Page 8 of 94 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorothyjean View Post
    I am not making light of the shooting because it's horrible and I would not wish this on anyone... however... fearmongering is overpowering logic.

Allow me to explain in the simplest of terms...

There have been 202 mass shootings in the States this year with 221 Deaths as a result from them.

On average from year to year anywhere from 10,000 to 12,000 people die from drunk drivers every year.
    In 2021, well over 78,000 people died from prescribed medication drug overdoses and we are set to be over 100,000 this year.

That being said it's still wrong and it sucks but it's fearmongering and emotion overpowering logic. Logically we should be working on prohibition and vastly overhauling prescription drugs and the doctors who prescribe them... but here I am seeing a thread of people blaming this and that while ignoring the elephant in the room.
    And it's only end of may.
    No wonder people are scared.

US get your shit together, rest of the world is looking wondering what the fuck is you doing.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post

Yeah, it is insane. It's also not fact-based reasoning. Your kids would be far more likely to die of household items than they would be at school.
    You may find that people don't always restrict themselves to "fact-based reasoning" when it comes to the safety of their children.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    If those kids would have been armed, they could have defended themselves ! /s (I add the /s in case of).
    I got the /s...but just to add in...apparently the shooter may have been wearing body armor... being armed isn't enough anymore. Kids need AP rounds.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

damn i saw that Annabell Guadalupe Rodriguez dad giving an interview saying he couldnt find his daughter and no one would tell him what was happening, now confirmed dead. Fucking brutal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post

I got the /s...but just to add in...apparently the shooter may have been wearing body armor... being armed isn't enough anymore. Kids need AP rounds.
    think they said he was wearing a plate carrier but it had no plates in it

10+ Year Old Account
    I stand by my post on the other shooting thread. Just make a psych evaluation mandatory before buying guns. Not full proof in any way, but it might prevent a few crazies slipping through the cracks.

Also, increase the sentencing. Give mass murderers the death penalty by default regardless of state. My preference would be lifelong torture, we gotta get medieval on these people. Let them think again before killing innocents. The civilized world will not react well to that, but acts like these do not deserve a civilized response.

Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    That tweet doesn't say the cop hid, though, does it?

All reports are that the shooter was engaged while he was just outside the school, but was able to make it inside and barricade himself in. Then when some off-duty CBP officers showed up on the scene soon after, they went in without waiting for more backup.

You're seeing shit that ain't there.
    State troopers tell KPRC 2 Investigates that prior to the school shooting, Ramos shot his grandmother during an argument. The grandmother’s condition is not known, but sources say she is believed to be alive.

Ramos next took off in a truck which he crashed into a ditch a short time later. After shooting at responding officers, Ramos made his way into the school.
    looks like these cops were completely worthless

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    looks like these cops were completely worthless
    You're literally just seeing what you want to see.

Your narrative isn't there.

Edit: The ditch he crashed the truck into was right in front of the school. He was probably already at the school doors before the arriving officer attempted to engage him.

Last edited by PhaelixWW; 2022-05-25 at 07:55 AM.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    I stand by my post on the other shooting thread. Just make a psych evaluation mandatory before buying guns. Not full proof in any way, but it might prevent a few crazies slipping through the cracks.

Also, increase the sentencing. Give mass murderers the death penalty by default regardless of state. My preference would be lifelong torture, we gotta get medieval on these people. Let them think again before killing innocents. The civilized world will not react well to that, but acts like these do not deserve a civilized response.

Problem solved.
    Don't think that would solve anything. Mass shooters often dies in the act so why woul death penalty help?
    Psych evaluations that are quick questionnaires are easy to fake your way through. Either you need extensive observation over a period of time to establish patterns or they have to be so severe they are delusional when filling it in.

Also, this guy seems to have had problems at home and been bullied at school. Which can cause mental health issues as severe suicidal depression. But that wouldn't hamper your thinking. So this person would probably pass it if he wanted to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    You may find that people don't always restrict themselves to "fact-based reasoning" when it comes to the safety of their children.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm channeling my inner YUPPIE:

Nevermind giving this kids guns, give them NoOkZ

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post

Problem solved.
    No, not solved. At all.

Such a psych evaluation wouldn't be very effective, unless you made them very involved and prolonged. Ain't nobody got the time and resources for that. And people would very quickly learn on how to answer correctly on simpler tests.

And threatening with harsh punishments doesn't work, either. US prisons are already basically torture, due to how they use solitary confinement. US wouldn't have much crime if threats worked.

