Page 19 of 89 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Theangryone View Post
    I think everyone is reading too much into what is most probably sloppy writing in regards to what the Thrird Sister knows and why. I think part of what is going on is she is driven to find Kenobi for reason X and the dudes won’t listen to her.
    Well, I am pretty convinced she is the reason behind the main plot of the series. She is just one of the younglings, and tries to capture Kenobi to get an audience with Anakin so she can have her revenge.

10+ Year Old Account
    Off to a better start than The Book of Boba Fett.

Ewan is great.

Moses Ingram was terrible. Jesus Christ.

Vivien Lyra Blair's Leia alternated between adorable and annoying. Why does her droid look like a cycloptic Mickey Mou - ooooooooh.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    Well, I am pretty convinced she is the reason behind the main plot of the series. She is just one of the younglings, and tries to capture Kenobi to get an audience with Anakin so she can have her revenge.
    Entirely possible, and tbh if it were it would be a better ending than what I’m expecting

Really liking it so far, but we still have quite a way to go.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm interested to see where the story is going but holy hell some of the acting is horrid and Leia is just irritating as fuck.
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinerd View Post
    some of the acting is horrid
    Kind of. Mostly the inquisitors, though. That's not how you do intimidating and commanding - it's a corny cheese fest, like what first-year acting students put on when you tell them "be menacing". Though part of that is dialogue, too. Just so, so bad.

I don't know what their thinking is with Third Sister. It just doesn't work, so far anyway. Maybe there'll be something to come and change that, but right now it's just such a bad character in basically every way. Forced, stilted, and annoying. Bad acting, bad dialogue, bad everything.

and Leia is just irritating as fuck.
    I feel like this is divisive. I personally thought she's doing a great job. Good balance between tomboyish, spoiled, and know-it-all carried by Force intuition. Kids ARE irritating as fuck. Entirely in character :P Compare that to Ep 1 Anakin - now THAT was some terrible kid acting. This one works fine for me, but I get that it could be grating to some people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Maybe there'll be something to come and change that.
    Hoping for that yeah.

I feel like this is divisive. I personally thought she's doing a great job. Good balance between tomboyish, spoiled, and know-it-all carried by Force intuition. Kids ARE irritating as fuck. Entirely in character :P Compare that to Ep 1 Anakin - now THAT was some terrible kid acting. This one works fine for me, but I get that it could be grating to some people.
    The acting is fine, I just can't stand the character for now. I know kids can be annoying but I've also seen them behave and listen which Leia has yet to learn I guess. But in general I just have a dislike for kids in tv or movies acting older than they actually are, saying things way beyond what they "should" be capable of. Call it force intuition but to me it's just annoying Hoping she won't be in all the episodes.
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

But in general I just have a dislike for kids in tv or movies acting older than they actually are, saying things way beyond what they "should" be capable of.
    That's her whole shtick, though. She just KNOWS things; that's the Force at work, and it's how we know she has something special about her. It would only make sense for a kid to not even realize this and just blurt those things out willy-nilly without much of a filter. NOT doing that would be weird.

Also, she's 10, not 5 - IDK how many 10-year olds you've dealt with, but they're entirely capable of being inquisitive, headstrong, and asking good questions. Keep in mind she's privileged AF; likely the recipient of a thorough and excellent education, and exposed to politics and intrigue (the canonical essence of noble life on Alderaan) practically from birth. She's not your random average kid, and she shouldn't behave as such.

Just watched the first two episodes. Its fairly good, definitely no Mandalorian but still okay.

Can't put my finger on what's missing. Ewan is fine. The young actress for Leia is good. The villains are what seem very gauche imo. But maybe Vader will flesh out the later parts of the season.
    Last edited by Khaza-R; 2022-05-29 at 07:01 PM.

Sorry, this show lost all the points it had with me for that Leia chase scene. No idea why the director decided to keep that in instead of just cutting to her capture. The kid playing Leia is surprisingly good at acting, but she can't run for crap. So maybe don't give her ANOTHER chase scene in the next freaking episode.

But still, the kid is miles ahead in acting skill than this third sister inquisitor woman. Just embarrassing of a performance. Like she's never acted a day in her life before.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    But still, the kid is miles ahead in acting skill than this third sister inquisitor woman. Just embarrassing of a performance. Like she's never acted a day in her life before.
    Hey, everyone started at some point from scratch. Every actor had their first day. She's probably the token character due to the nature of established characters being white. Got more than she could chew. But she's trying at least.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Sorry, this show lost all the points it had with me for that Leia chase scene.
    I didn't find it THAT bad. Sure it's a bit cringe to see adults trying very hard to make sure they don't immediately catch a kid, but they at least made sure to set it up a bit so she uses terrain etc. to her advantage; like crawling under things her pursuers won't fit through etc.

Yeah it's not the best chase scene in the world but, eh, okay. And you know what? Rainbow chrome cyborg scooters in BoBF were worse.
    Last edited by Biomega; 2022-05-29 at 06:17 AM.

