Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Dragonflight could break WoW even more than imagined

Years ago, I balked at WoW focusing on evils that threatened the universe (and then reality itself) because the fans become numb to anything less. You can't easily just walk that back to small stuff. Dragonflight may be being placed in that situation. You really cannot go straight from Zovaal to some evil dragon or a local threat on Azeroth. The main timeline has to stay at universe-level threats. However, we really don't know the villain of the Dragonflight xpac.

What I SPECIFICALLY said was that they HAD an opportunity to fix it correctly.

They created a NEW timeline with WoW Classic. If instead of making BC classic (and REALLY DO NOT MAKE Wrath classic), they branched off 1.0 with xpacs telling smaller stories, THAT could work. The fans would be much more accepting of smaller threats specifically placed THERE because you could sell it as untold stories between the end of 1.0 and the start of 2.0. The problem is, once you create BC classic, you have shut the door on doing that. You could go back and make Classic+ today, but fans wont accept it as much because you are jumping back and forth in a second timeline which makes it confusing and jarring and not everyone will understand what is happening.

I think they had ONE shot to fix the lore, and it was before BC Classic was released. Now they've blown past the window and both retail and classic are rapidly reaching world ending and universe ending threats.

Further damage can be done with Dragonflight because Dragon Isles was an untold story that would fit nicely in a Classic+ xpac. But they are now permanently unveiling it in the retail timeline, so it cant be used in a Classic+ xpac, which can be the wrong place to do it if they do it incorrectly. So Dragonflight could break WoW even more.

What Blizzard needs is a FULL reboot, back to 1.0, retell the story again but keep it local. Unfortunately, even that idea is now damaged because they have TWO timelines running. It would probably be best to end both other timelines and restart the lore with a modern game engine.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Current lore team rewriting? Naaaa

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post

They created a NEW timeline with WoW Classic. If instead of making BC classic (and REALLY DO NOT MAKE Wrath classic), they branched off 1.0 with xpacs telling smaller stories, THAT could work. The fans would be much more accepting of smaller threats specifically placed THERE because you could sell it as untold stories between the end of 1.0 and the start of 2.0.
    Do you mean we would abandon our retail characters and only continue with classic characters? Sounds like a way to make a lot of people quit

Nope. Wow went off the rails trying to turn everything into esports for more $$$$$. Now they just need to correct course, play some other games, and figure out how to make things fun again.

So the only way to appreciate a smaller story is to erase everything that came before it?

So essentially the first season of The Mandalorian was complete garbage because the movies that preceeded it had much bigger stakes and threats?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cantrip View Post
    The devs are simply too incompetent to turn this into fun.
    Pretty much all that needs to be said.

Classic is a repeat of WoW's, well, classic expansions. It's not an alternate timeline. We will see what they do after Wrath, but it makes no sense to take content that can be explored through retail's modern features and visuals and shove it into an emulator of a 15 years old game.

BfA is an excellent example of how we can move from cosmic threats into more grounded conflicts. People loved zones like Drustvar, Nazmir, Boralus and the whole maritime vibe. Before, of course, they oversylvanased it and started throwing legendary villains as patch content and drowned us in systems.
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Blizzard do what the players want all the time.

WoW will eventually get retconned all the way back to WarCraft 3 anyway whenever they decide to move the series forward. May as well just enjoy it for what it is and let it play out.

We went from just barely stopping Deathwing from ripping the world a new one at the end of Dragon Soul to swatting bugs in their hive and slapping around rabbits and monkeys in a haunted brewery. From going toe to toe with probably the closest thing to a physical god we'd ever had to face up till then at the end of Legion, to slapping around trolls and pirates on some neat little islands.

I think this ship has kinda sailed already. Is it gonna be jarring going from a battle for the fate of all cosmos to an expedition to a mysterious uncharted island? For a little while, probably. But I don't think it'll be much more jarring than when it's happened before. Honestly, what's the worst that could happen? Considering the state of the current lore, it's not as if the story is going to suffer much more from being suddenly grounded for a bit. What exactly does 'breaking WoW' entail, as far as it concerns me as a player, who is already half checked-out of WoW's overarching lore and is more interested in just seeing new shit, enjoying the gameplay, and not treating the lore, which has never been much more than decent since when I started playing it, as if it's the last fraying thread holding the entire game together?

