Poll: Do you want Dark Rangers?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 31 of 56 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    Fel is both fire and Shadow. Nature is part of the elemental and spirit isn't represented in-game yet.
    Hunters, at most, have enchanted arrows, which again relates to elves. They are by no means a magical class.
    Fel isn’t fire and shadow warlocks literally have a quest line where they imbue there fire magic with fel turning it green and shadow has always been it’s own thing with void lords being enslaved shadow creatures and Gul’dan making a fel shadow hybrid in HFC.

Nature and elemental magic are not the same thing shamans use both and use spirt magic for there healing as said back in the Ask the Devs QA I linked a while back.

Hunters use nature magic for various things as well as using arcane and shadow to enchant There abilities this has been canon since classic from blizzard them selfs.

I would have agreed with you if the abilities' names had a connection to a specific Wild God. But, they don't. They take on the powers of a certain animal to enhance their capabilities. You'd call that mystical in real-life. In game, it is just the animalistic power of Hunters.
    there are numerous examples of them connecting things to wild gods without using said wild gods name they have been doing this since classic with the furbolgs and Ursoc. https://www.wowhead.com/quest=13544/the-bears-blessing

That's where your error comes from. Aspects aren't arrow enchants. If they were, they'd specifically say "enchant you arrow with....". Most times it's a magic school, like Arcane, Fire or Frost.
    https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Exotic_Munitions
    Aspects enhance the Hunter, not their quiver.
    arcane shot is not worded like this, black shot is not worded like that, neither is any other enchanted shot, a one off spell from Wod has no baring on how they worded classic spells or effects and this is reflected by all other enchanted shots not being worded that either.

Yes, elves are known to enchant their arrows or use Nature magic akin to Druids.
    The domain over Beasts is a well known aspect of the Hunter. Not magical.
    You think hunters can just go up to a Druid wave there hands and mind control them? Because that’s what happens to Claw he’s bot just a beast.

Followers of Gonk are Druids. I don't know what you mean at this point.
    Any troll can follow Gonk being a Druid is not a requirement and he represents the Hunt which is brought up in Vol’Jin’s novel in mop when he teams up with a human hunter.

What magic would you categorize a Hunter becoming animalistic?
    nature the same magic trolls have always used to do the same.

You mean turning into a diamond?
    Are you talking about their heritage armor questline?
    Both, Magni has new abilities just like sylvanas and unlike dark rangers dwarfs have a quest line to tie them into his new powers for there heritage quest line.

Oh, i'm sorry. Forgot Sylvanas and the other Dark Rangers use nature magic. How foolish of me. Though, can i get an example of such please? I can't seem to recall any ocassion when they did.
    why would I bother finding you any thing? It’s fanfic with no backing I don’t need to find cannon to refute it when there is no canon that supports it and it’s just a rephrased RPG quote.

If you want it to be canon you need to find something canon that backs it up not the other way around.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2022-05-07 at 04:49 PM.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

How about having an excellent base game before adding more shit on top?

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    lol? Blizzard is already adding “shit on top” in the form of Dracthyr, while also working to make an excellent foundation of the game.

It’s possible for them to do both!

I’ll never understand people who get mad at their fellow players over this

Quote Originally Posted by wowrefugee View Post
    lol? Blizzard is already adding “shit on top” in the form of Dracthyr, while also working to make an excellent foundation of the game.

It’s possible for them to do both!

I’ll never understand people who get mad at their fellow players over this
    I'm not mad at you. I'm not mad at all.

It's a simple question. Why add more things, when the entire world is 12 years old bar the 'expansion areas'?

Bring it all up to speed. Create a modern and sustainable game, then add stuff on top. And tbh, Blizzard are the ones always crying about resource.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    Fel isn’t fire and shadow warlocks literally have a quest line where they imbue there fire magic with fel turning it green and shadow has always been it’s own thing with void lords being enslaved shadow creatures and Gul’dan making a fel shadow hybrid in HFC.
    Ever heard of Felfire?
    So, shadow is Void only?

Nature and elemental magic are not the same thing shamans use both and use spirt magic for there healing as said back in the Ask the Devs QA I linked a while back.
    Earth and air is represented as Nature magic.
    Ancestral spirits are used as a tool for the Shaman but aren't categorized under any spirit magic. Nature at best.

