10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    To-may-to, to-mah-to, really.
    Except that it means there still has to be an "election" every once in a while.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I believe so too, but it would also be akin to Russia invading Canada. Defense pact or not, if Russia invaded Canada, the rest of the world would just empty their entire magazine into Russia. Russia's invasion of Canada, a generally helpful ally to most of the world, would be seen as intolerable aggression and would not be left like WWII's Poland.
    WWII Poland is a strange example to use, because the invasion of Poland WAS the final straw that caused the rest of the European powers to declare war on Germany. Both the UK and France declared war on Germany within 72 hours of the invasion of Poland, they did not sit it out. Their ability to actually assist Poland was minimal due to geography, but they didn't ignore it. Canada and the rest of the commonwealth were also immediately drawn into the war as the result of Poland.

https://thehill.com/news/senate/3486...d-package/amp/

Rand Paul holding up the $40B aid bill because he wants to insert language and is worried his proposed amendment might be voted down.

Isn't this like...not the first time he's delayed, or attempted to delay, legislation for aid to Ukraine?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrouded View Post
    Don't forget it was struck by a storm equipped with stealth technology that no one saw, heard or picked up on satellites. You can't really predict that.
    stealth tech weather. OOMMMGG HHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRPPPPPP SSSSTTTTIIILLLLLLLLLL EEEEXXXXIIIISSSSTTTTSSSS!11!11!11!11
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Isn't this like...not the first time he's delayed, or attempted to delay, legislation for aid to Ukraine?
    Paul is always obnoxious when it comes to ANY government spending, like everything that involves the US government paying for things he delays.

Bloody arrogant ass.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    WWII Poland is a strange example to use, because the invasion of Poland WAS the final straw that caused the rest of the European powers to declare war on Germany. Both the UK and France declared war on Germany within 72 hours of the invasion of Poland, they did not sit it out. Their ability to actually assist Poland was minimal due to geography, but they didn't ignore it. Canada and the rest of the commonwealth were also immediately drawn into the war as the result of Poland.
    Well, even if they didn't entirely "sit it out" it was called "the phoney war", and some claim that it would have been possible to successfully attack Germany from the west at that time.

And, the other invasion of Poland by Soviet Union in September 1939 didn't cause the UK and France to declare war on Soviet Union.
    Last edited by Forogil; 2022-05-12 at 09:28 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    Paul is always obnoxious when it comes to ANY government spending, like everything that involves the US government paying for things he delays.

Bloody arrogant ass.
    I mean, it's not just spending. Paul Ryan wakes up in a cold sweat whenever he has a nightmare that something he's done might have actually helped another human being. Luckily he can comfort himself by looking at his track record which proves, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that that has never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Except that it means there still has to be an "election" every once in a while.
    Everyone knows Russian election is just window dressing to pass what Putin wants.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Everyone knows Russian election is just window dressing to pass what Putin wants.
    Hence the quotation marks, sure.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    Zero evidence that Russia assisted Trump in his 2016 election?
    Zero evidence that Trump was more friendly to Russia than any president before or after?
    Zero evidence that Russia views Trump as their friend?

You know there is this thing called current polling and past elections we can look at that debunk your theory right? Domestic agenda drives votes, people may care about Russia because of what they are doing in Ukraine but it's not going to make a republican vote democrat or vice versa.

10+ Year Old Account
    CNN: Russian diplomat says many untrue things, da
    Russia's Ambassador to the European Union said Moscow's invasion of Ukraine is on track but not proceeding at the speed certain people in the country wanted.

Calling the invasion a "special military operation," Ambassador Vladimir Chizhov told Sky News Russia could have "steamrolled" Ukraine by now if it had wanted.

"It is continuing at a certain speed, having in mind the various aspects of the situation in Ukraine, including the need to protect the troops — the Russian troops and the allies of the Donetsk and Luhansk People’s Republics — as well as the civilian population," Chizhov said.

"Had the Russian army followed the pattern of the United States and other Western countries, we would have steamrolled Ukraine several times by now. But that was never the intention. Actually, I should repeat that it was not the intention of Russia to capture territory in Ukraine."

