Page 47 of 116 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Southern Californians told to reduce outdoor watering in 'unprecedented' order amid historic drought

Facing the "new reality" of extreme drought conditions caused by a "changing climate," Southern California officials are demanding businesses and residents in parts of Los Angeles, Ventura and San Bernardino counties cut outdoor watering to one day a week.

"This is a crisis. This is unprecedented. We have never done anything like this before and because we haven't seen this situation happen like this before, we don't have enough water to meet normal demands for the six million people living in the State Water Project dependent areas," said Adel Hagekhalil, general manager of the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California, noting that conservation needs to begin in earnest now since water usage typically increases during the summer months.

Metropolitan is calling on residents in its region to cut their water consumption by 35% to avoid a full ban on watering later in the summer.

"It takes 50% to 70% of (residents') water consumption, Hagekhalil said of outdoor watering, adding, "We are asking people to reduce that water almost by half, if not more."

Extremely dry conditions led the State Water Project to "dramatically reduce" the amount of water Metropolitan receives from the northern Sierra mountains by two-thirds, Hagekhalil said.

To this point, Metropolitan executive officer and assistant general manager Deven Upadhyay said the Department of Water Resources reduced its State Water Project allocation to just 5% of what it would normally receive for the second year in a row.

"This latest low allocation is coming in the third year of a drought and doesn't provide enough water to meet the minimum human safety and health needs that we would need in the State Water Project dependent areas," said Upadhyay.

The move comes as California faces persistent climate crisis-fueled dry conditions that have led to major water shortages, despite record snow in early winter.
    Last summer, the state saw its most severe drought in its 126-year record.

The new restrictions must be implemented by June 1, with water district member agencies expected to enforce them, said Rebecca Kimitch, program manager for the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California.

Some 6 million people live in the affected areas and rely on water piped down from Northern California. "If we don't do the actions that we need today to stretch our water...the Metropolitan board has given me the authority to ban all watering as soon as September first," Hagekhalil said.

The Los Angeles Department of Water and Power -- which has had watering restrictions for more than a decade -- will work with water district and city officials as the emergency drought regulations are finalized, it said, adding residential water use in its zone is already 111 gallons per day, among the lowest in the region.

"Additional water use restrictions should be balanced against the high level of conservation that has already been achieved by ... customers. Conserving water must be accomplished region wide," the agency told CNN in a statement.

Indeed, the issue goes beyond California. The federal government in August declared its first water shortage on the Colorado River, leading to mandatory water cuts for states in the Southwest.
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/27/us/ca...ons/index.html

Severe drought and mandatory water cuts are pitting communities against each other in Arizona

As the climate crisis intensifies, battle lines are beginning to form over water. In Arizona -- amid a decades-long megadrought -- some communities are facing the very real possibility of losing access to the precious water that remains.

Outside the city limits of Scottsdale, where the asphalt ends and the dirt road begins, is the Rio Verde Foothills community. Hundreds of homes here get water trucked in from Scottsdale, but those deliveries will end on January 1, 2023.

That's because last summer, for the first time ever, drought conditions forced the federal government to declare a tier 1 water shortage in the Colorado River, reducing how much Arizona can use.

Meredith Deangelis lives in the community, and the thought of losing access to water keeps her up at night. "Every time I brush my teeth, I think, 'Oh my gosh, I can't imagine that I'm not going to have water to brush my teeth,'" Deangelis told CNN.

Scottsdale's water department told CNN in an email that "Scottsdale has continued to be a good neighbor in allowing Rio Verde to temporarily use its water supply." The department said that due to the current water shortage, by law it "must dedicate its limited water supply to its residents."

Deangelis and her neighbors are hoping to find another water source to purchase for their homes, but in order to do that they must get certain approvals from their county, which has not happened yet.

"To think, I have this beautiful home and I'm not going to be able to live here because water is not going to be approved and provided to my home is just incredibly unnerving and stressful," Deangelis said.

On the western border of Arizona, acres of farmland are luring big-city investment firms to rural Cibola. The land there comes with water rights to the Colorado River, a prized possession in a drought-ravaged state.

