Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    I do not understand that concept that a candidate is owed my vote simply because they belong to a particular political party.

They've got to EARN it. And not by the default of "I'm not as much of a shitter as that other person".
    ideally thats great. in real what do you gain by contributing to the shittier person win? what did you win?

10+ Year Old Account
    They've got to EARN it. And not by the default of "I'm not as much of a shitter as that other person".
    Why is not being as bad as the other not good enough? It's just as good of a barometer for "earned" as any.

Will your standard still feel great, when the worse one wins, to your detriment?
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    There will be times when abortion is the only option for saving a woman's life. Not having an OB-GYN trained in the procedure will increase the risk of death.
    Silly rabbit they don't care about the life of the mother heck the child doesn't matter this is all about scoring political points with the base. The states passing these laws are the worst places to give birth and raise a child in the US. They are doing absolutely nothing to help those situations, they even have child bride laws on the books to show much they "care" about children.

I do not understand that concept that a candidate is owed my vote simply because they belong to a particular political party.
    That's not the actual argument. The actual argument is that when presented with a choice between "objectively bad, harmful person" and "person you don't like who is otherwise competent, qualified, and while they may not share your political views are more in-line vs. the other candidate", it is what it is.

American politics is more mitigating the damage politicians can do to others than electing exciting politicians we really care and are excited for. It's the absolute state of the society we live in.

Because the results are...well...this thread: A SCOTUS poised to overturn Roe with a conservative supermajority (i.e. Roberts can't act as a swing vote) installed that will remain for a long time, and for the three most recently appointed easily 4-5 decades.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Because the United States has some of the most backward voting systems and practices in the history of the world. We use ONLY first past the post for the president and most US Representatives and Senators, which means you can't used ranked voting (the GQP hates it) to vote for who you want to vote for, and then another candidate if yours doesn't get a certain number of votes.

And people know that - implicitly. But they vote outside their own logic, telling themselves that they voted for who they wanted to win, rather than the candidate who had the best chance of winning. That's great in the Primaries, but NOT in the General Election. Which is why we have people voting Third Party candidates in the General Election, knowing that candidate will lose - but willfully ignore the logical results of that action. A vote not for one of the two parties, is essentially a vote for the other party. Hence, we see people "not voting for Hilary because she wasn't good enough" and then slapping their foreheads wondering why Trump won.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Because the United States has some of the most backward voting systems and practices in the history of the world. We use ONLY first past the post for the president and most US Representatives and Senators, which means you can't used ranked voting (the GQP hates it) to vote for who you want to vote for, and then another candidate if yours doesn't get a certain number of votes.
    Except for maine and alaska. I thought it was just maine, so I just checked, and apparently alaska also has ranked choice voting starting in 2022.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    That's not the actual argument. The actual argument is that when presented with a choice between "objectively bad, harmful person" and "person you don't like who is otherwise competent, qualified, and while they may not share your political views are more in-line vs. the other candidate", it is what it is.

American politics is more mitigating the damage politicians can do to others than electing exciting politicians we really care and are excited for. It's the absolute state of the society we live in.

Because the results are...well...this thread: A SCOTUS poised to overturn Roe with a conservative supermajority (i.e. Roberts can't act as a swing vote) installed that will remain for a long time, and for the three most recently appointed easily 4-5 decades.
    This, and what I said, combined with the GQP both weaponizing and gaming our political system to ensure they win. They have been working the local and state political system to make sure their Red States stay both Red, and unmoveable. We see this mostly in Gerrymandering.

Solidifying a non-population based majority means they give themselves a much better chance at controlling the Legislature and the Presidency. Which they should take back in 2022 and 2024, respectively.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Except for maine and alaska. I thought it was just maine, so I just checked, and apparently alaska also has ranked choice voting starting in 2022.
    Yep - it's pretty amazing they do up there, in a mostly Purple/Red state. Rest assured the GQP is attempting to reverse that.

