Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Probably too A-list at this point, and they couldn't afford him with a BBC budget.

Personally I cultivate a sick dream of Ricky Gervais as a swearing Doctor who loves animals and just tells everyone else to fuck off.
    wasn't Hugh Grant in the running to be the next Doctor? he'd be considered A-list. also totally agree on Ricky, that would be hilarious

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably too A-list at this point, and they couldn't afford him with a BBC budget.

Personally I cultivate a sick dream of Ricky Gervais as a swearing Doctor who loves animals and just tells everyone else to fuck off.
    My fantasy Doctor is Rupert Grint..Finally he can be a ginger

Is Rupert Grint a good actor? I didn't think he'd done anything after HP.

Stood in the Fire Chromeshellking's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Provided good and I mean good writing, this is a live or die last ditch chance.

They screw it up? Pretty sure Who is gonna get scrapped. They pull a DT level charm, wit, happy go lucky to I forced the worst kind of immortality on four aliens and make their lives living hell and im happy.
    Fate is one you forge with your own two hands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Not sure but tbh but i get the feeling he'd be a good Doctor as it seems to fit into his overall wheelhouse(dude bought an ice cream truck to go around giving away ice cream..That is some doctor who shit already)

Soo i guess i feel like his real personality can carry him a bit here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Second that. I could totally see it. The goof. The hair. Sold.

The Doctor as a character by nature lends itself well to overacting. You don't need to be Daniel Day-Lewis to pull off this role; you do need to feel the vibe and have the charm.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I dropped doctor who for some reason I don’t remember at the end of the 11th doctors run but all the recent hubbub has gotten me interested again, any one got strong options on the 12/13th and rather they are worth watching before jumping into the new series when it’s out?
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    I dropped doctor who for some reason I don’t remember at the end of the 11th doctors run but all the recent hubbub has gotten me interested again, any one got strong options on the 12/13th and rather they are worth watching before jumping into the new series when it’s out?
    Honestly if you enjoyed the 10th/11th then you'll probably only be disappointed. It went downhill from the 11th... slowly at first, and then in complete freefall with #13.

It's a personal decision of course, but as for me, I can't find a reason to ever recommend watching the 12/13 stuff to anyone.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Honestly if you enjoyed the 10th/11th then you'll probably only be disappointed. It went downhill from the 11th... slowly at first, and then in complete freefall with #13.

It's a personal decision of course, but as for me, I can't find a reason to ever recommend watching the 12/13 stuff to anyone.
    Hmm Mabye I’ll give them the same treatment I gave the 9th and just watch a few episodes here and there skipping over most of the run.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by The Vindicator View Post
    But when you look at historically how competitive and difficult it was to get such a iconic role; and look at Gatwa's body of work - it's an extremely odd decision, he's only been in one popular show and even then; he's very young
    Have you watched Sex Education? Gatwa can do serious, and goofy. He can shout at the top of his lungs without his voice breaking. He can look earnest, and his smile can light up a room. He looks fit to, basically, RUN. I don't think he's an odd decision at all and I'm looking forward to his seasons. And I'm glad RTD is with the show again too.

That said, I really hoped Stephen Mangan would get the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    That said, I really hoped Stephen Mangan would get the job.
    Maybe it's just me, but he looks way too much like the 4th Doctor. There'd be no end to the comparisons.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    Smith's final season was pretty dire, he went full on OTT and the scripts were threadbare because the 50th wrecked Moffats time(alongside producing Sherlock).

However 12 is brilliant, honestly I thought he wouldn't be for me. Now my number one doctor. He goes through some real character progression. Season 8 is the Doctor stripped bare, in your face (shouting) but saving it as well, until he discovers who he is at the end. It's his identity crisis season ('Mummy on the Orient express' and 'Listen' are brill picks).

Season 9 is quite possibly the best series of New Who, beating out Smith's first season and Tennant's last (with Donna). Capaldi is on top form, the stories are strong (with one exception in the sleep dust one), including the best episode in 'Heaven Sent'. People whine about the finale, though I'm really not sure why, it was a fitting ending for the development of his character.

Season 10 is pretty solid, great companions, more powerhouse performances from Capaldi ('Oxygen' is a the standout) and a return in places to the classic style of stretching stories over 3 eps.

Ooh and Michelle Gomez as the Master is just brilliant.

Moffat's Who was quite distinct from RTD's though. RTD's was very "soapy" in feel, tried to inject/reflect the banality of everyday life alongside adventures (plus all that romance). Moffat's was more big picture, wacky fantasy, (with some big failures, but big successes, he wasn't afraid to gamble), but both excelled at emotional highs and gut wrenching moments.

Chibnalls Who is just dire. The only good thing is the way it's shot. I wanted to enjoy it, I tried, but it's so poor. If i were Jodie, I'd be mighty pissed I got the dud writer running things. You'd be better off avoiding all of it.

Excited for the new series though!
    Last edited by narodnick; 2022-05-17 at 10:44 PM.

So we are getting a black transgender Rose Tyler.....
    https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...ant-pass-notes

Why do people think they need to recycle old characters all the time? Can't we just have, you know, NEW GOOD CHARACTERS?

And don't give me the whole "but it's time travel they can go back..." thing, that's nothing but a diegetic justification for writers pandering to nostalgia for hits.

Also isn't it a bit insulting to the idea of representation when you bring in diverse actors to retread old characters? Can't they stand on their own?

This would be fantastic...!

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Rupert Grint has done a few things post-Potter...

Not sure but tbh but i get the feeling he'd be a good Doctor as it seems to fit into his overall wheelhouse (dude bought an ice cream truck to go around giving away ice cream... That is some doctor who shit already)

Soo i guess i feel like his real personality can carry him a bit here.
    I have always loved the ice cream truck story...!

Second that. I could totally see it. The goof. The hair. Sold.
    Imagine Rupert Grint as The Doctor, with Emma Watson as his Companion, and Daniel Radcliffe as The Master...! ;^p
    Last edited by B01L; 2022-05-18 at 09:52 PM.

will the writing improve? will the characters actualy be interesting and fun to watch? because I got bored with Dr Who midway through Matt Smith run and checking out later doctors for a bit did not convince me to come back to watching at all.

unpopular opinion - I hated that whole Rose/Tennant's dr love story. I found it annoying and I feel like it ended up shortchanging one of my fave "new who" companions - Martha Jones.

but aaaanyways. Dr. Who as far as I know always did try all sorts of new things so...

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Rose, not Rose Tyler.
    They changed it to Rose today if you scroll down. Said Rose Tyler yesterday. They corrected themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    unpopular opinion - I hated that whole Rose/Tennant's dr love story. I found it annoying and I feel like it ended up shortchanging one of my fave "new who" companions - Martha Jones.
    Honestly, I kind of have to agree. I think Bad Wolf was done great - but the love story felt forced. And damn right Martha Jones didn't get enough time, she was a kickass companion.

Honestly, I kind of have to agree. I think Bad Wolf was done great - but the love story felt forced. And damn right Martha Jones didn't get enough time, she was a kickass companion.
    IMO it was already seeded in the first season, I think she already fancied the 9th doctor even if it wasn't explicitly told.

That said, Martha was amazing too. Would have loved to see her longer and at first I didn't like Donna at all. Looking back now Donna is actually the best companian NuWho every had.

Reusing the name is bound to lead to comparisons and confusion, which means it's an odd choice to make if it isn't meant to be the same person.