Page 52 of 65 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was very pleasantly surprised to log in and start leveling post-expansion launch, only to discover that my DRG actually felt better to play than he did pre-launch. I guess for some reason I was expecting it to be like modern WoW, where you start off an expansion feeling weaker than before due to losing your Haste/set bonuses/trinkets/expansion gimmicks.

Man, i love this plenery indulgence quest... (whm stormblood). Id skipped it because (a) i didnt know it was even a thing. and (b) the reward is probably decent i suppose, but its kind of up there with aquaveil. I mean, yes, it makes me better in high level content, but i still dont have space for rescue (is it... 4 on my keybinds). Look, i suck as a whm. I am basic as shit. Im not sure where PI and aquaveile are fitting into this without a ctrl+ modifier. And im not at that point in my life where im willing to use a ctrl+ modifier. Either you fit into the qwrtgvcxza234(mb4) schemata (plus shift for double power) or youre dropped. I dont even know (please tell me if theres a way) how to bind my shift mw up/down. Because if i can, id be so happy...).

Point is, hooray!? I get a new ability i dont need for the content i do. Should i play a reworked summoner or reaper t avoid button bloat? No! Thats not the point of this. The point is that seeing sylphie again was such a treat. What an adorable and easily skippable quest chain... how fun it is playing through this!... Vicariously through sylphie i get to teach her (through gatty trying to control her powers just as she once did all the way back in arr), composure, fortitude and wisd...

Game... Who hurt you? What the fuck is wrong with you?

(ps: The sockpuppetry on these forums is getting out of hand).
    Last edited by ippollite; 2022-02-18 at 05:42 AM.

Made me appreciate wow

I've finished the MSQ, but I consider myself a noob still since I have cleared very little sidecontent otherwise and am now leveling gatherers & crafters. Naturally, I love the story. Shadowbringers and Endwalker in particular were a treat.

From a broad gameplay side of the conversation. I like that you can just do what you want whenever you want to.

So far, I also think the rotations feel more rewarding. You finish a combo and unleash a more powerful attack, I dig that. I'm also getting into housing stuff, and it's addicting.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ippollite View Post
    Man, i love this plenery indulgence quest... (whm stormblood). Id skipped it because (a) i didnt know it was even a thing. and (b) the reward is probably decent i suppose, but its kind of up there with aquaveil. I mean, yes, it makes me better in high level content, but i still dont have space for rescue (is it... 4 on my keybinds). Look, i suck as a whm. I am basic as shit. Im not sure where PI and aquaveile are fitting into this without a ctrl+ modifier. And im not at that point in my life where im willing to use a ctrl+ modifier. Either you fit into the qwrtgvcxza234(mb4) schemata (plus shift for double power) or youre dropped. I dont even know (please tell me if theres a way) how to bind my shift mw up/down. Because if i can, id be so happy...).

Point is, hooray!? I get a new ability i dont need for the content i do. Should i play a reworked summoner or reaper t avoid button bloat? No! Thats not the point of this. The point is that seeing sylphie again was such a treat. What an adorable and easily skippable quest chain... how fun it is playing through this!... Vicariously through sylphie i get to teach her (through gatty trying to control her powers just as she once did all the way back in arr), composure, fortitude and wisd...

Game... Who hurt you? What the fuck is wrong with you?

(ps: The sockpuppetry on these forums is getting out of hand).
    MMO mice changed my world. Considering there are a great multitude of brands out of different sizes and weights it's also kind of hard to complain that there "isn't one that fits my hand" any more. You can add shift and alt multipliers to the 12 buttons as well, it just adds infinitely more flexibility to MMO play. Especially FFXIV where there's a lot of utility skills that aren't necessary, but make you a god at your class if you can use them well.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who went from hardcore player in WoW to Casual, I am enjoying the aspect of being in a foreign world, different archetypes that aren't exclusively D&D based, and especially the community.

