10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Yes, Thor was too much of a goofball and clown in Ragnarok. One hope is that Gorr is a super intense and nasty individual, so that make cut short the humour (also these weird black and white scenes when he fights others may be a good way to show toned down blood splatters). But like, fat Russel Crowe in golden armour holding a golden lightning bolt sitting on a golden throne, golden arena golden golden golden (and fireworks). Goddamn Sovereigns had less yellow than this.
    Thor in the comics has always been very stoic, but maybe Disney thought that was boring with all the 'ye shalt not stand against the power of Thor, thoust talk in third person' Thor. which is understandable, I suppose it works more for comics, for TV audiences it may be a bit too. much.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Which unfortunately hasn't been exampled in the MCU yet. which boggles my mind why some people saw Captain Marvel as a female empowerment movie (a movie I actually thought was fine btw), I thought its lesson could be applied to anyone not just women. There was literally nothing 'feminist' about it.
    The movie was fine, but yeah: the girl-power wasn't handled well in its overall integration. She shows up, she's more powerful than anyone we've seen, and then she fucks right off into space to do other stuff. Meanwhile the main Guys with a capital G of the MCU keep doing what they're doing, being the center of attention and all. Occasionally Black Widow shows up to demonstrate the improbable use of tight leather in combat situations, and Wanda gets to cry or shoot PMS at people (though she did get more in her own show, I will grant that; haven't seen Multiverse yet). That's not female empowerment. In fact, stuff like all-girl fight scenes that somehow come up with frightening regularity are kind of counterproductive to that. And, oh, look: in Endgame, Captain Marvel again gets to show up out of the blue, be stronger than anyone, then piss right off AGAIN. Her contribution to the overall plot was a headbutt and a smirk.

I really hope She-Hulk doesn't turn into a throwaway joke slideshow like that, but I'm really, really scared it will.

7+ Year Old Account
    Also, memes:

Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    The movie was fine, but yeah: the girl-power wasn't handled well in its overall integration. She shows up, she's more powerful than anyone we've seen, and then she fucks right off into space to do other stuff. Meanwhile the main Guys with a capital G of the MCU keep doing what they're doing, being the center of attention and all. Occasionally Black Widow shows up to demonstrate the improbable use of tight leather in combat situations, and Wanda gets to cry or shoot PMS at people (though she did get more in her own show, I will grant that; haven't seen Multiverse yet). That's not female empowerment. In fact, stuff like all-girl fight scenes that somehow come up with frightening regularity are kind of counterproductive to that. And, oh, look: in Endgame, Captain Marvel again gets to show up out of the blue, be stronger than anyone, then piss right off AGAIN. Her contribution to the overall plot was a headbutt and a smirk.

I really hope She-Hulk doesn't turn into a throwaway joke slideshow like that, but I'm really, really scared it will.
    Off the top of my head, I'd say Jessica Jones is probably the best example of a powerful, believable and independent female character "in the MCU".

It's not perfect, and sometimes it overdoes the "you guys expected a weak girl and got punished" (particularly in the latter seasons, with Patsy), but the writing is still fairly mature and not as superficial as the stuff in the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    That scene is about as empowering as the MCU's all girl team fight thing. I.e. it's not, it's just an attempt at them saying "look girl power AMIRITE?!" which is exactly the wrong way to do it.

As for She-Hulk, I'll reserve judgement for when it's actually out. My hopes aren't high, but I'm always happy to be positively surprised. For all that's worth these days.
    I think the one from The Boys works better because Frenchie was thinking exactly what I was thinking AFTER the fact whereas the one in Endgame came in with HEY WE'RE GURLS!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Off the top of my head, I'd say Jessica Jones is probably the best example of a powerful, believable and independent female character "in the MCU".

It's not perfect, and sometimes it overdoes the "you guys expected a weak girl and got punished" (particularly in the latter seasons, with Patsy), but the writing is still fairly mature and not as superficial as the stuff in the movies.
    I went into Jessica Jones thinking I would hate it because the promo material was probably done by someone that wasn't the show runner which tends to be the case apparently with a lot of things(apparently Raimi and Feige were unhappy with the trailers for Dr Strange). After watching the first couple of episodes I was into it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There was no "empowerment" in that scene. It was a minimal expression of Starlight, Kumiko, and Maeve regaining their agency, for a moment, and only against the most overt Nazi, aand then realizing it meant very little in the long term and quite possibly screwed them all.

A story of a slave beating up their master and fleeing is not "empowerment", it's a desperate attack to salvage the last glimmer of agency. Empowerment would be attaining a position of long-term power over those who'd oppressed them.
    ....and that final statement is why no one takes groups today talking about equality seriously when you're literally saying equality means the opposite group should lick their boots for 100 years which would then lead to a cycle. Parents raising their children to hate XXXX and wanting to "rise above them" when the REAL XXXX is no longer there is ludicrous. A slave beating up their slave owner is literally the definition of empowerment as it shows they have power over them. What you're describing is oppression not empowerment which I'm pretty sure oppression is wrong from what people like you love to say when people are looking but then love to use your dogwhistles to call for oppression like you just did.

Also claiming "it meant very little" means you definitely weren't watching the episode. She was exhausted when she finally caught up to them and the carnage that ensued with the eye stab gave Ryan the final push to let loose. The three beating on her didn't know her personality other than what she had displayed in the media and in the Seven so there was no reason to think she'd run from a fight because she was always a cocky person to them. The audience would know she would run because that's who she is deep down, a coward.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Not sure how it was done in comics, but that Olympus (or w/e it is called where Zeus and co live) from the trailer looks campy af.
    Olympus in the comics is very bog standard Generic geek god stuff.