Greenstone, a Phoenix-based investment firm, bought nearly 500 acres with the intent to sell the land's water allotment to Queen Creek, a growing Phoenix suburb about 200 miles away.

Holly Irwin, a district supervisor in La Paz County, home to Cibola, is fighting the plan. "We are what I call the 'sacrificial lamb' for the bigger areas," Irwin told CNN. "In my opinion, look somewhere else -- we need to be able to sustain ourselves."

The scarcity of water in the state is pitting small towns against fast-growing metropolitan communities. Queen Creek's utility director, Paul Gardner, says the community has a 100-year supply of groundwater, but he's planning for the decades beyond that to make sure the community will always have a sustainable water source. "We are looking at every possible volume of water that can be acquired and transferred legally in the state," Gardner said.

Grady Gammage, an attorney representing the Greenstone investment firm, told CNN that the water can be transferred to wherever the owner chooses.
    "It doesn't somehow default to communities on the river if it isn't transferred," Gammage said in an email. "The Cities along the river currently use less than half of their existing municipal entitlement. They can likely triple their population under their existing allocations before they would need to acquire additional water."

But Irwin argues if this one water transfer is allowed, it will open the door to many other large investment firms buying up the land and water rights in her community.
    "My main concern with all of this is the precedent that is setting, that is what's so scary," Irwin told CNN. "This water needs to remain here it was meant to remain here for future development."

Both communities say these water rights are key to their sustainability. The federal Bureau of Reclamation will make the final decision on whether to approve the water transfer. The agency did not respond to CNN's request for comment.

Democratic Sen. Elizabeth Warren from Massachusetts and Rep. Ro Khanna, a Democrat from California, recently introduced a bill aimed at preventing large corporations from profiting off water rights. "Water is a human right and Wall Street shouldn't be allowed to use this vital resource to make profits at the expense of hardworking Americans," Warren said in a statement.

Arizona's population growth and extreme drought have increased demand for water in limited supply. Kathleen Ferris, a senior research fellow with the Kyl Center for Water Policy in Arizona, says water scarcity in the state has resulted in the "haves" and the "have nots," and likened the coming water battles to the days of the Wild West. "Once you have your water rights, you defend it," Ferris said. "That's the way it works."

As the climate crisis continues unchecked, so, too, will the water wars in the nation's driest states.
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/30/us/ar...ate/index.html

I don't want to come off whatsoever as a denier or anything, but as for the water crisis in southwest U.S., that strikes me as less a direct result of climate change (as in, a worldwide climate change) and more the fact we have a giant-sized population in what is essentially a desert environment. Which takes everyone back to the forbidden topic of overpopulation. Vegas for example, another large city in a desert, taps 90% of their water from the Colorado river.

https://www.businessinsider.com/cali...ervoirs-2021-7
    "This current drought is potentially on track to become the worst that we've seen in at least 1,200 years. And the reason is linked directly to human-caused climate change," Kathleen Johnson, a paleoclimatologist at the University of California, Irvine, told The Guardian.

On Thursday, California Gov. Gavin Newsom asked residents to cut back on their water usage by 15% by taking shorter showers and running dishwashers and washing machines more sparingly
    I think this quote here, how she mentions human-caused climate change, is correct, in the sense that humans tapping underground aquifers beyond what the water cycle can manage until they dry out, would be considered changing the climate.

If I recall, we've a few years left before a point of no return or something.

Record heat has gripped India since March. It’s about to get worse.

March maximum temperatures were the highest in 122 years. Temperatures late this week could near April records.

Temperatures in India remain high amid ongoing heat waves that have plagued the country with dry, sweltering weather since early spring. The India Meteorological Department (IMD) stated that its March maximum temperatures were the highest in nearly a century and a quarter, and rainfall was only running about a quarter to a third of normal.

The sky-high temperatures exemplify the overlap between natural variability and the effects of human-caused climate change, which are known to make heat waves more intense and prolonged.