10+ Year Old Account

Also that democracy, as a system, is never about getting your ideal outcome. It's about finding the least-bad option. About which candidate will leave the needle closest to your ideals by the end of their term, even if that means it's further from that ideal than today. Because the alternative is the other candidate doing even greater harm.

Least-bad. Not "good". I vote in every election up here; do you think anyone's campaigning on the abolition of capitalist economics? No. I vote for the least bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    How will D.C. get power without the aborted fetuses being incinerated to generate electricity

I guess I should elaborate: https://mobile.twitter.com/AmandaMar...0%2Fframe.html
    Last edited by Belize; 2022-05-20 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    How will D.C. get power without the aborted fetuses being incinerated to generate electricity

I guess I should elaborate: https://mobile.twitter.com/AmandaMar...0%2Fframe.html
    Like, how these people are allowed to say that shit in front of Congress and not get immediately challenged to provide proof, and ejected if they fail to do so, is beyond me. What a fuckin joke our democracy is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    How the fuck does someone with those beliefs get taken seriously by any educated individual?
    They don't. Because that's not who they're speaking to, or who wants to hear this kind of thing. The target audience is primed to uncritically accept and internalize all these claims as they fit with their world view. Republicans just give crazies like this the platform to spread bigotry, hate, and lies.

The same San Francisco archbishop that barred Nancy Pelosi the sacrament of communion because of her support for abortion rights was arrested for DUI in San Diego on Saturday.

Saw that shit. It really makes me want to just end it all. How the fuck does someone with those beliefs get taken seriously by any educated individual?
    The kernel of truth. DC uses biomass for power. I don't know about DC specifically, but sometimes medical waste is also burned in biomass plants. What else are they going to do with the medical waste though? Burn it and not get power? It has to be disposed of somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    The same San Francisco archbishop that barred Nancy Pelosi the sacrament of communion because of her support for abortion rights was arrested for DUI in San Diego on Saturday.
    At least he wasn't touching kids, so I guess that's something.

Except they do because she testified as the main witness for college educated, many ivy league, members of congress.
    ...and? Tucker Carlson, Ted Cruz, and a bunch of other Republicans are ivy league grads. They've been spending the past few decades doing their damndest to prove that an ivy league education doesn't mean shit when you're a dishonest, terrible human being.

It also doesn’t mean they aren’t taking these assholes seriously.
    Yes...because they want to. Because an ivy league education doesn't mean they're actually smart. "Believing" these things and promoting these lies is their literal strategy for re-election.

You sure about that?
    Yeah, pretty sure. Instead of a secondary source, I'm going to use a primary source that says they get 17% of their power from biomass.

Edit: sorry, 17% of their generated energy, not total energy used.

Double Edit: Again though, what else are you going to do with the medical waste? It's kinda gross to think about, but reality often is.
    Last edited by Ripster42; 2022-05-20 at 11:24 PM.

Here’s the issue, I know people who have post-grad degrees and ALSO take all of this seriously. As in they literally believe what’s being said by these people. It’s baffling. I’m lucky that it’s just the one Uncle, but wtf.
    Being smart in one area doesn't mean you can't be really dumb in another. Take Ben Carson, for instance. Brilliant surgeon, but beyond his field...

Republican politicians only pretend to care about abortion, because it keeps fundamentalist and evangelical Christians voting for them. Period.

Here’s the issue, I know people who have post-grad degrees and ALSO take all of this seriously. As in they literally believe what’s being said by these people. It’s baffling. I’m lucky that it’s just the one Uncle, but wtf.
    People are fuckin dumb. Same thing as the anti-vax movement picking up a lot of college/post-college educated liberals in the late 2000's or something. Education doesn't guarantee intelligence, I keep telling you this.

People are fuckin dumb. Same thing as the anti-vax movement picking up a lot of college/post-college educated liberals in the late 2000's or something. Education doesn't guarantee intelligence, I keep telling you this.
    Never mind the anti-vax nurses and doctors...