Besides, who the hell are you suggesting to take on the role of the torturer? Being the executioner with lethal injections is extremely hard already, with PTSD and related trauma being awfully common. And just to satisfy some biblical need for revenge. It's just so easy to be all tough, when you don't have to see or do any of it, isn't it?
    Last edited by Santti; 2022-05-25 at 08:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Pretty ironic considering Texas' pro-gun culture. You reap what you sow I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Wonder how many more child sacrifices the Pro-Life crowd in the US needs before they'll think about doing something other than just thoughts and prayers.
    The answer was in post #17 in this thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I don’t disagree, Endus… but this has been happening in the US for decades and nothing ever gets done. Ever. Politicians are perfectly content with innocent children being slaughtered so they can keep their guns and not address the real issues.
    You mean other people's innocent children being slaughtered. If enough of their kids got an acceptable dose of bullets shit would change.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Besides, who the hell are you suggesting to take on the role of the torturer? Being the executioner with lethal injections is extremely hard already, with PTSD and related trauma being awfully common. And just to satisfy some biblical need for revenge. It's just so easy to be all tough, when you don't have to see or do any of it, isn't it?
    While not healthy emotionally or psychologically, I'd bet money at least one parent or spouse who lost someone to a mass shooting would have zero fucking problems flipping the switch on someone who killed their kid or spouse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    You mean other people's innocent children being slaughtered. If enough of their kids got an acceptable dose of bullets shit would change.
    Just like Stanford University professor once said: if you got a rare disease, best thing to happen is to some congressman kid also have it. Because then the money and support starts flowing.

I don't think this whole gun issue is solvable in Murrica. This culture is rooted way too deep and lobbies are way too influential. Country basically became synonymous with gun access and usage.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2022-05-25 at 09:37 AM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Psych evaluations that are quick questionnaires are easy to fake your way through. Either you need extensive observation over a period of time to establish patterns or they have to be so severe they are delusional when filling it in.
    I'll add that in my country (Greece) you need a pysch evaluation to get a gun and by psych evaluation I mean a report given by a licensed psychiatrist or neurologist (an MD, not a pyschologist). The protocol to issue such a report requires three sessions (paid sessions obviously). And there are many additional restrictions ofc. Plenty of people still have guns though.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    The perfect example of this is all these pro-gun states have strict limitations when it comes to having guns on state properties and they don't allow them in their rallies. If they believed guns make people safer they would allow them everywhere near them but nope they don't do that when it comes to their safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I'll add that in my country (Greece) you need a pysch evaluation to get a gun and by psych evaluation I mean a report given by a licensed psychiatrist or neurologist (an MD, not a pyschologist). The protocol to issue such a report requires three sessions (paid sessions obviously). And there are many additional restrictions ofc. Plenty of people still have guns though.
    Well, how many school shootings do you guys have?

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Well, how many school shootings do you guys have?
    None that I know off? We do have a very notable increasing in bullying this year which is damn scary (a suicide and a murder so far ). I think it probably has to do with lockdown completely messing up children' socialization.

I was just saying, a psych evaluation does not mean "fill in a questionaire".

Between this shooting (and the other 200+ this year) and all the right wing political violence and SCOTUS going completely rogue I have finally accepted that the US can not be saved. I am getting the fuck out of the US as soon as I can. I WILL NOT spend the last years of my life wondering when some Qanon nutjob will gun me down or when I am arrested/executed for being gay. I will be moving to Ukraine once the rebuilding starts so I can be around people who don't take their lives or their freedoms or rights for granted.

Fuck the US.

edit: just clarifying that I am not nation bashing. I love what the US used to be but have come to hate what it has become.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Between this shooting (and the other 200+ this year) and all the right wing political violence and SCOTUS going completely rogue I have finally accepted that the US can not be saved. I am getting the fuck out of the US as soon as I can. I WILL NOT spend the last years of my life wondering when some Qanon nutjob will gun me down or when I am arrested/executed for being gay. I will be moving to Ukraine once the rebuilding starts so I can be around people who don't take their lives or their freedoms or rights for granted.

Fuck the US.

edit: just clarifying that I am not nation bashing. I love what the US used to be but have come to hate what it has become.
    You sure you want to make your life harder by moving to a country with economy fucked for decades?
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    None that I know off? We do have a very notable increasing in bullying this year which is damn scary (a suicide and a murder so far ). I think it probably has to do with lockdown completely messing up children' socialization.

I was just saying, a psych evaluation does not mean "fill in a questionaire".
    My point was that it's working better than for the US.

The US have the problem that their psych evaluation isn't like yours. They ask about your mental state and at most check if you have had problems in your record tied to mental health issues.

There barely is any evaluation.

And where were the "good people" with guns? You know, the ones that said arming staff would protect children, and who are supposed to stop this kind of thing from happening in Texas?

There was a recent double homicide where I live where he owners of a gun store were literally murdered IN a gun store by a single person. Time and time again it has been proven more guns has never actually deterred gun violence.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Oh lord they are already crying it's just another sandy hook type false flag operation since mid-terms are coming up.

Then there is the other camp that say's it's an illegal and just like they predicted the Mexican's are coming across the border to kill Americans.

I wonder what the school's in Texas spent the money on instead of security. Oh, right its Texas, school funding is an afterthought.

I also wonder how the very gun free state of Texas is going to explain how this happened in their state.

Of course, after 2000+ pages on the gun thread here, i already know most of the answers.

20 3rd graders and 27 total were not enough to push change, 14 is acceptable loss in their eyes too.
    One of the parents who lost a child at Sandy Hook committed suicide a few years back due to all the harassment from right wing extremists.

- - - Updated - - -

Why, dude... why post his name and photo? Why give him fame and recognition?
    ENOUGH.

This nonsense has never prevented mass shootings. This is NOT about fame. People have a right to know this information. The name of the shooter is just as relevant as the names of the victims. This is nothing but performative bullshit like "thoughts and prayers".