On Monday, several cities across the nation registered highs over 109 degrees (42.8 Celsius); the city of Wardha in the west-central state of Maharashtra soared to 113 degrees (45 Celsius).

Temperatures are forecast to rise further, leaping 10 to 15 degrees (5.5 to 8.3 Celsius) above average during the second half of this week, reigniting worry for those without any way to escape the heat. Portions of northern and western India, especially areas near the borders with Pakistan and Nepal, may endure the most extreme heat. That’s where highs may reach 110 to 115 degrees (44 to 46 Celsius) Wednesday and Thursday.

Between Friday and Sunday, temperatures could climb as high as 120 degrees (49 Celsius) if the most extreme forecast models are correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post

March maximum temperatures were the highest in 122 years. Temperatures late this week could near April records.

Temperatures in India remain high amid ongoing heat waves that have plagued the country with dry, sweltering weather since early spring. The India Meteorological Department (IMD) stated that its March maximum temperatures were the highest in nearly a century and a quarter, and rainfall was only running about a quarter to a third of normal.

The sky-high temperatures exemplify the overlap between natural variability and the effects of human-caused climate change, which are known to make heat waves more intense and prolonged.

On Monday, several cities across the nation registered highs over 109 degrees (42.8 Celsius); the city of Wardha in the west-central state of Maharashtra soared to 113 degrees (45 Celsius).

Temperatures are forecast to rise further, leaping 10 to 15 degrees (5.5 to 8.3 Celsius) above average during the second half of this week, reigniting worry for those without any way to escape the heat. Portions of northern and western India, especially areas near the borders with Pakistan and Nepal, may endure the most extreme heat. That’s where highs may reach 110 to 115 degrees (44 to 46 Celsius) Wednesday and Thursday.

Between Friday and Sunday, temperatures could climb as high as 120 degrees (49 Celsius) if the most extreme forecast models are correct.
    While it's impossible to pin down a precise date, the science is pretty clear we passed the "point of no return" in terms of GHG emissions back sometime between 2000-2010. Even the RCP 2.6 modelling from 2013's AR5 by the IPCC, where we assume that GHGs stop expanding in their use by 2020 (didn't happen), and are completely reduced to zero by 2100 (unrealistic to expect it to truly hit 0), the models still indicate permanent warming over earlier temperatures, though it'd flatten out about where we're at now, though some additional factors may complicate things (the decay of sea ice letting more solar energy soak into polar oceans, for instance). Chapter 12.5.5 if you want to look into it yourself.

RCP 2.6 is considered a model that's used only as a control, though. Even in 2013, nobody believed it was achievable. And I cite the AR5 only to show that this was the state of science in 2013. The AR6's physical science basis is effectively out but it's a bit of a nightmare to read; the text has been approved but it's still undergoing copyediting and not all graphics are included, but it's a little more negative. The most-likely projection is RCP 4.5, where emissions peak in 2040 and then globally decline, and under that projection, we're looking at between 2.5C-4.5C in temperature increase by 2300 (the bulk being by 2100). And that's the new forever-normal, the new stable point the world would balance around. Even RCP 2.6, the unrealistic one, says if we can cut emissions to zero by 2100, we might get away with "only" about 1.6C global warming permanently, over 1950s levels. (AR6, Chapter 4, particularly 4.7.1.2.1)

The time to prevent climate change was back in the '90s. We're well past that point, and now, it's about mitigating damage.

I'm not dropping direct links because anyone can google "IPCC AR5/AR6" and get there, and being more direct than that involves direct PDF links which make people angry because these aren't small PDFs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    I don't want to come off whatsoever as a denier or anything, but as for the water crisis in southwest U.S., that strikes me as less a direct result of climate change (as in, a worldwide climate change) and more the fact we have a giant-sized population in what is essentially a desert environment. Which takes everyone back to the forbidden topic of overpopulation. Vegas for example, another large city in a desert, taps 90% of their water from the Colorado river.

https://www.businessinsider.com/cali...ervoirs-2021-7

I think this quote here, how she mentions human-caused climate change, is correct, in the sense that humans tapping underground aquifers beyond what the water cycle can manage until they dry out, would be considered changing the climate.
    Yeah, agriculture in California accounts for the vast majority of water use in that state, something like 80% iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by wunksta View Post
    Yeah, agriculture in California accounts for the vast majority of water use in that state, something like 80% iirc.
    These constant drought conditions are impacting the food industry pretty hard as a result. We're having a similar problem in a few counties even in the Midwest with underground aquifers drying up, areas not known for drought conditions at all.

