Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    are there genres besides rock and roll that originated there and/or got their big break there?
    I would’ve thought that Jazz and Blues alone would be enough to insure America’s place in world music.

This thread is about metal and metal wouldn’t exist as we know it without America. You do understand that Black Sabbath (an English band) started out as a Blues band (American music genre)?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    I would’ve thought that Jazz and Blues alone would be enough to insure America’s place in world music.

This thread is about metal and metal wouldn’t exist as we know it without America. You do understand that Black Sabbath (an English band) started out as a Blues band (American music genre)?
    Oh my god, I hate these conversations. It's pointless dick measuring contest.

Metal has roots in both Blues and Classical Music, so what is it then? American or European? It's fucking stupid, just enjoy the music without claiming fucking ownership - it's there for everybody to enjoy.

If you think about it, Blues and Jazz are not even 'American' to begin with. It's based on African music and none of us would be there if some dudes in Africa didn't decide to move north to Europe one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Caprias View Post
    ̶s̶̶u̶̶r̶̶v̶̶i̶̶v̶̶i̶̶n̶̶g̶̶ ̶ living in the states is already metal enough.
    real life call of duty in schools is metal yea

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raidoser View Post
    Didn't you know ? Europe being a full white country we only have one culture : white culture ! (this is sarcasm to the post you quoted)

People should be ashamed to think somehow Europe is less diverse than America and just show how ignorant they are.
    Yea, no point in traveling if you were born in Europe. Same white culture everywhere. That's why we get along so well, no point in starting wars in brother vs brother.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    for being such a diverse place, what are the unique music styles that have come from it?

i've never heard of any native american music that's noteworthy.
    country and trucker is pretty much only made there i guess?
    are there genres besides rock and roll that originated there and/or got their big break there?

honestly, for how influential and how much american cultural exports there are, i'm a bit hard pressed to say "that's typically american".
    Music history of the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2 View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

this has to be a joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raidoser View Post
    Didn't you know ? Europe being a full white country we only have one culture : white culture ! (this is sarcasm to the post you quoted)

People should be ashamed to think somehow Europe is less diverse than America and just show how ignorant they are.
    Hard to tell if people are just this stupid, willfully ignorant, or if you are trolling. Since the likelihood is you 2 are just stupid I'll explain what I said.

I'm not saying the US is better, it wasn't an attack on your countries so relax. I'm saying that due to far greater diversity, you incidentally encounter more cultures and music on a daily basis. This isn't to say those cultures don't exist in your countries either, because I can see your very sick, 3 legged hamster pushing the wheel in that direction. I'm saying that a very small token population isn't going to proliferate it's culture throughout a mostly homogenous country, where as the US is about 50% white and 50% everything under the sun. That's not getting into the massive diversity in just "white" people as well. Which I feel doesn't need to be explained, but I can see you 3 think American white is some kind of monolith. But as I said, I thought that was obvious, but clearly I was wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    Music history of the United States.

Hard to tell if people are just this stupid, willfully ignorant, or if you are trolling. Since the likelihood is you 2 are just stupid I'll explain what I said.

I'm not saying the US is better, it wasn't an attack on your countries so relax. I'm saying that due to far greater diversity, you incidentally encounter more cultures and music on a daily basis. This isn't to say those cultures don't exist in your countries either, because I can see your very sick, 3 legged hamster pushing the wheel in that direction. I'm saying that a very small token population isn't going to proliferate it's culture throughout a mostly homogenous country, where as the US is about 50% white and 50% everything under the sun. That's not getting into the massive diversity in just "white" people as well. Which I feel doesn't need to be explained, but I can see you 3 think American white is some kind of monolith. But as I said, I thought that was obvious, but clearly I was wrong.
    You truly believe that america is more diverse than an ENTIRE CONTINENT?

A continent that has 40+ countries in it, including russia AND many more territories?

America is diverse, I grant you that, but to say that it is more diverse 80+ groups of people is simply insane.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

Quote Originally Posted by RH92 View Post
    Oh my god, I hate these conversations. It's pointless dick measuring contest.

