Putin is going full Hitler. You never go full Hitler.

Sadly I can already see the result after all this is done now, the Russian revisionism claiming that it was Putin's interference that prevented them winning, just like all teh Nazi apologists claim that if Hitler hadn't interfered in the running of the war then the Germans would have won.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I reckon Ukraine could give him an answer to this...
    I mean, it's not surprise that he's basically repeating the Trump talking points on this.

It's no wonder that Tucker Carlson is apparently actively promoted for state-run Russian media given his talking points.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    It'd be a pretty easy career move for him, going over to Russia, tbh. They'd love to have, I have no doubt. Then again, they're getting him for free right now, so...
    I mean, with the Russian economy going the way it is, I don't think Tucker is willing to give up all the creature comforts to go be with his Vladdy.

Ukraine has released captured paperwork form the 1st Guards Tank Army which had listed there losses by March 15. Two months old, but the losses they had taken at the start are still very high - 61 KIA, 44 MIA, 209 WIA, 96 taken POW. 308 lost vehicles, including 131 tanks in just the first 3 weeks.
    Last edited by Corvus; 2022-05-17 at 12:59 AM.

Well, Russian roads are about to get even more dangerous. Due to foreign manufacturers pulling out, Russian companies have been given permission to make cars without such safety features as airbags and ABS.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jason_cor...99887763083269

It's back to Lada's for everyone.

- - - Updated - - -

The only apparently sane man on Russian state TV is back, delivering some more truths. Even smacks down the sour-faced bloodthirsty bitch a few times as well. Amongst other things, he says Russia shouldn't be sabre-rattling towards Finland because it is just seen as amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    How am I rewriting it? They posed it as a question, not a statement, for starters, and then it was a range from 3-4 billion. As I said, the 2.8 billion of China + India is certainly close enough to that range not to warrant your unhinged screeching.

Besides, as was also mentioned, China + India are only two of the 40 countries involved, and the overall point was that the combined total is more than half the world's population.

Your farcical attempts to rewrite the math belie this statement. But sure, we can backpedal from your pointless pedantry for the sake of actual meaningful discussion.

Who said it was personal? I'm just calling out someone blatantly making shit up and being nonconstructive. If you don't like it, try having a valid point next time.

We can just move on from this.
    A simple google would remove the need to question it, also he wrote China and India, nothing else, which you changed.

It's obvious that you're either having a terrible week or simply projecting.

Also the point was, made up numbers are useless as an argument, somehow you got it but at the same time not.

And I agree in your final conclusion. Not interested in debating with someone who's entry is simple insults. The ignore button is there for a reason, thankfully.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Well, Russian roads are about to get even more dangerous. Due to foreign manufacturers pulling out, Russian companies have been given permission to make cars without such safety features as airbags and ABS.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jason_cor...99887763083269

It's back to Lada's for everyone.

- - - Updated - - -

The only apparently sane man on Russian state TV is back, delivering some more truths. Even smacks down the sour-faced bloodthirsty bitch a few times as well. Amongst other things, he says Russia shouldn't be sabre-rattling towards Finland because it is just seen as amusing.
    Suddenly this might become relevant again

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    A simple google would remove the need to question it, also he wrote China and India, nothing else, which you changed.
    Nah, bruv.

Let's refresh your memory:
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    Like half the global population since China + India are what now ? 3 billions or 4 combined ? Then you add Africa country which have no love for westerners.
    That reads as "It's more than half the global population because China and India get you close, and the rest of the countries (including a bunch of African countries) will put you over the halfway mark."

It was always more than just China and India. The only thing you continue to get hung up on, which is so completely irrelevant to the point being made, is that China and India are only 2.8b, rather than within the 3b-4b range that was not even a statement, but a question.

Googling wasn't even really all that important, because whether or not China + India got over 3b is far, far less relevant than the overall combined population of all the countries that voted "no" or abstained, which, as I said, tallies 4.17b.

At no point did that post claim that China + India alone were more than half the world population.

