Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Farora View Post
    Worked great in 2019 too. SoM seems dead.
    2019 was successful because it was the only iteration of Classic available. SoM was a "failure" (note: it did not fail, it just isn't crazy popular) because it launched simultaneously with TBC, which is just a better game than Vanilla for most players.

Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    arent the Classic servers still up with all content available?

This. The 2019 version still exists. Not sure the point of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    This. The 2019 version still exists. Not sure the point of this thread.
    because for classic players it's not about the fact there is a server with Vanilla all the way to naxx that they can actually just get some people and level and farm to their hearts content.

It's about a big new server where everyone is leveling at the same time for all of 1 week and THEN half the folks leaving while they have a new raiding guild to do everything all over again

unfortunately with wow and most mmos reliving the game isn't as simple as just clicking "New Game" you gotta have a bunch of other people want to do it too.

Seasons of Mastery is for people who want to play Classic again and again - that crowd exists, and they go there. Wanting a complete re-release of 2019 Classic is unrealistic because it still exists.

That's why it was such a big deal in the first place, private servers were no longer needed to get a (relatively) authentic experience.

Worked great in 2019 too. SoM seems dead.
    Here's the issue you are having problem understanding: SoM is not dead because it is bad. It is dead because people don't want to do classic again. They did two years of it and were more than ready to move on to BC. Most people don't want to redo classic. Maybe if there was a 10-15 year break like the time between original WoW and classic servers. It is way too soon for a major interest in doing Classic again, especially when people would rather do classic BC, classic Wrath, etc.

Season of Mastery was a good idea, but it's just too soon.

If I was Blizzard, I would've waited till wrath classic had run it's course and people were foaming at the mouth wondering what comes next for classic. Vanilla would be far enough out of people's minds that it would feel fresh, provide that reset and mix up the meta

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Therougetitan View Post
    Here's the issue you are having problem understanding: SoM is not dead because it is bad. It is dead because people don't want to do classic again. They did two years of it and were more than ready to move on to BC. Most people don't want to redo classic. Maybe if there was a 10-15 year break like the time between original WoW and classic servers. It is way too soon for a major interest in doing Classic again, especially when people would rather do classic BC, classic Wrath, etc.
    I wouldn't say they don't want to do classic again, it's just they don't want to do classic again right now

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    It's about a big new server where everyone is leveling at the same time for all of 1 week and THEN half the folks leaving while they have a new raiding guild to do everything all over again
    how many times can you really do this before its becoming just repetitive?

There will never be a Classic release like 2019 ever again. That launch was hyped to the moon and back, you'll never see that for a "re-re-release".

One could argue World of Warcraft as a franchise will likely never see hype at those levels again.

Never underestimate the brain rot of those who been playing the same MMO for over a decade.
    Last edited by Shuttle; 2022-05-09 at 05:56 AM.
    Shuttle of Illidan

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Realistically if the 2019 version was replaced with SoM I think it likely would've been more popular to begin with, or equally as popular at the very least.

The only issue with SoM is that the timing is off and it's far too soon after we literally played Classic WoW for 2 years. Had they waited a bit longer (or went a bit crazier with the changes in it) I bet it would've been far better received. AFAIK it was pretty popular all things considered for the first month or so, but that's mostly because people used it as a vessel for something as simple as getting to 60 via hardcore.

I also think that people really undersell the 'fresh' feeling of a new server, new season or new patch. There's a reason people come back for every major expansion or patch. The amount of players who stick around beyond the leveling experience and stick with the game for it's entirety isn't nearly as big as people think. I doubt my experience in 2019 Classic WoW until the end is much different than a lot of other people. Loads of people at the start, a decent 20-25 consistent players and then a half a dozen who would come back for every patch, raid for a month and never be heard from again until the next patch. Essentially a cycle of finding ~10 new players every 5-6 months.

The 2019 release of Vanilla Classic was a huge success and then for some reason Blizzard decided to make it much worse with Seasons of Mastery.

What are the odds of the 2019 Classic releasing again? -Without any changes- because Blizzard has proven once again they can only fuck things up.
    Tbh, they should always have classic era servers up were theres nothing but the base game as it was. This server should also "restart" every 1,5-2 years. instead of just having it there with latest patch(Naxx).

Nothing more to it than that. Classic era server on a 2 year cycle.

That way people can always jump in and experience classic as it once was if they choose so. Shouldnt require to many servers either anyway.

Meanwhile, BLizzard can have a bit of fun on the SoM servers. Try different & new ideas and see what sticks.

But tbh, the SoM was probably a bit to early. People had just come off a 2 year cycle with classic. Takes something extra to jump onto a new one while BC also launched.