Hunters use nature magic for various things as well as using arcane and shadow to enchant There abilities this has been canon since classic from blizzard them selfs.
    Nature magic is the domain of Elven Rangers.
    Arcane as well, coming from the elves' Arcane expertise.
    Shadow is not truly a Hunter's domain, but that of the Dark Ranger.

there are numerous examples of them connecting things to wild gods without using said wild gods name they have been doing this since classic with the furbolgs and Ursoc. https://www.wowhead.com/quest=13544/the-bears-blessing
    Aspects aren't a blessing.
    The Hunters could be inspired by legendary Wild Gods, though.

arcane shot is not worded like this, black shot is not worded like that, neither is any other enchanted shot, a one off spell from Wod has no baring on how they worded classic spells or effects and this is reflected by all other enchanted shots not being worded that either.
    Arcane Shot
    "A hunter's deadly accuracy doesn't just seem like magic; sometimes, it is."

Wailing Arrow
    Level 60 hunter ability
    40 yd range
    15 Focus
    1 min cooldown
    2 sec cast
    Requires Ranged Weapon
    Fire an enchanted arrow, dealing (277.5% of Attack power) Shadow damage to your target and an additional (112.5% of Attack power) Shadow damage to all enemies within 8 yds of your target. Targets struck by a Wailing Arrow are silenced for 5 sec.

You think hunters can just go up to a Druid wave there hands and mind control them? Because that’s what happens to Claw he’s bot just a beast.
    https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Scare_Beast

Any troll can follow Gonk being a Druid is not a requirement and he represents the Hunt which is brought up in Vol’Jin’s novel in mop when he teams up with a human hunter.
    Vol'jin isn't a Hunter. He's a Shadow Hunter.

nature the same magic trolls have always used to do the same.
    What trolls?

Both, Magni has new abilities just like sylvanas and unlike dark rangers dwarfs have a quest line to tie them into his new powers for there heritage quest line.
    What new abilities?
    You really take the Heritage Armor questline seriously?
    That's because it is supposed to represent the Mountain King.

why would I bother finding you any thing? It’s fanfic with no backing I don’t need to find cannon to refute it when there is no canon that supports it and it’s just a rephrased RPG quote.

If you want it to be canon you need to find something canon that backs it up not the other way around.
    I did.
    They seem to have re-edited everything related to Dark Rangers. This info was common everywhere.

7+ Year Old Account
    Ever heard of Felfire?
    So, shadow is Void only?
    I'm just gonna quote the legion warlock page to skip this whole back and forth.
    the destruction warlock is well-versed in discharging a dizzying array of shadow, fel, fire, and chaos magics upon opponents that rattle souls and conflagrate bodies.

[B]Earth and air is represented as Nature magic.
    Ancestral spirits are used as a tool for the Shaman but aren't categorized under any spirit magic. Nature at best
    From Dave Kosak
    "Chi" is the Pandaren word for "Spirit," same energy that helps shaman heal, etc.

Nature magic is the domain of Elven Rangers.
    Arcane as well, coming from the elves' Arcane expertise.
    Shadow is not truly a Hunter's domain, but that of the Dark Ranger
    Yes hunter's as a class take various magic inspirations from various different races and as such are a magical spell casting class as stated by blizzard all the way back in 2004.

hunter's also now have had all of the shadow magic dark rangers have hard other then things exclusive to Sylvans.

Aspects aren't a blessing.
    The Hunters could be inspired by legendary Wild Gods, though.
    Wild god blessings are the closest thing in the lore to aspects, If they aren't those then they aren't part of the lore as nothing else come's close to there magic effects.

Arcane Shot
    "A hunter's deadly accuracy doesn't just seem like magic; sometimes, it is."

Wailing Arrow
    Level 60 hunter ability
    your proving my point arcane shot isn't worded the same way as Munitions and neither is Wailing arrow.

So that's a yes you think hunters can just wave there hands at druids and mindcontrol them.

Vol'jin isn't a Hunter. He's a Shadow Hunter.
    yes I know It's brought up in regard to a human hunter not him self.

What trolls?
    almost all trolls Look at ZG, ZA, ZD, and Zandalar.

I did.
    They seem to have re-edited everything related to Dark Rangers. This info was common everywhere.
    If there was any editing's done it was likely done years ago when they said the RPG was made non canon in 2011.

But that's besides the point, It doesn't matter how common you think the info was the info isn't canon as it's taken from the Rpg and is just rephrased on the hunter page.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2022-05-07 at 05:39 PM.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Araxie View Post
    Hear me out:

Why don't they just reskin one of the Rogue specs into a bow-centric, shadow wielding ranged spec? Reskin Sub and they can have a bunch of the shadow spells re-flavored. Boom! Half way there! More ranged is a plus, but I really don't think this aesthetic warrants an entire class.