Also the point was, made up numbers are useless as an argument, somehow you got it but at the same time not.
    Nope, I got it.

The only person making up numbers was you. Glad you acknowledge that your post was useless.

And I agree in your final conclusion. Not interested in debating with someone who's entry is simple insults. The ignore button is there for a reason, thankfully.
    Actually, while you made up numbers, I actually posted factual numbers. One of those is constructive and the other is not.

But I guess you'll just handwave those as "simple insults" and hide behind your Ignore button.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Nah, bruv.

Let's refresh your memory:

That reads as "It's more than half the global population because China and India get you close, and the rest of the countries (including a bunch of African countries) will put you over the halfway mark."

It was always more than just China and India. The only thing you continue to get hung up on, which is so completely irrelevant to the point being made, is that China and India are only 2.8b, rather than within the 3b-4b range that was not even a statement, but a question.

Googling wasn't even really all that important, because whether or not China + India got over 3b is far, far less relevant than the overall combined population of all the countries that voted "no" or abstained, which, as I said, tallies 4.17b.

At no point did that post claim that China + India alone were more than half the world population.

Nope, I got it.

The only person making up numbers was you. Glad you acknowledge that your post was useless.

Actually, while you made up numbers, I actually posted factual numbers. One of those is constructive and the other is not.

But I guess you'll just handwave those as "simple insults" and hide behind your Ignore button.
    I'll honor you with a simple reply, since you can't seem to let go of petty squabbles.

The population argument is completely irrelevant in the first place, why? Because while a country's goverment speaks on behalf of the country, they do not represent the opinion of every single citizen. I'm sure your president does not represent your opinion at all times.

So we're back to the pointless "x billion people is on russias side", since you're arguing for the fact that half the worlds population is on Russias side, it's on you to present that fact, which is in fact impossible.

And again, a simple google would have removed the need to put up a question, which simply is an escape for inflating a number by more than 25%.

Now you're more than welcome to stay in your "U DID A WRONG AND I INTERNETOWNT U ON IT!!1" track if you want to, but while I seem to feed into your idea of owning people on the internet, you provide nothing that resembles an intelligent discussion for me, which is why the ignore button is a lovely tool.

Now please do go on with projecting your insecurities.
    Last edited by Crispin; 2022-05-17 at 04:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    even the dogs are defecting https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status...52701220528128

looks like a good boi

Do Russians really want to die so putin and his cronies can live like kings with million dollar yachts while they get robbed at every opportunity . You have to wonder when the Russian army will down tools.
    Yes they do. Russians hate westerners. They'd happily make their dictators and elites more wealthy and die in the process if it gave them a chance to kill one. The pinned post on their subreddit is literally an angry rant with a fair amount of support calling for all westerners to be hanged and executed, so it's not really generalizing to say this.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The continuing claim it’s a pyrrhic victory would belie that statement. It’s not. Yes, they got beat up. That doesn’t in any way mean it’s coming at too high a cost. Which is the only interpretation of pyrrhic. It’s the same as being defeated when you say it’s a pyrrhic victory. That’s fucking bullshit.
    When you call something a pyrrhic victory (a success that comes with great losses or unacceptable costs), it's often used as slight hyperbole. In this instance, even if the Ukrainians win thousands are dead (civilian and military), an unknown number of human rights abuses have been committed (incl. rape, targeting of civilians and civilian infrastructure, etc.), many cities are in ruin, infrastructure has been destroyed, and the largest humanitarian crisis in recent times has occurred. Winning will not undo all the things mentioned, but they will be free. The cost will be extreme, but they will have autonomy and the chance to rebuild.

Saying that @Jastall was implying the Ukrainians shouldn't fight is a very bad faith interpretation.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

Quote Originally Posted by Magical Mudcrab View Post
    When you call something a pyrrhic victory (a success that comes with great losses or unacceptable costs), it's often used as slight hyperbole. In this instance, even if the Ukrainians win thousands are dead (civilian and military), an unknown number of human rights abuses have been committed (incl. rape, targeting of civilians and civilian infrastructure, etc.), many cities are in ruin, infrastructure has been destroyed, and the largest humanitarian crisis in recent times has occurred. Winning will not undo all the things mentioned, but they will be free. The cost will be extreme, but they will have autonomy and the chance to rebuild.