- - - Updated - - -

It depends. People played classic alot when it launched. SoM was doomed to fail cause it was to soon. Give people some time and they will most likely come back cause theres something about this version of wow that just sticks with alot of MMORPG players.

I think they'll focus on seasonal servers. Season of Mastery came out way too soon, but I expect others will come out for Classic and The Burning Crusade.

I imagine it'll include bigger changes while still retaining their original feel of the game.

I expect they won't rush into Season of Mastery for TBC simply because Wrath is going to be almost everyone's focus.

arent the Classic servers still up with all content available?
    Yes, theres classic era servers. Its quite a weird feeling logging in there and play. You can almost feel that you are pretty much alone in the whole of EK/K.

Classic had a huge hype around it and also got a boost from covid, if it released again with no changes it would flop 100%. SoM flopped not because of changes but because it was released too soon after classic ended.

Quote Originally Posted by Khain View Post
    Classic had a huge hype around it and also got a boost from covid, if it released again with no changes it would flop 100%. SoM flopped not because of changes but because it was released too soon after classic ended.
    Classic with no changes doesnt need to be a success. It needs to be 1-3 servers, thats it. It wont cost them much to keep these servers alive and there will be ppl playing it. That otherwise probably wouldnt have a sub.

At the same time, they should restart these servers every 2 year or so. Instead of just having classic era servers sit on last patch.

People are as delusional as it gets.

There is absolutely no way a classic relaunch will be anywhere near as popular as 2019 relaunch for many reasons:
    - Many people missed the boat in 2004-2006 and wanted to experience it. Now that is done.
    - Myths of difficulty have been debunked, so that crowd will not be doing it again.
    - Thr classic wb meta was bullshit and many will not want to go through it again.

Even if they didn't release tbc and even if they did classic fresh, only a few that played classic would have jumped back on it. There is just no way all those people will play classic for all eternity.

It's less repetitive its more really wanting that NEW MMO EXPERIENCE even if its an old one. There is something to coming into an MMO when its new and everyone's on the same footing more or less. You make a new character in an evergreen vanilla server you're basically alone trying to level hoping one of the few guilds sitting around is there to maybe push you through the raids its not like you have an itch to replay Final Fantasy 7 or something and just hit "New Game'

Me personally don't care but I understand where people are coming from..

UNFORTUNATELY this also relies on a large likeminded community
    Last edited by Mysterymask; 2022-05-09 at 07:54 AM.

SoM is better than original Classic in almost every way. Was just released waaay too soon. Should've been hinted at when Classic Wotlk was on its last legs. I think at least a few more people could see themselves going back to Vanilla Classic after a few months of ICC. SoM could've filled the gap between Classic Wotlk and a potential Classic+. I get why they released it tho. Some people just want Classic Vanilla. SoM is small but not dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilookfly View Post
    SoM is better than original Classic in almost every way. Was just released waaay too soon. Should've been hinted at when Classic Wotlk was on its last legs. I think at least a few more people could see themselves going back to Vanilla Classic after a few months of ICC. SoM could've filled the gap between Classic Wotlk and a potential Classic+. I get why they released it tho. Some people just want Classic Vanilla. SoM is small but not dead.
    SOM is worse in pretty much ever way..........The only thing that can save classic long term is classic vanilla+ for real.

TBC classic and Wotlk classic is just a waiting room for a dying game.

3+ Year Old Account
    Some people here arguing that Classic Servers are still up aren't getting the point.
    Some people want to relive the 2019 version of Classic. A version that starts in phase 1 and progresses to phase 6 over the course of roughly 2 years.
    We all know that there are servers for vanilla still up and runnin' but first of all they're pretty dead, and second they are set in phase 6 already.

On topic about seeing that again it'll prob. not happen (or at least not in any timely fashion) because Blizz is experimenting with SoM currently and they will most likely try several different changes before they go out and say they'll release a no-changes version again.
    SoM would prob. have been a better success if they waited a bit aswell, like others have said. Something like first iteration of SoM during the lull of TBC, and then they can make a decision if they wanna try a different iteration of SoM or do another #nochanges vanilla set during the lull of WotLK.
    It is unlikely that having a 2nd version of SoM during the middle of WotLK and going into Classic+ when WotLK ends would end up doing well since they're both vanilla and would be overlapping with one another.
    Last edited by Ghanir; 2022-05-09 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundering View Post
    SOM is worse in pretty much ever way..........The only thing that can save classic long term is classic vanilla+ for real.

TBC classic and Wotlk classic is just a waiting room for a dying game.
    SoM had no scuffed batching, better raids, better leveling and better content pasing. How is it worse?