I know some will say "But, but... I LOVE Sub! Don't you dare touch my spec!" And I would say, sure, I get it. That's valid. Hear me out once more though!

Get this...

They add a fourth spec to Rogue.
    I play rogue and DPS classes with 3 of the same type of damage dealing specs really offer nothing to the game.

Im all for giving rogues a bow and sacrificing sub. Im also for sacrificing a mage spec for another healer, a warlock spec for tank/meele spec etc. What they did with survival hunters was actually great.
    Chronomancer Club

That's a very vague request.

What's "excellent base game" for you?
    What if "adding more shit on top" is what it ould make it "excellent"?
    Why it has to be "excellent" before adding anything else? It feels like saying "hey, why don't you make your home excellent before putting moe shit in it?"

Doesn't make it a Tinker, does it?
    It depends how far the customizations go, doesn't it?

How forturnate that Dark Rangers get to be the first Guinea Pigs, right?
    Like I said, 9.2.5 will tell soon enough.

And it didn't last, did it?
    Because no matter how much you force a square into a circle, it's not going to fit.
    What are you talking about? It lasted at least 3 expansions. Warlocks with Metamorphosis for 7.5 years.

So, i should expect both Rogues and Hunters getting Dark Ranger customizations?
    That's really up to you. It's your choice to turn speculation into expectation, not mine.

Harvest-Witches and Sunwalkers were always Druids and Paladins. Do you have any abilities to differentiate them from these classes?
    Classes aren't defined by abilities.

Never said Farstriders are not Hunters. elven Rangers are in touch with the wilds, which is represented through the Hunter class. Again, this is where your confusion comes from. Rangers and Dark Rangers are not the same being. It's like saying Knights and Death Knights are as one. While Rangers retain their connection with the wilds, Dark Rangers have been cut off from it and have developed a new set of abilities. You could have saved us so much if you knew it from the beginning.
    Yes, and if the only real difference between Rangers and Dark Rangers is the wilderness connection, then dark magic customization options cover for that.

That has been the whole point of my argument. The lore literally only defines minor differences, namely in the 'Dark' theme. Just like Beastmasters have an overall theme of 'Beasts' that is absent from Rangers, while the Hunter class as a whole is able to cover both archetypes. If they have customization options for Dark magic, then in theory, they could also represent Dark Rangers. And that's pretty much what Blizzard themselves have been implying, really.

The Official Twitter Interview that had Danuser answering questions about Dark Ranger customizations would have been a question that was picked and vetted by Blizzard themselves to be asked. I wouldn't consider it a random occurance.

As much as i like to throw this in Teriz's face, the profession can't really represent the Tinker. It's as much a Warlock roleplaying a Demon Hunter.
    The thing is, Tinker doesn't exist as a class in WoW. It never has.

What we have in Warcraft 3 is a Tinker Hero. Yet Heroes aren't just Classes. They could be Classes, but they could also be Races (Pit Lord, Crypt Lord, Keeper of the Grove), and they could also be Professions. We already have this with the Alchemist being a Profession title.

Well, BfA didn't have a 8.3.5, so we don't have much to go on. What can a last X.5 add other than features relating to the next expansion? It's already the end of the expansion, there's no reason to fix things relating to the expansion.
    Not every expansion gets a X.5 patch that seamlessly transition into the next expansion.

WoD and BFA didn't get these at all. Honestly, I'm not sure why you're expecting it to be 'usual' when the Legion story transitioning into BFA was merely circumstantial. There was no real Pre-Shadowlands content at the end of BFA.

How many Dark Rangers dual-wield daggers\swords? Lots.
    And, if you've seen Reckoning, it's definitely part of their toolkit.
    Yeah and Beastmasters use dual wield axes. Would you consider the Hunter not representing the Beastmaster because it currently can not? You seem to waive that pretty easily when I bring it up, saying Hunters used to be able to wield axes. Yet you seem to glaze over the fact that Hunters could also wield daggers in Vanilla.

What? What do you mean? They're there. They play a role. They are considered the class. You're just cherrypicking at this point.
    So you consider the Night Elf Priest of the Moon to be official Paladins? Right now?

I guess we don't need a Priestess of the Moon class now. You have your answer.

Why are you telling me that? I already know this. Rexxar is a Beastmaster. Farstriders are Rangers.
    Glad you admit Dark Rangers are not officially Hunters. With this, we can end the conversation, honestly.
    That's the whole point of bringing up 9.2.5.

