Thread: Elden Ring

Glass cannon applies to like sub level 80-90 where you have mainly focused on main stat ignoring every other stat.

Doesnt take long before you're putting points into stamina/vigor because even spells use stamina so theres no point rocking 10 endurance and wearing full cloth.

Its a rather moot point however because unless you're level 16 vigor and wondering why fire giant is one shotting you eventually you're gonna be in new game plus where you can have max vigor and hefty poise with dragonshield talisman and the mountaintop of the giants death birth is still gonna wreck your shit because of the way scaling works.
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2022-05-15 at 06:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    wall of text
    So, to keep it short; you weren't complaining.

Good, considering this is the easiest souls game ever released, by any standard. Also the best souls game, imo.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Glass cannon applies to like sub level 80-90 where you have mainly focused on main stat ignoring every other stat.

Doesnt take long before you're putting points into stamina/vigor because even spells use stamina so theres no point rocking 10 endurance and wearing full cloth.

Its a rather moot point however because unless you're level 16 vigor and wondering why fire giant is one shotting you eventually you're gonna be in new game plus where you can have max vigor and hefty poise with dragonshield talisman and the mountaintop of the giants death birth is still gonna wreck your shit because of the way scaling works.
    I think DS1 was the only game where defensive builds were quite powerful and worth pursuing. After that From decided to mostly nuke poise and Elden Ring's lategame scaling makes putting points in Vigor an absolute necessity, not any kind of luxury, unless you're an Ongbal level player that just doesn't get hit. I have a bit of a suspicion that the damage in Dark Souls games didn't scale up so absurdly because they all had HP reduction mechanism from death, but probably balanced enemy damage around the player not having maximum possible HP so that being human/embered/etc was an advantage. Sekiro had something broadly similar with resurrections, which also served as a do-over in case you made a critical mistake that cascaded into death. Elden Ring has no such mechanic so they went to town making everything slap you super hard. That's just my theory however.

Yes, before anyone starts, I did see Ironpineapple's video where he beats the game as Heavy load, but he also has an encyclopedic knowledge of the game already and he had to cheese Malenia regardless. He's not even close to being representative of most players.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

I did like in DS1 going full Havel and tanking bosses. Only did it with the 4 Kings and Artorias, but it was fun. While poise is kind of back in ER, it can certainly be noticeable, I went with high poise in one of my playthroughs (100+, can't remember the exact amount, think it was 115) and could stay on my feet after certain attacks, it was nothing compared to DS1.

On NG+7 now, playing around with builds, when exploring I like to play it safe with a shield, however using more spells now, mainly incantations. Though I have to say, the envoys longhorn lol, especially against dragons. Was using blasphemous blade in Stormveil, bit of a mistake in certain areas, accidentally blowing stuff up due to the fire damage was funny to start with then got annoying. 265 hours now. Not played a single player game like this ever. Still finding new shit. Trying to do everything this playthrough (except FF). Though when I see gargoyle type bosses, I want to skip them. The whole "I am here, now I am over here, come catch me, aha, now I am over there and stuck on a ledge where you can't melee me" got stale in NG+2. Same with the dragons "oh, you are behind me, well look, I fly over there, oh, now you caught up, now I fly over there! can't kill me if you can never get in range of me!". Yea, I get it, they are dragons, it makes sense. Still annoying as fuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Restarting a new run i noticed something. The four characters other than marika that make the biggest changes in the world, loux, goldmask, gideon and you are all shown as dead. Labelled "the dead that yet live". We know from in game that being tarnished is a form of excommunication and theres more than one punishment such as the tarnished harpies who are infertile but it feels like on replay with context that someone marked by the death tarnishing is the one who gets put in a position to change things rather than keep the stagnation going.

Maybe thats a cycle thing but given the whole ingame "to be marked by death is to lose all you care of" and the state of the npcs questlines almost across the board when you help people i wonder if the point is that the grace specifically targets people who are destined to lose their earthly connections?
    I don't follow the lore or know much about it.

From playing the game I thought this.

When the war with the giants ended, and Godfrey lost the gold in his eyes, Marika banished him and his soldiers. These tarnished exiles were destined to meet true death when in exile(by design), but after death, the erdtree would bring them back and they would be able to return, no longer banished. This is our character, the tarnished, returning after exile and true death, brought back to life(and now hopefully strong enough from our many battles in exile and without grace(which has supposedly hardened the tarnished and improved their combat ability) to complete Marika's plans).

The motivation was to harden the tarnished and improve their fighting ability, so that one would be able to beat all the bosses.

Kinda like The Wall in GoT. These tarnished won the war to stop the giants and end their threat of burning the tree, but their only reward was exile to an endless war outside the lands between(think retired judges walking the cursed earth in Judge Dredd), gracelessness, and death, with only the promise of being brought back to life and unbanished at some time in the future. The reason was to hone and harden their skills, so Marika's plan could finally take place. When our tarnished awakens at the beginning, that is the fulfillment of that promise of becoming unbanished, alive, and coming back hardened to take the iron throne, I mean, Elden Ring.

