Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Manchin bending Manchin...but Murkoswki and Collins can both kill themselves...in Minecraft!
    Manchin is the roadblock he was predicted to be years ago...big surprise.

I just wonder what his game is, since his favored Republican candidates locally (the ones he endorses) seem to get their asses handed to them by voters choosing the Trump pick.

But I guess being a fence-sitting shitlord is just way more profitable for him and his family right now. Shame West Virginia keeps electing dogshit candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Manchin is the roadblock he was predicted to be years ago...big surprise.

I just wonder what his game is, since his favored Republican candidates locally (the ones he endorses) seem to get their asses handed to them by voters choosing the Trump pick.

But I guess being a fence-sitting shitlord is just way more profitable for him and his family right now. Shame West Virginia keeps electing dogshit candidates.
    To add - it's also worth noting...fairly performative vote given that they don't have 60 votes to end a filibuster threat.

But not much will change on that front until Manchin and Sinema are irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Senate voted to codify and was defeated 51-49. Manchin voted with the Republicans.

I just hate this dog and pony show. Feckless Dems pulling this shit with no chance of winning. Oh btw the typical passive, aggressive Dems using this as "we got them on record" and lets vote and fundraise against it is week. Effin Dems!

Murkowski and Collins voted "No" with Republicans. Shocking! They supposedly did their own water downed bill. Manchin too stated that the Dem bill gave tooooooo much leniency on abortion.
    No effort from Schumer to preserve current law under Roe in order to get a "messaging" bill 52 votes. He gets 49. The bill fails outright, no failure to overcome filibuster, no "blocked by evil Republicans and evil filibuster," just fails to get a majority in a procedural vote.

Schumer: Wait guys, we have Senate Republicans on record ... as a bipartisan majority defeats the bill.

He's giving Pelosi a run for her money in worst person on Democratic leadership on the Hill.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    You seem to hold a lot more vitriol toward democrats than you do republicans in a lot of your posts. Is this just because you already expect republicans to be the dogshit side so it's the norm?

The result of this vote could have been predicted a year ago, tbh.
    Or 5, or any time under Obama, both Bush's, Reagan, Carter, Ford or Nixon.

Regardless, no one has any fucking right to tell another human what they can or cannot do with their own body, even suicide. Thise that want to control bodily autonomy have no right to claim muh freedumz ever.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    No effort from Schumer to preserve current law under Roe in order to get a "messaging" bill 52 votes. He gets 49. The bill fails outright, no failure to overcome filibuster, no "blocked by evil Republicans and evil filibuster," just fails to get a majority in a procedural vote.

Schumer: Wait guys, we have Senate Republicans on record ... as a bipartisan majority defeats the bill.

He's giving Pelosi a run for her money in worst person on Democratic leadership on the Hill.
    Funny how it's a bipartisan majority with 1 Democrats, but you guys love to not accept a bipartisan majority saved the ACA with 1 Republican vote, or any other time a few pubes crossed rank.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Yeah, if only they could get that “lady who means business” to vote to kill the filibuster. Oh well.
    It's not about that and killing the filibuster wouldn't have made a difference in this case. This is something Dems can campaign on especially since the vast majority of states that house these GOP senators have kill Switch laws that go into effect making it felony murder to abort. Which is something an overwhelming amount of Dems and Indies and a large share of repubs are very concerned over. This could be a big deal in some Senate races especially since gerrymandering doesn't matter for senate races and some GOP senators have openly stated they would consider coming for contraception, gay and interracial marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    Funny how it's a bipartisan majority with 1 Democrats, but you guys love to not accept a bipartisan majority saved the ACA with 1 Republican vote, or any other time a few pubes crossed rank.
    A bipartisan majority defeated the bill to change, or reform, the ACA. A bipartisan majority rejected Schumer's abortion bill. I'm fine on both. (ACA was 3 Republican flips, by the way. For the record.)
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

A bipartisan majority defeated the bill to change, or reform, the ACA. A bipartisan majority rejected Schumer's abortion bill. I'm fine on both. (ACA was 3 Republican flips, by the way. For the record.)
    No they didn't. Manchin is a Republican with a D next to his name.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    This. You'd be hard pressed to call any of the ACA flips "Democrats with an R next to their name".

Then again, considering tehdang's dishonest hyperfocusing on the exceeding minority of abortions done in the late term I'm not surprised he's trying to claim this as a victory for his depraved views.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

He's not. He's a Democrat. But we all know he's a very, very, very conservative Democrat. He's a shit, but that's the only Democrat WV was going to send to the Senate. And without him there wouldn't be an infrastructure bill or the ARA. I ain't praising him for this, so power down weapons, but it's just a reality.