Metal has roots in both Blues and Classical Music, so what is it then? American or European? It's fucking stupid, just enjoy the music without claiming fucking ownership - it's there for everybody to enjoy.

If you think about it, Blues and Jazz are not even 'American' to begin with. It's based on African music and none of us would be there if some dudes in Africa didn't decide to move north to Europe one day.
    Or you can just acknowledge that a particular musical genre has roots that may lie elsewhere but it also specifically comes into being from a particular time and place.

The Blues is rooted in both European Folk Music and African Folk Music but it didn’t originate in either of those places. It specifically came from the Southern US in the early 20th century. All of the proto-Metal bands are Blues orientated. Most of them were also English. American Jimmy Hendrix is pretty much the prototype for every metal Lead Guitarist. Specific metal genres come from one place and move to another. Thrash Metal started as an American subgenre but is obviously heavily influenced by NWOBHM and American Hardcore for example.

America is a very important origin for new musical genres. Many of which are widely appreciated world wide. I don’t disagree with the idea Americans don’t listen to a lot of metal. It’s still a nation of 330 million people and still produces a lot of quality metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluvs View Post
    You truly believe that america is more diverse than an ENTIRE CONTINENT?

A continent that has 40+ countries in it, including russia AND many more territories?

America is diverse, I grant you that, but to say that it is more diverse 80+ groups of people is simply insane.
    The question isn't whether the US is more diverse than the entirety of the EU. It's that "why is metal more popular in other countries such as those in the EU, Japan, and Brazil". And the point is the US is more diverse than Germany, and more diverse than Japan and Brazil and France and the UK and Russia, and Turkey, etc.... It's not more diverse than pretty much the entire first world as you've said, but I never said that.
    Not to mention Metal isn't more popular in any of those countries, other than Nordic countries.

10+ Year Old Account
    The question isn't whether the US is more diverse than the entirety of the EU. It's that "why is metal more popular in other countries such as those in the EU, Japan, and Brazil". And the point is the US is more diverse than Germany, and more diverse than Japan and Brazil and France and the UK and Russia, and Turkey, etc.... It's not more diverse than pretty much the entire first world as you've said, but I never said that.
    Not to mention Metal isn't more popular in any of those countries, other than Nordic countries.
    I already don't think it is right to claim that USA is more diverse than Brazil tbh.

IMHO, it has to do how the current music landscape is basically dominated by huge names, and for now, these names are pop singers. I think this is a way more rational explanation. That and the fact that a considerable amount of music artists come from USA also helps this.

https://www.statista.com/chart/15763...res-worldwide/

As of 2018, the world is 19% metal.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...consumers-usa/

As of 2018, America is 17% metal. Therefore America is less metal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    This ties into the overall demise of American music. Americans are weened on crappy music and thus don't appreciate music very much, and good music goes unnoticed.

We are created to understand music. Our neurology responds to pitches over time. Music theory codifies that. It is not subjective. We speak in perfect intervals. When you speak, you're singing a melody.

Classical music theory fell out of fashion. In the modern period, we have an artificial invention of music theory, namely the twelve tone scale. Tonal harmony is a function of nature. Tonalism is a rebellion against it. Schonburg rebelled against nature by replacing it with his own invented music theory called 12 tone music theory, which doesn't represent the 12 notes in nature. His notes are adjusted, equal tempered and are an altering of what nature produces. He codified them so no pitch would be used more than another, so there is no consonance. It's only dissonance.

Rather than styles coming in and out, you have a replacement of the whole idea that something is a vehicle for meaning. We now have this post-modernist idea that "the meaning is completely subjective", which basically means that there is no intended meaning behind the art, no artistic intent... and you've lost art. This is the problem with the academy. It's been a hundred year since we've had a composer coming out of the academy producing music anyone cares about. Instead, all of the good music that is for orchestra are film scores. In a hundred years, composition students after this trend is long dead will be studying John Williams and James Horner, and maybe even electronic artists like Philip Glass. They certainly won't be listening to Milton Babbitt.

