Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    Yes they've said any ps1 and psp games in the catalog you've purchased digitally in the past will be made available to you for no additional charge.
    This is nice but hopefully they roll out the releases fast because the PS1 library is like bare minimum stuff and there is only 1 PSP game even listed right now. Doesn't seem like there is any PS2 games that weren't already available on PS4/5 either.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    Came to post this. This is going to be a stellar year for PS5, library-wise.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/...n-south-korea/
    Ragnarok could be the best game of all time and it would still be a above average year at best. Stellar is a massive stretch. GT7 is meh, Horizon was ok, Elden Ring and Souls Hackers 2 if we want to count 3rd party stuff and then there was is big gulf of absolutely nothing. Forspoken looks like absolute shit to me so I have no expectations for that.

Now if they can pull TLOU Remake and FFXVI into the year it gets closer to being "stellar" but even with "insiders" hinting at that color me skeptical it actually happens. Year basically had some heavy hitters in Horizon, Elden Ring and God of War but lacked on pretty much every other level for releases.

Nintendo is literally carrying this year on their back. Sony and 3rd parties are meh, probably mostly due to covid delays and MS also completely shit the bed on their 2022 lineup.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2022-05-27 at 03:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    How is Nintendo carrying this year on their back? They don't have any heavy hitters coming out this year. The biggest game they have is Xenoblade Chronicles 3 or maybe Bayonetta 3 if that gets a release date and those are obviously not on the same level as GoW or even Horizon in terms of popularity and polish.

I don't think this year is anything special other than the fact that Elden Ring was spectacular, but I don't see how you could say Nintendo is carrying when Sony has Horizon, GoW, and FF16.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    How is Nintendo carrying this year on their back? They don't have any heavy hitters coming out this year. The biggest game they have is Xenoblade Chronicles 3 or maybe Bayonetta 3 if that gets a release date and those are obviously not on the same level as GoW or even Horizon in terms of popularity and polish.

I don't think this year is anything special other than the fact that Elden Ring was spectacular, but I don't see how you could say Nintendo is carrying when Sony has Horizon, GoW, and FF16.
    Because it's not always about just having a heavy hitter when Nintendo is publishing good games consistently almost every single month and the PS5 literally has half a fucking year pass without anything of note releasing on it. That's not just on Sony but in 3rd parties also releasing almost nothing worthy of note on the system in the same time span.

I enjoy playing games year round, not just when a block buster releases.

Also Splatoon is a far larger IP then Xenoblade or Bayonetta and it just so happens to have an entry releasing this year FWIW so ooops. "Nintendo doesn't have a heavy hitter" literally laughs in Splatoon being a 12+ million seller. WTF is your definition of a heavy hitter again?
    Last edited by Tech614; 2022-05-27 at 04:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I forgot about Splatoon 3 tbh, but if you wanna talk sales both Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War 2018 broke 20 million sales. Horizon Zero Dawn alone outsold Splatoon 2, Bayonetta 2, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 combined.

Regardless, I'm not trying to be labelled as a fanboy. There are several smaller Switch titles that I've been enjoying such as Triangle Strategy and I'm also interested Live A Live. I'm just saying Nintendo is not having an amazing year and neither is Sony. They're both decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    This is nice but hopefully they roll out the releases fast because the PS1 library is like bare minimum stuff and there is only 1 PSP game even listed right now. Doesn't seem like there is any PS2 games that weren't already available on PS4/5 either.

- - - Updated - - -

Ragnarok could be the best game of all time and it would still be a above average year at best. Stellar is a massive stretch. GT7 is meh, Horizon was ok, Elden Ring and Souls Hackers 2 if we want to count 3rd party stuff and then there was is big gulf of absolutely nothing. Forspoken looks like absolute shit to me so I have no expectations for that.

Now if they can pull TLOU Remake and FFXVI into the year it gets closer to being "stellar" but even with "insiders" hinting at that color me skeptical it actually happens. Year basically had some heavy hitters in Horizon, Elden Ring and God of War but lacked on pretty much every other level for releases.

Nintendo is literally carrying this year on their back. Sony and 3rd parties are meh, probably mostly due to covid delays and MS also completely shit the bed on their 2022 lineup.
    Why I said stellar.

Gran Turismo 7
    Horizon Forbidden West
    God of War: Ragnarok

You think releasing those games in the same year, no matter how crap they turned out, isn't impressive output vs the market right now?

I disliked Horizon as much as the next guy, but I respect that they released a game like that this year. I don't have to like all the games to respect the library. Anyway, I can revise stellar to good if it matters that much.