Quote Originally Posted by wunksta View Post
    Regardless of how much water is use by California agriculture, residential water usage can still go down. The average household water usage in CA, depending on the months, ranges between 80 to 120 gallons per person per day. San Francisco is the lowest at 40 gallons and San Diego second lowest at 45 gallons. So those numbers can go down a lot. I checked our HOA water bill, and our unit used 2,106 gallons for February/March. Which was about 35 gallons per person per day. Definitely we can reduce residential water use by quite a lot.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post

Interestingly, a fictional account of climate change and the world's reaction to catastrophes (Kim Stanley Robinson's "The Ministry For the Future") starts with a dramatic and catastrophic heat wave in India.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    While it's impossible to pin down a precise date, the science is pretty clear we passed the "point of no return" in terms of GHG emissions back sometime between 2000-2010. Even the RCP 2.6 modelling from 2013's AR5 by the IPCC, where we assume that GHGs stop expanding in their use by 2020 (didn't happen), and are completely reduced to zero by 2100 (unrealistic to expect it to truly hit 0), the models still indicate permanent warming over earlier temperatures, though it'd flatten out about where we're at now, though some additional factors may complicate things (the decay of sea ice letting more solar energy soak into polar oceans, for instance). Chapter 12.5.5 if you want to look into it yourself.

RCP 2.6 is considered a model that's used only as a control, though. Even in 2013, nobody believed it was achievable. And I cite the AR5 only to show that this was the state of science in 2013. The AR6's physical science basis is effectively out but it's a bit of a nightmare to read; the text has been approved but it's still undergoing copyediting and not all graphics are included, but it's a little more negative. The most-likely projection is RCP 4.5, where emissions peak in 2040 and then globally decline, and under that projection, we're looking at between 2.5C-4.5C in temperature increase by 2300 (the bulk being by 2100). And that's the new forever-normal, the new stable point the world would balance around. Even RCP 2.6, the unrealistic one, says if we can cut emissions to zero by 2100, we might get away with "only" about 1.6C global warming permanently, over 1950s levels. (AR6, Chapter 4, particularly 4.7.1.2.1)

The time to prevent climate change was back in the '90s. We're well past that point, and now, it's about mitigating damage.

I'm not dropping direct links because anyone can google "IPCC AR5/AR6" and get there, and being more direct than that involves direct PDF links which make people angry because these aren't small PDFs.
    Those mitigating damages options are going to be almost financially "impossible" for any one government to afford. The United States might be capable of leading a global effort, at some point, but given our divisive nature on reality (thank you GQP) that is highly unlikely, approaching "never going to happen".

I don't think we'll see dramatic movement towards repair and rejuvenation until the globe starts on a highly visual and impactful downward spiral, resulting in mass people migration, industries being dissolved, and some governments collapsing. Losing the USA's "bread basket" will be one.

Of course, we'll just have to wait and see. One thing I know for sure is that no one is doing anything now or in the near future to resolve the CO2 continual increase. Cracks me up when I see "personal recycling is the solution to climate change!".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Those mitigating damages options are going to be almost financially "impossible" for any one government to afford. The United States might be capable of leading a global effort, at some point, but given our divisive nature on reality (thank you GQP) that is highly unlikely, approaching "never going to happen".
    Oh, yeah, for sure. 100% impossible for a single government to "fix" all by themselves, realistically. In theory, we could talk about carbon-capture technologies/strategies, but those basically boil down to "spend hundreds of billions to trillions where your only real net gain is the reduction of global warming" if you want to hit meaningful degrees to offset the ongoing emissions. It's a price tag that's just not feasible given the global capitalist economy (an entirely different argument).

