Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    So, as for Discovery's "quality":

2 Primetime Emmy wins
    8 more Primetime Emmy nominations
    7 Academy of Sci-fi, Fantasy & Horror wins, including best Sci-fi TV series, best supporting actor, and best actress
    6 more Academy of SFF&H nominations
    4 Critics Choice nominations
    1 Empire Awards win for best actor
    1 Hugo nomination
    1. The majority of those awards & nominations are for sound/makeup/fx design.
    2. Nobody cares. Award shows have zero relevance to the people that watch the show, it's the tv industry celebrating it's own existence.

10+ Year Old Account
    They solved the episode using diplomacy instead of kung fu kicks. much more star trek than discovery or picard. Professionals in a work place using their skills and abilities in order to solve a problem without necessarily resorting to over the top violence or dramatics. It felt much more like a tos 2.0. Not trying to be edgy hip nonsense. Nobody fucking vapes in fucking strange new worlds. They keep it episodic for the most part with individual arcs for characters. Yes please. It honest to God feels like the show runners watched the red letter media critiques of discovery and picard and were like oh yea star trek ..
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2022-05-14 at 05:13 PM.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    They solved the episode using diplomacy instead of kung fu kicks. much more star trek than discovery or picard. Professionals in a work place using their skills and abilities in order to solve a problem without necessarily resorting to over the top violence or dramatics. It felt much more like a tos 2.0. Not trying to be edgy hip nonsense. Nobody fucking vapes in fucking strange new worlds. They keep it episodic for the most part with individual arcs for characters. Yes please. It honest to God feels like the show runners watched the red letter media critiques of discovery and picard and were like oh yea star trek ..
    It's kind of amazing, I was skeptical about their PR tour saying this would finally be actual Star Trek, but this is actually pretty good.

This one didn't have the awkward preachy speech either, just a pretty good normal Trek ep!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashana Darkmoon View Post
    It's kind of amazing, I was skeptical about their PR tour saying this would finally be actual Star Trek, but this is actually pretty good.

This one didn't have the awkward preachy speech either, just a pretty good normal Trek ep!
    Yea dude the episode with the comet felt literally like tos when they beam down to that one place and Mccoy is gonna die. Its borrowed on classic trek with just a twist.

The dialog isn't the sharpest in the universe and I felt the pacing was a bit rough in certain places. Certain scenes felt like they drew on a bit long. Uhuras bit as Wesley crusher was good though and again professionals working under pressure learning to deal with intense situations using diplomacy and reason. No vaping.zno kung fu kicks. Chefs kiss. Which I hadn't been able to say about star trek in a long time.
    The hammer comes down:
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Yea dude the episode with the comet felt literally like tos when they beam down to that one place and Mccoy is gonna die. Its borrowed on classic trek with just a twist.
    I’d say the show is 2 for 2. I didn’t care for the enterprise maneuvering around like a shuttle, but I chalk that up to Trek being Trek.

Hopefully we get a good trek episode and background on main crew each episode. Only 10 episodes though? Already seems like not enough.

They solved the episode using diplomacy instead of kung fu kicks. much more star trek than discovery or picard.
    Yes, so much more like old Trek, which never did that:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    Yes, so much more like old Trek,
    Oh and strange new worlds had action as well. If you can't understand the difference between the action on something like picard where the android literally superman leaps and kung fu kicks a romulan off the stairs or that scene in picard season 1 where she "activates" and dispatches the entire fucking romulan swat team with such ease they may as well have been trade federation drones from the prequels vs Shatner bad acting im not sure what to tell you and to be honest I think you know the difference you're just either acting like a retard or more likely literally are one so you get the block

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    I’d say the show is 2 for 2. I didn’t care for the enterprise maneuvering around like a shuttle, but I chalk that up to Trek being Trek.

