Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Are we witnessing a new wave of puritanism in the United States?

have been noticing more than other that Conservatives are trying to ban stuff like books in libraries, Arizona's state candidate wants to ban condoms, nationally.
    Another Senator is proposing to forbid non married couples to access birth control.

Plus Conservatives are in a panic over there being furries in schools.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/furry-...public-schools

Did we just discover a time machine and suddenly went back to the 1800's?

I know the Puritans were not anything like that, but the stereotype of Puritans is that they were people who were morally and sexually repressed and called everyone sinners.
    Last edited by Axelthefox; 2022-05-29 at 09:01 PM.

You're not thinking about Puritans, you're thinking simply about extreme Christian fundamentalism and theocracies.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    You're not thinking about Puritans, you're thinking simply about extreme Christian fundamentalism and theocracies.

I noticed too when i try to debate fundamentalists on the bible when they attack LGBT+ people and mention that the bible also says that people can't eat pork,can't work on the sabbath,can't have tattoos.

They are like that's old testament, and i'm like well, it's a few passages from the clobber passages that are used to bash LGBT people, so why they follow some passages, but ignore the rest?

And supposedly if you hate furries, you're anti-LGBTQ+

https://soatok.medium.com/if-you-hat...t-cce35a948a57

Quote Originally Posted by Axelthefox View Post
    I noticed too when i try to debate fundamentalists on the bible when they attack LGBT+ people and mention that the bible also says that people can't eat pork,can't work on the sabbath,can't have tattoos.

They are like that's old testament, and i'm like well, it's a few passages from the clobber passages that are used to bash LGBT people, so why they follow some passages, but ignore the rest?

As someone who has family that I can safely lump in with this, your aren't going to get logical consistency out of it, just double standards and hypocrisy.

Anyone else collecting welfare is a moocher but them or people they like on welfare is completely fine because they worked hard and rightfully needed and earned it or just lies that they are collecting it at all. Literally had someone calling people on welfare a welfare queen and a moocher while saying they didn't need it when I knew for a fact they spent years getting over 12k a year in benefits.

Or calling them out for a double standard in what they supported got those they disliked being against god as justification for why their people doing it was righteous but anyone responding or doing it back to them was the act of the devil.

While I am not educated on puritans, I really hope they weren't that level of hypocrite and actually practiced what they preached more. These are the people who will rail against abortion while silently getting one themselves.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

New implies that puritanism ended in the US. They only seem emboldened as of late because they've managed to score a few key court victories.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    New implies that puritanism ended in the US. They only seem emboldened as of late because they've managed to score a few key court victories.
    I wonder if the rise of the alt reich is partly responsible for it.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-right/549242/

One thing i have noticed too is that many places will ban NSFW content by way of a algorithm, but the algorithm often doesn't pick up on violent white supremacist content which is worst than NSFW content.

I wonder if the rise of the alt reich is partly responsible for it.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-right/549242/

One thing i have noticed too is that many places will ban NSFW content by way of a algorithm, but the algorithm often doesn't pick up on violent white supremacist content which is worst than NSFW content.
    The alt-reich is not new either. American racism often has some flimsy religious justification for it. They were doing their Christian duty in keeping slaves. Women were doing their duty by being subservient to men. People following the wrong religion or even the wrong form of Christianity were treated as pariahs.

that's because they don't decide that since the bible says something is evil they must condemn it
    they decide they must condemn something and so they cherry pick bible verses that can be interpreted as supporting their viewpoint and ignore anything that they can't twist to justify their personal bias

10+ Year Old Account
    Not "new" so much as "the old, existing form finally found its way to wheedle into power as they desperately cling for relevance."

And that's basically been by ignoring actual democratic procedures and decorum to levvy the power of a select few. See... The electoral college picking Trump, the GOP passing restrictive voting rights in an effort to disenfranchise minority/young voters who vote against them, the GOP selectively holding up and then rushing supreme court nominations, and then their supreme court working to place into effect partisan conservative dogma in opposition to the wants of the voter.

