Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

What is the point of the new crafting system?

They are locking the upgrades around soulbound regents that drop from higher difficulties so is this entire revamp nothing but a new gold sink? Rather then just allowing the gear to drop at higher difficulties?

Don't get me wrong I assumed the worst from the outset but this seems to do nothing but add a pointless gold sink to what would otherwise just be normal loot.

It's reading as their solution to "bad luck protection" without using rng or yet another currency to just buy at a vendor. They're attempting to keep some RPG feeling by having things that drop in the content we clear be made into gear.

Crafting benefits the casual gamer and I guess it adds more ‘flavor’ in how you get your gear besides just spamming dungeons and raids 24/7 it gives players another system to work on if they want or if they just want to raid them just raid and get an equivalent piece from there.

I don’t really think you are going to NEED to craft gear but it’s an option for you if you want. And if you’re a min max Andy, then who cares you’re going to do it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Celement View Post
    They are locking the upgrades around soulbound regents that drop from higher difficulties so is this entire revamp nothing but a new gold sink? Rather then just allowing the gear to drop at higher difficulties?

Don't get me wrong I assumed the worst from the outset but this seems to do nothing but add a pointless gold sink to what would otherwise just be normal loot.
    How is the new system a gold sink when the crafter or buyer can have the bop drops for the item? It means as the crafter you can farm rare mats to sell crafts for profit or as the buyer you can farm everything yourself and use the new crafting AH for completion (this is all assuming i understand the new system)

Quote Originally Posted by Elbob View Post
    How is the new system a gold sink when the crafter or buyer can have the bop drops for the item? It means as the crafter you can farm rare mats to sell crafts for profit or as the buyer you can farm everything yourself and use the new crafting AH for completion (this is all assuming i understand the new system)
    You need to own the bop mats from harder difficulties ( ie mythic raids ,15s ) to make bop items. You can't sell the rare regents just the trivial ones. Think of the new crafting like lock picking kinda.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    You need to own the bop mats from harder difficulties ( ie mythic raids ,15s ) to make bop items. You can't sell the rare regents just the trivial ones. Think of the new crafting like lock picking kinda.
    they are also adding work orders so if you have a BOP mat you will likely be able to use it via work order to can get your item crafted or use a bop the crafter already has.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

yeah i understand all that, but like i said you can either let the crafter provide them (and pay w/e they charge) or farm them yourself and include them in the crafting request on the new AH, so this new system just seems better, either you pay extra for the people who can farm it early but craft you mythic ilvl stuff or wait until you can farm the mat yourself and have them craft pieces you are struggling to get

Somehow the system feel like the crafting system we had in BFA

The fear I and some other people have is that in the end it will raise prices for everything to a similar level like the legendary base items. There are different quality materials, some of them are bop, you still have optional reagents and your crafting skill also affects how many materials you nedd, if you get a socket or a tertiary stat or a higher ilvl. The question is how these factors interavt with one another. Do you need everything to be the highest quality+optional materials+highest crafting skill to get the best item? Then only a very few people will be able to craft such items which will raise prices to the moon. Or can you offset material quality by a higher crafting skill or use optional materials to offset other requirements so more people can craft items of the highest quality and create competition to keep prices at a more moderate level?

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    they are also adding work orders so if you have a BOP mat you will likely be able to use it via work order to can get your item crafted or use a bop the crafter already has.
    The bop the crafter has can't be traded...

- - - Updated - - -

yeah i understand all that, but like i said you can either let the crafter provide them (and pay w/e they charge) or farm them yourself and include them in the crafting request on the new AH, so this new system just seems better, either you pay extra for the people who can farm it early but craft you mythic ilvl stuff or wait until you can farm the mat yourself and have them craft pieces you are struggling to get
    You craft bop items... the crafter can not use their mats to construct the item for others.

7+ Year Old Account
    The bop the crafter has can't be traded...
    Yes and neither can BOP crafted items but you can still have them made and given to you through work orders so in all likely hood you will be able to use BOP mats through them as well.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Yes and neither can BOP crafted items but you can still have them made and given to you through work orders so in all likely hood you will be able to use BOP mats through them as well.
    I think you dont understand the system at least how it is atm. Let's say the crafter clears a mythic 15 and gets a 262 material to craft with.

No one but the crafter can use that. It can't be traded to anyone else and anything made with that can only go to the player that looted it.

It's like a tier token with needless extra steps. You can't " buy" bop gear from a crafter you would have to buy a carry then pay a crafter to make the item.

Quote Originally Posted by lordjust View Post
    The fear I and some other people have is that in the end it will raise prices for everything to a similar level like the legendary base items. There are different quality materials, some of them are bop, you still have optional reagents and your crafting skill also affects how many materials you nedd, if you get a socket or a tertiary stat or a higher ilvl. The question is how these factors interavt with one another. Do you need everything to be the highest quality+optional materials+highest crafting skill to get the best item? Then only a very few people will be able to craft such items which will raise prices to the moon. Or can you offset material quality by a higher crafting skill or use optional materials to offset other requirements so more people can craft items of the highest quality and create competition to keep prices at a more moderate level?
    I mean you just described an ideal system. If you want the best crafted stuff you either put in the work to make it yourself or pay someone a premium who wasn't lazy. One of the interviews specifically stated they aren't going to have a massive gold barrier to crafting like the current leggo system.
    There is no problem here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

You craft bop items... the crafter can not use their mats to construct the item for others.
    according to what was shown in the interviews, this is wrong.

the buyer can list a work order that is missing the BoP items, the crafter can then provide them and still craft the item for the buyer.
    so yes, you cannot sell the BoP mat itself, but you can sell/buy the service of crafting whatever it is crafted with those mats.
    The above mentioned remarks, ideas and notions are simply my thought on this topic. I do not wish to aggravate, denounce or criticize anyone who, for whatever reason, may disagree.

