Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Farora View Post
    The characters in that mobile Marvel game deffo were made using Blizzards new diversity tool.
    I wish more people could notice the irony.

Quote Originally Posted by Farora View Post
    The characters in that mobile Marvel game deffo were made using Blizzards new diversity tool.
    Why’s that? Because they are using actual Marvel characters from the comics? I love people that jump to conclusions and don’t actually investigate anything just so they have something to be upset about.

Rather stay in firemaw in a 4h queue than going to a dead realm. Merge some realms already and we will consider moving to a med pop realm

10+ Year Old Account
    Players: I don't want to play on a dead server. I'm rerolling and/or transferring my main(s) to Firemaw.

Firemaw: welcome to Queue City

Players: BLIZZARD DO SOMETHING

Blizzard: ok free migrations to less populated servers

Players: But I don't want to leave my friends, do something else

Blizzard: ok cros-

Players NO THATS GOING TO RUIN THE COMMUNITY.

Everyone else: insert shocked Pikachu meme here

Quote Originally Posted by Loveliest View Post
    There's over 100 novels / comics with WoW lore already. Having read them all, I can tell you that so far only one I felt made me feel like it should've been in the game. Specifically, the one with Garrosh's trial.
    The rest of the inbetween expansion novels - I feel you wouldn't be missing out. Like the one before SL, I can summarise it in 10 lines and nothing important actually happens. At most, you get a bit more lore about why Sylvanas was targeting Bwonswamdi. But let's be fair here, if you haven't played all 4 covenants, you already missing out on way more. Anyway, you could probably read a synopsis once it's out and be up to speed if lore is super important to you.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't feel like that needed to be in at all. I actually felt the game clashes considerably with the novel. It gives Anduin a motivation but none to Sylvanas. You get no explanation whatsoever as to why she decided to go to war, tbh I even felt like she actually decided against it in the novel. That incident just shows some sides to Sylvanas: that she is ruthless, cunning and a bit envious. Could well do without it ingame, nothing we don't know.

The novels sometimes feel so disconnected they feel like fanfics. Yes, I'm still quite upset about Jaina deciding she can't hate on the Horde because otherwise she would be just like Garrosh and Kalec being comforted she's back to herself only to get hateful Jaina ingame immediately after. Hating the horde and abandoning the world in the face of peril because of her hate.
    It's not about what i know. I did all covenant stories. That does not matter. If something major or not happens that is all character development that is denied to the game itself. Spending time with characters and building their relationships is important for events to matter down the line and for character decisions to make sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lilithvia View Post
    This just in, person thinks that something that has happened since TBC is happening, that the next expansion is already bad
    Yes, it's been bad since TBC. The more the industry evolved the further back the game got with the standards on in-game storytelling. Now with the special sauce of retcons and baddies no one knows the motivations of!

This just in. Criticising game's terrible storytelling triggers sensibilities in wow fan.
    Such a cliché.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2022-05-20 at 12:07 AM.

what is the 2nd PvP alternative to Firemaw in TBC with good ally to horde ratio then? Is there any 1 server ppl transfer to?

Also, nice to see Ben Brode from Hearthstone again, I'll test out his Marvel card game even though I'm not really that into the Marvel universe.
    Last edited by MiiiMiii; 2022-05-20 at 01:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by caninepawprints View Post
    I enjoy the books and hope they never discontinue them. I never read the lore in-game because I feel pressured to race to max level. It's kind of neat knowing some background information about some of the characters before an expansion, like the lore around Calia Menethil becoming Forsaken and Sylvanas' backstory. I don't know where they'd fit that kind of lore in-game, now that I think about it.
    Good for you. That doesn't mean it's a good thing. And you're also wrong, because it's not just "some background information". It's a lot.

Final Fantasy XIV has all of its lore in the games (with the exclusion of some short stories that are free in the main website) and it tells a thousand times more coherent and better written story than WoW ever will.

rofl presales on a book with no title.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    It's not about what i know. I did all covenant stories. That does not matter. If something major or not happens that is all character development that is denied to the game itself. Spending time with characters and building their relationships is important for events to matter down the line and for character decisions to make sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, it's been bad since TBC. The more the industry evolved the further back the game got with the standards on in-game storytelling. Now with the special sauce of retcons and baddies no one knows the motivations of!

This just in. Criticising game's terrible storytelling triggers sensibilities in wow fan.
    Such a cliché.
    No, is not like that. Why are they allowing the creation of new characters? Should have stopped it entirely from 3 months ago, or add a queue to that.

Out of 8543 people on queue, 500 alone might be gold traders, 500 might be botting and easily 200 more are creating chars but wont really play after 2 hours or so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2 View Post
    This has happened with literally every single expansion. So you think every expansion was bad?
    Not every expansion, but every bit of story that was told in the books and not in-game, yes. I have been complaining about it since it happened. They clearly don't care enough to reflect the explanations inside their own game, which is reason enough to be annoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Good for you. That doesn't mean it's a good thing. And you're also wrong, because it's not just "some background information". It's a lot.

