Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    SO how many rubles are you paid for this shit?
    /Facepalm.

I was going to post that obvious sarcasm is sarcasm but I also posted knowing that what I was writing was legitimately the Russian take on issues of security so...my bad I guess. I'll put /s next time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    Yes because being within Russia's sphere of influence requires you to accept that your own security needs must be assessed through the Russian lens and fall secondary to Russia's interests which should be your primary concern.

If Ukraine had realised this then it wouldn't have forced Russia's hand to start a genocide.
    Hot Take, Russia does not inherently have any right to have a ”sphere of influence” just because the soviet union had its boot on the neck of bunch of countries in eastern europe.

If the Ivans don’t like what their own actions are driving their neighbours into doing, they can go fuck themselves.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Hot Take, Russia does not inherently have any right to have a ”sphere of influence” just because the soviet union had its boot on the neck of bunch of countries in eastern europe.
    Unfortunately, those dumb, stuck in the past soviet heads never realized that, hence all the issues they caused in this century. All of this because of a lost Cold War complex.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    It"s now official. Social democratic party in Sweden as expected are also in favor. That means an overwhelming majority, for Sweden along with Finland to apply for NATO membership.
    The most interesting is that Russia seems cool with both Finland and Sweden joining NATO

https://thehill.com/news/3488987-fin...n-nato-calmly/
    Finnish president Niinistö, told CNN’s “State of the Union” that Putin’s reaction during the phone call was a “surprise.”
    The surprise was that he took [the news] so calmly.
    and
    Moscow opposes the expansion of NATO, but the inclusion of Finland and Sweden in the bloc won’t become an existential threat to it
    , Kremlin Press Secretary Dmitry Peskov told Sky News on Friday.
    (Translation of "existential threat" for OP: Russia will not launch nuclear missiles against Finland and Sweden.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    The most interesting is that Russia seems cool with both Finland and Sweden joining NATO

Finnish president Niinistö, told CNN’s “State of the Union” that Putin’s reaction during the phone call was a “surprise.”

and
    (Translation of "existential threat" for OP: Russia will not launch nuclear missiles against Finland and Sweden.)
    Historically Finland hasn't really made any claims on russian soil, except for the obvious independence thing and the Continuation War, and neither has Sweden. Now I don't trust putin, but it just might be that they understand that Finland and Sweden are purely there for defense, fat chance of them understanding that, I know. Also, wasting nukes on Finland, Sweden and Norway seems kinda silly. Yes, there are those who want Karelia back, but honestly from what I hear it's a neglected shithole which is thoroughly russified and NO country close to russia is currently wanting to have a sizeable russian minority.

Meanwhile both Ukraine and Belarus have been used as highways into russia in the past (and the same kinda goes from the east via Mongolia).

Still, the mild response is odd to say the least. (or it could just be an acknowledgement that they can't do shit about it right now, short of nuking the place and that would be stupid.)

7+ Year Old Account

and
    Nothing really surprising about that. Ruskies ain't stupid and those countries made it clear they want to join NATO after the invasion. All is going as expected in that regard. Putlers and his team outrage was for the masses. What was he supposed to do, curse and threaten Finnish president on the phone? But they are definitely NOT cool about all this situation. It's a major blunder for the country who started this war under "push NATO away" slogan.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2022-05-15 at 06:28 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

and
    I mean, they can't do anything about it. So claiming its a threat and cannot be allowed just makes them look weaker when they don't prevent it from happening.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantomen View Post
    NATO must give Putin a price for best recruter for NATO.
    Already done!

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Still, the mild response is odd to say the least.
    No its totaly logic, Russia have try to scare Sweden and Finland to not join NATO, by harsh words and mock nuclear strikes. It failed. To continue the sabre-rattling is counterproductive, becuse if the sabre-rattling "succeed" Sweden and Finland will demand NATO troops, and maybe even NATO nuclear wepons. Hence aggravate the Russian strategic position, so Russia change tactic and try to play nice toward Sweden and Finland, so they do not demand NATO troops.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Already done!
    That was fast..... ; )

