Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Valette View Post
    Do you mean we would abandon our retail characters and only continue with classic characters? Sounds like a way to make a lot of people quit
    i think they could continue retail with cosmic lore, but azeroth lore in classic+.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    So the only way to appreciate a smaller story is to erase everything that came before it?

So essentially the first season of The Mandalorian was complete garbage because the movies that preceeded it had much bigger stakes and threats?
    its not impossible to return to smaller stories once you go big. but it is very very difficult. fans often wont except it unless you do a full reboot, and often not even then. thats why experienced writers know to never go cosmic from the start. the mandalorian worked to some degree but its a different medium as well. im not sure a mandalorian film would work.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Magical Mudcrab View Post
    Ignore them. They're saying that Blizzard developers are incompetent because Blizzard is, in their view, hiring people solely on diversity and ignoring individual competency.
    And anyone who questions that will get called a racist. To quote someone in another thread "try arguing against it without sounding like a racist pile of shit."
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Years ago, I balked at WoW focusing on evils that threatened the universe (and then reality itself) because the fans become numb to anything less. You can't easily just walk that back to small stuff. Dragonflight may be being placed in that situation. You really cannot go straight from Zovaal to some evil dragon or a local threat on Azeroth. The main timeline has to stay at universe-level threats. However, we really don't know the villain of the Dragonflight xpac.
    And yet we went from Deathwing to helping Pandas remove vermin from their carrot patches, and managed somehow.

I am expecting nothing about a good story in Dragonflight. I am happy about the new class what hopefully will get enough fun to play Dragonflight a few month. And if not, so what, the same as in SL, just cancel sub an wait for the next expansion.

For a good story we will get Wotlk classic.

Years ago, I balked at WoW focusing on evils that threatened the universe (and then reality itself) because the fans become numb to anything less. You can't easily just walk that back to small stuff. Dragonflight may be being placed in that situation. You really cannot go straight from Zovaal to some evil dragon or a local threat on Azeroth. The main timeline has to stay at universe-level threats. However, we really don't know the villain of the Dragonflight xpac.

What I SPECIFICALLY said was that they HAD an opportunity to fix it correctly.

They created a NEW timeline with WoW Classic. If instead of making BC classic (and REALLY DO NOT MAKE Wrath classic), they branched off 1.0 with xpacs telling smaller stories, THAT could work. The fans would be much more accepting of smaller threats specifically placed THERE because you could sell it as untold stories between the end of 1.0 and the start of 2.0. The problem is, once you create BC classic, you have shut the door on doing that. You could go back and make Classic+ today, but fans wont accept it as much because you are jumping back and forth in a second timeline which makes it confusing and jarring and not everyone will understand what is happening.

I think they had ONE shot to fix the lore, and it was before BC Classic was released. Now they've blown past the window and both retail and classic are rapidly reaching world ending and universe ending threats.

Further damage can be done with Dragonflight because Dragon Isles was an untold story that would fit nicely in a Classic+ xpac. But they are now permanently unveiling it in the retail timeline, so it cant be used in a Classic+ xpac, which can be the wrong place to do it if they do it incorrectly. So Dragonflight could break WoW even more.

What Blizzard needs is a FULL reboot, back to 1.0, retell the story again but keep it local. Unfortunately, even that idea is now damaged because they have TWO timelines running. It would probably be best to end both other timelines and restart the lore with a modern game engine.
    That's just nonsense, sorry to say it. Especially after azerite potentially bulking up even an average Joe to our player's levels.

Just because you saved the universe does not mean your planet cannot still die, just because you saved the planet doesn't mean your country cannot be undone, just because you saved your country doesn't mean your house cannot still burn down, just because you saved your house doesn't mean your son is suddenly immortal.

Past achievements provide zero certainty for the future if they are not directly related; yes the universe dying would destroy all of the aforementioned, but it not dying doesn't automaticaly save all.

So blunt as it is: Just because you can't wrap your mind around it, doesn't mean it isn't still so.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

This is just pure bullshit. Many franchises have stories that vary greatly in scope and severity. There's no rule that says you have to keep going bigger, that's just what WoW has conditioned you to think. Try playing a different game once in a while.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    And anyone who questions that will get called a racist. To quote someone in another thread "try arguing against it without sounding like a racist pile of shit."
    In the way they were stating it, it would be very explicitly bigoted. That's not to say that you can't have an opinion on Blizzard's hiring practices, or can't have a problem with diversity targets in hiring (or, in more recent posts, in story) generally, but it's another thing altogether to essentially say that diverse Blizzard developers are incompetent and were hired solely based on their diversity. It reduces their accomplishment to the color of their skin, sex, or identity.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

Quote Originally Posted by Theangryone View Post
    Nope. Wow went off the rails trying to turn everything into esports for more $$$$$. Now they just need to correct course, play some other games, and figure out how to make things fun again.
    Things are still fun for many people. What you are really saying is "fun for me". Fun is subjective and what you find fun others do not.

