Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I'm under that impression myself. However there are different categories of metal.
    That's not true at all, there's only one category of metal. Anything else would be wood, plastic, or meat - those are the only four categories of music.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    That's not true at all, there's only one category of metal. Anything else would be wood, plastic, or meat - those are the only four categories of music.
    Except metal have a near infinite number of alloy combinations.
    "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

No it doesnt
    MMO-Champ users log on and just say things

Quote Originally Posted by Athredas View Post
    There's one fundamental issue here: metal is incredibly diverse genre, but you can't really lump the fans of individual subgenres together. There's a LOT of tribalism there and not that much of overlap. It's not very likely to find a fan of metalcore that would be also into symphonic power metal.
    Right, blackened melodic deathcore isn't the same as thall, which isnt the same as thrash. I think a lot of normies hear metal and think Enter Sandman or Linkin Park.

As a big metalcore fan though, if it chugs, I like.
    Last edited by willtron; 2022-05-27 at 06:56 PM.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Quote Originally Posted by Axelthefox View Post
    I wonder if you ever listened to Swedish or Norwegian Extreme metal?

Revisiting this, I don't think I like this Norwegian extreme metal very much
    MMO-Champ users log on and just say things

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    Enter Sandman
    Love that band, especially that other song they do about hating everything about you idk the name.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    Revisiting this, I don't think I like this Norwegian extreme metal very much
    OMG did you hear that someone burned a church down in Norway though, how could anyone listen to something connected to such a violent act.

I think the band was called Creed maybe, I can't remember though.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Texas was a part of Mexico.
    And Texas was also it's own country. They had their very own President and military and everything.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

Are you american? Europe country kekw

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    Right, blackened melodic deathcore isn't the same as thall, which isnt the same as thrash. I think a lot of normies hear metal and think Enter Sandman or Linkin Park.

As a big metalcore fan though, if it chugs, I like.
    There are different genres of metal.

Power metal

Folk metal

melodic death metal

New wave of traditional heavy metal(which seeks to recreate the sounds of classic bands like Iron Maiden)

And more genres..

There are different genres of metal.
    That's literally what I said.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Quote Originally Posted by Dalinos View Post
    Nah mate, you're the obtuse one, since you're trying to compare a continent-sized country (the U.S of A) with a population of 340 million to countries in Europe (which have populations between 6 million and 80 million).
    <gestures>

See what this guy wrote, people? And you're whining about the original poster who (clearly) just misused "countries" when he meant "abroad," while this guy is getting upset at not comparing the United States to all of Europe.

This is the definition of hypocrisy.
    Last edited by Infinity Cubed; 2022-05-27 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Athredas View Post
    There's a LOT of tribalism there and not that much of overlap. It's not very likely to find a fan of metalcore that would be also into symphonic power metal.
    I frequent a number of metal forums, go to metal shows, and know plenty of metalheads. Not everyone likes ALL styles, but almost EVERYONE I speak to or see posting on forums likes a variety of styles, there is very much a great deal of overlap. Now, most people do tend to have favorite styles, some dudes like power and traditional metal more than death metal or doom metal, some dudes tend to favor more extreme metal over old school metal, but that doesn't stop the vast majority of them from listening to stuff in other styles outside their favorites as well. Me, I favor power/traditional and thrash, but my music collection includes prog, doom, death, black, metalcore...even nu metal if you put SOAD or Disturbed in that category(some do, some don't).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    Whether Europe is or is not one country, is something we will have to decide another day.
    Nope, because there is nothing to decide here. Europe is not a country. End of discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
    Nope, because there is nothing to decide here. Europe is not a country. End of discussion.
    Sure it is, but only when a European wants to get angry at an American and prove how superior all of Europe is to the United States, losing their shit at the sheer audacity of comparing the United States to a single country in Europe. Then it's effectively a singular country, but only because of that. Apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    You mean a country with a wildly diverse population from the entire world filled with countless cultures, vs 2 racially homogenous countries and the EU which is made up of pretty much all racially homogenous countries and limited cultures? Do I really need to find data for what is clearly a common sense statement? Brazilians live here, Japanese live here, and all sorts of EU country members live here... in decently great numbers.

