Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I require for people to join discord when pushing keys, not 15s obviously, but anything 25 and above. Made some cool long term mates in this way and the ones who don't find it fun - just leave after the run. And I agree with OP sentiment. When you have 4 people in voice and the only info other person gets is my route - I will just replace them. There is no benefit to having people in voice if we need to stand afk while I type for a hunter to trap marked mob when it's at X location. I understand if girls are hesitant to join tho, I have a mate who we do keys sometimes, she joined us in the same way as other guys and just stuck around, she told me some stories how pug guys would start messaging her on discord after the m+ runs, randomly ask questions not related to WoW stuff. Weird fucks.

If its put as a requirement for the group, it’s a requirement.

Don’t know why this discussion is relevant, it doesn’t matter if you think you need it or not if the group leader says it’s mandatory. It’s the height of arrogance to join a group asking for comms and then saying ‘nah I don’t need it’.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Reality is horny people online will lust over anything with any chance given.

No one should be forced to act a certain way just because others can't behave themselves. Or are you going to say next that everyone should have every inch of their skin covered too? It's a silly argument that I'm not sure how you're missing that you're just falling into victim blaming.
    Reality is if you leave your house you could be hurt

if somebody has a victim mentality and refuses to leave their houses locking themselves away from the world are you going to encourage that life style?

you are the type of person who is causing harm without knowing it
    please stop
    10 reports = instant ban without GM review (people need to be in different guilds or you will need more reports)
    you can organize a 11th person in your discord to provoke the person you want banned then report for literary no real reason... anything that can be considered "toxic" is a valid reason for the ban to stay on the account and will not be removed
    https://youtu.be/OcSiCgFDYhY

Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    I would join discord or the good old ventrilo(old days) if it was required. joined, muted. Sometimes I would talk, most often not. I join for the sake of it and at the very least I get all info directly.

If ppl are annoying ie talking alot or hear the sound of keyboard clicks, I mute them all except raid leader.
    Pretty much this... I join, mute my mic. Listen and leave the server after we're done.

You're totally right.

It's your group, so it's your rules.

If a person don't want to join a discord, then she/he's a problem and they just want to be carried.
    If a group expect you to use voice-chat, then use voice-chat, even if you know the fight perfectly. It's MMO after all, the cooperation between players is important and sometimes crucial to beat certain bosses. If you aren't willing to make the boss easier for the raid group, then you shouldn't expect being invited by them. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Because some people on the internet are girls, and some who aren't are super creepy when they find out. Not sure if that's what the problem is, but it absolutely happens.
    ....so don't go into a random public discord and say "HEY EVERYONE I'M A GIRL :3333", problem solved

if some retard starts "creeping", block him, problem solved

what's the issue here

Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    For the one or two fights for which it is indeed necessary i'll join Discord. To clarify: This means pugging either later heroic bosses or mythic bosses (or exceptions, like i.e. Mekkatorque).

Before that there is absolutely no reason for me to indulge in the distracting and often counterproductive nasal screechings and mutterings of people that really aren't any improvement over sweet silence.
    Yep. Generally speaking people who think discord is "needed" for heroic raids are exceedingly poor players. Any heroic raid listing with discord is a red flag to avoid that listing, and that generally seems to apply from what I see of their fill rates vs good group fill rates.

Which is to say the one with "discord required" in the name is listed for an hour or two on the same Skolex or Xymox, while the other groups are filled immediately.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    Reality is if you leave your house you could be hurt

if somebody has a victim mentality and refuses to leave their houses locking themselves away from the world are you going to encourage that life style?

you are the type of person who is causing harm without knowing it
    please stop
    I will never understand the mindset of people who go "It's been 4 days since the last comment...let me drag this back up".

Either way, this is ridiculously inane and I don't know how you even thought it was worth posting, because extreme situations do not make for arguing points. You could also get hurt inside your house. 100% of all people who breath die! We should stop breathing! It's ridiculous. Nor is it comparable to what I said, which would be more akin to advising people to carry pepper spray on them if they feel like they could be in danger.

But at this point it's pretty clear you're not here to actually discuss the point, and you have no idea what you're talking about since you have to keep constantly strawmanning to make up "points" that were never said, nor are they even comparable to the situation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    ....so don't go into a random public discord and say "HEY EVERYONE I'M A GIRL :3333", problem solved

if some retard starts "creeping", block him, problem solved

what's the issue here
    The issue is you assume people have to announce they're a girl for it to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    It constantly amazes me how so many people playing this MMO absolutely hate the idea of playing with other people
    OK zoomer.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

The issue is you assume people have to announce they're a girl for it to happen.
    How is someone supposed to know your IRL gender unless you speak in voice chat?

Point still stands. Making a mountain of a molehill here.

I will never understand the mindset of people who go "It's been 4 days since the last comment...let me drag this back up".
    And likewise, I'll never understand the mindset of people who go "wahh wahh I don't want to talk about this anymore STOP TALKING ABOUT THIS REEEEE"

You posted on a public forum. Other people are free to reply to your posts.

How is someone supposed to know your IRL gender unless you speak in voice chat?

Point still stands. Making a mountain of a molehill here.
    Why are you assuming they have to KNOW your gender to take an action?

As I've already said, I was standing next to a summon stone before and someone started whispering me rather inappropriate things, because for some reason they thought I was a chick just because I was playing a blood elf.

This just sounds like because you've never had to deal with it, or never heard stories of others having to deal with it, that it must not be a big issue. Which isn't how it works.

