Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

The story won't be good again until

Steve Danuser is sacked. After BFA and Shadowlands screw ups in the lore and don't get me started on how they screwed up Arthas and Sylvanas. I don't think Dragon Flight's lore is going to be good as long as this guy is lead helm in the story department.

Remember when it was Ghostcrawler or Metzen who were blamed for everything and people said the game wouldn't be good again until they were gone?
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Legends303 View Post
    Steve Danuser is sacked. After BFA and Shadowlands screw ups in the lore and don't get me started on how they screwed up Arthas and Sylvanas. I don't think Dragon Flight's lore is going to be good as long as this guy is lead helm in the story department.
    The thing is, you can think one way, and then it turns out completely different once it actually comes out. Until then, nobody knows. But, since you've made your mind up already that the lore for something that hasn't been released yet is trash, it would be difficult to get you to change your mind, even if it proves to be really good.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

The story won't be good again until Blizzard stops caring how people view it through the faction lens. The good story that fueled WoW's meteoric success from launch through Wrath all came from the RTS games in which players played as all factions through the story campaigns. Blizzard either needs to stop development on WoW and advance the story through a new RTS endeavor or they need to craft lore and stories without caring who thinks their faction is being wronged.

Think about how Arthas's story would have been received had it been delivered through WoW. It would have been Sylvanas 0.5. Alliance players would have cried that their beloved prince was being taken away and turned into a villain. Conversely, I believe Sylvanas's WoW story development would have been far better received in the faction agnostic environment of a Warcraft RTS game.

Except we haven't gotten anything 100% Danuser until Dragonflight, BfA was all Afrasiabi fallout, and Shadowlands moreso. Everything else has been picking up the pieces. That said, I'm not a fan of Danuser myself, but I'm slightly hopeful, as thin as that thread is at this point.
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

"May the Goddess smile upon you."

"Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Remember when it was Ghostcrawler or Metzen who were blamed for everything and people said the game wouldn't be good again until they were gone?
    Difference is that those two never gave off the same pretentious aura that Danuser does

Eh, as much as I am not a fan I am willing to give him one more shot with Dragonflight.

Although its also important to remember that he didn't personally write every aspect of the Shadowlands. A lot of other bad writers working on that story.

That assumes a course changes after X leaves. If anything, they doubled down on GC's shitty design.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

Quote Originally Posted by Skirdus View Post
    Difference is that those two never gave off the same pretentious aura that Danuser does
    It's almost like confirmation bias is a thing. That people imagine the ones they don't like as more negative than they are or even make up things about them to justify to themselves that they're right not liking that thing. Sounds like this whole forum, actually.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Feanoro View Post
    That assumes a course changes after X leaves. If anything, they doubled down on GC's shitty design.
    Considering there were SO MANY things GC did you're gonna have to be more specific. Cause right now you're pretty much calling half the game shitty.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

It's almost like confirmation bias is a thing. That people imagine the ones they don't like as more negative than they are or even make up things about them to justify to themselves that they're right not liking that thing. Sounds like this whole forum, actually.

- - - Updated - - -

Considering there were SO MANY things GC did you're gonna have to be more specific. Cause right now you're pretty much calling half the game shitty.
    Yeah everyone knew the reason Mages never got Nerfed was because Ghostcrawler mained one come to find out he actually mained a priest.

@cparle87 I eagerly await some new fresh concept from your next post. Maybe something about only five star chefs have any right to criticize food?

You don't understand critics, and I don't understand being unpaid PR for a huge corporation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    it will never be good again because the people making the game don't have a passion for the game like the originals do. Danuser might be an idiot but the biggest issue with him is that he's a shill.

So long as they keep tunnelvisioning on characters rather than taking their whole world into account it's gonna remain an inconsistent mess, Danuser or not.

Can't say i know exactly for what parts he's responsible, but if he is indeed behind the BfA Sylvanas stuff then yes that would qualify for a paddlin'.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

I fully admit I was one of those people (granted I was also a kid that was like 15 years ago I was saying that shit) but at the very least with their crazy balancing, is that they actually made the game fun with the chaos.

Like sure I was bitching about patches and nerfs never coming and when they did I was mad about one thing or another. But there’s a massive difference here. When I was mad about those balancing issues, I was still enjoying myself. Now I just literally quit the game

10+ Year Old Account
    Danuser wasn't even responsible for the last few expansions. Afrasiabi was and he used his control to slap down Danuser and the other writers when they spoke against his story direction.

If Danuser was in charge I doubt the tree would have burned or Sylvanas would have been set up as the bad guy at all we probably would have got a war expansion more in line with the Cinematic.

Removing Danuser isn't gonna fix anything. In fact, it might just make things worse.

When Afrasiabi was in charge, he had a direction all planned out and wanted Sylvanas to be a full-on bad guy. That was his original goal until his termination and was probably setting up stuff for Shadowlands like having the Primus be the original Jailor and Sylvanas joining forces with him. This would explain that one screenshot of those ghosts ships suddenly appearing in Stormwind Harbor that went around.

After he was fired (or rather he "mysteriously left the company") the job fell into Danuser's hands... unfortunately, Danuser didn't share the same end goal as Afrasiabi or knew what ideas Afrasiabi had.. or that he had to change gears and deviate from Afrasiabi's plan into something else. Possibly to avoid association with Afrasiabi regarding the scandals that he left behind. Hence why the Jailer and Shadowlands became what it is now.

Now that Danuser is in full control.. He's the one laying the groundwork for Dragonflight. Changing him out NOW, would be a repeat of someone changing Danuser's original plan into something else that makes no sense what so ever.

I'm not a fan of Danuser's changes especially the directional shift that Sylvanas went through, he wanted to absolve her of her sins but the sins were too great to sway public opinion in wanting her gone. HOWEVER... If he's responsible for the direction of Dragonflight and he decided to quit, midway through the expansion like Afrasiabi did then the story would change drastically like what happened in BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Eh, as much as I am not a fan I am willing to give him one more shot with Dragonflight.

Although its also important to remember that he didn't personally write every aspect of the Shadowlands. A lot of other bad writers working on that story.
    If shadow was intended as having a lot of bread crumbs for future expansions to build off and come off as more cohesive with past, there'd also have to be an incredible amount of crap ontop of it to make it an expansion. They got rid of dead concepts, its over.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You can fire whoever you want but until you hire competent writers who establish a long-term plan for the lore and narrative we'll just be back here recycling the same schtick in a year.

Or, maybe the opposite. A lot of folks seem to think WoW started going downhill in Cata, and the bridge between Cata and MoP was the first time there was any sort of real immediate lore connection between expansions, and they kept carrying on from there. So maybe this Dragonflight thing is exactly what we need; a return to random nonsense where WoW has historically thrived. Throw that spaghetti at the wall, see what sticks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

But when was the story actually 'good'? The last time I really cared about the story was in WotLK

BfA wasn't bad if you pretended Sylvanas didn't exist. Shadowlands was just bad overall though.