Saying that @Jastall was implying the Ukrainians shouldn't fight is a very bad faith interpretation.
    I think the more salient point is that the term Pyrrhic Victory, most specifically when it comes to a war, is a term to be used exclusively for the aggressor of any engagement.

10+ Year Old Account
    There won't be any other victory for this war for either side anyway, so it's a moot point.

At most they can hope to reduce the upcoming losses with Russia coming to its senses and cutting some sort of deal there, which I am sure eventually they will do once they finish huffing them drugs they are on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    There won't be any other victory for this war for either side anyway, so it's a moot point.

At most they can hope to reduce the upcoming losses with Russia coming to its senses and cutting some sort of deal there, which I am sure eventually they will do once they finish huffing them drugs they are on.
    If Putler backs down he will be admitting he got tens of thousands of Russian soldiers killed or maimed for nothing and that risks costing him his power and his life.

Putler does not give a damn about the Russian people and would happily get hundreds of thousands killed to protect himself and his own ego.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    If Putler backs down he will be admitting he got tens of thousands of Russian soldiers killed or maimed for nothing and that risks costing him his power and his life.

Putler does not give a damn about the Russian people and would happily get hundreds of thousands killed to protect himself and his own ego.
    Eh, the full evacuation of Azovstal *might* give him a bit of wiggle room: Full control of Mariupol and Azov Battalion removed, it is spinnable as a victory.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post

There is a limit to how long or hard he can go, eventually he will be forced to make some sort of deal.

He's going to grab some more Lugansk area, dig in and negotiate. I think it's pretty close to happening too, the whole Azovstal thing might be a precursor.

Also, he's not Stalin and these are not 40s. He can't execute his own people in droves for dodging or not following orders. He might have wished he could, but he can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    There is a limit to how long or hard he can go, eventually he will be forced to make some sort of deal.

He's going to grab some more Lugansk area, dig in and negotiate. I think it's pretty close to happening too, the whole Azovstal thing might be a precursor.

Also, he's not Stalin and these are not 40s. He can't execute his own people in droves for dodging or not following orders. He might have wished he could, but he can't.
    Why he couldn't? Russia is authoritarian country sliding into dictatorship. "Removing" failures is not impossible for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Why he couldn't? Russia is authoritarian country sliding into dictatorship. "Removing" failures is not impossible for them.
    Because nowadays, you can't make that much people disappear without someone noticing. Maybe in North Korea, they can, but not in Russia, not yet, they are not that closed to the outside world.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    I was going to ask if they were any good, but this is Eurovision. Being good seems completely irrelevant when it comes to winning.
    Some data analysts had looked at Eurovision before and concluded that you cannot win on sympathy alone and sympathy votes really only affect the middle of the pack; the good ones will still be on top and bad ones will still be at the bottom.

This year, Ukraine was in fourth place after the jury awarded points and before viewer's votes were tallied.

It would be hilarious if Ukraine pulled a counter invasion and started annexing Russian territory for taking Crimea.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Some data analysts had looked at Eurovision before and concluded that you cannot win on sympathy alone and sympathy votes really only affect the middle of the pack; the good ones will still be on top and bad ones will still be at the bottom.

This year, Ukraine was in fourth place after the jury awarded points and before viewer's votes were tallied.
    Ukraine got 439 televotes and the 2nd placed UK had 466 points in total.
    28 jury points was all they needed to secure the win. which would have been 19th out of 25 in jury votes.

Normally sympathy votes alone will not give you a win.

This year was different.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    It would be hilarious if Ukraine pulled a counter invasion and started annexing Russian territory for taking Crimea.
    Funny tho it would be that would result in Russia throwing the kitchen sink at Ukraine.
    Lets not open that can of worms.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death