Quote Originally Posted by tumbleweed010 View Post
    Demon Hunters have all the non-tier leather drops coded to appear differently on them vs. other leather wearers. Blizzard could add a similar setup for Dracthyr and have all non-tier Dragonflight mail chests only show the center piece(s).

Saying a tabard is acceptable but a chest piece isn't is asinine because the precedent is already there to customize chest pieces specifically based on a prior hero class.
    This comparison doesn't really work, though.

That DH thing was Legion-only, and even then they were still able to show chest pieces from previous and new expansions.

Your solution would end up causing one of two things. They can only show non-tier Dragonflight mail chests that only show center pieces, so

1) they can only ever show chest armor from this expansion that has been edited for them and players wonder why other chest pieces arent showing up

2) you give the artists infinitely more work going forward as they have to adjust the armor every time for Dracthyr

Demon Hunters have all the non-tier leather drops coded to appear differently on them vs. other leather wearers. Blizzard could add a similar setup for Dracthyr and have all non-tier Dragonflight mail chests only show the center piece(s).
    Demon Hunters have some non-tier leather drops from Legion changed to an altered form. Adding a "similar setup" isn't really an option, since already you're talking about some weird modified system where in Dracthyr can transmog only a half a dozen mail chest pieces out of the hundreds in the game (Demon Hunters can still equip all the non-modified leather chests).
    Saying a tabard is acceptable but a chest piece isn't is asinine because the precedent is already there to customize chest pieces specifically based on a prior hero class.
    It's not, because as above, you're comparing two thoroughly different situations. Demon Hunters have access to all leather transmog, they just designed a handful of Legion leather pieces to instead have parts cut out to give them more transmog options that showed tattoos prior to the chest-hiding option. What you're asking for is instead that Dracthyr's transmog restriction be overwritten so that they can only transmog that handful of modified pieces.

Additionally, as mentioned in the post you quoted, tabards and chest pieces are not the same thing. They are allowing this:

Note that this is a very modified version of the tabard, because of the additional geometry issues involved in their back, shoulders, tail, etc.

So the handful of chest modified chest transmogs also have to do this, but additionally are just chest pieces so they don't have the added effect of the long front. Basically you're asking for:

So I can see why--instead of making a bunch of modifications to give them a few dumb looking front-of-tanktop chest pieces (because chests is a slot that looks weird in isolation) while also making a really frustrating feeling transmog where you click "chest" and just see hundreds of previous armor pieces greyed out with the handful of weird modified, strapped-on chest plates--they just felt it was easier to disallow chest transmog and opt for tabards, which conveniently work as just strapped-on flare, compatible with all previously released ones.

I think if you were going to push for anything, it shouldn't be chest pieces, it should be for worgen-style modified boots on the lower leg. Because there's no way chest pieces don't just look real stupid when the character can't put on pants, but from all the Dracthyr we've seen so far, the leg past the knee seems to be consistent geometry, and should work with the top-of-boot style worgen use.

In fact, this is one of the things I'd strongly recommend people actually start asking for instead of significantly less realistic things like "allow all transmog". You could probably get them to do it pretty easily.
    Last edited by Hitei; 2022-05-09 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wowrefugee View Post
    This comparison doesn't really work, though.

That DH thing was Legion-only, and even then they were still able to show chest pieces from previous and new expansions.
    But only the Legion chest pieces had the special appearance only for Demon Hunters. This wouldn't be more work because it'd be a simple flag similar to the Legion ones: if (chest from Dragonflight) -> show special appearance; else -> hide chest.

1) they can only ever show chest armor from this expansion that has been edited for them and players wonder why other chest pieces arent showing up
    People aren't actively asking why only Legion leather gear has a special appearance but none of the others for Demon Hunters. This wouldn't happen as much as you're thinking it will.

2) you give the artists infinitely more work going forward as they have to adjust the armor every time for Dracthyr
    It wouldn't be more work because it'd work outside of Dragonflight because it'd have the same structure as DH, just more restrictive. In the grand scheme of an expansion with a new hero class, adding flags to allow gear from that expansion to properly display is a small investment with a huge upside since it allows more customization, which is supposed to be the "big thing" for Dracthyr Evokers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post

Additionally, as mentioned in the post you quoted, tabards and chest pieces are not the same thing. They are allowing this:
    This definitely puts it into perspective more. There's the images that they released that look like chest pieces on them, but looking at it now, it might be tabards.

I don't think allowing full transmog is a smart idea as it wouldn't mesh well at all with all the 3d parts on the model, but some small changes, like options for thicker arms/legs/neck and a stronger jawline to match current WoW dragon styles, along with some worgen style boots/wrist additions, would be a great addition.
    Last edited by tumbleweed010; 2022-05-09 at 12:29 AM.

People aren't actively asking why only Legion leather gear has a special appearance but none of the others for Demon Hunters. This wouldn't happen as much as you're thinking it will.
    People don't ask this because Demon Hunters can still use every other unmodified leather chest piece in the game.

Ah yes, the infamous "just flip a switch" armchair dev take.

The post below mine is much better written and gets my points across + more way more succintly.

Ah yes, the infamous "just flip a switch" armchair dev take.
    I'm not a game developer so it's a software developer take. The whole point of creating pieces of software is to have as much of the repeatedly used stuff being as generic as possible for reasons exactly like this. I highly doubt Blizzard's systems are still so ingrained that every piece of gear is generated as a singular piece that has 0 flags/switches to control individual aspects of gear.