Also, on an unrelated topic, I came to post this:

https://wccftech.com/ps-plus-classic...r-performance/

Ironically I've kinda been dumping on Sony lately, and the only pushback I've gotten is apparently I think the release schedule this year is better than everyone else. I do hope they get their act together and give us a "stellar" release schedule one year, but if this ain't the year, then when? What games? If this ain't a stellar year, will they ever have one? Three AAA game with IP like God of War, Gran Turismo, and Horizon, apparently won't do it.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2022-05-27 at 01:21 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Nintendo is doing better than sony right now and we still don't know if they have a november/december game (I assume bayo 3 is october) and I say this giving less than 0 shits about splatoon and mario soccer.

Anyway https://blog.playstation.com/2022/05...s-and-updates/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    Why I said stellar.

Gran Turismo 7
    Horizon Forbidden West
    God of War: Ragnarok

You think releasing those games in the same year, no matter how crap they turned out, isn't impressive output vs the market right now?

I disliked Horizon as much as the next guy, but I respect that they released a game like that this year. I don't have to like all the games to respect the library. Anyway, I can revise stellar to good if it matters that much.

Also, on an unrelated topic, I came to post this:

https://wccftech.com/ps-plus-classic...r-performance/

Ironically I've kinda been dumping on Sony lately, and the only pushback I've gotten is apparently I think the release schedule this year is better than everyone else. I do hope they get their act together and give us a "stellar" release schedule one year, but if this ain't the year, then when? What games? If this ain't a stellar year, will they ever have one? Three AAA game with IP like God of War, Gran Turismo, and Horizon, apparently won't do it.
    They won't have a stellar year till they can stop making ots action adventure games. They really need to make a horror, an rpg, a fps or something

Its a state of play so expect nothing. Playstation Showcase would be where they show things that actually matter. I'll be happy if they prove me wrong.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think ff16 could be there but other than that just stray and vr2 stuff

10+ Year Old Account
    We know Square is announcing several FF related things soon. Likely FFXVI and FF7: Ever Crisis with possibility of FF7 Remake Pt2, Pixel Remasters coming to console, and the rumored FF9 Remake. Not sure if they want to announce some of those things at a State of Play though.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Nintendo is doing better than sony right now and we still don't know if they have a november/december game (I assume bayo 3 is october) and I say this giving less than 0 shits about splatoon and mario soccer.

Anyway https://blog.playstation.com/2022/05...s-and-updates/

- - - Updated - - -

They won't have a stellar year till they can stop making ots action adventure games. They really need to make a horror, an rpg, a fps or something
    I would certainly enjoy. On a side note, I have high hopes for The Quarry.

I think at best we get a FF teaser and date of a FF specific event. Doubt we get a full trailer and meaningful info, but would be happy if we did.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did yall come to the PS5 thread to discuss Nintendo releases? As if most of the people with a PlayStation can name anything Nintendo has released this year.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Did yall come to the PS5 thread to discuss Nintendo releases? As if most of the people with a PlayStation can name anything Nintendo has released this year.
    Ps2, 3, 4, 5, psp and vita owner here. They have released kirby, switch sports, pokemon legends arceus and will release splatoon 3, xenoblade 3, bayo 3, advance wars 1&2 and pokemon scarlet and violet this year ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I had high hopes for FF16 when it was announced two years ago, but since then the managerial issues behind the dev team and the bizzare tastes of the game's executive producer have become patently obvious. We'll see if the game is good in spite of that.

Also most concerning is that FF16 might be an Epic Games Store exclusive. Kingdom Hearts being thrown into the dungeons of EGS was one thing, but FF7R? Bad news.

As for Nintendo, there are no Switch exclusives coming out that appeal to me. I suppose maybe XBC3, but I thought that XBC1 was merely fine and was really turned off by XBC2. XBC3 doesn't seem like it's going to course correct.

Folks, there's a whole Switch thread to discuss things you're excited about on the Switch and other Switch things. Stay on topic for PS5 related stuff in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I had high hopes for FF16 when it was announced two years ago, but since then the managerial issues behind the dev team and the bizzare tastes of the game's executive producer have become patently obvious. We'll see if the game is good in spite of that.
    Did you just make this up in your head? FF16 seems like it has had the smoothest development of any recent AAA SquareEnix release wtf managerial issues are you talking about? What an asspull.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2022-05-28 at 02:12 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Did you just make this up in your head? FF16 seems like it has had the smoothest development of an recent AAA SquareEnix release wtf managerial issues are you talking about? What an asspull.
    Ironically, that makes it the least hyped ff. 13 was the holy shit hd ff, 15 was a 10 year long event and 7r was a omg its real but is it actually though? 5 years