That may be 100000% completely wrong, lol, but that's what I got.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2022-05-17 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by segara82 View Post
    What build is not a glass cannon? I tried a mage with int 80 and vigor 50, and bosses still can two-shot me. Sure, i could farm the suicide-bird for another few hours to get vigor up to 60, but the damage output gets just ridiculous. And i haven't even proceded in the story after the Fire Giant.
    The kind that wears armor.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    I don't follow the lore or know much about it.

From playing the game I thought this.

When the war with the giants ended, and Godfrey lost the gold in his eyes, Marika banished him and his soldiers. These tarnished exiles were destined to meet true death when in exile(by design), but after death, the erdtree would bring them back and they would be able to return, no longer banished. This is our character, the tarnished, returning after exile and true death, brought back to life(and now hopefully strong enough from our many battles in exile and without grace(which has supposedly hardened the tarnished and improved their combat ability) to complete Marika's plans).

The motivation was to harden the tarnished and improve their fighting ability, so that one would be able to beat all the bosses.

Kinda like The Wall in GoT. These tarnished won the war to stop the giants and end their threat of burning the tree, but their only reward was exile to an endless war outside the lands between(think retired judges walking the cursed earth in Judge Dredd), gracelessness, and death, with only the promise of being brought back to life and unbanished at some time in the future. The reason was to hone and harden their skills, so Marika's plan could finally take place. When our tarnished awakens at the beginning, that is the fulfillment of that promise of becoming unbanished, alive, and coming back hardened to take the iron throne, I mean, Elden Ring.

That may be 100000% completely wrong, lol, but that's what I got.
    From watching lore videos, this seems like it is probably close to the truth. It wasn't simply the giants though, it was the storm lord and upon his defeat that Godfrey lost his grace. I don't think he was a giant, as he was in Limgrave (I think), and the giants were up north, though that is a small aside. From what I gathered, Marika came to believe that individuals could be strengthened by suffering, living and not dying, but to keep fighting, and through this struggle one would emerge strong. She also seems to have turned against the greater will and the golden order at some point. I think it is likely she wanted to overthrow the golden order and bring in a new age, and she would use the tarnished as part of this plan. It is also likely that she may have had a hand in the death of Godwyn, that she conspired with Ranni (e.g. telling her where the rune of death was), I don't know if their goals aligned perfectly or it was a case of my enemy's enemy, but I do think it likely that she aided Ranni. Whether killing Godwyn was part of that, I don't know.

I did hear an interesting theory that Godfrey was exiled because Marika and Godwyn had been having an affair, and Godwyn was the father of the omen twins, the incest being the reason for their curse. Not really enough solid to go on with this, but knowing GRRM, there might be something to that.

Quote Originally Posted by tehealadin View Post
    From watching lore videos, this seems like it is probably close to the truth. It wasn't simply the giants though, it was the storm lord and upon his defeat that Godfrey lost his grace. I don't think he was a giant, as he was in Limgrave (I think), and the giants were up north, though that is a small aside. From what I gathered, Marika came to believe that individuals could be strengthened by suffering, living and not dying, but to keep fighting, and through this struggle one would emerge strong. She also seems to have turned against the greater will and the golden order at some point. I think it is likely she wanted to overthrow the golden order and bring in a new age, and she would use the tarnished as part of this plan. It is also likely that she may have had a hand in the death of Godwyn, that she conspired with Ranni (e.g. telling her where the rune of death was), I don't know if their goals aligned perfectly or it was a case of my enemy's enemy, but I do think it likely that she aided Ranni. Whether killing Godwyn was part of that, I don't know.

I did hear an interesting theory that Godfrey was exiled because Marika and Godwyn had been having an affair, and Godwyn was the father of the omen twins, the incest being the reason for their curse. Not really enough solid to go on with this, but knowing GRRM, there might be something to that.
    pretty sure that godfrey is father of godwyn morgott and mohg, or at least the cinematic seems to imply that
    12/6/2009 -23/11/2020 rip little deathstalker Ferretti. proud forsaken, enemy of the livings

Quote Originally Posted by Ersula View Post
    The kind that wears armor.
    Armour in this game is a joke. My character wears Scale Armour, and still gets two-shot by bosses. I might as well switch back to my Astrologer set, then at least i could roll faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.

Quote Originally Posted by segara82 View Post
    Armour in this game is a joke. My character wears Scale Armour, and still gets two-shot by bosses. I might as well switch back to my Astrologer set, then at least i could roll faster.
    You really only want armor for poise. Many of the enemies attacks cannot cancel your attack and knock you down after certain break points. My first playthrought when the game launched. I did dual colossal sword and i had 67 poise by the end. My jumping attack could go uninterrupted in most situations, even against Rodagon id have enough poise to finish the hit before i get knocked down against some of his attacks.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2022-05-18 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by omeomorfismo View Post
    pretty sure that godfrey is father of godwyn morgott and mohg, or at least the cinematic seems to imply that
    Fairly sure too, however thought it was an interesting theory, more based on GRRM and his part works, nothing really solid in game to build it on.

