Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    ep3 was well made graphically, that's the only good thing I can say about that disgusting toxic n sexist episode, and those are terms I normally dislike seeing being used.
    Holy Seeing Things That Aren't There Batman.

You definitely win the Cringey Edgelord Post of the Week. Grats.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Holy Seeing Things That Aren't There Batman.

You definitely win the Cringey Edgelord Post of the Week. Grats.
    Yeah. I was really confused by the post. I didn't see any sexism or toxicity. Elitism? Sure, but that was the point

10+ Year Old Account
    My only complaint was that the animation maybe wasnt as diverse or as creative as the first season. It maybe due to the lack of episodes but 'Ice' only really offered the most diverse in style. There wasnt this seasons version of 'Ice Age', 'The Witness', 'Fish Night', 'Zima Blue' or 'Good Hunting' from the first season. All the animation was very 1 note this season. And thats not to undermine the artists, because no doubt they worked hard and as someone with a BA in animation there is passion here and I envy how good they all looked. But I just wanted more unique styles

The episodes were still pretty good, but not as cool as the first.

At least do something entertaining like those starcraftesque space farmers fighting hordes of monsters, but no, lets just do cringe edgelord shit, who wrote it, some edgy teenager?

Meh.
    There was really only one edgy episode and that was 'Snow in the Desert' and even that was pretty tame. This season wished it could be edgy, then it'd be more interesting. The first season was far edgy but it was also very creative.
    Last edited by Orby; 2021-05-20 at 07:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Only seven episodes is very disappointing, its half of what was available in season 1... especially seeing as each episode is short anyway
    Quality over quantity, though.
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    Quality over quantity, though.
    see above :P

10+ Year Old Account
    ep3 was well made graphically, that's the only good thing I can say about that disgusting toxic n sexist episode, and those are terms I normally dislike seeing being used.

Overall, it was shit season, u could see from a mile away how every ep would end..

At least do something entertaining like those starcraftesque space farmers fighting hordes of monsters, but no, lets just do cringe edgelord shit, who wrote it, some edgy teenager?

Meh.
    What, exactly, is "sexist and toxic" about Pop Squad?

That slaughtering "undesirables" is a moral evil?

That the human condition is inherently tied to mortality and birth and that cutting both out renders us inhuman?

- - - Updated - - -

My only complaint was that the animation maybe wasnt as diverse or as creative as the first season. It maybe due to the lack of episodes but 'Ice' only really offered the most diverse in style. There wasnt this seasons version of 'Ice Age', 'The Witness', 'Fish Night', 'Zima Blue' or 'Good Hunting' from the first season. All the animation was very 1 note this season. And thats not to undermine the artists, becuase no doubtt hey worked hard and as someone with a BA in animation there is passion here. But I just wanted more unique styles

The episodes were still pretty good, but not as cool as the first.
    The Witness was my stand-out favorite the first time around. Just wildly creative animation and the story was so simply recursive; a perfect use of the visual medium. It wouldn't work at all in prose.

The closest you really get to a "thinker" in this set is Pop Squad. And it's really not that complex, though it covers a lot of ground in visual storytelling in ways that you don't usually see in animation, because it requires subtlety. Even the Drowned Giant is essentially just narration with images, and all the storytelling is in the narration.

There was really only one edgy episode and that was 'Snow in the Desert' and even that was pretty tame. This season wished it could be edgy, then it'd be more interesting. The first season was far edgy but it was also very creative.
    I really can't see Snow in the Desert as "edgy" at all. A little gritty, maybe. The animation's beautiful, and the character of Snow has potential, but I've seen comparable characters done much more comprehensively in more-interesting ways. The regeneration is the least interesting thing about him.

If you want a great example of what I mean, see if you can hunt down a film called The Man from Earth. I won't spoil the details, but it's incredibly low-budget, basically just a bunch of people hanging around a living room chatting for a couple hours. But it's great. Fantastic concept and execution, really, even if it's 100% on the writing and acting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

I really can't see Snow in the Desert as "edgy" at all. A little gritty, maybe. The animation's beautiful, and the character of Snow has potential, but I've seen comparable characters done much more comprehensively in more-interesting ways. The regeneration is the least interesting thing about him.

If you want a great example of what I mean, see if you can hunt down a film called The Man from Earth. I won't spoil the details, but it's incredibly low-budget, basically just a bunch of people hanging around a living room chatting for a couple hours. But it's great. Fantastic concept and execution, really, even if it's 100% on the writing and acting.
    Well I agree, but I am trying to devils advocate to see what 'cute Hamster avatar dude' is trying to say ands to think what the hell they was talking about lol. I also don't think the episodes were even that edgy either. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I agree, but I am trying to devils advocate to see what 'cute Hamster avatar dude' is trying to say ands to think what the hell they was talking about lol. I also don't think the episodes were even that edgy either. :P
    Pop Squad is the third episode, not Snow in the Desert. At least, in my list, it is. Snow's #4.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Once again only 9 episodes. I'll watch because I will get something out of it anyway. I do enjoy all the animations, I do hope to see more visual diversity because season 2 really lacked that. Season 1 is still the bar for me
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Once again only 9 episodes. I'll watch because I will get something out of it anyway. I do enjoy all the animations, I do hope to see more visual diversity because season 2 really lacked that. Season 1 is still the bar for me
    Weren't those robots in season 2?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Weren't those robots in season 2?
    No, they were in season one though

7+ Year Old Account
    img i loved the short with the 3 robots in dead earth lol. im so glad there is another one i cant wait for that. now if they make a continuation of the steampunk fox demon episode ill be really happy
    “Listen, three eyes,” he said, “don’t you try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.”