10+ Year Old Account
    A reset to the old world? No thanks, really. Feels like burning the story and we'd have the same story again but other or weirder story telling.

I'd rather we soon wrap it up, have some WoW2 Engine ready, then boost the game forward 10-15 years, make the world develop and evolve, make new threats rise, and make old threats regrow. See the land changed and updated from Cataclysm, without having some massive world-ending event. See a new era of different small stories and big epic foes, either some that have been brewing or new ones. Give players the experience of the time changing, factions gaining in a time of peace until something happens, and thus in such connection, make a reduction in gold as a "value" drop. We don't need a rerun of the past, we have Classic for that, we just need to leap forward, and loosen the ropes for story writers to be freer from the past than they are.

There would be WAY too much pressure on the team, development, and resources if we are to close the boost, see our characters reset, have to follow the already adored and loved lore, knowing that one misstep could mean a whole-lotta-bad.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2022-05-28 at 06:36 PM.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by cantrip View Post
    The devs are simply too incompetent to turn this into fun.
    Thats what happens if you recruit for statistic rather than skill

WoW Classic being a "new timeline" is nothing but fan headcanon. The whole POINT was that people wanted the old game, unchanged and unmodified. And clearly with the TBC/WotLK progression we've already gone past the "new timeline" point anyway.

I really did wish they could dedicate a team to creating Classic+ content. Just treat it like how Old School Runescape does. Self contained Classic style gameplay and raids, completely omit any real story. Just have more raid and dungeon content, have more classes playable in the Vanilla style (1-2 viable raid specs per class, Warrior remains as main tank option, pure support classes can remain raid-viable)

Lets call it Classic+. Is your problem solved? Unending cosmic threats got annoying a bit and people asked a return to Azeroth. Nzot, Azshara, Ctun, etc all were great threat to azeroth. We dont need cosmic level villain to have a good story. The lore doesnt need to be fixed, it need to go to a better direction and develop.

Far less people actually care about the lore than you think.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    What on earth are you talking about? Alternate timelines? What? Classic, TBC Classic and Wrath Classic is not at all a new timeline, what the hell gave you that idea

Years ago, I balked at WoW focusing on evils that threatened the universe (and then reality itself) because the fans become numb to anything less. You can't easily just walk that back to small stuff.
    Literally MoP, one of the most well-liked expansions the game has had.

Quote Originally Posted by exsanguinate View Post
    Thats what happens if you recruit for statistic rather than skill
    What statistic?

Imagine thinking the lore is anything more than a place setting for raids and the next casual content zone designed to provide catchup gear.

wait you want them to abandon Retail and carry on the story ffrom that? so... Classic wow, retail wow, Retconned wow? 3 different wows?

10+ Year Old Account
    They created a NEW timeline with WoW Classic.
    They haven't. No more than a museums "create new timelines".

(and REALLY DO NOT MAKE Wrath classic)
    Spoiler alert: they are making Wrath Classic.

they branched off 1.0 with xpacs telling smaller stories, THAT could work.
    This isn't gonna happen. Blizzard is not gonna "kill" WoW to make "WoW 2: timeline boogaloo".

The fans would be much more accepting of smaller threats specifically placed THERE because you could sell it as untold stories between the end of 1.0 and the start of 2.0.
    No, they wouldn't. Not to mention that the purpose of the Classic servers isn't to "veer off into WoW 2" but to be a window to the past. Museums, so to speak.

What Blizzard needs is a FULL reboot, back to 1.0, retell the story again but keep it local.
    Nope. That is the last thing they need. So far down the list that it's not even part of the list. I can tell you with 100% guarantee that if Blizzard decided to "kill" WoW to start "WoW Remake", myself and my entire guild would stop playing entirely because honestly I am not starting over with zero achievement points, pets, mounts, toys and gold. And I imagine many more, possibly the majority would not be happy to lose the progress they spent years on just because Blizzard decided to "close the game to start over".
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...