And likewise, I'll never understand the mindset of people who go "wahh wahh I don't want to talk about this anymore STOP TALKING ABOUT THIS REEEEE"

You posted on a public forum. Other people are free to reply to your posts.
    Ah yes, because that's EXACTLY what I said lol.

If I didn't want to talk about it, I wouldn't respond. I just think it's pretty worthless to drag up a conversation from days ago when obviously it was missed. Especially when the response that comes days later is just repeating the same comment that was already debunked.

But you really didn't hesitate to go right to insulting instead of trying to think of something worth saying, did you?

Either way, this is ridiculously inane and I don't know how you even thought it was worth posting, because extreme situations do not make for arguing points. You could also get hurt inside your house. 100% of all people who breath die! We should stop breathing! It's ridiculous. Nor is it comparable to what I said, which would be more akin to advising people to carry pepper spray on them if they feel like they could be in danger.

But at this point it's pretty clear you're not here to actually discuss the point, and you have no idea what you're talking about since you have to keep constantly strawmanning to make up "points" that were never said, nor are they even comparable to the situation.

- - - Updated - - -

your mentality has some real issues that need fixing

there are no real victims no real offenders these are people who are mentally weak and you enable them instead of help

when a child is afraid of a "ghost" im guessing you don't think its a good idea to reinforce their fear... or do you?

you cause damage to others by doing this
    yes nothing left to talk about it will take you time and you will have to come to a self realization in order to start helping instead of hurting
    10 reports = instant ban without GM review (people need to be in different guilds or you will need more reports)
    you can organize a 11th person in your discord to provoke the person you want banned then report for literary no real reason... anything that can be considered "toxic" is a valid reason for the ban to stay on the account and will not be removed

your mentality has some real issues that need fixing

there are no real victims no real offenders these are people who are mentally weak and you enable them instead of help

you cause damage to others by doing this
    yes nothing left to talk about it will take you time and you will have to come to a self realization in order to start helping instead of hurting
    What's next, you're going to claim mental therapy is a scam and isn't real?

when a child is afraid of a "ghost" im guessing you don't think its a good idea to reinforce their fear... or do you?
    What the actual hell are you going on about at this point

Do you go around terrifying children about things until they get over it? Dude, that's literally called traumatizing.

I mean I can get the argument of not wanting to listen to randoms. I usually have a audio book going I rather listen to and unless it's a 20+ or something akin to that it isnt needed...

That said this thread got wild.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please knock it off with the bickering about "victim mentality/etc." It's drifted far offtopic at this point.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

being social is important

discord will help you do content the same way DBM helps you do content

unless you are leading the raid there is no reason for you to talk
    there is no reason for you to even use the same in game character name in discord

there are ignore functions in discord if you don't like somebodies voice or their mic is to loud or you can hear background sound. you can fix this without leaving the discord.

blaming people you have never met before because of a past incident is bias that should be worked on not reinforced

even if its old content and everyone knows the fight Discord will speed the run up and make it easier to assign who is doing what mechanic

10+ Year Old Account
    being social is important

discord will help you do content the same way DBM helps you do content

unless you are leading the raid there is no reason for you to talk
    there is no reason for you to even use the same in game character name in discord

there are ignore functions in discord if you don't like somebodies voice or their mic is to loud or you can hear background sound. you can fix this without leaving the discord.

blaming people you have never met before because of a past incident is bias that should be worked on not reinforced

even if its old content and everyone knows the fight Discord will speed the run up and make it easier to assign who is doing what mechanic
    There are other reasons not to join strange discords that don't include unwillingness to talk to people or social anxiety. The internet is a strange place and you don't know who you can and cannot trust. Joining random discords is, at least to a degree, a digital security risk. A lot of information about you can be derived from a discord account and most people can't be bothered to create throwaway accounts and/or use VPNs and such just for the purpose of playing with random people.

The level of risk does in part also depend on who you are and what you do, but you can't dismiss it as an illegitimate concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudmaker View Post
    I only join Discord servers where my friends are present. I no longer join Discord servers or make calls with strangers. There has been far too much abuse for me to continue. Fortunately, the Discord platform recently changed the rules, and it is now possible to report misbehaving users. Except for the three final bosses, I believe there is no need for discord in heroic raids. It’s much safer to do it with guild.
    and now you're a jannie on wow forums. that's ironic, lol.

its just voice comms tho, if you dont like it, just leave the server. you cant be abused over discord, get a grip on reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Evolixe View Post
    There are other reasons not to join strange discords that don't include unwillingness to talk to people or social anxiety. The internet is a strange place and you don't know who you can and cannot trust. Joining random discords is, at least to a degree, a digital security risk. A lot of information about you can be derived from a discord account and most people can't be bothered to create throwaway accounts and/or use VPNs and such just for the purpose of playing with random people.

The level of risk does in part also depend on who you are and what you do, but you can't dismiss it as an illegitimate concern.
    social anxiety is something that a person should try and deal with / fix

sitting in a discord without having to talk is a good way to help a person deal with this

unless you are a tank or leading the raid you wont have to talk

discord accounts are free make a second one if your problems are that extreme

15+ Year Old Account
    It's a little precious to not join a discord because you're scared you're going to be "creeped on." Some of y'all really need therapy.

You're in a raid. Not a group quest. You chose to involve yourself in an event that requires more interaction with others. Suck it up or start your own antisocial raid.