Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    Probably because they don't want to do model updates for every creature and the world and it's better to have some consistency instead of having a pile of old and new models thrown together.
    This is the correct answer.
    Aesthetic cohesion.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Yo modern change boy, he's talking about retail, not the classics.
    And yes, many 4 polygon mobs look better because they don't look like they're pulled out of a cartoon for 3 year old children.
    Holy... so TBC graphics are somehow less cartoony?

Tbh in many cases with new models, the new model was applied throughout old content. Heck when it came to potential hunter pets Blizzard even added new NPCs that use the old model to preserve player choice in case a beloved pet was suddenly changed.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    The new models are ingame, but the second you walk through tthe Dark Portal, the clunky infernals from 2007 are what youre greeted with.

But like why? Is there any benefit to this? If it's for nostalgia, isn't that what BC Classic is supposed to do?
    Because classic, tbc classic and wotlk classic are not supposed to use up to date models? It's just there to give you the game as it was when they released it, including the shitty graphics. If you want to play with HD models, just play the real deal instead?

- - - Updated - - -

And yes, many 4 polygon mobs look better because they don't look like they're pulled out of a cartoon for 3 year old children.
    Hahahahaha. If you say so. The new graphics are 100000 times better, and I love the "cartoony" style.

- - - Updated - - -

Or wait, I guess I missread the OP, sorry. They really didn't update the TBC demon mobs? That's weird. They usually auto update that stuff (see Molten Core f.e.). Atleast for SWP, I know they did use the new void hound models from BfA.

#TEAMGIRAFFE

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    Because classic, tbc classic and wotlk classic are not supposed to use up to date models? It's just there to give you the game as it was when they released it, including the shitty graphics. If you want to play with HD models, just play the real deal instead?

- - - Updated - - -

Hahahahaha. If you say so. The new graphics are 100000 times better, and I love the "cartoony" style.

- - - Updated - - -

Or wait, I guess I missread the OP, sorry. They really didn't update the TBC demon mobs? That's weird. They usually auto update that stuff (see Molten Core f.e.). Atleast for SWP, I know they did use the new void hound models from BfA.
    Warcraft was always cartoony style lol The old ones just looks BAD tbh o more like just made in old technology but the main there were always cartoony :P
    Last edited by czarek; 2022-05-23 at 12:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by erifwodahs View Post
    Holy... so TBC graphics are somehow less cartoony?
    Hard pass. WoW's core graphics has always had a cartoony feel. From old to new models. Old ones are just more "cutting edge"? (As in, sharp corners).
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by czarek View Post
    Warcraft was always cartoony style lol The old ones just looks BAD tbh o more like just made in old technology but the main there were always cartoony :P
    Yeah that's true. Honestly, I still wish they would update Kalimdor/EK/Northrend to HD graphics. Outland is fine since they already did WoD which is basically HD outland with seas - but of course I would also take a revamp of that if it ever will become important to the lore again!

#TEAMGIRAFFE

Personal opinion but i find it just weird when high resolution models are present in a low res enviroment.

Just look at something like MC, you have updated Elemental, Molten Giants and Core Hounds, meanwhile the Flame Waker (Snake guys) and Ragnaros still use their original models.
    Nevermind that the surroundings also still have their original appearance.

It just clashes horribly.

This hits a bit too close to home.
    Their artstyle has not improved in the most recent expansions. I started noticing it badly in Legion, though the expansion was great everything became so... caricatural, for lack of a better word.
    And mind you that can be done well too, but it just often wasn't when it came to some of the known demons mainly, who just felt blander for it, as if lacking any creative subtlety.

The Drust and the Underrot in BfA are examples of how it can be done right though, imo, same with the emerald nightmare creatures.

But a while back someone posted rwo hyena models for comparison; one from classic (i think) and one from Vol'dun (i think). The former looked like somethong resembling a hyena, even if obviously not very "high quality", but the latter really resembled something of a cross between a raw pastry and a claymation model.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbidaggy View Post
    Was anything updated in TBC and Wrath after the model updates?

I don’t think there was anything which would mean that mixing both new and old would look weird AF and they don’t want to do that
    Blood elves and draenei use updated models in Retail TBC

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    The new models look terrible and too cartoony so no thanks
    Classic still has the old models for bears, kobolds, rams, kodos, etc, so why dont you just go play that?

Why is it better to have inconsistency in the updates?

15+ Year Old Account
    Blood elves and draenei use updated models in Retail TBC

- - - Updated - - -

Classic still has the old models for bears, kobolds, rams, kodos, etc, so why dont you just go play that?

Why is it better to have inconsistency in the updates?
    I do only just play classic, but I'd rather modern blizzard stop ruining things

10+ Year Old Account
    Because they don't have replacements for all of the models. So imagine if you have new models spread between the old ones, it'd completely break immersion. As it stands, you have just a quick moment of your brain adjusting to "this is what TBC looks like" rather than have to constantly flipflop between TBC-era and Legoin-era models

And why not made new models for all the NPCs? Because it'd be a huge waste of their time

Quote Originally Posted by erifwodahs View Post
    Because of people like this. Apparently 4 polygon mobs look better.

Blizz won't use new char models for the same reason why new character customization wasn't implemented - no changes crowd.
    No new spells, models, customizations. "muh vanilla"
    The less fidelity models have the more players can project onto them. It's a well known phenomenon.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Yeah that's true. Honestly, I still wish they would update Kalimdor/EK/Northrend to HD graphics. Outland is fine since they already did WoD which is basically HD outland with seas - but of course I would also take a revamp of that if it ever will become important to the lore again!
    WoD is nowhere near "hd outland", what the hell.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulggun View Post
    WoD is nowhere near "hd outland", what the hell.
    Ehm, Draenor is Draenor. Only thing they are missing was Netherstorm.

#TEAMGIRAFFE

The new infernals are the same infernals as the old infernals, just higher rez. But the infernals in Hellfire Peninsula still use the old model, for no discernable reason.
    Another armchair developer, folks!

Being in a similar field of work, I always love it when people who have zero clue about what goes into my job, all of a sudden becomes an expert in my field. It's kind of similar to how people Google medical advice, then proceed to think they know more than their doctor.

The differences in each zone are considerably more than just a matter of resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Because it is not made to auto-overwrite already deployed models?
    Is that true? Didn't the Quilboar in the Barrens get updated during BfA? I genuinely don't know and can't be bothered to check.

That's a stretch too far. Only Nagrand truly feels that way. And to be sure, that's a good thing. I'm glad Blizzard gave themselves the creative license to create an original Draenor without being too stuck to what the Outland was.
    Last edited by Iain; 2022-05-24 at 03:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    Is that true? Didn't the Quilboar in the Barrens get updated during BfA? I genuinely don't know and can't be bothered to check.
    They did, and my comment was a guess, and with Chromie time, makes more sense to update Azeroth first.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Does this even matter? It sounds pretty nitpicky at best. Surely you have better things to do than compare 3D models in a 18 year old game.