So yeah, common sense statement, in a country with a diverse population, the people in that country will be exposed to an eclectic musical selection. Metal just has more competition here. And honestly Metal had its time in the 80s.

You are also taking the statement that Metal is more popular or has a wider fanbase in other countries, completely on face value. Have you asked for the statistics to back that up? I've been to a number of metal, rock, etc... shows I've seen nothing indicating there wasn't a healthy mix of people there.
    This post is a clear statement of how you have no idea what you're talking about. Brazil isn't a homogeneous country. More immigrants have passed and raised families in Brazil than the US. Brazil has almost 1/3 of all the african ethnicity, and that's only for 50% of the population.

>You are also taking the statement that Metal is more popular or has a wider fanbase in other countries, completely on face value
    I never said that throughout the thread. My only post was asking for your data, as you're clearly completely oblivious about what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by gblSweet View Post
    This post is a clear statement of how you have no idea what you're talking about. Brazil isn't a homogeneous country. More immigrants have passed and raised families in Brazil than the US. Brazil has almost 1/3 of all the african ethnicity, and that's only for 50% of the population.

>You are also taking the statement that Metal is more popular or has a wider fanbase in other countries, completely on face value
    I never said that throughout the thread. My only post was asking for your data, as you're clearly completely oblivious about what you're talking about.
    Well it is partly from youtube videos i have seen on the subject of heavy metal.

Like the late and great Ronnie James Dio said that in some places, metal is a way of life.

Well it is partly from youtube videos i have seen on the subject of heavy metal.

Like the late and great Ronnie James Dio said that in some places, metal is a way of life.
    Brazil has a lot of habitants and having a metal show from a foreign band here isn't common as it is in US, a lot of the fanbase travels just to see a band live, there's also a lot of people from neighbor countries that travels to Brazil as most bands don't tour South America as they should. So all foreigner shows here tends to be massive, like this: https://youtu.be/tsaKuddmmi8

But that doesn't mean at all that brazilians have a "metal way of life" or anything of the sort. Brazilian music is huge in its own country, I mean, REALLY huge: https://www1.folha.uol.com.br/intern...wn-music.shtml

And unfortunately metal isn't a genre that has a prolific national scene compared to other genres: samba, axé, funk (not the american one), pagode, etc.
    As a metalhead myself I'm used to travel to other states just to watch a band I like to see it live, and I'm privileged to live in a city that most metal band tours goes to, but we're exceptions to the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by gblSweet View Post
    Brazil has a lot of habitants and having a metal show from a foreign band here isn't common as it is in US, a lot of the fanbase travels just to see a band live, there's also a lot of people from neighbor countries that travels to Brazil as most bands don't tour South America as they should. So all foreigner shows here tends to be massive, like this: https://youtu.be/tsaKuddmmi8

But that doesn't mean at all that brazilians have a "metal way of life" or anything of the sort. Brazilian music is huge in its own country, I mean, REALLY huge: https://www1.folha.uol.com.br/intern...wn-music.shtml

And unfortunately metal isn't a genre that has a prolific national scene compared to other genres: samba, axé, funk (not the american one), pagode, etc.
    As a metalhead myself I'm used to travel to other states just to watch a band I like to see it live, and I'm privileged to live in a city that most metal band tours goes to, but we're exceptions to the rule.
    Here is the video i mean.

I am german and i like metal.

Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Cubed View Post
    Also it's always amusing to me how Europeans like to include all of Russia as "theirs" when it suits them, when 75+% of it is clearly in Asia.
    Maybe because the vast majority of Russias population is in the 25%.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank goodness for WSOU.

Where I live, Metal is alive and well. We even have classic rock stations who play metal during evening hours.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.