Hopefully we get a good trek episode and background on main crew each episode. Only 10 episodes though? Already seems like not enough.
    They'll just get like tng an episode for the season which will push their characters a bit and give the actors something to play with. Theirs already like arcs in place but it tends to be more character arc stuff as opposed to an entire anthology season like picard or disco. Pike seeing his death, chapel wants spock cock, torpedo girl has a chip on her shoulder etc etc. I didn't like her character all that much maybe we will warm to her. Chapel is the best though. That woman is sexy as hell and she's having fun with the show and the character.
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2022-05-15 at 07:13 PM.
    The hammer comes down:

Really enjoying this series.

Feels like TNG, mysteries to solve, putting the federation s best foot forward.

One thing I'd like to see in the series is them actually get something really wrong despite good intentions, not heed a warning try to be overly benevolent and a planet explodes because of it or something.

I would have preferred this to be after the other series is my main complaint, they cant really find a new big bad federation ending people because we'd know about them and have already beaten them in canon

Still enjoying it

Spoiler

Hmm, just thought that I hope the doctor can prove himself. He felt a little redundant in the last episode
    Last edited by molliewoof; 2022-05-21 at 07:28 PM.

From the clips I've seen on YouTube it looks pretty good.

CGI is lookin real good as well which is expected and can only get better.

From what I can tell I like the idea that it seems to have reverted to previous formats that had self contained episodes with an overarching theme. Too many cliffhangers after every episode i just find annoying.

Kinda lost interest after TNG and dare I say it the Original was too dated for me, which given time TNG will probably feel the same.

Gotten use to Freesat, Terrestrial tv and Catch Up TV ie BBC and Channel Four for films and boxsets but this has peaked my interest enough to maybe find a local provider of the series and actually pay for it.

This may sound weird but even watchin clips seems to scratch that itch, so might just wait.

I thought Star Trek was based on the earlier Gene Roddenberry. This sounds like a tongue in cheek homage. I want to see more Bothans.

Episode 3 was rather meh, but episode 4 was a solid episode.

E3: really is hard to relate to anti genetic engineering sentiment in the federation when we never really see that as an issue in the federation except being told about it. The whole episode seemed rather clumsy, and as much as I hate forced drama, resolving the episode with Number 1’s secret still being unknown would have been more interesting than how it all played out.

E4:As someone that has had it with Klingons and Romulans when it comes to Trek, even the thought of delving into the Gorn is exciting. I hope this is a recurring adversary throughout the season if not series.

I'm absolutely loving this show. It's great to see them go back to the old TOS/TNG (and to a lesser extent, VOY) style of storytelling but still having arcs in play. It's what Trek is.

It also has a stellar cast, interesting characters all around (not a single one annoys me, which is saying a lot given how nitpicky I can be about that), and with nearly every character getting moments to shine and demonstrating that they're part of an actual crew where everyone matters. Just seeing Pike ask for consensus with his first officer this week was wonderful. In fact the closest character to being lame is M'benga, and mostly because of what was revealed in the 3rd episode, but even that's pretty minor. I just can't figure out what happens with him that causes him to get demoted within 6 years but still serving on the Enterprise under McCoy.

I do have some gripes about relatively minor continuity errors (like Spock having no idea who Khan was or apparently ever hearing the name; of the transpoters being so fast and effective, nevermind pinpoint precision and even being able to produce and change your fucking clothes for you in the transport; etc.), but I can handle that given the overall quality of the show. At least they didn't break a big no-no one with this last episode.

Plus there's a lot of little Easter eggs that make me chuckle. For example, Peck saying "sen-SORS" like Nimoy did in the original pilot, rather than "SENS-ors" like a normal person.

As for augments "not" being shown in a negative light, that's absolutely untrue. There was an entire story arc in season 4 of Enterprise where a Soong finally got around to replicating the process, and all but one turned out to be just like Khan and the other augments from the 90s. The Federation has every right to ban them, especially since it would lead to a dangerous arms race with all the other species in and out of the Federation.