This seems to hint at the very questline that could bridge the lore and make it official. Rexxar and Farstriders are in the same boat, where they literally were not Hunters until Blizzard added quests that directly regarded them as Hunters. And there's only been like one quest each that made it official.

They don't very often regard other titles by Player Class names. Like they rarely if ever actually refer to a Sunwalker character as a 'Paladin', they tend to stick to the Sunwalker title.

They had plans to make Demon Hunters in TBC.
    Shows you just how temporary items and abilities like these are supposed to fulfill the fantasy, for the meantime.
    They had plans to make Demon Hunters before TBC, but had no intent by the time TBC came out. That is what lead to them simply pawning off their iconic weaponry and armor. They had no intent to make them a class by the time Black Temple was being designed.

Come on... even the Blizzard devs know this is wrong. They let him have his fun and that's it. At some point, the Demon Hunter was going to show up because it was planned as far back as TBC - before Warlocks got their abilities (in wrath).
    Except the whole point is that plans change.

Like, with what we know of the Runemaster having its aspects absorbed into the Death Knight, and its general gameplay and themes being reimagined as the Monk, would you say that Blizzard still plans on a Runemaster because it was planned back in Classic and Wrath? Plans change.

I can point out the fact that Runemaster was a top pick internally among the devs, being on the shortlist for both Vanilla WoW and Wrath of the Lich King. But to use that as an argument for Runemasters today would be extremely naive and ignorant of how WoW has progressed since then.

As I said many times before, the likelyhood of classes changes as we are informed of how WoW progresses. We can't just assume that the Devs are saving every concept to be made into a new playable Race or Class when they're actively tapping into those very concepts as customization options for existing classes and races.

Where will this end? Will the talent tree be full of talents that are meant to represent other classes? Think of all the archetypes the Priest is supposed to fill: Priestesses of the Moon, Seers, Witch Doctors, Medics, Tidesages, etc etc... each and every one of them gets at least 4-5 talents for representation purposes. How much talents does that leave you for the general Priest class?
    It wouldn't have to end any more than 'Glyphs' and 'Transmogs' need to end. Customizations are infinite, that is the point.

For my particular Hero Talents concept, it would be more of a supplementary Talent tree that may be exclusive to certain Race/Class comboes.

So for example, every Class gets a 'Hero Talent Tree' option of 6-8 new Talent options. In this concept, you get 10 new Talent points to distribute, which you can choose to spend in Hero, Class and Spec Talent Trees equally. Hero Talents are not mandatory, they are more meant to be an option set of customization options that can alter gameplay and provide Player Power. Balance-wise, it would be equivalent in power if you literally had 10 extra Talent points to spend in an existing Class/Spec. Hero Talents are not more powerful than regular Talents, in this respect; they would be weighed closely to mid-tier Talents power; like if you had maxed out an entire Talent tree and were spending the 10 extra points in the middle tier of another Tree.

Every class gets a direct general "Hero" attribution; Druid accesses 'Arch Druid' Talents, Mage accesses 'Archmage', Shaman accesses 'Farseer', etc. These would be open to all races.

For certain Race/Class combinations, they could implement a CHOICE to pick a different Hero option. So if you were a Blood Elf Mage, you would have a choice between picking the Archmage Talent Tree that everyone has access to, or the exclusive Blood Mage Talent Tree which will open up to those exclusive customization and gameplay options. And as I said above, the concept is that Hero Talent Trees are completely optional.

Example of Archmage talents
    Brilliance: Provides a +Spellcrit Aura for party and raid
    Arcane Alacrity: All Spells can be cast or channeled while moving with 50% decrease movement speed
    Conjuror: Allows you to summon multiple Water Elementals at a time.

Example of Blood Mage talents
    Pyromancy: Changes your Frost abilities to Fire spells. Prerequisite for all other Talent options, does not itself provide any Power boost.
    Verdant Spheres: Allows you to "Empower" specific Fire and Arcane abilities; the same mechanic Evokers have
    Gravity Lapse: New Ability, CC enemies with an Arcane cyclone

With just 3 example talents, I've managed to represent Blood Mages in a way that both works for lore and gameplay. It remains exclusive as a Blood Elf option, it provides the necessary gameplay changes without requiring a new class.

