Thread: Monkeypox!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    No "if" here. Your inability to learn is hampered by your complete refusal to understand how you're always wrong.
    What are the top 2 most important things I'm wrong about? Say why my position is wrong and why yours is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    What are the top 2 most important things I'm wrong about? Say why my position is wrong and why yours is correct.
    No one is required to do this for the umpteenth time. Anytime it happens you ignore it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    No one is required to do this for the umpteenth time. Anytime it happens you ignore it.
    You don't even have a point... My point is that people can figure out how every virus works and can find a way to control each kind of virus. Do you contest this?

You don't even have a point... My point is that people can figure out how every virus works and can find a way to control each kind of virus. Do you contest this?
    Evidence please.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, humans are the pinnacles of knowledge and wisdom, evidenced by you.

10+ Year Old Account
    From a look at things the transfer of Monkeypox is primarily through some form of physical/sexual contact, and outbreaks have previously happened in the US and other countries outside of Africa, its native range, before and haven't resulted in much. Furthermore, vaccines and treatment already exist for it.

Moreover, I'm glad to know that we'll have a competent president in the white house telling people to listen to damn doctors, rather than some bloviating idiot telling people to take horse dewormer or inject bleach.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    The WHO is so much better at fighting these type of diseases than they are at fighting airborne respiratory diseases. This is where measures like quarantine and social distancing and eve contact-tracing work really well, as they've shown with the two ebola outbreaks.
    Also when there are visible symptoms people might just react better to being told there's some sort of pestilence going on.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Yes, humans are the pinnacles of knowledge and wisdom, evidenced by you.
    This didn't age well;
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2
    I used to be disillusioned with the USA about 5 years ago but my enthusiasm and inspiration has been increasing year over year. The Obama years depleted my batteries and then the Trump years filled them up again. Biden is lucky as hell because once we defeat Covid and the short recession it causes we'll be perfectly placed for a new golden age. Growth, innovation, comradery between all citizens. You name it. It can happen but only if you stop infecting people with this pessimism stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Evidence please.
    The evidence is the calc on the last page: PC is full of shit. The whole, "It would require a data repository that has more particles than exist in the observable universe", pretty much nailed that coffin shut.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Possibly, but there are two major caveats.

The first is when we have that ability some might use it to build custom viruses. We should at least guard against that.
    The second is that most biological systems are messy and the rules they obey are just guidelines and are broken whenever possible; and many viruses enter cells by being similar to something in the body - combined this means that any vaccine or drug against a virus may back-fire in some unexpected way (there were unexpected side-effects from covid-vaccines - so in general we don't vaccinate against viruses that rarely occur; that's partially why we see monkeypox now, as the old smallpox vaccination aren't stopping them).

However, RNA-vaccines seem a good choice RNA-based viruses like flu and covid, and we might possibly get universal flu-vaccines in a few years as some hope. I don't know whether they are a good fit for DNA-viruses or we need something else for that, and whether some universal pox-vaccine will become available.

7+ Year Old Account
    Why do you say that? It's accurate.

Why do you say that? It's accurate.
    You say the same garbage...you voted for a shitstain wannabe kingpin who was the bestest buds with people who prostitued kids.
    Covid19 was hyperbole...and I'm sure you still believe that rot even after over 1 million Americans have died from it.
    Circumstances have put the country in a pattern of runaway inflation on a basic level and ironically companies can't keep employees from quitting.
    Record heat waves starting earlier and hotter...and killing more people.

...and you, head firmly buried in the dirt so you can't see anything but your delusions.

7+ Year Old Account
    You say the same garbage...you voted for a shitstain wannabe kingpin who was the bestest buds with people who prostitued kids.
    Covid19 was hyperbole...and I'm sure you still believe that rot even after over 1 million Americans have died from it.
    Circumstances have put the country in a pattern of runaway inflation on a basic level and ironically companies can't keep employees from quitting.
    Record heat waves starting earlier and hotter...and killing more people.

...and you, head firmly buried in the dirt so you can't see anything but your delusions.
    What's the purpose of this? I don't get your point.

Society is at a temporary low point right now so I'm trying to boost morale.

10+ Year Old Account

Society is at a temporary low point right now so I'm trying to boost morale.
    Morale is "boosted" by eliminating the negative aspects of society by removing them from places of power and influence that they use to regress society backwards.

"Progress" is made by investing in education and doing away with sources of misinformation and harmful self-interest.

Vague platitudes and niceities don't make progress. If you ARE hopeful about science, technology, and education solving humanity's problems conservatives and the terminally self-interested are not the people to support.

Conservatives are the people gutting school funding, creating senseless notions of "culture wars" to obfuscate and confuse, demonizing doctors and scientists, and generally working to place money into the pockets of the few with sheer disregard for its impact on society as a whole. A society lead by them cannot progress, because they actively fight against it.

Liberals are progressive. Therefore, what are conservatives? Regressive.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I dont have gay sex so I think I should be fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Also when there are visible symptoms people might just react better to being told there's some sort of pestilence going on.
    rather sure the same people that acted badly before will act badly now
    While I doubt this will spread significantly, I filled expect to some footage of some dipshit covered in blisters screaming about how they need to be allowed into a Starbucks or a supercuts then trying to grab someone when told no.
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

Treatable and a vaccine that is 85% effective.

The point is:
    It’s easy to say the future will be great. Because you’re assuming the future will be great, you don’t have to change your present day behaviour and politics.

I think the future will also be great. However the greatest impediment to that future are libertarians and conservatives.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    It’s not a sexually transmitted disease. It probably just requires relatively close proximity to an infected person.

The media keeps saying the vast majority of cases are bisexual or gay men so anal sex seemed to be the spreader. I heard that apparently there was a gay sauna orgie super spreader event somewhere in Europe, so maybe that's what caused the huge rise in cases in gay men.

https://www.reuters.com/business/hea...21-2022-05-20/
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2022-05-22 at 08:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Lots of people said that about HIV and AIDS back in the 80s, too.

Now, luckily, this doesn't appear to be near as lethal, or as unprecedented, as those diseases. But suffice to say, "it's just a disease for the gays" hasn't proven true in the past, and people using that as an excuse not to listen to doctors or medical professionals would be quite... well, stupid.

As I noted earlier, however, I'm glad the US has a president that will encourage people to listen to medical professionals and scientists instead of college dropout comedians advising people to take horse dewormer. With the existing treatments, medical knowledge of the disease, and actual helpful, supportive tenor of dialogue coming from places of power this will hopefully result in a whole lot of nothing.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.