10+ Year Old Account

They created a NEW timeline with WoW Classic. If instead of making BC classic (and REALLY DO NOT MAKE Wrath classic), they branched off 1.0 with xpacs telling smaller stories, THAT could work. The fans would be much more accepting of smaller threats specifically placed THERE because you could sell it as untold stories between the end of 1.0 and the start of 2.0. The problem is, once you create BC classic, you have shut the door on doing that. You could go back and make Classic+ today, but fans wont accept it as much because you are jumping back and forth in a second timeline which makes it confusing and jarring and not everyone will understand what is happening.

I think they had ONE shot to fix the lore, and it was before BC Classic was released. Now they've blown past the window and both retail and classic are rapidly reaching world ending and universe ending threats.

Further damage can be done with Dragonflight because Dragon Isles was an untold story that would fit nicely in a Classic+ xpac. But they are now permanently unveiling it in the retail timeline, so it cant be used in a Classic+ xpac, which can be the wrong place to do it if they do it incorrectly. So Dragonflight could break WoW even more.

What Blizzard needs is a FULL reboot, back to 1.0, retell the story again but keep it local. Unfortunately, even that idea is now damaged because they have TWO timelines running. It would probably be best to end both other timelines and restart the lore with a modern game engine.
    Do you think it will break WoW to the point of civil war?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valette View Post
    Do you mean we would abandon our retail characters and only continue with classic characters? Sounds like a way to make a lot of people quit
    "Hey, you know that character you've been playing since 2004? Yeah they're gone now, forever. I'm making the mother of all omelettes here Jack, can't fret over every egg."
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

*snip*
    I'm just impressed that your thought processes were convinced this idea was a good one. Kudos to you, I couldn't think of something like this if I tried... Also 365 words exactly. Great job on getting a word a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Magical Mudcrab View Post
    In the way they were stating it, it would be very explicitly bigoted. That's not to say that you can't have an opinion on Blizzard's hiring practices, or can't have a problem with diversity targets in hiring (or, in more recent posts, in story) generally, but it's another thing altogether to essentially say that diverse Blizzard developers are incompetent and were hired solely based on their diversity. It reduces their accomplishment to the color of their skin, sex, or identity.
    So it's ok to have an opinion on Blizzard's hiring practices, but if that opinion is that they got hired for diversity reasons then it's "very explicitly bigoted." Thanks for playing. Seems the only safe "opinion" to have is that it never is because of a quota. Thanks for playing.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

15+ Year Old Account
    So it's ok to have an opinion on Blizzard's hiring practices, but if that opinion is that they got hired for diversity reasons then it's "very explicitly bigoted." Thanks for playing. Seems the only safe "opinion" to have is that it never is because of a quota. Thanks for playing.
    I'll take "Missing The Point" for $400, Alex.

Lore not broken. Just your personal opinion of the game is broken. You no like, you no play. Find something else you enjoy and stop playing because it causes you personal pain.

7+ Year Old Account
    You can discuss the policies of a company without being bigoted. As hard as it might be to believe there is a difference between discussing hiring practices, which I said was perfectly fine, and outright saying that Blizzard is hiring "incompetent" minorities and implying they wouldn't have their job if not for some immutable characteristic. If you want to discuss the former, you're free to, but you're then also responsible for constructing your argument in a way that isn't like the latter statement. If you can't find a way to argue that point without being bigoted then that is on you.

As an aside, there are definitely reasonable arguments against diversity initiatives that can be made; however, it is on you or anyone who wants to make them to, well, make them. You're responsible for formulating your ideas and expressing them, and if they're expressed in a bigoted way then of course you'll be called out for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    I'll take "Missing The Point" for $400, Alex.
    inb4 Daily Double.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    lmaaaao op wants wow to be retconned because of bad lore

if tbc didn't pull this game to an early grave, nothing else will

y'all bfa babies who think the lore is ruined because of shadowlands are clueless

i think they could continue retail with cosmic lore, but azeroth lore in classic+.
    They potentially could, that is true. But they will not, because they are dedicated to recreating the previous expansions, not invent new stuff to make you happy. They will take it through the ordinary storylines of each expansion, not stick to new stories just because you think it will be better.

Yes, they could. But no, they won't.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    lmaaaao op wants wow to be retconned because of bad lore

if tbc didn't pull this game to an early grave, nothing else will

y'all bfa babies who think the lore is ruined because of shadowlands are clueless
    TBC was fine dude. There has been so much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by edw View Post
    I thin most people don't care about the lore, just make an enjoyable game to play ...
    Well, they failed on both accounts spectacularly in SLs. So there is more then enough dissatisfaction to go around.