Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Although I think new trees could be fun and interesting, I just don't think Blizz can pull it off.

Speaking of interrupts or mechanics in general, I think it would be cool if every class got some kind of boost for dealing with a mechanic. Maybe some cooldowns are reduced, or 10 seconds of +crit, or whatever, just some kind of boost so that mechanics aren't just something you deal with because you have to, but something you look forward to a little bit more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    I think overwhelmingly it will be a popular decision, since a lot of people miss the old talent system. Many players have been asking for them to come back for a long time.

I am not one of them. I like the current talent system -- allthough I wish it had more tiers -- as something I regularly change and interact with situationally, verses the old set-and-forget cookiecutter builds with pre-reqs that limit flexibility to adapt to context. But more than anything is that I'm VERY wary of some of the previews we've seen that seem to show some abilities that are currently baseline being turned into talents.

There will be a lot of positives, like the ability to keep abilities that have been tied to expansion systems, and the fact that this is in place of yet another stupid borrowed power system, but overall, I'm much more cynical about the incoming talent changes than I am excited.
    I'm hoping it will be different than the classic ones...but odds are no. Actually wasn't much different than the current ones except with TONS of filler...if you don't take what's best you'll be laughed at or perhaps even rejected depending on what level of play you try to participate in

I dont think people realize what this system is suppose to replace.

This isn't just a new talent system

Its a system that is suppose to replace old talent system AND all the trash temporary borrowed power telents-on-gear systems like legiondaries with retarded rng acquisition or craftable-orange-gear-talents with some extreme price attached to it (and all other variations of temporary talents and takents-on-gear).

Between these two, their current idea is just better in every regard. I just hope they don't go back on their word cause that would make me super mad.

Even if the new talents will not ba balanced it would still be better than old talents + talents-on-gear.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    I'm hoping it will be different than the classic ones...but odds are no. Actually wasn't much different than the current ones except with TONS of filler...if you don't take what's best you'll be laughed at or perhaps even rejected depending on what level of play you try to participate in
    We already know that it is going to be different than the classic one, because we know what types of things will be filling it: stuff we've seen in recent borrowed power systems like conduits, artifact abilities,etc, as well as existing spells we have being moved to talents.

I'm still not enthusiastic about having abilities I currently have baseline taken away and have to be bought back, especially if they end up competing with each other due to point or prerequisite restrictions, but I'll wait until I see the actual trees before I decide how salty I am about that.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    We already know that it is going to be different than the classic one, because we know what types of things will be filling it: stuff we've seen in recent borrowed power systems like conduits, artifact abilities,etc, as well as existing spells we have being moved to talents.

I'm still not enthusiastic about having abilities I currently have baseline taken away and have to be bought back, especially if they end up competing with each other due to point or prerequisite restrictions, but I'll wait until I see the actual trees before I decide how salty I am about that.
    Well not all those tiles can be abilities...there has to be filler, and that is where I worry it will be like classic.

Quote Originally Posted by LuxTheGamer View Post
    They seem confusing, and I feel like I'll be stressed out by them, I've played Classic and have quit as the talents seem too extreme and such.
    I prefer the WOD era talents as I started in Late MOP and boosted a fury warrior in warlords of Draenor, and I might miss the pick a talent, and boom, you read the thing and you pick a talent. That seems easy, but with this other system, I don't understand I'm not sure.
    Ya not sure why people like this, it will just be a ‘look at a guide’ and pick those and never look back sort of thing.

I started to play on CAtaclysm, I remember that it was very annoying because for some specific boss fight, you have to hearthstone to stormwind, go with your class trainer (something that was removed with the talent tree) , reset your ENTIRE talent tree, just to change a single specific talent.

So yes, It can be really cool when you are leveling your character, but doing that at end game is annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by pahbi View Post
    Although I think new trees could be fun and interesting, I just don't think Blizz can pull it off.

Speaking of interrupts or mechanics in general, I think it would be cool if every class got some kind of boost for dealing with a mechanic. Maybe some cooldowns are reduced, or 10 seconds of +crit, or whatever, just some kind of boost so that mechanics aren't just something you deal with because you have to, but something you look forward to a little bit more.
    Maybe they should add speedrunning leaderboards for raids. Then people would actually care for doing the raid in the best and most effective way instead of being entirely focused on their personal dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    It was an amazing system. You are just factually wrong.
    Lol not even close it was a terrible awful system and the game is better for its removal

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    "I don't like the evergreen content" isn't the same argument as "There isn't evergreen content".
    "I don't like the new content" isn't the same argument as "They don't add enough new content."

These are dishonest conflations you are making. You can't complain that the game doesn't get enough content and then when the content is listed just start saying that you don't like that content so you don't count it. That's as silly as me saying "I don't like wow raids therefore FF14 has more raids".

- - - Updated - - -

Remember when a group of hardcore world first wow raiders came to FF14 and practiced for six months to show us how its done and then came in.... 37th in the world first savage race? And then took their toys, went home, and didn't bother embarrassing themselves by taking part in the ultimate race?

I remember. Funny how all these people that declare FF14 so much less complex than WoW don't just come to FF14 and one shot all the bosses, claim world first, and laugh at everyone else.
    I mean 6 months is a very short time to learn a game you have 0 experience with. Most dont even get max lvl in that timeframe

Quote Originally Posted by Vampyrr View Post
    Lol not even close it was a terrible awful system and the game is better for its removal

- - - Updated - - -

I mean 6 months is a very short time to learn a game you have 0 experience with. Most dont even get max lvl in that timeframe
    You are 1000% wrong. In every single way.

