Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Objectively, they are. Death Knight, Demon Hunter, and Evoker are all much more thematically focused than the regular classes. Blizzard hasn't made the Hero Class designation for no reason. It indicates a tighter thematic focus than standard classes. To deny this distinction just because it gets in the way of your preferences is dishonest.
    I could be misremembering, but didn`t they at some point say that the Hero class distinction just meant that these classes started at a higher level?

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dejiko View Post
    I could be misremembering, but didn`t they at some point say that the Hero class distinction just meant that these classes started at a higher level?
    Although it could seem like that for gameplay purposes all hero-classes are a very distinct type of hero in comparison to a Warrior or a Hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    Drakthyr race abilities ARE the Evoker abilities. They are completly connected.
    They don't choose to be evokers. They are evokers.
    You're misinterpreting things. Evoker as a class is bound to Dracthyr as a race because of their physical traits (wings, ability to breathe fire, claws etc).

That said, Blizzard have mentioned in interviews that they're open to letting Dracthyr become other classes eventually, once they've had time to intermingle with the other races.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

Honestly I would have rather gotten another normal race and normal class like pandaren/monk rather than more super restricted stuff like this.

At the very least I hope they open up Dracthyr to other classes, it's dumb to add a new race and then say 'they can only be this!'

And don't come at me with 'but the lore' they wrote the lore to be a specific way for this, they weren't backed into a corner where they HAD to do it this way, they CHOSE to design them this way.

7+ Year Old Account
    Demon Hunter is a hero class. Evoker is a hero class. Why are you confused that their setups are similar?
    Demon hunter is not a race. why are you confused that they are selling a class as a race to say worked more?

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Demon hunter is not a race. why are you confused that they are selling a class as a race to say worked more?
    Evoker isn't a race either.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Personally I'm surprised they didn't just open it up to all races and that's the race you transform into. When you use your abilities, you become your dragon form which is like a dragon hybrid of that race. Sure it would require more art to do it justice, but this is blizzard we're talking about soo...

7+ Year Old Account
    Evoker isn't a race either.
    Dracthyr is a race, a race of dragonkin

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DietzThought View Post
    So we already know dragons can take the shape of humans, night elves, blood elves, gnomes and probably all possible races.

It makes sense for Dracthyr to have this ability as well, or at least be able to learn it. This opens up the Evoker class to all races:

- After the Dracthyr starting zone you're given the choice to go undercover with any of the playable races, to learn more about them.
    - You learn the race abilities of your chosen race - maybe in a short training questline
    - but it comes at a cost! You can't use your Dracthyr race abilities anymore, because then you'll reveal your secret!
    - You tell your new friends that you learned the Evoker ways by living with the Dracthyr Jane-Goodall-style.

... and Boom! You're an Evoker of your chosen race ... basically
    Well thought out, but seems unnecessary.
    Dracthyr learn other classes from the old races, now that they've met. Old races learn Evoker from the Dracthyr.
    The Dragon stuff stays dragon stuff, since it's essentially racial

Dracthyr is a race, a race of dragonkin
    What's the name of this thread?
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Quote Originally Posted by Toxuvox View Post
    Seems like a janky solution. Wouldn't it be easier to wait for the ability to be an Evoker of any race post Dragonflight? The story has been told, and the space between Dragonflight and 11.0 is where the various races learn to be Evokers? The tip of the hat to the whole Class Trainer thing?
    I think this is the case when you can't learn it. It's a blessing from the titans. Druids are already using the power of Life and Dream, mages are already using arcane and time, shamans are already using the Earth and Fire. Their main feature is that they can combine all 5 powers for prismatic, dragon magic.

- - - Updated - - -

Because in fact it is almost a separate race or rather a subspecies of demons. Demon Hunters are demons, they have demonic souls and can speak demonic language.

10+ Year Old Account
    @darkoms My understanding is that lore wise, Neltharion created the Evokers prior to his corruption and transformation into Deathwing, making Evokers a creation of Neltharion, not the Titans (either directly, or via a blessing). So lore wise, if they're tapping into all draconic magic schools (arcane, fire, frost, life, earth, temporal depending on spec), then surely there's nothing stopping other magically adept races from performing the same feat, or at least eventually learning to. The same applies to Demon Hunters.