Half the software I write is with the intention of interchangeable parts. I can't comment on game development, but I'd be very surprised if chests weren't structured as [TORSO, LEFT ARM, RIGHT ARM, FLAG (to hide/alter for DH)]
    Last edited by tumbleweed010; 2022-05-09 at 12:51 AM.

So the handful of chest modified chest transmogs also have to do this, but additionally are just chest pieces so they don't have the added effect of the long front. Basically you're asking for:

Which wouldn't look half bad when properly rendered in-game and connected to shoulders above and a belt below. They could go with a bit of a Greek hoplite feel to their armor: shoulders, breastplate without arm covering, and belt forming a single continuous piece of torso armor. Then add some shin guards from boots, bracers around the forearms, and a helm to complete the look. That would be an acceptable compromise, and the Greek style would fit right in with all the titan stuff and their Greek influences.
    Last edited by FossilFree; 2022-05-09 at 03:01 AM.

I'm not a game developer so it's a software developer take. The whole point of creating pieces of software is to have as much of the repeatedly used stuff being as generic as possible for reasons exactly like this. I highly doubt Blizzard's systems are still so ingrained that every piece of gear is generated as a singular piece that has 0 flags/switches to control individual aspects of gear.

Half the software I write is with the intention of interchangeable parts. I can't comment on game development, but I'd be very surprised if chests weren't structured as [TORSO, LEFT ARM, RIGHT ARM, FLAG (to hide/alter for DH)]
    The problem comes when it isn't just software. Armour is also an art resource, and having to make every chest piece so you can do that is a lot of extra work. Pretty much every game developer has an art bottleneck. Do the math.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    The problem comes when it isn't just software. Armour is also an art resource, and having to make every chest piece so you can do that is a lot of extra work. Pretty much every game developer has an art bottleneck. Do the math.
    Blizzard did allow us to transmog each shoulder seperately in 9.1 so it is clear they are willing to put in some work to make things a little more modular. Expanding that would require work but it may be something Blizzard is fine with or something that can be a side project or something. It does seem like it would be more complicated to make sure all armor still looks right then hiding one shoulder.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    At the very least, it can work with new gear they design going forward. Just disable pre-Dragonflight armor initially, then go back over time and make more available. Their tier sets should always show in dragon form too, as those are made specifically for them. If they can't put in that bit of effort for evoker sets, then I mean, what would you call that? A half-finished product?

Quote Originally Posted by FossilFree View Post
    At the very least, it can work with new gear they design going forward. Just disable pre-Dragonflight armor initially, then go back over time and make more available. Their tier sets should always show in dragon form too, as those are made specifically for them. If they can't put in that bit of effort for evoker sets, then I mean, what would you call that? A half-finished product?
    I'd call that a good sense of priorities. Better to spend that art team time on anything else besides dumb looking half-a-tank-top alternate chest pieces. I'd rather they put the art team time into more customization options for Dracthyr than making half-shirts work for them.

It's because the geometry for those sections is variable as part of the customization.
    I just want to thank you for taking the time to point out all this stuff. I didn't notice half of it, but now I'm even more excited to see just how extensive the customization options for dracthyr are going to be.

Druids spend all their time in druid form and they get customization for their form once in a blue moon. Maybe evokers will get something similar.

I still think they should be able to wear tier though.

They most likely will be...but in their visage form.

I wanted to speculate on what kind of announcement did they plan on tickling our hype balls with this week. Perhaps the fabled Talent Tree preview.

But I had a question about something I hadn't thought of before: Is the Calia Menethil PTR quest actually encrypted or is it just unfinished? A number of people used the word "encrypted" but it looks like its just a bunch of assets & phasing that don't connect to a quest that's in the ptr. But if it is encrypted that would mean either its not intended to be playable until the patch is already live & they activate it, which would be weird because it's not part of a chain; as in there's no preceding quest to "spoil": or they did something they've never done before and encrypted a quest until they make some sort of announcement about it.

Didn't they say they were also planning a blog post that goes more in depth intpo Dracthyr customization options? Hopefully we get that sooner rather than later

Quote Originally Posted by Throren View Post
    Didn't they say they were also planning a blog post that goes more in depth intpo Dracthyr customization options? Hopefully we get that sooner rather than later
    I'm hoping it's this week, they also said they wanted to show off some of the talents, and both of those are supposed to be posted before the Alpha starts, which could be this month, so I'm hoping we get both soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ersula View Post
    I wanted to speculate on what kind of announcement did they plan on tickling our hype balls with this week. Perhaps the fabled Talent Tree preview.

But I had a question about something I hadn't thought of before: Is the Calia Menethil PTR quest actually encrypted or is it just unfinished? A number of people used the word "encrypted" but it looks like its just a bunch of assets & phasing that don't connect to a quest that's in the ptr. But if it is encrypted that would mean either its not intended to be playable until the patch is already live & they activate it, which would be weird because it's not part of a chain; as in there's no preceding quest to "spoil": or they did something they've never done before and encrypted a quest until they make some sort of announcement about it.
    Encrypted.

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...1#post53755051

Marlamin talks about how they messed up some of the encryption which is why we even know it's Calia and Tirisfal to begin with.

I think your definition of "spoil" is getting in the way again. It's not weird at all to have a quest meant to be a surprise when it hits live. They've already said they want to try and encrypt notable story-related stuff that doesn't need testing.
    Last edited by wowrefugee; 2022-05-09 at 07:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ersula View Post

If it was encrypted, we could read no texts from it.

So it is unfinished.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    If it was encrypted, we could read no texts from it.

So it is unfinished.
    Read the post I linked above.