7+ Year Old Account
    I think you dont understand the system at least how it is atm. Let's say the crafter clears a mythic 15 and gets a 262 material to craft with.

No one but the crafter can use that. It can't be traded to anyone else and anything made with that can only go to the player that looted it.

It's like a tier token with needless extra steps. You can't " buy" bop gear from a crafter you would have to buy a carry then pay a crafter to make the item.
    With the little context form the blue post not sure we can take it that way.

The way I read it is that you get a BOP Mat that you can’t sell but can provide to a crafter for an item. The crafter could then also go out and farm these items to fulfil the release info of work orders being able to be done in full or in part buy the crafter or the buyer.

So if you wanted to provide work orders you could farm a ton to sell items but you wouldn’t be able to buy the Mats on demand meaning you would need to actually put in effort instead of just playing the action house or else the buyer can get the Mats them selfs and you can just make it for them.

really we just need more info on the work order system to see how it actually play outs because it’s already totally changing how soul bound items work when it comes to crafting.

Quote Originally Posted by Narzok View Post
    according to what was shown in the interviews, this is wrong.

the buyer can list a work order that is missing the BoP items, the crafter can then provide them and still craft the item for the buyer.
    so yes, you cannot sell the BoP mat itself, but you can sell/buy the service of crafting whatever it is crafted with those mats.
    This is incorrect. It's been stated multiple times the bop items that drop from difficulty are what keeps the power system in check. The crafter can supply the base items not the ones tied to higher ilv.

- - - Updated - - -

With the little context form the blue post not sure we can take it that way.

The way I read it is that you get a BOP Mat that you can’t sell but can provide to a crafter for an item. The crafter could then also go out and farm these items to fulfil the release info of work orders being able to be done in full or in part buy the crafter or the buyer.

So if you wanted to provide work orders you could farm a ton to sell items but you wouldn’t be able to buy the Mats on demand meaning you would need to actually put in effort instead of just playing the action house or else the buyer can get the Mats them selfs and you can just make it for them.

really we just need more info on the work order system to see how it actually play outs because it’s already totally changing how soul bound items work when it comes to crafting.
    I've been keeping an eye on it closely since this system feels like the " torghast" of this expansions so far.

Bop materials make bop items for that character they cant be farmed up and sold like that. They made a stressed point of it in an interview that was their way of allowing crafted items to be so powerful.

In the end it just feels... not pointless but tedious busy work compared to just making valor items locked to raider io or achievements like the max level conduits atm.

This is incorrect. It's been stated multiple times the bop items that drop from difficulty are what keeps the power system in check. The crafter can supply the base items not the ones tied to higher ilv.
    i have not seen anything stating that, might hav gone over my head.
    in this interview, it is implied that you have the choice to provide BoP items.

https://www.wowhead.com/news/10-0-pr...-weekly-326833

"You can basically browse any of the recipes that can be crafted, pick the one you want for yourself and then you include some or all of the reagents needed for the recipe including ones you can only get yourself."

going by this statement, including BoP mats is an OPTION, meaning the option NOT to include them should be there.
    if that is not the case, or if they decided to change their stance on this, they should have been clearer about it.

but i guess we will see once alpha/beta rolls around.
    The above mentioned remarks, ideas and notions are simply my thought on this topic. I do not wish to aggravate, denounce or criticize anyone who, for whatever reason, may disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Narzok View Post
    i have not seen anything stating that, might hav gone over my head.
    in this interview, it is implied that you have the choice to provide BoP items.

https://www.wowhead.com/news/10-0-pr...-weekly-326833

"You can basically browse any of the recipes that can be crafted, pick the one you want for yourself and then you include some or all of the reagents needed for the recipe including ones you can only get yourself."

going by this statement, including BoP mats is an OPTION, meaning the option NOT to include them should be there.
    if that is not the case, or if they decided to change their stance on this, they should have been clearer about it.

but i guess we will see once alpha/beta rolls around.
    That isn't how that is read though he goes into further depth in an interview... I want to say it was the wowhead one?

You have the option of providing all the materials ( the boe items or,leather,etc) the ones you have to get yourself with determined the ilv of the item. So far they only explained normal mode raids would drop normal mode ilv and mythic raids mythic ilv but I would assume that would carry over to dungeons as well and maybe rated pvp.

10+ Year Old Account

Doesn't matter if they are soulbound, if they are a reagent for an upgrade, you can find a crafter to do said upgrade through the work order system, or do it yourself if you have the ability.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Doesn't matter if they are soulbound, if they are a reagent for an upgrade, you can find a crafter to do said upgrade through the work order system, or do it yourself if you have the ability.
    Correct but that kind of begs the question why have this system?

Why not have it be a token you can turn in for a slot or is it just a desperate attempt to somehow revive lingering systems that should be put out to pasture?

If I am already required to clear difficult content what sense is there in adding a regent cost mostly gathered by bots to convert it into an item beyond brute forcing a trade system into the game?