Japanese composers and metal bands have preserved the tradition of classical music better than Western composers have. Most Western music students are not taught tradition properly. They have composition degrees, but don't know how to compose music. Japanese composers are taught the tradition properly. That's why video game soundtracks are far more memorable than their Western counterparts. They are melodic and well composed. Metal bands have to learn classical music theory, be it by learning techniques passed down by their predecessors or by the necessity of having to get good or fade into obscurity.
    lmao, incredible. This is your mind on weebism folks. What a pile of horse and cow shit. The worst post about music I think I've seen on this website

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soikona View Post
    You do know there are like 9 or 10 European countries that are not members of the EU?
    9 or 10?? Try 20.

There are 47 countries in Europe, and 27 members of EU.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Or you can just acknowledge that a particular musical genre has roots that may lie elsewhere but it also specifically comes into being from a particular time and place.

The Blues is rooted in both European Folk Music and African Folk Music but it didn’t originate in either of those places. It specifically came from the Southern US in the early 20th century. All of the proto-Metal bands are Blues orientated. Most of them were also English. American Jimmy Hendrix is pretty much the prototype for every metal Lead Guitarist. Specific metal genres come from one place and move to another. Thrash Metal started as an American subgenre but is obviously heavily influenced by NWOBHM and American Hardcore for example.

America is a very important origin for new musical genres. Many of which are widely appreciated world wide. I don’t disagree with the idea Americans don’t listen to a lot of metal. It’s still a nation of 330 million people and still produces a lot of quality metal.
    I understood what you meant, I can't really argue with history.

What I don't like is people waving their flag, beating their chest and claiming ownership of something they themselves didn't do. As a musician myself I think music is for everybody, just because something originated somewhere doesn't make it American or European. I understand it originated in certain place, but you can always trace influences of it's influence even further and that's what makes this conversation obsolete.

To me origin is an origin, not a label. For example the furthest I can trace my ancestors is 18th century Prussia, so does that make me German in any shape or form even though I can't speak the language at all?

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    America is more diverse than multiple countries. With such cultural contributions such as fast food and school shootings.
    I'm not saying you are wrong on the diversity thing, but the US also produced these things called jazz, rock, and hip hop.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    Because Americans have taste and want no part of that screamo crap
    Not all metal has screaming in it.

There is metal that mixes opera with metal.

Orchestras?

Here are some of my favorites:

This album (01011001) has a pretty interesting story about an aquatic race that faces societal decay due to their dependence on technology.

Three songs: The Age of Shadows, Beneath the Waves, and The Sixth Extinction were really good IMO.

The rest of the soundtrack is still pretty interesting because of the story. I'd recommended reading the blurb that appears onscreen at the beginning of each song as they help establish the setting and explain the plot.

Orchestral

This is something many people in this thread are conveniently ignoring for some reason, and to declare (And, I've noticed a trend it usually involves Europe??) better / wider diversity than America. There are some good examples I'm sure, but far and wide? Hard to believe in any shape or form in an actual real-world sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    This is something many people in this thread are conveniently ignoring for some reason, and to declare (And, I've noticed a trend it usually involves Europe??) better / wider diversity than America. There are some good examples I'm sure, but far and wide? Hard to believe in any shape or form in an actual real-world sense.
    Yeah, that is because you think that europe is all white and because you think white people have the same culture over there.

There are so many ethnic groups in europe that is downright insane to claim that the USA has more diversity than an entire continent. Which you very much did.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluvs View Post
    Yeah, that is because you think that europe is all white and because you think white people have the same culture over there.

There are so many ethnic groups in europe that is downright insane to claim that the USA has more diversity than an entire continent. Which you very much did.
    And almost all of those diverse ethnic groups you have in each individual country, also live in the US, in significant numbers... And thats the point.

10+ Year Old Account
    And almost all of those diverse ethnic groups you have in each individual country, also live in the US, in significant numbers... And thats the point.
    I can literally say the same about europe.

I think you guys are vastly understimating Europe's diversity.

Again, I am not saying USA is not diverse. It is. But comparing it to an entire continent is pretty absurd (which it was what I was responding to)

These songs above aren't convincing me of anything other than that they are somehow worse than the screamo crap
    MMO-Champ users log on and just say things