Entering a dungeon for MSQ and having people greet everyone and me being able to say "Hey, first time here. Besides not standing in bad stuff, is there any mechanics I should be aware of?" and people being kind enough to not say watch youtube or vote kick me is a huge +++, but to actually explain if there mechanics is awesome!
    If you take the wings off of a fly, is it a walk?

Nothing, i quit the game at level 66.
    Couldn't stand the look any longer.
    Queue Times in Dezember helped me quiting.

Quote Originally Posted by FFXIVuseryo View Post
    Made me appreciate wow
    Even though I did not go back to Warcraft and do not plan to within the foreseeable future, I oddly agree with this statement. FF14 was just not for me, just wish I didn't waste my time getting to Endwalker before I stopped telling myself "Well, it's suppose to get good at some point, right?".

Quote Originally Posted by kuhntasmash View Post
    Even though I did not go back to Warcraft and do not plan to within the foreseeable future, I oddly agree with this statement. FF14 was just not for me, just wish I didn't waste my time getting to Endwalker before I stopped telling myself "Well, it's suppose to get good at some point, right?".
    Curious what you were looking for.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

I'm enjoying the freedom to choose what I want to do in the game without feeling like I'm missing out on important power gains.

I'm also enjoying not feeling like I MUST do this content or it'll never come back again, most collaborations/events do make a return after their run.
    Last edited by AntenoraDK; 2022-06-07 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AntenoraDK View Post
    Curious about what level you got to before making that decision.

Any FFXIV player will tell you ARR is the slog and the game picks up pace once you get into Heavensward which is completely true.
    He says he got to end walker.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by AntenoraDK View Post
    Any FFXIV player will tell you ARR is the slog and the game picks up pace once you get into Heavensward which is completely true.
    Weirdly, I didn't have much of an issue with ARR - although I would say that, looking back with hindsight, it was probably the least cohesive of FF14's various story arcs, but then that makes sense as it's sort of the intro to the world and has a lot of B-plots going on before the MSQ really picks up. HW and onward are more centrally focused on the MSQ with the B-plots in support of it, more or less; whereas ARR was trying harder to create a sense of a living, dynamic world that could sometimes come across as a bit muddled.

Fortunately, I like exploration and discovering new things as part of the leveling process - although, like with WoW, it's generally only something I do once, with subsequent playthroughs favoring efficiency and speed over exploration.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Weirdly, I didn't have much of an issue with ARR - although I would say that, looking back with hindsight, it was probably the least cohesive of FF14's various story arcs, but then that makes sense as it's sort of the intro to the world and has a lot of B-plots going on before the MSQ really picks up. HW and onward are more centrally focused on the MSQ with the B-plots in support of it, more or less; whereas ARR was trying harder to create a sense of a living, dynamic world that could sometimes come across as a bit muddled.

Fortunately, I like exploration and discovering new things as part of the leveling process - although, like with WoW, it's generally only something I do once, with subsequent playthroughs favoring efficiency and speed over exploration.
    I liked ARR much better than stormblood, so yeah...

my order of preference would be shadowbrinder > endwalker > heavensward > ARR > stormblood, but I know I'm not the average player in my tastes haha

Addons frowned upon, the music, the cutscenes & story, the freedom of alts, the community, using a controller, the game feeling like a journey and not about the destination.

Basically it feels like an actually video game and is an actual RPG.
    Last edited by GratsDing45; 2022-05-13 at 05:01 PM.

Still not to "the good part of the story" according to most players when I bring it up, only around level 50 now and I assume I'll know when I'm in the next "expansion" by the dungeons I unlock showing up in that next tab on the dungeon finder.

It's pretty fun, but the highlight has been the community. Helpful and non-toxic as people said, with surprises around every corner like the (presumably bards?) musicians playing in high traffic areas. I don't even know how they do that yet but I stopped everything I was doing and listened to an orchestra play Sailor Moon, and I had a great time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Another random thing i love about the game (i moved it to the actual thread i created instead of the meta-thread): I love that as we go through the hildy quests my only job is to help the straight-guy come to terms with the idiocy going on around them. Im kind of an accomplice by this point.

