Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
Is there any actual details about anything? Like is this guy just paid by the match and they took him out of a match because they figured he wouldn't be doing well? Was he on a salary as a member of a team and they fired him?

I mean, it seems pretty bad for them to fire him, but it seems perfectly fine for them to replace him for a match the day his mother is dying.
They parted ways with him before a "bootcamp"; I have no idea if there is a match soon. Note that he was recruited in February, and they don't have a replacement announced.

But I doubt his claim that he could perform even though his mother was dying in cancer - and looking at recent games it seems they haven't been performing well recently https://liquipedia.net/dota2/Team_SMG#Roster - so there might be more to it.

In most jobs you would give him time off and find a temporary replacement, but I don't see how that works here. They don't have a bench, and temp-agencies might not have dota-players and I'm not convinced that anyone that is a good replacement would join on a temporary basis. I don't see any good ways of handling this.

Normal sports are still working on it, and e-sports are clearly lagging behind.