Like any anthology it's a bit of a hit and miss but overall it's totally worth my time.

I would like to point at my favourite one: "Zima Blue". What dauntingly beautiful depiction of robotic psichology with that metaphor of the childhood...like any good sci-fi it's not about the technology but about us. Amazing one.

As mentioned by other users "Three robots" it's great too ( fuck I would like to see a full movie about them) and there's others , like the yogurt one, so stupid that are actually funny.

In general I tend to like more the comical ones than the ones about action but there's some great of these ones too. In the last batch the Michael B. Jordan episode I swear to god I spent the whole short asking "Wait???!!! It's MBJ real image inserted in a CGI space or is the character infographic?"

I'm still not sure

10+ Year Old Account
    Joe Abercrombie has wrote one of the episodes for this upcoming season and as a big fan (judging from my signature) I am a little bit more excited lol

10+ Year Old Account
    S3 is really freaking pessimist/nihilistic. Basically all the main protagonists save for 2-3 (if you count swarm; i wouldnt, since it implies hes going to die or be used as breeding fodder) die in some horrible fashion. Still good shorts, just a LOT of deaths and dour endings. I think the only one that was remotely lighthearted despite the gore was Mason's Rats. Mini Dead gets a positive mention despite it being a world ending scenario, since its strictly played off for laughs anyways.
    Last edited by Lothaeryn; 2022-05-20 at 10:31 PM.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

I like the new season. Hope we'll get more of this.

The animation quality is sensational.

My Ranking:

1. Jibaro
    2. In Vaulted Halls Entombed
    3. The Very Pulse of the Machine
    4. Bad Travelling
    5. Night of the Mini Dead
    6. Swarm
    7. Kill Team Kill
    8. Mason's Rats
    9. Three Robots: Exit Strategies
    Last edited by XDurionX; 2022-05-21 at 09:45 AM.

I'd rank them this way:

1. The Very Pulse of the Machine
    2. Jibaro
    3. In Vaulted Hall Entombed
    4. Bad Travelling
    5. Swarm
    6. Mason's Rats
    7. Kill Team Kill
    8. Three Robots
    9. Night of the Mini Dead.

Overall though, this season far surpasses the quality of S2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ranking the episodes 1= best, 8= worst

1. Mason’ Rats
    2. Jibaro
    3. Bad Travelling
    4. The Very Pulse of the Machine
    5. Night of the Mini Dead
    6. Swarm
    7. Three Robots: Exit Strategies
    8. Kill Team Kill
    9. In Vaulted Halls Entombed

Review and notes of each episode

Three Robots: Exit Strategies
    Loved that they brought the Three Robots back from the first season, it was one of my favourite episodes. This second outing only made me wish for a TV show of the three, they are such great different characters. This episode, like the first had me chucking at some bits with some very dark humour while almost being super cute. Only thing that really sucked was sometimes the humour got too childish, especially that ending, which felt cheap.

Bad Travelling
    This could have been the premise of a whole movie; I liked the flow of this one, I liked the very Independence Day tactic used by the giant crustacean. I liked the gritty nature of the episode too, as well as just the aesthetic in general, not staying dark, but throwing some light in there two. Some really nice effects. Not as edge sitting as I liked it to be but still very fun. I liked this one.

The very Pulse of the Machine
    This was the type of change in style I was hoping for. I liked the very comic book style of this one with some good colours eerie music and very tense atmosphere and some wonderful imagery. Touching and beautiful.

Night of the Mini Dead
    Ermm... I don’t even know what to say, this episode was so dumb and silly I fucking loved it. Delivered exactly what it said

Kill Team Kill
    Weakest episode but I liked it enough because it had a bear in and I like bears. Animation was fine I guess, soundtrack was a bit annoying, but it got some laughs out of me.

Swarm
    I liked this one from a scfi perspective, it does seem very done to death in premise. But I still thought it was a good story. Got Starcraft vibes, maybe because I hear the word swarm and thats always what I think of when I hear it.

Mason’ Rats
    This was a lovely feel good episode, after mnay episodes that so far have ended pretty badly, this one ends on a really nice note. Enjoyed the animation in this one and was written by Joe Abercrombie a fantasy grim dark author who I have been into recently. This might be my favourite then again I am biased.

In Vaulted Halls Entombed
    Awful, worst of the season. Maybe the worst of the entire three seasons lol. You threw in Chuthulu and still couldn’t get me to care. Good god. This felt like what would happen if you gave some bros a story to write. CG was cool and nice in places but very drab story that ave me little reasons to care about the characters.

Jibaro
    From the get go I immediately knew the creators of the Witness from season 1 did this. The low fps, the jerky camera the WTF visuals, it was one of my favourites of season 1, but this one felt more of a visual treat than the Witness, still amazing and I always love this style, despite it feeling like being in a dream or drunk, its has that weird feeling.

Overall: Better than Season 2, still not as good as season 1. You got me back, Love, Death and Robots
    Last edited by Orby; 2022-05-22 at 03:21 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    I have seen to ep.4, wow this has been really good so far, 1st was ok, I guess...2nd reminds me of old horror movies like they used to make them...2nd was like east european scifi, like Solaris, I like stuff like this!!
    4th, "shot them in the dick!" xD

ep.5, "this is where I go to jerk off" xD
    ep.6 love me some starcraft stuff
    ep.7 he shouldn't have shot that scorpobot, darn rats..
    ep.8 cool lovecraft stuff
    ep.9 just the worst episode...by far.
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2022-05-22 at 08:00 PM.