Since I stopped playing Elden Ring I have not been able to get into any other games. I've tried, but just feel burned out. I haven't played a game since that really drew me in. I believe this has to do with the complexity level, length, and amount of mental energy I spent on Elden Ring. Someone used the term "Elden Ring Hangover" and I think it is really astute. I have it. I have no doubt it will subside, and I have felt this way with one other game(Personal 5 Royal) but it wasn't this bad. Either way, just thought it was interesting. I've been subbing in various TV shows during my gamning hours to cover the downtime, lol.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2022-05-25 at 07:12 PM.

Since I stopped playing Elden Ring I have not been able to get into any other games. I've tried, but just feel burned out. I haven't played a game since that really drew me in. I believe this has to do with the complexity level, length, and amount of mental energy I spent on Elden Ring. Someone used the term "Elden Ring Hangover" and I think it is really astute. I have it. I have no doubt it will subside, and I have felt this way with one other game(Personal 5 Royal) but it wasn't this bad. Either way, just thought it was interesting. I've been subbing in various TV shows during my gamning hours to cover the downtime, lol.
    I understand your feelings. I played Jedi Fallen Order, and it was good, but compared with Elden Ring... So now I am playing Elden Ring again! And enjoying it a lot, already finding stuff that I left unexplored even if I got the platinum on my first playthrough. But cannot wait for the DLCs man.
    Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Same here, I tried playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey but I just felt like a math PhD attending kindergarten math class playing it.

I eventually gave up on it. Gonna take a while before Elden Ring fades out from memory, until that time basically every videogame will subconsciously be compared to it and fall short, and I will be disappointed.

I will pick up Outer Wilds next whenever I feel like it, heard exceptional things about it.

Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    You really only want armor for poise. Many of the enemies attacks cannot cancel your attack and knock you down after certain break points. My first playthrought when the game launched. I did dual colossal sword and i had 67 poise by the end. My jumping attack could go uninterrupted in most situations, even against Rodagon id have enough poise to finish the hit before i get knocked down against some of his attacks.
    What's the Poise cap for the endgame?

Level 70 STR Build. Been doing the colossal weapons builds but i've recently found dual greaswords to be better. with erdtree's favor and the talisman from killing the jar champions, i can even put on a greatshield to switch with my left greatsword.

10+ Year Old Account
    is it worth buying elden ring right now or wait for a discount? there hasnt been one yet, do u think there will be summer sale including elder ring in june? should i wait 1 month more or it wont happen anyway, so im better off buying the game now?
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    is it worth buying elden ring right now or wait for a discount? there hasnt been one yet, do u think there will be summer sale including elder ring in june? should i wait 1 month more or it wont happen anyway, so im better off buying the game now?
    Elden Ring was one of my rare full price purchases (it and Hades are the last ones I recall in recent memory). Without a doubt was worth it to me personally. As hyped as this game is you may have to wait til Black Friday sales to catch a steep discount.

Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    Elden Ring was one of my rare full price purchases (it and Hades are the last ones I recall in recent memory). Without a doubt was worth it to me personally. As hyped as this game is you may have to wait til Black Friday sales to catch a steep discount.
    They've already had it on legit websites for 45 bucks, don't see why there wouldn't be someplace with it on sale over the summer.

10+ Year Old Account
    i decided to buy the game and try it. in worst case i can refund it within 2hrs. during the beta there was another class available that isnt here. wolf smth, he was medium armored with some kind of sword. why is that?

also does fighting with a katana and a bow in the other hand as a samurai make me have other moveset than without the bow? should i put it away or smth?
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    i decided to buy the game and try it. in worst case i can refund it within 2hrs. during the beta there was another class available that isnt here. wolf smth, he was medium armored with some kind of sword. why is that?

also does fighting with a katana and a bow in the other hand as a samurai make me have other moveset than without the bow? should i put it away or smth?
    the game was changed between the network test beta and full release, one such change was the removal of said class.

as for the weapon-related question:
    you have 3 options of how to use weapons.

1st is in one hand with anything else in the other hand.
    that way, you get the regular 1-hand moveset.
    using R1 and R2 will use your right-hand weapon, L1 uses your left-hand weapon.

2nd is holding the weaon in both hands, done by holding Triangle and pressing R1 for the right-hand weapon or Triangle+L1 for left-hand weapons.

3rd is holding a weapon of the same type in each hand (e.g. 2 katanas)
    this will give you the regular 1-handed R1 and R2 attacks, but by pressing L1 you get an attack with both hands, called powerstancing.

each of those has their own advantages and weaknesses, learning when to use which is part of the fun of the game.
    Last edited by Narzok; 2022-05-31 at 09:15 AM.
    The above mentioned remarks, ideas and notions are simply my thought on this topic. I do not wish to aggravate, denounce or criticize anyone who, for whatever reason, may disagree.