Lore aside, where rule of cool is prime, there's no reason at all preventing the Evoker class from being widened to include other races later down the line. In fact, I believe several viable options to make it work, both visually and mechanically, have already been described by other forum posters.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxuvox View Post
    @darkoms My understanding is that lore wise, Neltharion created the Evokers prior to his corruption and transformation into Deathwing, making Evokers a creation of Neltharion, not the Titans (either directly, or via a blessing). So lore wise, if they're tapping into all draconic magic schools (arcane, fire, frost, life, earth, temporal depending on spec), then surely there's nothing stopping other magically adept races from performing the same feat, or at least eventually learning to. The same applies to Demon Hunters.

Lore aside, where rule of cool is prime, there's no reason at all preventing the Evoker class from being widened to include other races later down the line. In fact, I believe several viable options to make it work, both visually and mechanically, have already been described by other forum posters.
    Neltharion created them with the power of 5 dragonflights, which received their power from the Titans. It's not about who created them. In BFA, you have a quest where you find the essence of dragonflights to empower the Heart of Azeroth because it is a gift from the titans. You're not just infusing the Heart of Azeroth with the power of druids, mages, and shamans, you find the essence of dragonflights, because that's too closely associated with dragons and titans.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darkoms View Post
    Because in fact it is almost a separate race or rather a subspecies of demons. Demon Hunters are demons, they have demonic souls and can speak demonic language.
    They are still blood elves and night elves

They are still blood elves and night elves
    In part, just like the eredar in the Legion are still eredar. However, now they are demons with their own characteristics. I mean, even their customization is related to their class, not race.

Quote Originally Posted by Dejiko View Post
    Kind of. It was that the character has established lore and story behind it IE is already battle-ready, and thus this is represented in-game by starting at a higher level than 1.

Death Knights do backstory the most going as far as to give you a family member or best friend or whatever. Demon Hunters also have a dedicated origin story. I assume Drakthyr will too.
    Last edited by Firefall; 2022-05-10 at 03:17 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    In part, just like the eredar in the Legion are still eredar. However, now they are demons with their own characteristics. I mean, even their customization is related to their class, not race.
    They are just half-demons, they are still blood elf and night elf, they are not their own race, neither are sold as such. "Demonification" is a condition that some races undergo, to be their own demonic race you need way more time like a Eredar.

Quote Originally Posted by Celement View Post
    The idea seems to be to give them racials that help balance the class rather then trying to balance racial creep.

Letting tauren be rogues for examples is going to passively buff rogue/mage teams in arena by letting the rogue keep someone stunned a second longer with stomp.
    I don't think it will be that huge boon. War Stomp has DR with other stuns, so using it incorrectly can actually screw you. If anything, tauren mages will have more potential for War Stomp + Polymorph opener from invisibility, which will be strong for Frost and Arcane mages, who lack Dragon Breath + Polymorph combo.

While tauren have good racials, orcs reign supreme as Horde's PvP race of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by TJkroz View Post
    Well thought out, but seems unnecessary.
    Dracthyr learn other classes from the old races, now that they've met. Old races learn Evoker from the Dracthyr.
    The Dragon stuff stays dragon stuff, since it's essentially racial
    Some evoker abilities will be heavily tied to dragon form. We still don't know how many of their abilities will be tied to dragon form, but what most of abilities we've seen utilize Dragon form somehow, making evoker class hard to implement to other races.

The other way around, unlocking more classes to Dracthyr, seems way easier. I'd definitely play Dracthyr mage... But I'm worried about their transmog limitations. That makes the race way less attractive overall.
    Last edited by Vaedan; 2022-05-10 at 05:10 PM.

They are just half-demons, they are still blood elf and night elf, they are not their own race, neither are sold as such. "Demonification" is a condition that some races undergo, to be their own demonic race you need way more time like a Eredar.
    They are not half demons. There is no such thing as a half-demon. You are either a demon and your soul is bound to the Twisting Nether or a mortal and your soul will be taken to the Shadowlands.

7+ Year Old Account
    They are not half demons. There is no such thing as a half-demon. You are either a demon and your soul is bound to the Twisting Nether or a mortal and your soul will be taken to the Shadowlands.
    And, since the player demon hunter DOES not go to the twisting nether, we can confirm they are not demons, and just blood elves and demon hunters undergoing demonification.

Nice