My concept of Hero Talent Trees is designed to be completely optional. The idea is to weigh them appropriately among other mid-late tier Class talents since the assumption is that you would be spending these extra points after you've already maxed out one of your Class or Spec talent trees. You shouldn't feel like you're forced into becoming an Archmage or a Blood Mage and you can just take those extra 10 Talent points and spend them in the regular Class and Spec trees if you wish to do that instead. Hero Talents would be treated as elaborate gameplay customization options that provide an appropriate level of power as you would if you had 10 extra talent points to spend for any Class/Spec.

Scroll up. You literally said Dark Rangers aren't officially hunters a few comments ago. Now you say that they are? Make up you mind.
    Darkfallen Hunters (yes, this is what they are since they have joined the Unseen Path) are regarded as Dark Rangers. Yet there is no direct questline or lore that officially calls them Hunters, even though they are Hunters. It's the same wavy technicality that gets in the way of Sorcerers being Mages and also not being Mages. We know Sorcerers and Sorceresses exist in Warcraft (Sorceress was literally a unit in WC3) while the term is rarely used in WoW. Yet it is basically another term for the Mage class, even if there is no direct lore ever regarding a Mage as a Sorcerer or vice versa.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-05-07 at 07:31 PM.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    I doubt they would go with 4th spec, because Dark Ranger is still very much tied to certain races. It makes no sense to suddenly open that up to every possible living race in the game, especially if their goal is to eventually have all race/class comboes accessible.

Being a specific customization makes more sense since it can be exclusively for Forsaken or Darkfallen, and you don't get the weirdness of having Gnome and Tauren Dark Rangers.

As a racial customization, it would absolutely leave plenty of room for Troll Shadow Hunters.
    You are correct. But I am not getting the feeling people want a "racial customization", but something actually gameplay-changing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghanir View Post
    You are correct. But I am not getting the feeling people want a "racial customization", but something actually gameplay-changing.
    You can check out my ideas for Hero Talents in the post right above.

Not what I'd expect Blizzard to do, but I think it could be an interesting way of providing customization that has new gameplay and properly represent a new class archetype without making entirely new classes for them.

This would allow certain races and classes to become Blademasters or Spellbreakers or Wardens through existing classes, while keeping certain races exclusive so you don't have to open up to having Gnome Shadow Hunters and Tauren Wardens.

Quote Originally Posted by pacotaco View Post
    That's a very vague request.

What's "excellent base game" for you?
    What if "adding more shit on top" is what it ould make it "excellent"?
    Why it has to be "excellent" before adding anything else? It feels like saying "hey, why don't you make your home excellent before putting moe shit in it?"
    Revamp the world. Make the continents of Azeroth relevant and not just a ‘window in time’.

Revamp the world. Make the continents of Azeroth relevant and not just a ‘window in time’.
    I don't think you realize that Blizzard's standards for zones have gone up significantly since Cata.

Revamping all of EK and Kalimdor is not something they can do in one expansion without astronomical development time. And without "extra shit on top" players would get frustrated very quickly.

Every single zone would need voice acting, cutscenes, entirely new questlines, many would need a shit ton of new assets if there's nothing existing they can re-use, tons of monster models would need to be made, every dungeon would have to be overhauled graphically with new bosses and quests, and so on and so forth. Rares, treasures, new items, for each zone, new armor, etc

There's no way for them to do it in a satisfactory, high quality way in a timely manner.
    Last edited by wowrefugee; 2022-05-07 at 07:58 PM.

Sadly with Legion, Blizzard did lump Dark Rangers and the Farstriders in with the Hunter Order Hall, making them effectively Hunters. I never really agreed with their decision, but it's pretty much part of the lore now.
    And Blizzard also technically "lumped together" the paladins and priests, considering the priest order heavily depend on the paladin order (and I believe also vice-versa) on their Order Hall campaign.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    And Blizzard also technically "lumped together" the paladins and priests, considering the priest order heavily depend on the paladin order (and I believe also vice-versa) on their Order Hall campaign.
    No idea what the priest order hall campaign covers but the paladin one covers Protecting the priest because they can’t do it them selfs so I’m not quite sure that counts as lumping them together.

Pretty sure the hunter campaign is the same thing actually but instead of protecting the priest you are protecting the mage order hall because they can’t deal with some really magic resistant fel hunters.

Yes but as you admit, that is merely a technicality, not lore suggestion that they are the same. They are separate orders and one did not join the other nor did they merge.

3+ Year Old Account
    You can check out my ideas for Hero Talents in the post right above.