The most creative they ever really get (beyond Hercules) is Ares deciding he doesn’t want to be a god any more and leaving to live a normal human life and working as a construction worker.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    ....and that final statement is why no one takes groups today talking about equality seriously when you're literally saying equality means the opposite group should lick their boots for 100 years which would then lead to a cycle.
    It's fascinating when folks like yourself make up wild strawmen like this and betray your own inner monologues, but what you're saying here has absolutely fuck-all to do with my post.

Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    I think the one from The Boys works better because Frenchie was thinking exactly what I was thinking AFTER the fact whereas the one in Endgame came in with HEY WE'RE GURLS!
    ....but Frenchie's statement was a satirical comment on how it wasn't really empowerment at all. If you're thinking that it was, you and Frenchie may have been saying the same thing, but the meaning of them was entirely different.

10+ Year Old Account
    She-Hulk trailer popped onto Disney+ with a bunch of improvements on the CGI, better texture and such, showing that what we originally saw in the Youtube release was a work in progress, thankfully; https://thedirect.com/article/she-hu...&ICID=ref_fark

Not linking directly because it's easier to see the improvements in the stills, and because a direct link would go to Disney+, which not everyone has an account at (there's a direct link in the article).

To be honest I barely notice a difference but I didn't think the CGI was that bad in the first place. Maybe I'm blind?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's mostly just resolution. The Youtube trailer was released at 1080p, whereas the Disney+ gets full 4k. Add interpolation and stuff, and yeah.

There was some uncanny valley things going on in the first trailer. It was hard to pinpoint. But her CGI model didn't look as good as Ruffalo's Hulk
    "The customer is always right" is a nice way of saying "I will put up with your bullshit as long as you pay me"

She hulk looks fucking terrible what the actual fuck

Quote Originally Posted by Clarinet View Post
    foxxy is basically no longer a fox - more like a badger this game

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    To be honest I barely notice a difference but I didn't think the CGI was that bad in the first place. Maybe I'm blind?
    I’m blind too then. I’m unsure what has set people’s expectations so high. Perhaps it’s an age thing. Growing up with rubber suit Godzilla and 60s trek, my imagination had to do a lot of work.

Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    I’m blind too then. I’m unsure what has set people’s expectations so high. Perhaps it’s an age thing. Growing up with rubber suit Godzilla and 60s trek, my imagination had to do a lot of work.
    Can you imagine this generations reaction to the effects in the original Blob or Invasion of the Mushroom Men?

Quote Originally Posted by Lanrefni View Post
    Can you imagine this generations reaction to the effects in the original Blob or Invasion of the Mushroom Men?
    I kind of wish we'd go back in that direction in terms of going for practical effects versus overusing CGI. The best execution of CGI is when you don't even know CGI was used... and that basically rules about about anything Marvel as of late. It's downright distracting at this point as we're trending towards the actors being the only real things on the screen (and it may not even be the entire actor at all, such as compositing heads on doubles). For She-hulk, why they couldn't just go practical effects with her is beyond me, especially since you aren't really roiding her out from the looks of it.

It's kind of funny to some degree, as Marvel is leaning heavily into CGI right now yet generally can't consistently produce good results across all the shows and movies they're trying to put out. If the stories and scripts weren't so damn awful as of late, some of the CGI issues would probably get glossed over a little... but if Marvel keeps pumping out terrible writing, people will naturally try to look for something good to offset it, but will probably end up noticing the CGI issues even more as a result. Never underestimate how much good writing can compensate for failures in other areas of execution.

*edit* - I should add peoples' issues with the CGI is less about "Back in my day it was worse, be grateful!" versus knowing what Marvel is capable of doing yet failing miserably as of late. If these were really low budget productions, people would give CGI a bit more of a pass. However, some of this CGI looks like it was made 20 years ago (or in some cases would've looked bad 20 years ago), and the people to raise the standards is Marvel themselves. If they had competent producers who knew going in that CGI artistry/rendering would be backed up, make changes to the media so that you don't have to rely on the CGI as much. While I've seen some attempts at this, they're bad attempts because they usually end up causing plot/writing issues because 'adjusting the content' for less CGI was likely done as an emergency measure late in production. Again, if Marvel leaned into practical effects way more than they are now, there would be less time/money needed for CGI and less reliance on that pipeline to be functioning, with the added benefit of needing much less time to adjust your project if CGI issues persist since you rely on it less.
    Last edited by exochaft; 2022-05-27 at 07:16 PM.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    I kind of wish we'd go back in that direction in terms of going for practical effects versus overusing CGI. The best execution of CGI is when you don't even know CGI was used... and that basically rules about about anything Marvel as of late. It's downright distracting at this point as we're trending towards the actors being the only real things on the screen (and it may not even be the entire actor at all, such as compositing heads on doubles). For She-hulk, why they couldn't just go practical effects with her is beyond me, especially since you aren't really roiding her out from the looks of it.
    Because it's kind of hard to convincingly make 5'4" Maslany look like she's 6'7" She-Hulk, and even trying to use stilts or boxes she'll be way out of proportion. You can try and do some things with forced perspective, but it REALLY limits what you can do with a shot, and it's not going to work everywhere; while LotR famously used forced perspective for some shots, for others, they used CGI, precisely because forced perspective couldn't work.

And if you tried to sell a 5'4" She-Hulk, everyone would be even more annoyed than they are about the CGI.

7+ Year Old Account
    Why would they ever release a WIP trailer? Anyone could tell what the reaction would be.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Why would they ever release a WIP trailer? Anyone could tell what the reaction would be.
    Because they can't announce the show the day it comes out, and god knows they are not going to give the effects company a single minute over the bare minimum, which means they'll still be working on the CGI by the time the first episode is released.

Tatiana is a really good actress but the visuals are questionable. Hope the writing saves this.