
    its not gonna be huge,it proly wont even happen,there is zero interest in such a thing,people who wanna play X just go play X they dont go in a weird chat lobby before

there are vr hub games but lets face it....the people there are a bit...''problematic''

Have you not experienced the online community for a long time? Back when this was a thing people weren’t toxic and abusive like they are now. It would also be a very pointless thing because you would literally be there to chat and that would be it because you can’t force people to join a world to join another world (like Ready Player One style of living) nobody really would want that and it would be deemed a long stepping stone to just play your games. Cool idea but the community’s toxic behaviour would just ruin it all.

Perhaps add a chat feature to the blizzard launcher that would be toggled on/off at will but that would be the closest this could be I think

If my memory serves me correct this chat was basically jsut there while you either waited on q times for your matches (wc3/sc) or if you were waiting to join a lobby (wc3/sc/d2) right?

I’m not really sure how this would work in any of these games today. Like you would have to actually go out of your way to get into this ‘lobby’ just to chat with other people playing the game? I mean I don’t see why anyone would even want to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Royru View Post
    If my memory serves me correct this chat was basically jsut there while you either waited on q times for your matches (wc3/sc) or if you were waiting to join a lobby (wc3/sc/d2) right?

I’m not really sure how this would work in any of these games today. Like you would have to actually go out of your way to get into this ‘lobby’ just to chat with other people playing the game? I mean I don’t see why anyone would even want to do that.
    you could form a guild of players that enjoy several different blizz games. you would hunt for players of all blizz games in this lobby. you could show off your toon and its gear in the lobby. it really does work.

it worked incredibly well back in the 1990s. youd meet a bunch of cool people playing Starcraft, then join them all in the lobby. maybe they have a special channel just for them. maybe some of them want to switch to Diablo 2 and they ask you if you want to come. you never played Diablo but like these people so you quickly buy the game and join in with them.

the way blizz currently restructured battle.net is that it is very hard to establish a guild that plays several different blizz games. each game is now its own walled garden, instead of having all blizz games sharing a walled garden. thats gotta be costing them a ton of box sales.

you could form a guild of players that enjoy several different blizz games. you would hunt for players of all blizz games in this lobby. you could show off your toon and its gear in the lobby. it really does work.

it worked incredibly well back in the 1990s. youd meet a bunch of cool people playing Starcraft, then join them all in the lobby. maybe they have a special channel just for them. maybe some of them want to switch to Diablo 2 and they ask you if you want to come. you never played Diablo but like these people so you quickly buy the game and join in with them.

the way blizz currently restructured battle.net is that it is very hard to establish a guild that plays several different blizz games. each game is now its own walled garden, instead of having all blizz games sharing a walled garden. thats gotta be costing them a ton of box sales.
    I guess what I’m saying is back in the day it was much more convenient to sit and chat because most of the time that’s what you were doing was sitting there staring at the prelobby/que screen.

Now each game has you so sucked in there really isn’t a reason to ever ‘sit and wait’. For example in wow if you que something you just run around and do other things. In overwatch or StarCraft the ques aren’t really long enough to have this work.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the idea, but this is coming from someone who grew up in that atmosphere. I just don’t see the average blizzard gamer would even care about this, most just want to get on and play their games.

10+ Year Old Account
    So... Never? I am not convinced at all that the Metaverse will become a thing. At least not in the way that is presented today
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

15+ Year Old Account
    What would I ever use this feature for when discord and forums exist?

10+ Year Old Account
    No, an actual city like in WoW where you run around and meet people in different avatars from other games.
    Sounds like VR Chat with extra steps. No thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sluvs View Post
    So... Never? I am not convinced at all that the Metaverse will become a thing. At least not in the way that is presented today
    The best thing about Metaverse is that nobody really knows what it is, and everyones (companies) idea of it is different. The only thing they all agree on is that it should generate huge profits for nothing.