Really like this show so far. The 3rd sister is really annoying though and I wish the grand inquisitor was the primary antagonist instead (though I guess maybe Vader will take over as the main antagonist in the coming episodes). That being said, she might become more compelling when we find out more about her (hopefully). Right now she just seems really angry at Obiwan for no reason and belligerent towards everyone. She's not even really intimidating... just irritating. Ewan McGregor is great as always. Leia's actress is great though I'm sure the star wars "fans" will bully her out of the industry sooner or later.
    Last edited by bmjclark; 2022-05-29 at 06:27 AM.

Sorry, this show lost all the points it had with me for that Leia chase scene. No idea why the director decided to keep that in instead of just cutting to her capture. The kid playing Leia is surprisingly good at acting, but she can't run for crap. So maybe don't give her ANOTHER chase scene in the next freaking episode.

Those were pretty bad. Kid Leia can basically outrun bounty hunters and a Jedi Master... and her impetus to start the 2nd chase was really forced. If Disney was going for the angry black woman stereotype with Reva, they're succeeding.

Overall, there's a TON wrong with the writing. This will devolve into a lengthy post going all the issues, but I can name a couple at least.

An overarching theme is that Obi-wan is an idiot in this series based upon how things are written. For some reason, he appears to have abandoned his training... which goes against his last mission give to him from Yoda, and heavily impedes his ability to actually protect Luke (burying your lightsaber in the middle of nowhere isn't going to help either, and we learn he's a terrible shot with a blaster in episode 2). From how things are portrayed, Owen could absolutely beat Kenobi in a fight right now, let alone Inquistors whom Kenobi knows are around. This gets further exemplified when he's calling to Quigon like he's a lost kid, when it makes way more sense that he'd be meditating to commune... but they were going for forced feelings versus what would make sense.

Making the decision to go after Leia is very questionable, especially with Organa basically asking him to step out of witness protection in a job that his political power and money could solve without revealing who Leia really is... it's known she's an orphan, no one has no idea who she really is beyond that and isn't showing Force sensitivity. This is further compounded that Obi-wan leaves Luke behind after personally witnessing Reva threatening Owen to kill his family in an effort to force out Jedi, and there's no indication that the Inquistors have left or that Reva just won't kill Owen and his family (which would include Luke) out of spite or being nuts.

In a similar light, Obi-wan is terrible at hiding, dressing up pretty much how you'd expect a Jedi to dress and literally wearing his lightsaber in the open despite Inquistors having just killed a Jedi... and the second episode is just as bad, constantly revealing his face despite knowing he's potentially being hunted. A prime example of how Disney will jingle the keys while destroying a character is the end of episode 1, where they have Kenobi flash his lightsaber for the audience to see... but the problem is that he's flashing it to everyone, and he would be instantly dead or attacked if there happened to be an Inquistor (or a sympathizer) nearby, making Kenobi look like an idiot for wearing his lightsaber in the open and flashing it around. There are ways to jingle the keys and not destroy the writing, but Disney obviously doesn't care about the writing.

I'm certain I'm forgetting certain aspects surrounding Obi-wan being dumb for some reason, but that's just with his character alone. This isn't even touching into other characters, who are equally dumb in many cases. There's some tidbits of dialogue that are decent, the writing surrounding Reva is just trash (I won't blame the actress at this point because I get the feeling she was directed to do this) in terms of actions, dialogue, and what she does... it's probably just as long of a list of issues as Obi-wan. But the writing is being way over-the-top when it comes to how the other Inquisitors treat Reva, despite them being decently level-headed in their actions.
    Last edited by exochaft; 2022-05-29 at 07:18 AM.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

I missed seeing the inquisitors and Nari (the other jedi) in action. I think seeing the inquisitors killing him would have offer the chance to show that they are actually “dangerous”, and also the chance to see another jedi fighting and not just talking and running.

As a long time Star Wars fan, I liked the rest so far, except maybe Reva, who doesn’t click with me yet, even if I like Moses.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorca View Post
    I missed seeing the inquisitors and Nari (the other jedi) in action. I think seeing the inquisitors killing him would have offer the chance to show that they are actually “dangerous”, and also the chance to see another jedi fighting and not just talking and running.
    Did the inquisitors kill him though? We see them fly away after delivering their threat and they never appeared to come back to the planet, then we see him strung up in town no visible saber wounds on him. It might be implying the townspeople turned on him.

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    An overarching theme is that Obi-wan is an idiot in this series based upon how things are written.
    Not an idiot - depressed. And "mopey Jedi" is a pretty common trope in SW. Heck Yoda pissed off to Dagobah and let the entire Galaxy fend for itself just because he couldn't see the most obviously evil character of all time coming at him a mile away. And Obi-Wan at least has an excuse, because he thought he DID do something: kill his best friend and apprentice, a boy he practically raised. With that guilt and the horror of what's effectively a genocide, it's no surprise even a Jedi would end up in a funk.

