Thread: music venues

music venues

i went to my mates sons first gig with his new band last night.

obviously a bit biased, ive known him since birth but it was a really good night, all his college mates turned out for him (about 50 people) but the venue was pretty awful, the acoustics were terrible and the beer was horrid (we moved onto bottled halfway through the first pint there)

im rough as a bears arse today but had a great time.

it got me thinking about music venues ive been to and which were my favourite so ill tell you and ask if you had any

a few of my favourites

outdoor large stadium - lancashire cricket ground, i love this place, had so many good times here, rem, greenday, editors really good acoustics and atmosphere, love it, beers not the best but drinkable

intimate - blackpool bootleg social club, this is everything the place i went to last night should have been, could understand every word the singer sang, beer was great really loud, really intimate. i knew i wasnt going to like the band my mates went to see but really enjoyed it anyway

indoor stadium - cant remember what its called but the stadium in cardiff, just loud and rocking, oasis, sterophonics (my dad had to take me lol) feeder who are amazing live foo fighters great again.

im going to start travelling more to see gigs etc, what are your favourites?

5+ Year Old Account
    It will sound a bit conventional but I dislike open spaces when it comes to concerts. Most enjoyable are concert halls, philharmonics and theaters. I have picky ears so there has to be good acoustics and quiet place.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudmaker View Post
    It will sound a bit conventional but I dislike open spaces when it comes to concerts. Most enjoyable are concert halls, philharmonics and theaters. I have picky ears so there has to be good acoustics and quiet place.
    I can definitely understand that, I mainly like outdoors because of the sun which you are generally in.

Sound quality does take a turn for the worse though

I love a good live music show. My wife and I probably see around 10 - 15 shows a year, and we are in a lot of different venues (mostly bars). One of my favorite venues is an outdoor venue (see below), but the best venues do seem to be the newer medium sized indoor venues. As has been said...sound quality for the indoor venues are almost always better.

I'm from Pittsburgh, and there's a big outdoor venue nearby in Burgettstown called "Star Lake Amphitheater"...which is now an area in Ardenweald. Cracked me the fuck up when I saw it. The venue itself has gone through many name changes over the years and is technically "The Pavillion at Star Lake" now, but it was originally "Star Lake Amphitheater" and that's what just about everyone here calls it still.

Quote Originally Posted by fooliuscaesar13 View Post
    I love a good live music show. My wife and I probably see around 10 - 15 shows a year, and we are in a lot of different venues (mostly bars). One of my favorite venues is an outdoor venue (see below), but the best venues do seem to be the newer medium sized indoor venues. As has been said...sound quality for the indoor venues are almost always better.

I'm from Pittsburgh, and there's a big outdoor venue nearby in Burgettstown called "Star Lake Amphitheater"...which is now an area in Ardenweald. Cracked me the fuck up when I saw it. The venue itself has gone through many name changes over the years and is technically "The Pavillion at Star Lake" now, but it was originally "Star Lake Amphitheater" and that's what just about everyone here calls it still.
    That's a number of gigs I'd be looking at going to per year, maybe get to twice a month.

I googled that amphitheatre it looks amazing, I've sometimes wished Lancashire cricket ground was like that, but it's primarily a cricket ground (obviously lol). I don't think we have anything like that around here.

5+ Year Old Account
    Imagine during the concert suddenly weather changes and you get a free shower. Hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudmaker View Post
    Imagine during the concert suddenly weather changes and you get a free shower. Hahaha
    No need to imagine, I live in Manchester, we get like two days of summer a year

I didn't cry though ... Promise

Quote Originally Posted by molliewoof View Post
    That's a number of gigs I'd be looking at going to per year, maybe get to twice a month.

I googled that amphitheatre it looks amazing, I've sometimes wished Lancashire cricket ground was like that, but it's primarily a cricket ground (obviously lol). I don't think we have anything like that around here.
    We had tickets to 26 shows in 2020, before the world shut down. It felt like EVERY band we liked was touring that year. There are only two shows that we didn't get refunds for: Rage Against the Machine and Motley Crue. Both shows were rescheduled twice and are coming up in July (rage) and August (crue).

It really is an amazing venue. I think it seats 7k or so, and has capacity for 15k on the general admission area (the "lawn").It's huge, out of the way, has a ton of parking that most people tailgate. Not sure the acreage it spans but it's not close to anything and even hole-in-the-wall bars are miles away. It is close enough to the town of Burgettstown that when there was a power outage years ago in Burgettstown, the Manson/Slipknot show at Starlake was affected. Bands would play there rather than in the city of Pittsburgh because of the stupid "amusement tax" that Pittsburgh would charge bands/shows/whatever to play in the city. Not sure that still exists, but it used to be a thing.

The only thing that I dislike about the venue is that there is one way in, one way out. Getting out at the end of the night is a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by fooliuscaesar13 View Post
    We had tickets to 26 shows in 2020, before the world shut down. It felt like EVERY band we liked was touring that year. There are only two shows that we didn't get refunds for: Rage Against the Machine and Motley Crue. Both shows were rescheduled twice and are coming up in July (rage) and August (crue).

It really is an amazing venue. I think it seats 7k or so, and has capacity for 15k on the general admission area (the "lawn").It's huge, out of the way, has a ton of parking that most people tailgate. Not sure the acreage it spans but it's not close to anything and even hole-in-the-wall bars are miles away. It is close enough to the town of Burgettstown that when there was a power outage years ago in Burgettstown, the Manson/Slipknot show at Starlake was affected. Bands would play there rather than in the city of Pittsburgh because of the stupid "amusement tax" that Pittsburgh would charge bands/shows/whatever to play in the city. Not sure that still exists, but it used to be a thing.

The only thing that I dislike about the venue is that there is one way in, one way out. Getting out at the end of the night is a mess.
    It's weird that I've heard of burgetstown but don't know why, I wonder if it's because of that stadium

I know a great music venue for you at

Mod Note: Removed Link
    Last edited by CerealLord; 2022-06-14 at 02:34 AM.

I'm listening to Rag'n'Bone Man - Human. If you haven't heard it, make sure you listen to it.

Unfortunately, I can no longer go to my favorite performers' shows. Jimmy Hendrix one love!

Most enjoyable are concert halls, philharmonics and theaters.

Tyler Gregory Okonma, known professionally as Tyler, the Creator, is an American rapper and record producer. He is one of the founding members of the music collective Odd Future.