7+ Year Old Account
    There will be a lot of positives, like the ability to keep abilities that have been tied to expansion systems, and the fact that this is in place of yet another stupid borrowed power system, but overall, I'm much more cynical about the incoming talent changes than I am excited.
    The main draw, for me at least, is going to be the ability to experiment with new combinations of talent choices. I think we can all be honest and acknowledge that there will be meta builds, and that this is inevitable; however, I think the option to be able to granularly customize some hyper-specialized, dumb builds is important in an MMO (like a modern-age Shockadin build).

For instance, imagine if it was possible to make a Demonology Warlock build that could give up all major cooldowns in lieu of summoning more imps and gave you the ability to increase the power of your main Imp pet instead of your Felguard. That would be a fun idea for a build, but would be awful and off meta. But even if it's off meta, who would want to stop an aspiring Gnome Warlock from attaining a personal title of "The Implord" on an RP server? As someone who has played OSRS and other games where someone else making the wrong choice doesn't necessarily affect you, it's always fun to see a "cute noob" that's doing something that's in every way wrong.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    It is weird to see Blizzard making changes to the game which make it less accessible but I'm curious to see how it'll pan out. The idea of allowing specs to have access to talents which they traditionally have not had access to is one that intrigues me quite a bit but also one I could see going pretty poorly if they fail to balance accordingly.
    Sounds kinda like how SWTOR did it. Like you have a core class, say druid. And an advanced class, say feral. There will be a talent tree that affects core moves all druids have, and a talent tree for whichever spec you are that affects those moves.

As for the "talents allowing moves you traditionally didn't have" is literally the point of an entire druid talent tier since Legion.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    As for the "talents allowing moves you traditionally didn't have" is literally the point of an entire druid talent tier since Legion.
    Since MoP.

Ever since the current talent system has existed, druids have had Affinity talent that lets them choose another of their specs and learn core spells from it.

You know who does love the talent trees coming back? Wowhead, Icy Veins, Elitist Jerks clones, class "experts" who will now have a lot more traffic heading their way as people go to find the current "tree of the month".

Probably Preach and Asmond, and other "WoW Haters" who can then get views as they complain about the whack-a-mole game Blizz has to play to find class balance.

Quote Originally Posted by uopayroll View Post
    You know who does love the talent trees coming back? Wowhead, Icy Veins, Elitist Jerks clones, class "experts" who will now have a lot more traffic heading their way as people go to find the current "tree of the month".

Probably Preach and Asmond, and other "WoW Haters" who can then get views as they complain about the whack-a-mole game Blizz has to play to find class balance.
    The thing is, if Blizzard is at all succesful with this, optimal talents may well change per fight in raids or per dungeon and affix in M+. And world content will have different ones ofc. I think we will move more towards addons that load multiple setups and prompt you to switch them as needed (which exist already but will be much more necessary and may come with the setups themselves).

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    The thing is, if Blizzard is at all succesful with this, optimal talents may well change per fight in raids or per dungeon and affix in M+. And world content will have different ones ofc. I think we will move more towards addons that load multiple setups and prompt you to switch them as needed (which exist already but will be much more necessary and may come with the setups themselves).
    Lol, that makes my thought even more so, if there is a "tree of the month" for each fight. We just have to wait and see how things go

The best anyone can hope for is being within 3% or so from optimal and not. If they chance achieve that sort of balance i think they will have won and i say that to make people feel as if they are not picking the wrong talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Since MoP.

Ever since the current talent system has existed, druids have had Affinity talent that lets them choose another of their specs and learn core spells from it.
    My bad. I wowpedia'd the affinities and only one of them had a changelog which said it was added in 7.0.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    People already do this.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    My bad. I wowpedia'd the affinities and only one of them had a changelog which said it was added in 7.0.
    No, fuck. I confused it with HotW's current design.

MoP was pre-prune. We just HAD all of those offspec spells available. And HotW buffed the fuck out of them while it lasted. I used to tank first phase of Dark Animus as a Resto Druid with HotW active. Balance druid was also basically an extra raid healing CD. Pop HotW and Tranquility and you just topped the raid.

WoD pruned those spells away, making offspecs un-usable because of the lack of spells, while keeping HotW with its offspec boosting role. Hilariously bad.

Legion added talent trees that could be different for each spec, so it gave us the ability to have the Affinity tier. Finally got some offspec spells back. HotW got removed, so Affinities were mostly chosen for their passive bonuses (which mostly just meant Guardian and 10% damage reduction to non-guardians)

And finally Shadowlands added back HotW, which now boosts the chosen Affinity's effect.
    Last edited by Lahis; 2022-05-12 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    No, fuck. I confused it with HotW's current design.

MoP was pre-prune. We just HAD all of those offspec spells available. And HotW buffed the fuck out of them while it lasted. I used to tank first phase of Dark Animus as a Resto Druid with HotW active. Balance druid was also basically an extra raid healing CD. Pop HotW and Tranquility and you just topped the raid.

WoD pruned those spells away, making offspecs un-usable because of the lack of spells, while keeping HotW with its offspec boosting role. Hilariously bad.

Legion added talent trees that could be different for each spec, so it gave us the ability to have the Affinity tier. Finally got some offspec spells back. HotW got removed, so Affinities were mostly chosen for their passive bonuses (which mostly just meant Guardian and 10% damage reduction to non-guardians)

And finally Shadowlands added back HotW, which now boosts the chosen Affinity's effect.
    I remember a few things, like resto affinity's, or whatever its equivalent was, healing tick, being in WoD. It killed me a bunch of times on the Throne of Kil'jaeden cause at the time it bounced to any friendly passing by. Some guy would run through the area, aggro some stuff, keep running, and when he got away they'd revert to me cause I was on their aggro list. Got me killed a bunch of times.