Quote Originally Posted by Snufflupagus View Post
    we learn he's a terrible shot with a blaster in episode 2).
    That's debatable. One could argue that he's trying his best NOT to kill people. He's hoping he can fend them off in non-lethal ways. When it's clear that Leia is in imminent danger, he instantly kills the other guy in one shot. What's more likely, that this is just happy coincidence, or that he decided there's no other way and killed the other guy as a last resort when he was out of options?

Making the decision to go after Leia is very questionable, especially with Organa basically asking him to step out of witness protection in a job that his political power and money could solve without revealing who Leia really is
    That's not what he's concerned about. He's concerned about drawing attention to himself because he's involved in the nascent Rebellion. All the political maneuvering in the cutthroat world of Alderaanian nobility and Senate politics is a means to an end - an end that's more important than Leia, despite paternal feelings. Obi-Wan is his out for getting her back without squandering political capital or risking exposure.

This is further compounded that Obi-wan leaves Luke behind after personally witnessing Reva threatening Owen to kill his family in an effort to force out Jedi, and there's no indication that the Inquistors have left or that Reva just won't kill Owen and his family (which would include Luke) out of spite or being nuts.
    It's an impossible choice, though. What can he do? Take a chance that Luke - who isn't a specific target for anyone yet, just potential collateral damage - MIGHT get hurt; or take a chance with Leia's life, who he KNOWS is ACTUALLY in danger RIGHT NOW.

In a similar light, Obi-wan is terrible at hiding, dressing up pretty much how you'd expect a Jedi to dress and literally wearing his lightsaber in the open despite Inquistors having just killed a Jedi...
    I agree that was a little silly, but then again it's not uncommon as a suspension of disbelief simply to signal identity to an audience. You see it in movies all the time: people disguise themselves in ways that would FOOL ABSOLUTELY NOBODY, yet somehow get away with it. It's part of the way characters need to be recognizable - realism is sacrificed for that sometimes. If he really wanted to disguise himself he'd at least shave, or heck get some prosthetics or SOMETHING. There'd be endless ways. But that's not how film works most of the time.

the writing surrounding Reva is just trash (I won't blame the actress at this point because I get the feeling she was directed to do this) in terms of actions, dialogue, and what she does... it's probably just as long of a list of issues as Obi-wan. But the writing is being way over-the-top when it comes to how the other Inquisitors treat Reva, despite them being decently level-headed in their actions.
    It's hard to tell what's the fault of the writer/director and what's the fault of the actress. True that when acting you gotta work with what you've got; and that certainly isn't top-notch quality here. But she also doesn't come across as particularly compelling even without dialogue. Immensely disappointed so far with her work in particular, but yeah, the Inquisitors in general as well.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I don't hate or love the scene but your post reminded me of something I read. Ahsoka was leading troopers in a war at the age of 14, of course Leia can outrun a couple of mooks.
    Well, apples to oranges. Ahsoka has been trained as a Jedi and as a military official (given the jedi status in the Clone Wars), serves under Anakin and beside many important Jedis.

Leia is just Force sensitive with a strong affinity, given her parentage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Riiiight. The problem is that I don’t confuse two asian men who don’t look alike and don’t sound alike. It’s not your inability to tell them apart.
    Why is that racist? Some people don't live in multi-ethnic, multi-national societies, therefore they don't have the image "vocabulary" to distinguish people with Asian characteristics. Add the make-up, mistakes can happen. I didn't see anything demeaning to Asian heritage people in his confessed mistake.

You just like to instigate matters where there aren't any.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    I'm sorry, have we taken to pretending that "all [X people] look the same" isn't obvious racism? Fascinating.
    No, it's not. Where's the insult in there? The lack of discrimination is... discrimination?

It might be ignorance, or hastiness, or indifference.

Prove it was mentioned as an insult to the race and their people.
    Last edited by Fabinas; 2022-05-29 at 11:55 AM.
    /spit@Blizzard

Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    No, it's not. Where's the insult in there? The lack of discrimination is... discrimination?

It might be ignorance, or hastiness, or indifference.

Prove it was mentioned as an insult to the race and their people.
    I think the problem is more that "all Asians look alike" is a racial stereotype that's problematic for historic reasons. Much in the same way that you'd probably be careful with statements like "I saw a bunch of African Americans lazing around on their porch" even though it might well be a description of an actual situation - some statements just carry a lot of baggage.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Kind of. Mostly the inquisitors, though. That's not how you do intimidating and commanding - it's a corny cheese fest, like what first-year acting students put on when you tell them "be menacing". Though part of that is dialogue, too. Just so, so bad.

I don't know what their thinking is with Third Sister. It just doesn't work, so far anyway. Maybe there'll be something to come and change that, but right now it's just such a bad character in basically every way. Forced, stilted, and annoying. Bad acting, bad dialogue, bad everything.

As a kid actress she's doing great. However, i would have preferred the role being played by a small sized early teen, just so that the physical parts (chase, jumps etc) were acted and shot better and more convincing.
    /spit@Blizzard