Not what I'd expect Blizzard to do, but I think it could be an interesting way of providing customization that has new gameplay and properly represent a new class archetype without making entirely new classes for them.

This would allow certain races and classes to become Blademasters or Spellbreakers or Wardens through existing classes, while keeping certain races exclusive so you don't have to open up to having Gnome Shadow Hunters and Tauren Wardens.
    Although I won't say Blizz refuse to steer away from the formula I doubt they'd introduce something like a Dark Ranger through anything but a 4th spec or a class.

Yes but as you admit, that is merely a technicality, not lore suggestion that they are the same. They are separate orders and one did not join the other nor did they merge.
    But the point here is that I can argue that they were separate orders and "did not merge" because both paladins and priests were already previously established classes prior to Legion, and that if we had only one of those two classes but not the other at the time, it's quite likely we would see the same situation with the DRs and hunters in Legion, with priests joining the paladin's order hall, or vice-versa, depending on which of the two classes we had and which one we didn't.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    No idea what the priest order hall campaign covers but the paladin one covers Protecting the priest because they can’t do it them selfs so I’m not quite sure that counts as lumping them together.

Pretty sure the hunter campaign is the same thing actually but instead of protecting the priest you are protecting the mage order hall because they can’t deal with some really magic resistant fel hunters.
    If memory serves-- as it's been years-- I recall that the priests needed the paladins' help in part of their campaign quest chain story. For specifically what, I can't remember for sure.

But the point here is that I can argue that they were separate orders and "did not merge" because both paladins and priests were already previously established classes prior to Legion, and that if we had only one of those two classes but not the other at the time, it's quite likely we would see the same situation with the DRs and hunters in Legion, with priests joining the paladin's order hall, or vice-versa, depending on which of the two classes we had and which one we didn't.
    When lore is concerned, nothing has to be consistent with how Blizzard chooses to represent Titles through gameplay.

Whether they merge concepts or not is really a matter of how gameplay chooses to represent the lore. In the lore, effectively every magic spellcaster can be considered the same thing. Lorewise, there is really nothing stopping a 'Druid' from learning to become a 'Mage' and then switch their practices to become a 'Warlock/Warrior'. Because that's exactly how the Lore describe's Illidan's journey as a character. He starts learning Druidism alongside his brother, then becomes a renowned Sorcerer, only to become a full fledged Demon Hunter. Or Thrall starts as a Warrior who becomes a Shaman. Or Anduin is a Priest with Paladin qualities who chooses to remain a Priest.

If WoW were designed to represent classes any other way, we could literally look at it from D&D style Multiclassing or Prestige classes, which would more appropriately
    represent certain niche concepts like Blademaster (Monk/Rogue/Warrior) or Priestess of the Moon (Balance Druid/Hunter/Priest). WoW simply has a limited Class system that is ill fit to represent niche concepts, so instead Blizzard has to invent 'Hero Classes' or divide Classes into Specializations. It's oddly balanced out and ill defined, considering a Warlock in lore is literally a Shaman or Mage who chooses to use Fel magic, or a Paladin is literally a Priest or Warrior that goes through Holy or Martial combat training. WoW has chosen to represent the lore in a very specific way that is not consistent to the lore as a whole.

And with Blizzard choosing to place Dark Rangers into the Unseen Path, they have made a direct connection between Dark Rangers, Rangers and Hunters. They are officially made to be synonymous. They shouldn't be, but because of how their lore is directly tied to their gameplay design, they have made a direct connection between Dark Rangers, Farstriders and the Hunter class.

As of right now, the same can be argued of Tinker and Engineer, where they are literally synonymous, until Blizzard chooses to make any further distinction in the lore or through specific gameplay definitions. Just like 'Warrior' is a broad term used for any melee combatant, but is also a Gameplay definition of a specific Player Class; or how Necromancer is a catchall for any spellcaster who uses Necromancy while also being a specific Non-Player Class. Lore doesn't really make a distinction between any of these terms, because they're ultimately bound to gameplay definitions.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-05-07 at 10:38 PM.

When lore is concerned, nothing has to be consistent with how Blizzard chooses to represent Titles through gameplay.
    This isn't about lore, though. This is about how the priest and paladin classes were already established in the game when Blizzard released the Legion expansion, which is why it wouldn't make much sense, design-wise, to have every playable class in the game have their own exclusive Order Hall and everything that it entails, while priests and paladins shared (almost) everything.

But other concepts, such as dark rangers, bards, blademasters, etc, all 'join' the existing classes' order halls because they didn't have a playable class of their own at the time.