I don't think we'll see dramatic movement towards repair and rejuvenation until the globe starts on a highly visual and impactful downward spiral, resulting in mass people migration, industries being dissolved, and some governments collapsing. Losing the USA's "bread basket" will be one.
    As with everything, too, the impacts will be felt most directly and soonest by the global poor. And their suffering and hardship is likely to be just shrugged off, possibly with a little gasp of horror and some token charitable donations that do absolutely fuck-all to help anything but assuage the guilt of those responsible. Nobody's going to do anything meaningful if a million Indians die in a heat wave, or drought renders vast swaths of Mozambique completely uninhabitable, destroying the lives of millions more.

Of course, we'll just have to wait and see. One thing I know for sure is that no one is doing anything now or in the near future to resolve the CO2 continual increase. Cracks me up when I see "personal recycling is the solution to climate change!".
    Fun fact; the recycling craze was literally thought up by oil companies, as part of a long-term campaign to convince Westerners to focus on their personal responsibilities to the climate, and not focus on the ethical failings of the massive corporations who do the bulk of that harm.

Or the idea of one's "Carbon footprint", a propaganda tool in the same vein literally invented by BP oil for this purpose.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-e...-idUSKBN2EZ1EF
    https://grist.org/climate/recycling-...s-big-oil-lie/
    https://mashable.com/feature/carbon-...-campaign-sham

It's not an accident. It's an intentional and pre-planned attempt to mislead.

Edit: Which isn't to say "don't recycle". It's to say that the campaigning to push it focused on individual responsibility for a reason; oil companies wanted a struggling single mom to blame herself for chucking a plastic bit of packaging into the trash rather than a blue bin because then she's not blaming the oil companies for the millions of tons of CO2 they spew into the atmosphere.

7+ Year Old Account
    The Kurzgesagt channel on YouTube recently made a video about climate change and usually these kinds of videos are just about fear-mongering. In this case though they were actually pretty accurate and not biased by politics.

-----
    -----

Last edited by PC2; 2022-05-03 at 03:55 PM.

Fluke? Global warming? Doesn't matter, I guess. My nephew at UT Austin is looking forward to spending summer back home in San Francisco. The way he put it, even at night the temperature in Austin stays in the 80s. In early May.

'It's just not good.' Experts describe the dire situation in Texas as they battle record-breaking temperatures and raging fires

In parts of Texas, smoke fills the sky.

Wildfires are burning out of control; the brush is dry and all it takes is a single spark to create the next fire that could rage out of control.

No home or neighborhood is safe from this reality in Amarillo.

Extreme temperatures are another factor. Record-breaking, triple-digit heat is only making matters worse.

As one meteorologist put it, "It's just not good."

A summer heat in May

Temperatures in Amarillo this time of year are supposed to be at a comfortable 78 degrees.

However, since Friday, they have been soaring into the triple digits -- even setting records.

On Friday, the city hit 90 degrees.

"That was the first time in May that we did that," said Alex Ferguson, meteorologist for the National Weather Service (NWS) office in Amarillo.

But it only got worse from there. The next day, May 7, Amarillo hit 101 degrees, setting more records. "That beat a (daily high temperature) record from 1916. The previous record for May 7 was 97," said Ferguson. "That also represented the earliest 100-degree day here in Amarillo."

The weather service in Austin/San Antonio is also keeping track of records. Their region has been in the triple digits since Friday, making it the earliest they have ever seen 100-degree consecutive days. San Antonio hit triple digits on Saturday and Sunday, and could do it again today.

It might seem like just a bunch of numbers to some, but for the people in Amarillo, it means much more.

"You know, it's just not good. It's not good out here," said Ferguson. "Both for the fire danger and for agricultural concerns."

The heat has only added to a host of problems. The region is in extreme drought.

The entire Texas Panhandle is currently in the highest two categories of drought, which has gone hand in hand with their wildfire problems.

"You know that the odds are that a grass fire is going to run through open country here. But they can threaten towns," said Ferguson. "I know we had the town of Skellytown that was threatened by a fire earlier this year."