If Manchin were a Republican with a little typo, McConnell would be majority leader, and this bill might be a laugh line in a subcommittee. It matters that Manchin is a Democrat. Your personal distaste for his Democrat-In-Name-Only is beside the point.

He's actually the most liked Democratic Senator in your entire damned caucus, if we poll Senators within their state.

He's actually the most liked Democratic Senator in your entire damned caucus, if we poll Senators within their state.
    Wait what? This seems like a weirdly specific poll. You got a link? Not that I doubt you, but more that I'm just curious who would commission such an oddly specific poll with such limited value in it. And to see what the other poll numbers are like.

Edit: Unless you're wording "he's popular with voters in his state" weirdly - https://www.wboy.com/news/west-virgi...west-virginia/

Though if you go to the poll it appears that Patrick Leahy is actually the most popular Democratic Senator with voters in his home state, and if we actually take the disapproval rating into the final number then Manchin would also be behind Ed Markey (-2% positive approval, but also -7% to disapproval, resulting in Markey coming out with a +5 over Manchin).
    Last edited by Edge-; 2022-05-12 at 12:51 AM.

ROFLMAO that is the dumbest thing ever most senators are popular in their state that's how they keep getting re-elected every term. That's like saying you are popular with your mom and dad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait what? This seems like a weirdly specific poll. You got a link? Not that I doubt you, but more that I'm just curious who would commission such an oddly specific poll with such limited value in it. And to see what the other poll numbers are like.

Edit: Unless you're wording "he's popular with voters in his state" weirdly - https://www.wboy.com/news/west-virgi...west-virginia/

Though if you go to the poll it appears that Patrick Leahy is actually the most popular Democratic Senator with voters in his home state, and if we actually take the disapproval rating into the final number then Manchin would also be behind Ed Markey (-2% positive approval, but also -7% to disapproval, resulting in Markey coming out with a +5 over Manchin).
    tehdang lying about easily researched information. Shocker.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    tehdang lying about easily researched information. Shalcker.
    There, typo fixed.

I misstated it. This was the morning consult poll measuring change in job performance approval rating. He leads the list in Senators whose performance in the Biden presidency over the last year improved.

https://morningconsult.com/2022/04/2...ch-paying-off/

It's a little less relevant to the DINO angle, but relevant to his ability to represent West Virginians.

10+ Year Old Account
    I misstated it. This was the morning consult poll measuring change in job performance approval rating. He leads the list in Senators whose performance in the Biden presidency over the last year improved.

It's a little less relevant to the DINO angle, but relevant to his ability to represent West Virginians.
    Your own link points out the gains made are mostly among Republicans (i.e. people who didn't vote for him and are not representative of the Democratic caucus).

So no, habibi, you're still lying and trying to walk it back.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2022-05-12 at 01:12 AM.

Which is a very different metric than, "Most popular Democratic Senator with their constituents". That's the same poll linked from the article I linked.

Nobody is arguing he's doing a poor job of representing his constituents, and despite the eagerness to portray Democrats as embracing the "DINO" term in the way Republicans have embraced "RINO", it's still not a "thing".

Which is a very different metric than, "Most popular Democratic Senator with their constituents". That's the same poll linked from the article I linked.
    Hence, the "misstated it."

Nobody is arguing he's doing a poor job of representing his constituents, and despite the eagerness to portray Democrats as embracing the "DINO" term in the way Republicans have embraced "RINO", it's still not a "thing".
    I was responding to someone that seemed pretty eager. You saw and also responded, so I don't get why you're saying this.

10+ Year Old Account

The whole argument you're having boils down to tehdang being completely blindly partisan and ignoring that votes and bills actually mean something and that ignoring that context is willful ignorance if not deliberate shitposting and disinformation.

Manchin isn't "bad" because he doesn't toe the Democrat party line. He's "bad" because he's a fucking neoliberal bigot shitmonger who's more focused on his career and personal wealth and infliction of suffering on innocents than he is on responsible governance.

Whether he's a Democrat or voting along party lines is irrelevant, fundamentally. He's an expression of the electorate's fundamental malice.

I was responding to someone that seemed pretty eager. You saw and also responded, so I don't get why you're saying this.
    One person, does not a trend make.

One person, does not a trend make.
    Again, I don't get you. I quote responded to a person on this forum that was eager to portray Manchin that way. Don't unperson somebody on the forum just because you want to minimize his perspective. I wasn't responding to 5 people, I was responding to him.