Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Why aren't Burning Crusade's demon models updated yet?

The new models are ingame, but the second you walk through tthe Dark Portal, the clunky infernals from 2007 are what youre greeted with.

But like why? Is there any benefit to this? If it's for nostalgia, isn't that what BC Classic is supposed to do?

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe you should direct this question to a Blizzard developer.

It's because these models don't overwrite the old ones. They're "newer" models, yes, but there are key differences that set them apart.

Take the updated moarg model for example. The one introduced in Legion actually belongs to a sub-variant known as a "moarg brute", as evidenced by the visual emphasis on the "brute" part as opposed to the various mechanical enhancements moarg are typically known for. It would be strange for them to overwrite BC-era moarg with that model because they aren't exactly the same thing. And the same concept applies to the wyrmtongues, who essentially replaced gan'arg demons in Legion despite being an entirely different race altogether. I'd personally be a little miffed if they just went and changed all the gan'args in the game into wyrmtongues, even if the model is higher quality in nature

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    The new models are ingame, but the second you walk through tthe Dark Portal, the clunky infernals from 2007 are what youre greeted with.

But like why? Is there any benefit to this? If it's for nostalgia, isn't that what BC Classic is supposed to do?
    Because it is not made to auto-overwrite already deployed models?
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Skirdus View Post
    It's because these models don't overwrite the old ones. They're "newer" models, yes, but there are key differences that set them apart.

Take the updated moarg model for example. The one introduced in Legion actually belongs to a sub-variant known as a "moarg brute", as evidenced by the visual emphasis on the "brute" part as opposed to the various mechanical enhancements moarg are typically known for. It would be strange for them to overwrite BC-era moarg with that model because they aren't exactly the same thing. And the same concept applies to the wyrmtongues, who essentially replaced gan'arg demons in Legion despite being an entirely different race altogether. I'd personally be a little miffed if they just went and changed all the gan'args in the game into wyrmtongues, even if the model is higher quality in nature
    I mean specifically the models that were intended to overwrite old ones, like they did with warlock pets, bears, kobolds, etc.

The new infernals are the same infernals as the old infernals, just higher rez. But the infernals in Hellfire Peninsula still use the old model, for no discernable reason.

I mean specifically the models that were intended to overwrite old ones, like they did with warlock pets, bears, kobolds, etc.

The new infernals are the same infernals as the old infernals, just higher rez. But the infernals in Hellfire Peninsula still use the old model, for no discernable reason.
    The "discernable reason" is that it takes an effort for outdated stuff nobody cares about.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    The "discernable reason" is that it takes an effort for outdated stuff nobody cares about.
    But the OP cares... and really, is there any other reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    But the OP cares... and really, is there any other reason?
    I mean, even if they replaced the demon models (which probably has to be done manually), people would whine about all the other models not being updated. It's a fight Blizzard can't win. It's perfectly reasonable not going down that slope.

Because Blizzard's content pipeline is busted and has been for well over a decade. They can't produce new content quickly enough to keep up with player demand, nevermind update old content.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrouded View Post
    Because Blizzard's content pipeline is busted and has been for well over a decade. They can't produce new content quickly enough to keep up with player demand, nevermind update old content.
    It's a well known fact that no video game developer can produce content at anywhere near the rate that the playerbae consumes it. Single player games that take a year or two to make get beaten in an afternoon. A continent that took 6 months to design and fill with mobs and quests gets completed in a week. It's not a matter of Blizzard or the last decade or anything. No developer can keep up with player consumption. It's a literal impossibility.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    I mean, even if they replaced the demon models (which probably has to be done manually), people would whine about all the other models not being updated. It's a fight Blizzard can't win. It's perfectly reasonable not going down that slope.
    Oh I agree, guess I dropped the /s on that post.

15+ Year Old Account
    The new models look terrible and too cartoony so no thanks

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Because they look perfectly fine, why change something that is not even being used?

Was anything updated in TBC and Wrath after the model updates?

I don’t think there was anything which would mean that mixing both new and old would look weird AF and they don’t want to do that

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been thinking more of this since my last comment, and the answer might just generally be that there is no interest in model updates until content updates. Just like with Azeroth, Outland needs an update, which sadly means it'll need a remake as it by lore is slowly crumbling. So, I can believe no updates to happen in wider terms (like demons and animals, etc) until the zones are updated.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Probably because they don't want to do model updates for every creature and the world and it's better to have some consistency instead of having a pile of old and new models thrown together.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because it doesn't matter and nobody cares, Blizzard included. They'd do a polish & update pass if they ever had any reason to bring payers back to the area, but as they don't, it'll languish in 2007 forever.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    It's a well known fact that no video game developer can produce content at anywhere near the rate that the playerbae consumes it. Single player games that take a year or two to make get beaten in an afternoon. A continent that took 6 months to design and fill with mobs and quests gets completed in a week. It's not a matter of Blizzard or the last decade or anything. No developer can keep up with player consumption. It's a literal impossibility.
    Tbh Legion kept up with demand just fine for me. To an extent so did MoP. Never felt bored during either of those. Heck I was never really bored in Vanilla either or for most of TBC.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    The new models look terrible and too cartoony so no thanks
    Because of people like this. Apparently 4 polygon mobs look better.

Blizz won't use new char models for the same reason why new character customization wasn't implemented - no changes crowd.
    No new spells, models, customizations. "muh vanilla"

Quote Originally Posted by erifwodahs View Post
    Because of people like this. Apparently 4 polygon mobs look better.

Blizz won't use new char models for the same reason why new character customization wasn't implemented - no changes crowd.
    No new spells, models, customizations. "muh vanilla"
    Yo modern change boy, he's talking about retail, not the classics.
    And yes, many 4 polygon mobs look better because they don't look like they're pulled out of a cartoon for 3 year old children.
    Last edited by kranur; 2022-05-23 at 07:43 AM.