Young people are not skewing more conservative, nor are millenials/Gen Z as they've grown up. Conservatives are losing the demographic war in the long run, so they're fighting as hard as possible to entrench themselves in ways that voters can't easily remove.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Nothing new.

Just some really awful people poking trashcans with a stick constantly so you notice the rats and vermin more.

Re: "McCarthyism."
    Nothing new.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Re: "McCarthyism."
    Nothing new.
    Hey at the very least McCarthyism demonized Russia; the current batch of particularly deplorable conservatives wont even do that. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Is it telling that every conservative leader in the past 70 years would be spinning in their graves, in one way or another, at how terrible the modern conservative party has become? And that's saying something.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Funny, the extreme left have been Puritans for years. It’s not a new phenomenon, there have been plenty of people wanting to tell other people how to live their lives forever, Republicans hardly have a monopoly.

Quote Originally Posted by D3thray View Post
    Funny, the extreme left have been Puritans for years. It’s not a new phenomenon, there have been plenty of people wanting to tell other people how to live their lives forever, Republicans hardly have a monopoly.
    Excellent. Our first “both sides” rebuttal.

We’re not talking about Republicans. We’re talking about American Social Conservatives. They largely vote GOP nowadays but that wasn’t always the case. They even used to start Civil Wars.

Can you explain how the American “left” likes to tell people how to live their lives? Are we going to get a huge rant about cancel culture?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Excellent. Our first “both sides” rebuttal.

We’re not talking about Republicans. We’re talking about American Social Conservatives. They largely vote GOP nowadays but that wasn’t always the case. They even used to start Civil Wars.

Can you explain how the American “left” likes to tell people how to live their lives? Are we going to get a huge rant about cancel culture?
    You clearly already know how, so why do I need to elucidate it for you?

10+ Year Old Account
    You clearly already know how, so why do I need to elucidate it for you?
    Maybe he doesn't.

I'm going to wager your response is going to include some level of "Random people from 'the radical left' being mean on twitter/private companies banning people on twitter is equal to actual conservative politicians advocating the dissolution of women's rights and institutionalized disenfranchisement of minorities and the young"

Newsflash: it isn't.

And if your retort isn't just some piss-poor take on the above, elucidate away.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Conservative are puritanical by name. The talking heads are full of shit though. They sow and harvest fear, exploiting human nature and biases. And like others have said, its nothing new in the US. Ideas contrary to conservative ones are whats "new" in the US.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Funny, the extreme left have been Puritans for year
    my dude, you are the ones that want to stop teaching sex ed in schools, you are the ones that want to ban books from schools, you are the ones that want make women into nothing but baby incubators. YOU ARE THE ONE'S THAT SHIT YOUR PANTS OVER A TRANS WOMAN COMPETTING IN SPORTS. shut the fuck up.

conservatives stop projecting your inadequacies onto the rest of us challenge 2022: impossible.

- - - Updated - - -

it's really hilarious how right wingers have to evoke the extreme left (all 12 of them who post on tumblr) to try and gloss over the fact sitting, elected republican senators are out here suggesting that states should have the right to deny interracial marriage. yeah, that's totally not telling other people how they should live their lives, pathetic hack.
    Last edited by uuuhname; 2022-05-30 at 02:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Baseless "both sides" deflection nonsense.

The "puritanism" on the Left boils down to "hey, stop abusing innocent people just trying to live their lives." Which is the antithesis of Puritanism, which has always been about attacking and bullying innocent people who just want to be left alone.

Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    it's really hilarious how right wingers have to evoke the extreme left (all 12 of them who post on tumblr) to try and gloss over the fact sitting, elected republican senators are out here suggesting that states should have the right to deny interracial marriage. yeah, that's totally not telling other people how they should live their lives, pathetic hack.
    Damn which ones are doing that?