Final Fantasy XIV has all of its lore in the games (with the exclusion of some short stories that are free in the main website) and it tells a thousand times more coherent and better written story than WoW ever will.
    If you feel this way, why play WOW and not just stick with FF XIV? Why are you here?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarnaxxx View Post
    If you feel this way, why play WOW and not just stick with FF XIV? Why are you here?
    Because I can play two games? The fact that the next expansion of WoW takes us to a more simpler setting is a massive bonus for it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Basically playimg retail full time because of it. Classic was great the first few months, and right after a patch, but even this patch didn't help now.
    Very relateable, i get that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    You do know that the in-game lore is still there for you to replay it with an alt after you reach max level and get your Cutting Edge achievement, right? Why should others who take their time to read the quest text and NPC chatter suffer because of a handful of people who just want to rush to max level and not read anything?
    Good for them? What does that have to do with what I said? I explained why I enjoy reading the books. It had nothing to do with anyone else.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    Not everything is about leveling. This kind of story would be better told in the patches building up to the expansion. Also you can rush to level cap if you want and enjoy the storytelling on a different toon where you are not pressured anymore. The game doesn't really gain from having these books while the in-game story is seriously lacking.
    Some people genuinely enjoy the books, and I think that no matter what's in it, people would complain that it isn't in the format they prefer. But you are correct that they could give us a bit of a storyline in the pre-patch before an expansion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nynax View Post
    Since they started the books, In-game storytelling has relied way too much on "because I said so" when it comes to understanding characters actions and it just results in feeling disconnected from the whole damn thing.
    When do you think the first book was published? Unless you've played since vanilla, you wouldn't have experienced the game before the books started.
    “You have died of dysentery” – Oregon Trail

Good for them? What does that have to do with what I said? I explained why I enjoy reading the books. It had nothing to do with anyone else.
    You literally said that you don't care to read in-game lore because you're in a rush to endgame and would rather have it be on books.

I prefer things to be the other way: that the lore of the game should be told in the game. I shouldn't have to shell out more money to know what is going on in the game I already not only pay to buy the expansion box, but also pay monthly to them.

It also doesn't mean it's a bad thing. I'm allowed to like the books. I'm also allowed to have the opinion that I hope they don't discontinue publishing them. If they want to put the storyline in a pre-patch before the next expansion, that'd be great so everyone can experience the lore. I do consider it to be background information because Calia Menethil hasn't been important in-game. Other than a small questline, nobody really knows anything about her yet. Players may not know Sylvanas' story that led her to make the choices that she did, but they still get the important bits so it makes sense. Only those who read the books would have more depth to her character. Same goes for Hellscream and the jury trial. That definitely didn't need to be in-game. The book was really boring, and I'm surprised I even finished it.

- - - Updated - - -

You literally said that you don't care to read in-game lore because you're in a rush to endgame and would rather have it be on books.

I prefer things to be the other way: that the lore of the game should be told in the game. I shouldn't have to shell out more money to know what is going on in the game I already not only pay to buy the expansion box, but also pay monthly to them.
    But you do know what's going on in-game, because it's there. I don't care about reading the in-game lore, but it might be nice for those who do like to read it, which is why I said that. Think of it like a side story about the Warcraft universe. Enough of the lore is in the game so players know what's going on and it all makes sense, and for those who enjoy the books, they get a little bit more to it.
    Last edited by caninepawprints; 2022-05-22 at 11:51 PM.

But you do know what's going on in-game, because it's there.
    No. we don't. And here are two examples:

• If you don't read the books, you have absolutely no idea what happens between the end of MoP and the beginning of WoD. Garrosh's trial and subsequent escape to another dimension are never mentioned in the game. All of that happen in the books, and only in the books.

• Similarly, if you didn't read the comics, you'd have absolutely no idea how the fuck Varian returned from wherever he disappeared to and what he went through and now he has the spirit of a wolf inside him because reasons because, again, that is never explained in the game. All of that happens in the comics, and only the comics.

It also doesn't mean it's a bad thing. I'm allowed to like the books. I'm also allowed to have the opinion that I hope they don't discontinue publishing them. If they want to put the storyline in a pre-patch before the next expansion, that'd be great so everyone can experience the lore. I do consider it to be background information because Calia Menethil hasn't been important in-game. Other than a small questline, nobody really knows anything about her yet. Players may not know Sylvanas' story that led her to make the choices that she did, but they still get the important bits so it makes sense. Only those who read the books would have more depth to her character. Same goes for Hellscream and the jury trial. That definitely didn't need to be in-game. The book was really boring, and I'm surprised I even finished it.
    No, they really, REALLY don't. It's not just about depth. The ingame story currently is so inconsistent, it's confusing and it literally feels rushed to hell and back.

Having the books feature so much information about characters from the game is like taking a chunk from the middle of a movie and putting it into a book, all the while people who watch the movie are wondering what the hell just happened.

No. we don't. And here are two examples:

• If you don't read the books, you have absolutely no idea what happens between the end of MoP and the beginning of WoD. Garrosh's trial and subsequent escape to another dimension are never mentioned in the game. All of that happen in the books, and only in the books.

• Similarly, if you didn't read the comics, you'd have absolutely no idea how the fuck Varian returned from wherever he disappeared to and what he went through and now he has the spirit of a wolf inside him because reasons because, again, that is never explained in the game. All of that happens in the comics, and only the comics.
    That's interesting because I remember the story of Varian being told in-game. I don't remember where though. I think Hyjal, but I could be wrong.

Garrosh's trial is the one I was talking about. It was a VERY boring book. That never needed to be in-game. Players would've been bored to tears. I certainly was when I read the book.

- - - Updated - - -

No, they really, REALLY don't. It's not just about depth. The ingame story currently is so inconsistent, it's confusing and it literally feels rushed to hell and back.

Having the books feature so much information about characters from the game is like taking a chunk from the middle of a movie and putting it into a book, all the while people who watch the movie are wondering what the hell just happened.
    That movie was terrible all around. The books couldn't save it.

That's interesting because I remember the story of Varian being told in-game. I don't remember where though. I think Hyjal, but I could be wrong.
    I don't remember. At all.

Garrosh's trial is the one I was talking about. It was a VERY boring book. That never needed to be in-game. Players would've been bored to tears. I certainly was when I read the book.
    It doesn't matter. The fact is that MoP and WoD have zero connecting story in the game until you reach Nagrand and even then you only get an inkling of what happened.