That said, it's mostly due to shitty writing and typical sci-fi scare tactics ("ooh, all new technology is scary and gonna gitcha!"). I'm a huge fan of genetic modification, and [i]especially[/i] eugenics (aka, selective breeding; fuck the Nazis for villifying the term/concept) as that's just the way nature is supposed to work in the first place. But I'm also not terrified of AIs, cybernetics, or most other sciences that [i]will[/i] advance humanity. It's absurd to think all of it is instantly going to kill you. You know, just like our ancestors though driving, rock'n'roll music, telescopes, breaking the sound barrier, the wheel, or fucking fire was.
    Last edited by Infinity Cubed; 2022-05-27 at 05:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Cubed View Post

As for augments "not" being shown in a negative light, that's absolutely untrue. There was an entire story arc in season 4 of Enterprise where a Soong finally got around to replicating the process, and all but one turned out to be just like Khan and the other augments from the 90s. The Federation has every right to ban them, especially since it would lead to a dangerous arms race with all the other species in and out of the Federation.
    Ah in that case I guess I should finish Enterprise one of these days. Didn’t make it past Xindi season (though I did enjoy it up until then)

Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    Ah in that case I guess I should finish Enterprise one of these days. Didn’t make it past Xindi season (though I did enjoy it up until then)
    Yeah, the first three seasons are subjectively awful. But the fourth one is a fun ride. They knew the show was over so they just went full fan service, in a good way. Don't even really need to have seen the previous seasons, though it does get referenced a few times. It turns into more of an anthology of story arcs than a series if I'm honest. Augments, Mirror Universe, Vulcan History, Nazi Aliens, Hybrid Baby, etc. Oh, and the introduction of the Aenar and a bit about their culture, which is also helpful for SNW.

another nice episode

itsa great change from the sort of edgy 'omg the worlds about to end' shades of grey stuff we get nowadays, it mainly focusses on the relationships of the crew.

very mild spoiler

why would the vulcans call a soul swap a vulcan soul swap

cant awit for next weeks episode

Just catching up and after 5 episodes I gotta say Strange New worlds is what discovery should have been. Enjoying it immensely.

This show and The Orville, good times for trekkies

Binged all 5 episodes...Why did it take fucking years to get a show like this? Was it really that hard to make a star trek show be actually like a star trek show? Im telling everyone to watch it, please if this shit is not renewed after all the garbage shows they made that keep getting new seasons. This better have more then 1 season. The mood is right, the federation is not secretly(openly) fascists, they actually have fun, they didnt make a show where every character is a dramatic self centered cry baby. Like i dont hate any of the characters. Can we just keep this crew for a few years fuck. I dont wanna see more discovery or picard, MORE OF THIS PLEASE.

Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    Binged all 5 episodes...Why did it take fucking years to get a show like this? Was it really that hard to make a star trek show be actually like a star trek show? Im telling everyone to watch it, please if this shit is not renewed after all the garbage shows they made that keep getting new seasons. This better have more then 1 season. The mood is right, the federation is not secretly(openly) fascists, they actually have fun, they didnt make a show where every character is a dramatic self centered cry baby. Like i dont hate any of the characters. Can we just keep this crew for a few years fuck. I dont wanna see more discovery or picard, MORE OF THIS PLEASE.
    Well Spock seems to want to Emo. But Chapel is always there to slap him when he tries.

Enjoying New worlds so far.
    The cast and the episodes have been great to watch.

Discovery started out a bit rough, then when the enterprise crew joined it got really interesting...and then after that went completely in the gutter. (Although i know this show is popular in some communities around LGBTQ)

Picard current season started interesting...and naturally went down the gutter...the moment episode 2 ended i was like....eh....

New Worlds...so far amazing. Nothing forced onto you like Discovery with current day politics, its just the future, and dealing with issues in the future. My only issue is the Dr is a bit....hard to pick up, but each episode i am getting easier to pick up his accent.

Quote Originally Posted by Wermys View Post
    Well Spock seems to want to Emo. But Chapel is always there to slap him when he tries.
    Thats kinda what your story is supposed to do, you arent supposed to have an entire cast of crying edge lord. It doesent work, you get picard thats so busy making everything the worse case it can be, that theres no logical way to end the show and make 50 plot holes because its not writing a logical story, but just trying to make everything dramatic.