The fire burned nearly 24,000 acres and destroyed several homes.

Just in the last few weeks, towns have been evacuated due to a fire risk in the area.

And as we've seen time and time again, these fires can travel so quickly, burn ferociously, and people have very little warning.

The Hermits Peak/Calf Canyon Fire in New Mexico was threatening 15,000 homes last week, forcing evacuations as well.

It's grown to be New Mexico's second-largest wildfire in history.

With very low humidity levels during the last few weeks across the Southwest, lack of rainfall, and winds topping 50 mph, fires have been raging.

Three new large fires were reported over the weekend, two in Arizona and one in Texas.

Currently, 12 uncontained large fires have burned 322,309 acres in four states, according to the National Interagency Fire Center.

The dangerous heat will only make the brush drier and more susceptible to fires.

The Climate Prediction Center recently released their summer climate outlook, and it doesn't bring good news for much of the Southwest -- or the entire country for that matter.

The center's forecast shows we will likely see above normal temperatures for the Southwest in the summer months, as well as below normal rainfall for these areas, including Amarillo.

Places like New Mexico could see some relief from monsoon rains, but it's probably not going to help in the long term, according to Brad Pugh, meteorologist at the CPC.

"Later in the summer, July and August, if enhanced monsoon rainfall does occur that could provide at least a temporary relief to the drought across Arizona and New Mexico," said Pugh. "Unfortunately, the summer months are typically dry for California and the Great Basin, so we would expect drought conditions to persist for those areas through the summer."

Our first heatwave of the year begins Friday. Saturday is supposed to break a record of high temperatures.

Extreme heat linked to rise in US death rates: study

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Fluke? Global warming? Doesn't matter, I guess. My nephew at UT Austin is looking forward to spending summer back home in San Francisco. The way he put it, even at night the temperature in Austin stays in the 80s. In early May.

'It's just not good.' Experts describe the dire situation in Texas as they battle record-breaking temperatures and raging fires
    It's not that "dire" though. People say this every year and then we always show them how we can successfully adapt to new and changing conditions and that the economy can still function and improve in the face of a constant stream of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    It's not that "dire" though. People say this every year and then we always show them how we can successfully adapt to new and changing conditions and that the economy can still function and improve in the face of a constant stream of problems.
    Noticed how you skipped over the newer link purposefully. Just keep piling on the clown make up for us.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Noticed how you skipped over the newer link purposefully. Just keep piling on the clown make up for us.
    What are you talking about? Regarding climate change I'm really excited to see how STEM advancements will open up new geo-engineering possibilities and more productive power plants. I think everyone on the planet should try to help speed-up the search for the scientific solution, imo.

What are you talking about? Regarding climate change I'm really excited to see how STEM advancements will open up new geo-engineering possibilities and more productive power plants. I think everyone on the planet should try to help speed-up the search for the scientific solution, imo.
    Adds another layer.

I think everyone on the planet should try to help speed-up the search for the scientific solution, imo.
    They can't bro, climate change and more extreme weather effects are making it so more folks are just increasingly trying to survive.

I do love your fantasies, I wish I lived in the reality you appear to live in inside your mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    People are dying in increasing numbers. Property is being damaged at increasing rates. Entire communities are being rendered uninhabitable. Climate refugees have been a thing for over a decade.

Things are obviously "dire", and it takes a special kind of lack of any basic human empathy to claim otherwise.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Adds another layer.
    Infinite layers! But seriously do you actually believe ACC is going to cause the GDP, agricultural output, and the population to peak and then decline in the coming years and decades? How come all the ACC pessimists never make falsifiable claims and risky predictions? Why do you think that is the case?
    Last edited by PC2; 2022-05-19 at 05:31 PM.

Infinite layers! But seriously do you actually believe ACC is going to cause the GDP, agricultural output, and the population to peak and then decline in the coming years and decades? How come all the ACC pessimists never make falsifiable predictions? Why do you think that is the case?
    You’ve been shown plenty and ignore it like you do anything that ruins your fantasy head canon.

I’m just here to laugh at the clown.