Did you just make this up in your head? FF16 seems like it has had the smoothest development of any recent AAA SquareEnix release wtf managerial issues are you talking about? What an asspull.
    Doesn't sound like you've been paying attention to FF14's behind the scenes woes over the past few years. Less and less content is released and the time between content releases gets longer and longer. Cut content. And then you find out about how it takes them 6 months to make a single gear set and you realize how wonky their pipeline is. And then you have Yoshida's tastes which resulted in the game pivoting away from the Final Fantasy game it was originally sold as and is instead blowing the budget on cutscenes of 8 minute catboys eating burgers and a guy jumping off a balcony. Not to mention the lies and trying to pass off his inadequacies by crying. FFXIV is going down the same road as WoW did.

As for Hiroshi Takai, he certainly wasn't picked because he was the first pick to lead FF. He hasn't been a major director for a game since The Last Remnant (which had the makings of a great game... alas). And this is a mainline FF mainline we're talking about here, this isn't like where he was assistant director for XIV.

Let's look at the big names:

• Sakaguchi was ousted due to corporate politicking.
    • Kitase is too busy appeasing the higher ups.
    • Nomura is continuing to be jerked around by management, oscillating back and forth between working on Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts.
    • Tabata was set up to be the fall man for SE's incompetence. Wised up and quit.
    • Matsuno was burned by SE once and doesn't want to do anything anymore. Only thing he got to do recently was be a guest writer for FFXIV until Yoshida decided that there will be no gritty war in FFXIV anymore and cancelled his story.
    • Kawazu hasn't played as much of a massive role as an Executive Producer in XII because of how Matsuno basically got thrown into the meat grinder during that game's development.
    • Tanaka is gone.
    • Yoshida is strapped to the cash cow that is keeping SE afloat and is busy alienating his customers.

The reason why Takai was made Executive Director is pretty obvious considering nobody wanted (or was able) to fill in.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2022-05-28 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Doesn't sound like you've been paying attention to FF14's behind the scenes woes over the past few years. Less and less content is released and the time between content releases gets longer and longer. Cut content. And then you find out about how it takes them 6 months to make a single gear set and you realize how wonky their pipeline is. And then you have Yoshida's tastes which resulted in the game pivoting away from the Final Fantasy game it was originally sold as and is instead blowing the budget on cutscenes of 8 minute catboys eating burgers and a guy jumping off a balcony. Not to mention the lies and trying to pass off his inadequacies by crying. FFXIV is going down the same road as WoW did.

As for Hiroshi Takai, he certainly wasn't picked because he was the first pick to lead FF. He hasn't been a major director for a game since The Last Remnant (which had the makings of a great game... alas). And this is a mainline FF mainline we're talking about here, this isn't like where he was assistant director for XIV.

Let's look at the big names:

• Sakaguchi was ousted due to corporate politicking.
    • Kitase is too busy appeasing the higher ups.
    • Nomura is continuing to be jerked around by management, oscillating back and forth between working on Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts.
    • Tabata was set up to be the fall man for SE's incompetence. Wised up and quit.
    • Matsuno was burned by SE once and doesn't want to do anything anymore. Only thing he got to do recently was be a guest writer for FFXIV until Yoshida decided that there will be no gritty war in FFXIV anymore and cancelled his story.
    • Kawazu hasn't played as much of a massive role as an Executive Producer in XII because of how Matsuno basically got thrown into the meat grinder during that game's development.
    • Tanaka is gone.
    • Yoshida is strapped to the cash cow that is keeping SE afloat and is busy alienating his customers.

The reason why Takai was made Executive Director is pretty obvious considering nobody wanted (or was able) to fill in.
    I literally stopped reading because you couldn't cite any proof about XVI having the issues you claim and instead went on some weird ass rant about XIV or other bullshit completely irrelevant to XVI like Nomura and Sakaguchi.

It's a cute act to think games sharing the same dev studio has the same dev team but in reality it doesn't work that way sunshine. Cite some facts about XVI instead because what we know about XVI is...

-Yoshida didn't want to show it again until it was nearly finished. It's getting shown again soon so it's nearly finished.
    -Other then a few rough months during covid that led to some delays the game development has gone smooth and actually looks ahead of schedule if not for covid.

So continue to rant all you want about Square Enix or whatever other bullshit you want but there was no "managerial issues" with XVI. You can't backup that claim at all.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2022-05-28 at 08:22 PM.

15+ Year Old Account

Just ehhhhh enough to be real