When asked by YUPPIE about the use of nuclear weapons in Ukraine Chizhov said:

"You mean whether NATO will deploy nuclear weapons in Ukraine? I hope not." He added, "As distinctly different from the United States, Russia does not deploy nuclear weapons anywhere beyond its own territory..."
    "...we just take over the territory first, then we just deploy weapons to our own territory. We don't have any real friends, after all," he didn't say, but I imagine him saying.
    Chizhov said he is "deeply disappointed and saddened" by Finland and Sweden making moves to join NATO.

"Why the current Finish government has chosen to turn the country into a backwater periphery of NATO, I cannot understand," he said.

If Finland joins, Russia will take "certain military technical measures," he said.

"Like improving or raising the degree of defense preparations along the Finish border...not necessarily troops and tanks but certain preparations like radars, perhaps, but I'm not a military expert."
    "Maybe we'll just randomly violate their airspace, instead. More than we already do, that is," he also didn't say, but I also imagine him saying.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Just imagine their casualties if they weren't protecting their troops...

Oh, wait, they aren't. They are dumping them in pits in an effort to conceal the numbers and having to pay out the families.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://thehill.com/news/senate/3486...d-package/amp/

Rand Paul holding up the $40B aid bill because he wants to insert language and is worried his proposed amendment might be voted down.

I genuinely hope Rand Paul's neighbor beats his ass again.

It must be done, he's the hero we need, but do not deserve.

- - - Updated - - -

sip.
    How do you know that a Russian official is lying?

His mouth is moving.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Just imagine their casualties if they weren't protecting their troops...

Oh, wait, they aren't. They are dumping them in pits in an effort to conceal the numbers and having to pay out the families.
    I mean technically they could have called up every reservist age 16 to 50, regardless of fitness or ability to read or not, hand them some trusty old Mosins from the WW2 stocks and human wave attack Ukraine.

I'm sure they would have taken the country by now with that, would probably take them 5 -8 million casualties. But a) Putin doesn't care, b) the Russians themselves clearly don't care either as they seem to have not yet mastered the civilizational skill of "valuing human life".
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2022-05-13 at 05:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

Ukrain worker on nuclear power plant told russans to dig deeper. What a troll
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post

I mean technically they could have called up every reservist age 16 to 50, regardless of fitness or ability to read or not, hand them some trusty old Mosins from the WW2 stocks and human wave attack Ukraine.

I'm sure they would have taken the country by now with that, would probably take them 5 -8 million casualties. But a) Putin doesn't care, b) the Russians themselves clearly don't care either as they seem to have not yet mastered the civilizational skill of "valuing human life".
    I'm not sure even that would have helped much. Maybe they could have taken a bit more land, but they are having a hard time enough supplying the troops tehy already have just over the border. Supplying millions of troops deep into Ukraine? The whole thing would have collapsed long before now if they tried that.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    I'm not sure even that would have helped much. Maybe they could have taken a bit more land, but they are having a hard time enough supplying the troops tehy already have just over the border. Supplying millions of troops deep into Ukraine? The whole thing would have collapsed long before now if they tried that.
    They could just eat the corpses of their fallen comrades. That sounds perfectly aligned with their barbaric ways to me. Plus that gets rid of the evidence of there being fallen russian troops. A win/win scenario.

I'd imagine that even if they drafted half the country for a massive suicide charge, they'd still get chewed up by modern artillery and heavy weapons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    How do you know that a Russian official is lying?

His mouth is moving.
    That's hardly a reliable indicator.

I'm reasonably sure they're perfectly capable of lying in writing or when using sign language. They could probably lie via interpretive dance too.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Actual declaration of war and mobilization of reserves is not something Russia can do.

They can keep throwing the poor people from rural backwaters into the grinder, but if they tried to do that to the well off thirtysomethings from Moscow and St. Petersburg, hell would break loose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Actual declaration of war and mobilization of reserves is not something Russia can do.

They can keep throwing the poor people from rural backwaters into the grinder, but if they tried to do that to the well off thirtysomethings from Moscow and St. Petersburg, hell would break loose.
    Never underestimate the capacity of humans to be stupid. It may not be smart but that doesn't seem to stop the russian leadership. You're probably right that there would be more grumbling but unless and until the police and the army say 'nope' nothing will change significantly.