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantomen View Post
    No its totaly logic, Russia have try to scare Sweden and Finland to not join NATO, by harsh words and mock nuclear strikes. It failed. To continue the sabre-rattling is counterproductive, becuse if the sabre-rattling "succeed" Sweden and Finland will demand NATO troops, and maybe even NATO nuclear wepons. Hence aggravate the Russian strategic position, so Russia change tactic and try to play nice toward Sweden and Finland, so they do not demand NATO troops.
    Eh, Sweden has already said they'll apply but they don't want Nukes or Nato bases on Swedish soil. As for the carrot, putin is not really the carrot kinda guy. Finland will most likely host bases as they already do training on Finnish soil so that would just make it easier. Niinistö has a reasonable working relationship with putin though so it could very well been a base level of cordiality. (as far as I know putin had told Niinistö he could always call him whenever he wanted the last time they spoke before last Saturday.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadwen View Post
    are they all just drunk over there at this point???
    Are they trying to pass them as Russian? I mean, they have already called dips on Columbus, Latin alphabet, Genghis Khan, and the discovery and colonization of South America.

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/statu...295747?lang=en
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

10+ Year Old Account

Bonnie and Clyde photo bizarrely shown at Russia’s World War II celebration
    That's bad... but not as bad as Russia using a picture of WW2 Ukrainian pilot Petro Dziuba in a poster for their May 9th celebration this year, even as they bomb the town in which he grew up and the cemetery in which he's buried.
    A Russian poster celebrating Victory Day on May 9 depicts a Soviet pilot. The photo was published by Russian journalist Tatiana Felgenhauer.

This pilot is a Ukrainian Petro Dziuba, who fought in World War II and shot down 16 German planes. He was born in Kostiantynivka in the Donetsk region and lived in Kharkiv, where he died in 1965. One of Kharkiv's avenues is named after him. Both Kostiantynivka and Kharkiv suffered significantly from Russian shelling in 2022.

Dziuba was buried in Kharkiv's G10 Cemetery, one of the nine bombed by the Russian army.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Bonnie and Clyde photo bizarrely shown at Russia’s World War II celebration

There's a lot more. Pictures where they photoshopped the Soviet flag over the US flag at Iwo Jima, pictures from 40's brand logos and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    India is on Russia's "side" in that they need military equipment, fuel, and food that they aren't as able to easily replace as other countries. And the military equipment isn't to deter "the west," it's to deter China and Pakistan.

They don't give a flying fuck about Russia or NATO or "tampering western interests."

I'm sorry did the USA tell Russia to invade Ukraine?

Russia is to blame for this entire affair. Full stop.

The US didn't make it happen. The US is supporting Ukraine because it's in the US' interests, Just like how it's in the EU's interests, to see a hostile foreign nation who has invested heavily in international political subterfuge, interference and violent expansionist tendencies run by an autocratic dictator smacked down.

And even if you view that self-interest cynically, the US' and EU's interests at this moment happen to be working to save innocent lives, punish insolent invaders, and help a country maintain its own sovereignty. So their interests currently align with what is "right." Russia chose to invade in a deluded attempt to rebuild the USSR. Ukraine chose to fight for their freedom, and it's a fight worth supporting.

Whataboutism isn't going to help you here. This is Russia's war, Russia's war crimes, Russia's collapsed economy, Russia's dead soldiers and Russia's ongoing train wreck.
    Seems like a pretty obvious troll tbh. Claims half the globe is on Russia's side, yet the UN resolution was 141 for condemnation, 35 abstaining, and 5 against. "Half the globe" my ass. Not even half the globe is neutral, let alone on Russia's side.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well here we go.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by korijenkins View Post
    Seems like a pretty obvious troll tbh. Claims half the globe is on Russia's side, yet the UN resolution was 141 for condemnation, 35 abstaining, and 5 against. "Half the globe" my ass. Not even half the globe is neutral, let alone on Russia's side.
    Like half the global population since China + India are what now ? 3 billions or 4 combined ? Then you add Africa country which have no love for westerners.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Well here we go.

That's a nice pincer they have there, just finish that off and then cross the river and south to Izyum via Kupiansk would be a good idea I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by korijenkins View Post
    To be fair, the countries of half the world's population abstained or voted "no".

Not that I disagree with your point.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    Like half the global population since China + India are what now ? 3 billions or 4 combined ? Then you add Africa country which have no love for westerners.
    That doesn't mean that they are on Russia's side - because they have a greater understanding of the cost of war, and who is at fault:

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    That's a nice pincer they have there, just finish that off and then cross the river and south to Izyum via Kupiansk would be a good idea I guess.
    Ukraine also have more long-shooting artillery now so it seems that they can target the supply lines to Izyum from the re-gains in the counter-offensive, even without advancing further.