Thread: Help work PC

Help work PC

Hi, any advice for a (mainly) work build?

• Budget: 1000 EUR
    • Resolution: 1440p
    • System Purpose (gaming, workstation, HTPC, etc): work, casual gaming
    • If a gaming system, what games and settings are desired?: DBD, whatever
    • Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc): No
    • Do you plan to overclock?: Yes
    • Preferred Stores / Sites: Amazon
    • Parts that can be reused: Yes, see below
    • Do you need an OS?: No
    • Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?: No

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor (€300.25 @ Amazon Espana)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 64.95 CFM CPU Cooler (REUSE)
    Motherboard: MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (€189.99 @ Amazon Espana)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory (€139.97 @ Amazon Espana)
    Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€128.99 @ Amazon Espana)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 570 4 GB GAMING X Video Card (REUSE)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 ATX Mid Tower Case (REUSE)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€140.09 @ Amazon Espana)
    Total: €899.29
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-05-26 20:09 CEST+0200

10+ Year Old Account
    What work do you do?

Because you'd probably be better off with a less powerful CPU and upgrading your GPU if you plan on playing at 1440p if you don't need the CPU for work

Or at the very least, unless youre actually going to manually OC that thing, drop that motherboard to a B660. Itll still boost over 5ghz on two cores and to 4.8 all core. And make sure you order the new mounting bracket from Noctua far enough out that you have it when its time to build. Socket 1700 requires a new bracket.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    What work do you do?

Because you'd probably be better off with a less powerful CPU and upgrading your GPU if you plan on playing at 1440p if you don't need the CPU for work
    Since his current GPU cost is “Zero”, theres no way dropping down to a 12400 (and a B660) would net enough budget to buy a new GPU. Not even a low end one.

Hi there, thanks for the answer. I already bought it and built it (needed it asap), don't plan on gaming much right now so don't mind the gpu.

Yes, I bought the mounting bracket on Amazon with everything else (cheaper and faster than shipping from Noctua website).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Since his current GPU cost is “Zero”, theres no way dropping down to a 12400 (and a B660) would net enough budget to buy a new GPU. Not even a low end one.
    Would've probably made sense to also drop a couple other things a tier or two down to a more modern GPU, but since he says he doesn't plan on gaming it doesn't really matter.

Not really anything to drop. Hes not paying for the cooler or the case either. He would only save about ~45 Euro dropping the RAM to 16GB.

Especially with European pricing.. that wouldn't get you a modern GPU that is any better than a 570, really. I mean, like.. you could get the RX 5500. Which is like what.. 10% faster than a 570?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Not really anything to drop. Hes not paying for the cooler or the case either. He would only save about ~45 Euro dropping the RAM to 16GB.

Especially with European pricing.. that wouldn't get you a modern GPU that is any better than a 570, really. I mean, like.. you could get the RX 5500. Which is like what.. 10% faster than a 570?
    Yeah, fair point.

Very happy with the performance! 12600k + P5 Plus + 32GB ram is much better than 4690k + MX500 + 16 GB!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alantor View Post
    Hi there, thanks for the answer. I already bought it and built it (needed it asap), don't plan on gaming much right now so don't mind the gpu.

Yes, I bought the mounting bracket on Amazon with everything else (cheaper and faster than shipping from Noctua website).
    If you don't plan on gaming then drop the GPU completely.
    I have the same CPU and no GPU as I'm waiting on next-gen. The Intel UHD 770 is plenty fast for even light gaming. It's running WoW at 4k and graphical preset on 4 at 40-60 fps.