I very much enjoy the game. There are pros and cons to it compared to WoW.

Diversity - WoW has this better as I can be a Paladin... but 3 different types. In FFXIV, if you're a Paladin, you're a tank. This can also be a boon for some people as some do like simplicity, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Soloability - FFXIV has this better as there are all kinds of meaningful things to do solo, especially how the duty finder works. I can queue up for everything and be meaningful. I don't have to use 3rd party programs. In WoW, I would do a couple things and then feel like there wasn't a whole lot left to do outside of run old content for transmog or mounts. Most FFXIV dungeons or raid finders are faster to get into and do not take as long. WoWs are unnecessarily bloated with trash.

Community - WoW has this better as I've played both since the beginning and I've never seen anyone in WoW get death threats for not playing meta like I've seen in FFXIV several times and from various forums I've read, others see it too. WoW has it's fair share of trolls and unhelpful people but on their forums, more likely than not, people will just answer your questions or point you in the right direction. In FFXIV, I watch new players get berated all the time simply for not understanding something yet. It's as if people just don't have the patience. From what I've read in several forums, this seems to be the general consensus.

Abilities - FFXIV has this better as they have a lot more cooler abilities (Glide being the exception...) and not quite as much ability bloat anymore.

Bosses - WoW has this better as most bosses don't feel like a square arena and many of the mechanics feel "fresh".

Accessibility - FFXIV has this better as I can play on console! Even if I played on PC, they do the controller thing WAY better than WoW's attempt. It's very awesome to be able to kick back on the couch in my gaming room, put my feet up, play this on PS5 on a large OLED TV with a 5.1 home theater. It's a whole new level of playing. Being "PC Only" when we have consoles out that are more than capable of handling a game is a very odd business decision when there is clearly a market for it.

Events - This one is a tie. If we were to go back before the Battle for Lorderon, Hallow's End was my favorite. Running around near Brill felt very "Halloween-ish". As it stands now, both games feel the same.

Story - WoW has this better even though the FFXIV story isn't bad, it's more forgettable to me than the WoW one. Many things happened in the WoW story that really irked me like the burning of Teldrassil or the aforementioned Battle for Lorderon or the death of Voljin. They left more of an "emotional" (lack of a better word) mark on me than FFXIV's story.

Crafting - FFXIV has this better as you feel like an actual crafter, not just gather and hit a button.

Forums - WoW has this better even though their forums are loaded with trolls and the moderators are extremely incompetent, the FFXIV forums are notorious for getting randomly banned, no explanation and even if you appeal, no explanation. The word is that their mods are strict but if you research, they're just random. The worst part of the WoW forums is that sometimes, I see people getting dogpiled but when you search the armory, you find out it's 1 person switching to 4 alts to agree with themselves.

Aesthetics - This one is a tie. WoW is an aged game but they've updated many things with the graphics to where it's still a good looking game even today. The detail in the small villiages like Darkshire, etc are great. FFXIV feels less dated but stiff sometimes but overall, it's a good looking game as well.

Streamlining - FFXIV has this better as I don't have to make a whole new character if I want to play something else. I can instantly swap on-the-fly.
    Being assertive is NOT trolling. It's alarming how many people (including moderators) still have not got that memo.

Just started playing summoner and good god, the spell work in this game is out of this world. Just curious if there are any other game on market that can outrival it. Maybe some of them Dark Souls games that I haven't seen it yet? Don't know, but there is that.

P.S Not a refugee but more of a FFXIV resident at this point.

Not enjoying anything, as I stopped playing it. I may resub at some point to consume some more MSQs, when enough of that accumulates. The end game had no attraction to me.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Not enjoying anything, as I stopped playing it. I may resub at some point to consume some more MSQs, when enough of that accumulates. The end game had no attraction to me.
    This thread is about what you're enjoying about the game, I think you accidentally clicked the wrong thread.